Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Date with someone your not into or go solo?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
Date with someone your not into or go solo?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Would you go on a date with someone your not into so the seat across from you isn't empty or just go solo and be surrounded by other couples? Not going isn't an option. Life is to short for that! And when I say not into, they aren't a bad person. Just not your first, second or third option.
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Date with someone your not into or go solo?
Posted: 9/23/2018 10:02:08 AM
maybe, but would be honest about it with her. while it is nice to have a 'friend' at certain functions, the wrong friend could reflect poorly on you.
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2018 10:09:03 AM
Where are you going OP where it's all couples and there would be an empty chair across from you?
Not sure what you're getting at. Do you have a woman friend who is single and would enjoy a free meal/ entertainment? A sister you could pretend is in town for a visit? Any other singles going to be there? Need details.
 mahwahgirl339114
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2018 10:47:47 AM
I go alone if not going is not an option. Going with someone you're not into is not a date, not fun, it's just bs.
 _Batmån
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2018 11:04:51 AM
The Batman would fly solo.
 SiennaBear2
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2018 11:39:57 AM
If they pay for my food maybe ;)
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2018 12:28:03 PM

Would you go on a date with someone your not into so the seat across from you isn't empty or just go solo and be surrounded by other couples?

Is it some formal couples-only outing with seat assignments, and "insert-my-female-date-here" is empty? I just wouldn't go if that's the case. But since you have to go -- I'm assuming it's a Wedding Reception, where everyone "brings a date". There's not going to be an Empty seat -- you're just meshed in with others, but you didn't bring a date. I've done that before. There'll sometimes be chicks without a male date. You then chase them. :)

Now, if it's already set up that you WERE bringing a date, and that assigned seat will be empty -- then just bring a friend. A dude, even. People do that. I'd choose that over bringing below-average-Barb who I'd have to get really drunk to make out with.
Posted: 9/23/2018 6:53:17 PM

Where are you going OP where it's all couples and there would be an empty chair across from you?
Not sure what you're getting at. Do you have a woman friend who is single and would enjoy a free meal/ entertainment? A sister you could pretend is in town for a visit? Any other singles going to be there? Need details.

Some of the things that I like to do where it's better to bring a date are -

New Years Eve - It's usually a place where it's dinner and dancing. Either mostly couples or groups of friends go. Most of what I see is couples.

Holiday parties. - Pretty much the same as NYE but without the ball falling at midnight.

Comedy Clubs - Could be groups of friends (I've done that) but mostly couples.

For the above, it's much better to go with a date. A lot of times the tables seat 10. So without a date the person would be sitting by themselves.

I like music, local bands and places that have a DJ (some call them clubs :) ) . Those are other places where it's better to go with someone. I've gone solo. Last week was a good example. There was a band in the area that I wanted to see so I went. There were a lot of couples and groups. The larger groups were from a boat show that was in town and a gathering of people in the mortgage business. I'm friendly and the dance floor is there for a reason so I just join in and make friends for the night. It's better and easier to go with someone but it's not the end of the world.

I do have some single and married female friends that I go out with. Sometimes they aren't available or they might not be interested in something I want to do. I had one year when I was single on NYE and none of my female friends were available to go out. I went solo. Just not to a place that had a sit down meal. I had a great time and kissed more women than I would have if I brought someone.
 ontheotherhand
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2018 7:11:51 PM
I've taken friends and gone alone. It all depends on what the function is.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2018 7:16:36 PM
LOL, I attended many work holiday dinners/dances, solo. I sat anywhere I wanted. I danced with married men, married women, single men and single ladies. I have attended wedding receptions solo. I have gone to social events, with my son, with my daughter, with my mom, with a GF, and male coworkers.

I hope to GOD I don't lay on my deathbed regretting all of the above!
 siisaa
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2018 8:06:12 PM
I'd attend solo or with a male friend, beats going with someone I"m "not into". I'd enjoy my friend's company over some pity date anyday.

I attended a friend's wedding solo a few months ago and had a blast. There was good music, good food and an open bar. I danced with a couple of guys & got some numbers (they were all single btw). Wow, that was a fun day! (smiles)
 cooldog65
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2018 8:19:22 PM
I would go solo. Being with someone I'm not into would make for a long evening. There's bound to be other solo people there.
 hemingway234
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2018 4:25:37 AM
There's nothing wrong with going to dinner with a friend, I do it often......... I have lady friends, associates, wing women. I can't date every woman on two legs. Take a number!
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2018 4:28:48 AM
If I liked them but didn’t fancy them then perhaps I would, but like siisaa has already stated probably taking a friend whose company I’m sure to enjoy would be the better option.
 TomásIasan
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2018 6:19:49 AM
That seat across from me was empty even when I was with someone they didn't go anyways, you kind of get used to it and people think your single even when your not. It was what it was a guy who couldn't get his lady to join him in leaving the happy abode for a few hours c'est la vie.
 Seahorse_Jockey
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/25/2018 6:45:32 AM
Why would you be with someone you're not into in the first place? If you're talking about a platonic friendship that you can't envision ever getting to the romantic level-the "into" phase, there's nothing wrong with people having opposite sex friends to socialize with-as long as it's clear to both that it won't lead to something that it's not.
Posted: 9/25/2018 8:11:40 AM
I'm looking at it like you have something you want to goto and it's usually better to have a date. No friends are available that night. You could take someone from POF or another dating site who is into you but you don't find them attractive and are not interested in them but they would be a person to hang out with that night. Or, you go solo. Which do you pick?

As I think about my own question more and what I usually do, it depends on the situation. I mentioned I like to see bands in the area. I rather do that solo if I'm not with someone I'm attracted to. There could be opportunity there. And if I did go with a female friend, depending on my "relationship" with her (FWB?), I could still be open to that opportunity. For other things like a comedy club, open holiday party where I might not know anyone else there or NYE, going with someone I'm not really into is better than sitting next to an empty seat. For other things, solo can be fine. Like a wedding. There are usually a lot of friendly, single people at weddings.
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2018 8:17:17 AM

I'm looking at it like you have something you want to goto and it's usually better to have a date. No friends are available that night. You could take someone from POF or another dating site who is into you but you don't find them attractive and are not interested in them but they would be a person to hang out with that night. Or, you go solo. Which do you pick?
SOLO!! not fair to your date and inviting from a dating site implies interest.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2018 7:42:44 PM
At NYE/Holiday parties -- unless it's couples-only that the couples themselves set up -- no, you don't need a date. There's single people there. As for Comedy Club outings -- well, what's weird by not going with a date? Afterwards, you usually have drinks at a bar, etc., so it's no different than catching up with some of your friends who are all couples at the bar. They aren't the only ones at the bar. You guys only sit at the "cool table" isolated alone?

If it's a couples-only thing privately held by couples-only, no, you don't Have to go to it if you don't have anything but a rotted-in-the-fridge date option to bring. Learn to live the single life -- you'll have more dates as options.
Posted: 9/26/2018 6:51:50 AM
The NYE/Holiday parties that I goto are at local restaurants. Some tables for two. Mostly tables for 10 people. Buffet dinner then dacning later. For myself, I usually have a good numbers of date options. Even if it's a married friend whos husband doesn't want to go out that night. But once in awhile the options are slim.
 ssm508
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2018 7:33:57 AM
I would go alone if I couldn't find a female friend. I have gone to places solo when my friends were with spouses and significant others. That didn't stop me from having a good time.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2018 9:36:30 PM

The NYE/Holiday parties that I goto are at local restaurants. Some tables for two.

If they're tables for two, it's not a group outing.

Mostly tables for 10 people. Buffet dinner then dacning later.

Bring a friend. Does the restaurant/bar with a dance floor ONLY have 1 table for 10-12 people? No other ladies there? You could skip the dinner and hang out with a buddy and catch up with your couple friends with him after their buffet and hit on the single fawns roaming around. :)
 mahwahgirl339114
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2018 12:06:07 AM
^^^For the love of God don't go to a NYE party with a date you're not digging, WHY? All the single people will be socializing, and kissing at midnight, you don't need a chaperone!
 julystorm22
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2018 4:11:09 PM
I went to my friend's wedding with my 8-year-old as my plus-one and that was nice. And I've gone to things solo which wasn't very much fun.

I think if I needed a date for something that took place around people I knew, I wouldn't just bring a random guy I've never met from POF. I might meet a guy for one date and then if he doesn't seem weird enough to embarrass me I might ask him to go to the event with me even if I don't think I want to date him. All it is is a second date and you don't need to be honest because actually, maybe you might like him better after a second date. Who can really say? Too often we dismiss people because we eliminate their potential too fast.
 mahwahgirl339114
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2018 5:14:48 PM
^^^It can be totally cool to invite someone to an event as an early date (for right or wrong reasons). I met a gentleman on here once, we had a first date and it was cool, and our second date was me inviting him to an office wedding. One of my reasons, since he was tall, good looking and obviously smart and with a nice job and everything, was to show him off to my female boss, who was the same age as me and a royal bytch to me. He enjoyed the wedding, it was an ethnic wedding so it was a new experience for him, and I thoroughly enjoyed my boss's surprised reaction.

We didn't work out though... he admitted to having played for both teams ("but it's more fun with girls"), and I just couldn't. Guys, don't divulge stuff like that.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Date with someone your not into or go solo?