Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Weight loss drugs: Worth it or Not?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SiennaBear2
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Weight loss drugs: Worth it or Not?Page 1 of 1    
So for a while I have known about some medications for weight loss but recently new medications have come to light that they are using off label to treat obesity. Obesity is defined as a BMI of at or above 30kg/m^2. Weight loss medication is a seemingly unconventional way to treat obesity. Not many people are aware of medications for weight loss or their possible side affects. Since obesity has such a high prevalence of 39% (CDC, 2017) the medical profession has been increasingly focused on developing clinical evidence based pharmacological treatments for the chronic disease. Medications investigated and trialed for use in obesity treatment includes anorectics (andrenergic amines), SNRI (serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor) , NDRI (norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitor), anti-antileptics/anti-convulsion and lipase inhibitors. These medications may be used as part of a mono-therapy, combination or trio-therapy.

Stimulants/andrenergic amines: 1950: Includes amphetamine derivations like phentermine (brands Adipex-P, Suprenza, and Ionamin) that act as a central nervous system stimulant that result in increased energy and appetite suppression. Side affects include less severe side affects like dry mouth, dizziness and constipation to more serious cardiovascular issues. Still available today.
1970-1980: fenfluramine and dexfenfluramine similar to phentermine (brands Pondimin, Fen-Phen and Redux) however was suspended after heart damage (cardiac valvulopathy) in 1997.
SNRI: 1998: Sibutramine (brands Reductil, Meridia, Siredia, Sibutrex) works similar to the stimulants by acting as a CNS stimulants, increasing energy and suppressing appetite. Removed off the market in 2010 after it was found it increased the risk of heart attack and stroke
NDRI: 1989 approved for depression, 2014 for obesity: Buproprion (brands Wellbutrin and Zyban) is an atypical antidepressant that is a norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitor and nicotenic receptor antagonist. Buproprion increases motivation to exersize/energy and suppresses appetite. Side affects are similar to those of other anti-depressants and may side affects like anxiety, dry mouth and insomnia.
Lipase Inhibitor: 2007 approved: Orlistat (brand Orlistat and Xenical) inhibits pancreatic lipase, an enzyme that breaks down triglycerides in the intestine. This results in less fat being absorbed by the body and the undigested fat being passed out of the body. Side affects include gastrointestinal and stool issues and possibly kidney and liver damage and less absorption of fat soluble vitamins (A,D, E, K).
Opiate Antagonists: 2014 approved for weight loss: Naltrexone (brand Contrave) is a opioid antagonist that blocks the affect of opioids. Typically it was used to reverse the affects of other opiates and opioids drugs but recently it has been combined with buproprion in a product called Contrave, to curb hunger cravings and increase weight loss efforts. Side affects are similar to anti-depressants but also may include increases in blood pressure, mood changes and seizures.
Anti-convulsants: 2012 approved for weight loss: Topirimate (Topamax) typically was used to treat seizures and migraines and works by stabilizing electrical brain activity by enhancing GABA and decreasing glutamate action. As a result it can decrease appetite. It was approved in 2012 as a combination medication (Qsymia) that contains phentermine and topirimate. Side affects can include tiredness/drowsiness, tingling, coordination issues and memory issues.

Ok so now that is over the whole point of discussing this in the first place was both as an educational piece and to just say that I'm astounded quite frankly that they are prescribing serious medications like Topirimate as a weight loss drug. Obviously the side affects weren't as serious as fenfluramine and dexfenfluramine but still. I guess it is up to the individual and their doctor to weigh the possible risks vs possible benefits. I would just hope that when people do trial these drugs they are fully aware of the possible side affects, including the serious ones. I personally tried topirimate for my migraines and it gave me such bad memory problems and that is apparently common. Also I'm actually mildly disturbed that the fat blocker Orlistat can cause kidney and liver damage, since I actually was trying it myself at one point. Lets hope in the future some safer weight loss medications come out.
 rednwhiterider
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Weight loss drugs: Worth it or Not?
Posted: 9/18/2018 3:56:22 PM
If my doctor was having me "try" different drugs to see what "might" work...
I would meet more doctors.

Pills are not the answer, unless dispensing physician approved.
Doctors here cost 2-300$ for about 6 minutes.
Of their time. My time more like 3 hrs.
They toss hope like its candy at a parade.
Your belief is worth more than some nine dollar pill

Weight loss is tough but easy.
More exorcism less introduction.

In fact scrubious pip sings a great introdiction.

Edit to clarify:
Scrubious Pip "Introdiction".
Posted: 9/28/2018 4:57:28 AM
NOOOOOO
Just for the drug companies to make $$$
If a drug existed that would take and keep weight off without being dangerous there would be no obese people.

Its simple, but not easy to lose weight by eating a lot of veggies, fruit and beans. It gets easier to keep it off by eating the right foods the rest of your life.

Many many threads on this topic. Addiction to foods are real is one thread title I recall.
 SiennaBear2
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2018 8:51:01 AM
I should mention that while some like Orlistat the fat blocker ARE effective, the amount of weight loss they resulted in was not really that much.
I tried it and I went off it because you have to take it with every meal and basically I pooped oil and it was over 100 dollars for a months worth.
Topirimate I was on for migraine and the issues with memory were so bad O had to stop it.
Buproprion not even approved here as an antidepressant so I wasn't allowed it but my doctor reckons it caused suicides.
 Danzo86
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2018 8:55:58 PM
try to cut out carbohydrates, breads,frys,potatoes,rice,pasta replace with brown rice brown pasta limit the amount though, triple your water intake, cut out all sugary drinks, try to avoid sugar if you need a little sweetness use natural honey, snack nuts seeds often, try to work out first thing in the morning last thing at night daily, if you struggle keep going it gets easier, do not starve yourself you will put weight on like that. good luck
 SiennaBear2
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2018 11:33:10 AM
The only thing I agree with in that is cutting potato and high carb fruits and soda.
Starving long term does metabolic damage.
 jerseynative7
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2018 3:07:39 PM
Sienna, youre 5'2 and weigh 137 lbs. Hardly overweight or obese. Doctors dont prescribe weight loss drugs unless youre BMI is 30 or more.
 RefinedRibbon
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2018 7:36:07 PM
Water pills and eating low sodium light chicken and turkey snack with nuts and berry stay off white bread stick with whole grain eat 5 to 6 small meals a day eating and chewing softly not eating fast. 30 mins on the treadmill and weight machines. Using bcaa shredz to help cramps and relax the muscles in to place before work out and after. Drinking plenty of water. Being positive self care and self love going to bed early and waking up early. Make a schedule for yourself keep yourself busy. Go with non fluoride toothpaste it will get rid of thyroid problems. But also start making your own means don't eat out stay of sugar and salt and use peanut oil when cooking. Meditate and do yoga get 15 mins fresh air and ground daily.
 RefinedRibbon
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2018 7:39:44 PM
Really its all mind don't really needs meds People just need the right guidance I have taken many courses fitness and health as Master Teacher with stress management. its starts of letting go of the fear loving yourself think positive mind body and soul what you think and say mold yourself do it for you takes time. You have to say I am beautiful I am me in the mirror daily. Get away from watching the news and magazines focus on you value and let it embrace once you get go of worry you start shedding. Water pills may work for a while but all these fads for diets the natural way has all way's been the best.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2018 2:35:35 PM
[quote[ If a drug existed that would take and keep weight off without being dangerous there would be no obese people.

We need a drug that makes being obese a healthy choice.

Then we would have a lot of happy people.
 SiennaBear2
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2018 9:16:14 AM
Kinda wanna try Phentermine but doctors are so Anal in australia.
Although I'd mainly want it for autonomic arousal not so much weight loss. Kinda like caffeine.
I took orlistat back when I had a bmi of 30, wasn't that great honestly.
 Strangemix
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2019 11:53:05 AM
There is absolutely no substitute or any quick fix and no "secret" to losing excess bodyfat and water. None, nothing, zero.

It's down to hard work and dedication and a little basic knowledge over the long term and doing what's necessary to stay in shape.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2019 5:27:43 AM
Basically, you buy your own food (don't count on mama's "home cooking"; ixnay on that outside Holidays) -- and count your calories. Counting by itself does wonders. Not estimating. Counting to a tee. It keeps you aware.

To keep your caloric intake down, which is the main problem:
- Eat a high protein diet. Things like high-protein whey power mixtures are good dietary bang for your buck, plus calorie for calorie, help curb your appetite. Take a couple of these a day. There's some with a high amino amt that helps calorie burning too.

- Eat a higher fiber diet. You don't have to count them as 'real carbs'. Your body works on it for a while, and heeds asking for more. You can get some that don't result so much in bloat, too.

- Take 5-HTP supplements. Ups your seretonin and decreases your carb cravings. In a nutshell, keeps your appetite down.

- You can try Garcinia. Varies on brands & people, but when it clicks, it's great. It's natural, and you basically take it an hour or so before you'd sit down for a meal.

- Take in stimulants like caffeine. Take tea instead of coffee and spread it out, if you don't drink coffee much due to jitters. Stimulants as found in dietary pills don't so much burn more calories as they suppress your appetite.

- Drink a lot of water. Higher than "daily recommendation". It helps curb your appetite and also keeps you from water bloat too, ironically.

- With this, it makes it easier to avoid sugary foods. This includes certain fruits that are high in sugar, although they tend to be better due to having decent fiber in them usually. Basically, aim for lower carb vs protein & fat. But count the calories and keep 'em lower VS counting the calories of what you tend to eat now.
 julystorm22
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2019 10:08:01 AM
Well, I am finally back down to 197 after going up to as high as 212 in December. I got to 197 in September but the cold weather always seems to hit me hard. My metabolism slows and my energy level. I find it really hard to exercise. And then my home care clients try to stuff me with baked goods and chocolates in December and my willpower goes to hell. After Christmas I started going again to the walking track and doing stairs and I got a blender for Christmas (my old one broke back in June) and I'm back to making smoothies and drinking lots of green tea. Its helped me shed some pounds but I seem to get stuck at 197. A couple days ago I was at the grocery store and noticed a big box of garcinea cambogea marked down by 75% because it was expired so I'm giving it a try. My goal weight is 162 pounds by my 36th birthday on July 24th, something I set in July of 2017 with a dietician I saw.

Sometimes I worry that I've become a bit too obsessed with my weight. And the truth is I don't know if its possible to truly feel good about myself until I can achieve my goal. Online dating seems to make it worse. I wish I didn't want to meet someone but when I decided to stop looking I stopped caring so much about losing weight and backslid. I'm ok with my weight now EXCEPT when it comes to dating. I'm trying to wrap my head around a better frame of mind regarding this. I need to find a good self-help video or something.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Weight loss drugs: Worth it or Not?