Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > I'm shocked when I come across a real profile      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jplew92
Msg: 1
I'm shocked when I come across a real profilePage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Anyone else feel this way? Whenever I am online, I get about 9-10 meet me notifications. Every single one of them is a fake account with 1 or 2 photos of a strikingly good looking woman who is trying to get me to message them on a different platform. If I wait about 3-4 minutes, the account is gone. I think I've had about 200 meet me notifications since being on the site and maybe 2-3 of them are actually real people with good intentions.

I now just assume anyone that shows the slightest of interest in me is not real. I never realized just how toxic this website is....I'm not hating because I know that scammers are going to be common on a free site, but it feels like 95% of the website consists of scammers.
 JAXTC
Msg: 2
view profile
History
I'm shocked when I come across a real profile
Posted: 10/12/2018 12:40:44 PM
POF doesn’t really care to get rid of fake bot profiles since viewing them, people hitting yes back, etc. adds up to page clicks so they can show their advertisers how busy their site is. Same reason they promote having millions upon millions of users. If you remove all the profiles since the sites inception that are either long gone users, fake profiles, people who get booted off the site and or anyone that re-joins God knows how many times you’d actually get the true number of POF accounts that have signed up since its beginning. POF can use the fluff numbers to claim they are the World’s largest dating site to sell to their advertisers so they can get paid.

Don’t expect it to get any better. It’s only going to get worse.

Might as well converse with the bots, ask them out on a date and change your username to POF #1 Playboy
 jplew92
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/12/2018 12:46:04 PM
I guess some attention(even if it's fake) is better than no attention! Haha

I think my profile is pretty mediocre so I'm not expecting a lot of matches, but I was just surprised by how persistent the scammers are on this site.
 Tech30
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2018 2:30:10 PM
You wont get attention online from women. Women online pride themselves on how many men they ignore.

Dont chase women. Chase your dreams and women will st art to chase you when they see how happy and successful you are.
 JAXTC
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2018 2:39:48 PM
Don’t drive yourself insane over re-doing your profile infinite number of times with profile writing advice from every other person. Not everyone is going to agree what written profile is best.

POF is 90% pictures. Not just the pictures taken, not where, not what you are wearing but WHO IS IN THE PICTURE as the profile user. POF is basically hot or not. If you looked like a Greek God in your pictures not much else would matter about the pictures themselves and women would STILL reply and not just initiate conversations but keep them going.

What you have to realize is women on the main site are getting machine gun emailed by every guy in their area. So what they do is look at the thumbnail pictures, see who looks the best and just read/delete or just delete the rest while talking to, meeting, etc. the dudes she finds attractive and doesn’t seem like a faked model looking profile.

If you could. It’s not a feature anymore. Would be to log out of your profile and search as a woman for the men in your area. White, 6ft, and Athletic. If you see a lot of dudes who are not only taller, have six packs and look ripped in the gym and there are a lot of those dudes profiles? That would be your gauge of getting any replies yourself if at all. Those are the dudes getting most replies back to emails sent.

I’m telling you. Women get hit up on the main site constantly. They can’t read every message. They look at the thumbnails and go for the hottest looking, tall and Athletic. It’s like free shopping where only the “best” items are getting snatched off the shelves and the other “rubbish” is read/delete material.

Yet you’ll get told to have better pictures taken. Pictures don’t mean much unless the person in the picture is a tall, athletic, good looking guy.

Don’t believe me? Ask me how I know. I’ve tested it a while back and the results weren’t surprising to me in the least. POF on the main site is a majority hot or not contest in regards to who replies, how many replies and practically no matter what said hot dude says.

Anyone who thinks it makes no difference in regards to the person who’s profile it is in the pictures just LOL.

Think about it.

Take one profile of a ripped, tall, good looking dude and have the picture of him sitting in sweats on his couch.

Then take a picture of an average looking dude with a picture of him walking on the Great Wall of China.

Guess which picture is going to get not only better replies, more replies but meets?
 flowersinthelake
Msg: 6
view profile
History
I'm not shocked when people ignore real profiles.
Posted: 10/13/2018 3:14:21 AM

You wont get attention online from women. Women online pride themselves on how many men they ignore.

I find that the majority of these complaints come from men who don't get the women they think they deserve. There is no lack of women; there is a variety of women, but most varieties are ignored by many women-seeking men who chase the Barbie equivalent to boost their morbidly obese egos.

Some men pride themselves in doing nothing more than just merely existing and stop at thinking that is enough to get the illusive Barbie in online dating they think they're owed and never have.

Perhaps if they were to diversify their pursuits and not do it according to who'll subsidize their children and income and actually start seeing women as people, they'll have more options. It'll reduce the amount of wasted whines stopping up forums in "why not me" posts,e where nobody actually gives a shit about their dating problems.
Posted: 10/13/2018 3:50:04 AM

I find that the majority of these complaints come from men who don't get the women they think they deserve. There is no lack of women; there is a variety of women, but most varieties are ignored by many women-seeking men who chase the Barbie equivalent to boost their morbidly obese egos.

Some men pride themselves in doing nothing more than just merely existing and stop at thinking that is enough to get the illusive Barbie in online dating they think they're owed and never have.

Perhaps if they were to diversify their pursuits and not do it according to who'll subsidize their children and income and actually start seeing women as people, they'll have more options. It'll reduce the amount of wasted whines stopping up forums in "why not me" posts,e where nobody actually gives a shit about their dating problems.

Nailed it! Post of the year!
 purplerider1200
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2018 5:27:02 AM
Morbidly obese egos.

I like that term. Now I have to decide who fits that description. A couple posters comes to mind.

My definition of that term, (or part of it) is someone that makes the selector look good, along side them, to impress their friends. Since I personally don't operate that way, I'd have to observe them for awhile, just to see how much the selector has changed in behaveure.

There's more to it, obviously.
 Carnival_Fishing
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2018 5:54:31 AM

----------------------
Nailed it! Post of the year!

This applies to both genders. How many women pursue guys they don't find physically attractive, or guys who don't have two nickels to rub together? There are a lot of women who do just as much whining, about not being chased by Mr. Total Perfection.
 ssm508
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2018 9:27:42 AM

This applies to both genders. How many women pursue guys they don't find physically attractive, or guys who don't have two nickels to rub together? There are a lot of women who do just as much whining, about not being chased by Mr. Total Perfection.

Exactly. When I used OLD, I contacted plenty of women that I thought were okay looking (Not "Barbies") and got a low percentage of positive replies. There are also many women that have a long list of rigid requirements on their profile. If anything, women in general might be more picky because of the gender ratio. Men can outnumber women 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 in some areas. In particular for people younger than 40.
 ohenryx
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2018 9:43:35 AM

Both posts contain a great deal of truth. This is something that is not limited to men, or to women. It seems to be a part of the human condition. I give you a quote from that great 19th century poet, Robert Browning:

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?

For a less poetical, and more profane, treatise on this subject try reading a bit over on laddertheory.com. Yes, much profanity, yes, some misogyny, but still a great degree of truth. People (most people) do work, constantly and assiduously, trying to move up that ladder.

I myself freely admit that I pursue women who are above me on that ladder. I always have admitted that.

And I have remarked before, more than once, here in these forums and elsewhere – the best, the happiest relationships that I have personally observed, over the course of my life, are where both parties think they are with someone whom they don’t deserve, someone whom they were very very lucky to find and land.

In other words, someone higher on the ladder than themselves.

ON EDIT: A few words to the original poster. I see that you are 26 years old. Forget about online dating, in your demographic, men outnumber women 10 to 1 or even worse. Get out in the real world.
Posted: 10/13/2018 1:40:59 PM
I see some very good looking women on here (not working girls) and think they won't be here long. Then I see they are still here months later and sometimes years later.
 JAXTC
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2018 3:29:04 PM
I find that the majority of these complaints come from men who don't get the women they think they deserve.

^^^ This is an admission of my point being it’s obvious as all hell in the years of all types of men complaining and the “advice” given to them is “work on your profile / pictures” yet we do not see the top LOOKING dudes complaining because I guess they only deserve to be responded to by the majority of women that frequent this site as lifers. The majority of men don’t deserve pretty much any woman on POF as count the complaints, profile reviews, lack of replies etc.

So if the majority of men don’t deserve the majority of women let alone get ZERO responses from any women then let’s not act like it’s their “profile and pictures” because it means the majority of women are all chasing and replying to the tops in looks / income of men.

I’ve proven that to myself as a 100% FACT with two dudes I know in real life. Profiles were real pictures and I know these dudes get women goo-goo over them in real life and never have had to use OLD.

Both tall, damn good looking dudes, tall and ripped.

Anyone ever telling me different If I could I’d have them sit right next to me have them pick a location. Run the test and they’d have ZERO to say but yep. It’s all about who the dude is in the pictures. Profile writing, fancy pictures in exotic locations with an average dude? No matter how good the profile was? I’d put those profiles up against the tests I ran any day and it would be an embarrassing slaughter.

I see some very good looking women on here (not working girls) and think they won't be here long. Then I see they are still here months later and sometimes years later

Really makes you wonder why some of these women need to use OLD to begin with. I mean seriously how much trouble can an attractive woman have getting date in real life? Unless she has serious issues, has burned many bridges, is a basket case, attention seeker, or damaged in some way.

I can understand if they have kids or are older and aren’t hanging out in clubs or parties due to friends being married etc. But still an attractive woman can meet men much easier as they get hit on constantly.

If you wind up talking to these types you slowly start seeing the red flags popping up then you understand why they are not only needing to use OlD on God knows how many sites but are on the sites for literally years.

I spoke with one chick who is very attractive and is STILL on this site after I left YEARS ago. It’s a real profile. Real person. The chick has changed pics a few times.

She responded as I asked her why she is still on this site for X number of years. She replied: “I still haven’t found the one yet. Dumb question.” And then blocked me. Literally that fast. LMFAO. No surprise the chick has to be mentally ill.
 Spectrallight
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/13/2018 7:00:33 PM

Really makes you wonder why some of these women need to use OLD to begin with. I mean seriously how much trouble can an attractive woman have getting the date in real life? Unless she has serious issues, has burned many bridges, is a basket case, attention seeker, or damaged in some way.

A lot of attractive women don't get approached to be fair as men have no stones in their sacks. It's pretty common when out and about.

However, A good lady friend of mine in the past said to me. She would never online date, and any woman that is must have issues then she went on to point out that she had issues so what were theirs like.

I've done it all on here, relationship, dated, and there are some very unstable women. The funny thing is the lass that was honest about her mental health was the sane one. She had it quite bad to.

It's the sense of entitlement these days that make me giggle. I love a good list, I do. But, I do still know decent women exist even though it may seem at times they don't.
 Iredurbio2
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2018 1:15:18 AM
You guys should at least be happy that ten foot poles don't leave any marks
for all your future prospects to see!
 JAXTC
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2018 11:57:09 AM

You guys should at least be happy that ten foot poles don't leave any marks
for all your future prospects to see!

If they care to count fake profiles, gold diggers, attention seekers, the dysfunctional, alcoholics, drug addicts, time wasters, and other assorted types that frequent the main site as prospects.

Actual quality prospects are the women who haven't bothered putting up a profile on a site like POF. The site is pretty amusing though.
 dinno76
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/14/2018 4:45:15 PM
Trying to find a sane woman these days is harder than finding a needle in a haystack.
Posted: 10/14/2018 4:57:15 PM
^^^^ You ought to try finding a sane man. They are pretty much non existant.
 Spectrallight
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/14/2018 5:24:07 PM
It's not about sanity. If we all stop being full of sh*t. Sorted!
Posted: 10/15/2018 3:38:36 AM
^^^ Really?! I think sanity is a fairly important quality. I know guys like to say, crazy chicks are great in bed. That just doesn't hold true for cray cray men, it still doesn't up their love making ability. Otherwise we would have a whole boat load of women looking for head to the clock tower with a loaded weapon bat shyte crazy dudes. I've yet to hear of a woman looking for a man that fits that particular description, although they are plentiful. Oh, wait, maybe that is why you boys in this thread have nothing better to do than whine endlessly about the women of POF. Oh , nevermind, There is NO WAY in hell any of YOU could be cray cray.
 MeramecRiverRat
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2018 4:30:05 AM

I think sanity is a fairly important quality. I know guys like to say, crazy chicks are great in bed. That just doesn't hold true for cray cray men, it still doesn't up their love making ability. Otherwise we would have a whole boat load of women looking for head to the clock tower with a loaded weapon bat shyte crazy dudes. I've yet to hear of a woman looking for a man that fits that particular description, although they are plentiful.

Many women are all over some crazy men like flies on ****. Charles Manson had a big harem, and a women still wanted to marry him as recently as a few years ago.

*Some* men say crazy women are great in bed. Many men seek a sane partner.

Wouldn't know how crazy men are in bed or whether they're better, but it makes sense some "crazy" men would be better because they would just go with their urges instead of being affected by the logical distractions a sane man would notice.

If forced to answer which gender is more likely to fall for a crazy partner, I would say women are.
 hemingway234
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/15/2018 6:49:33 AM

*Some* men say crazy women are great in bed.

- it would not surprise me. Anybody who says that is not very smart, and stands a good chance of ending up in a world of pain. Imagine an unplanned pregnancy and then you are tied to the woman for 18+ years.

Sanity is very important, it is a requirement for a person to be a good catch. I'd say it's one of the cornerstones.

For a match, you need sanity, mutual attraction, integrity, a positive attitude, and not too many deal breaking problems. The list of possible mental disorders is long, the list of possible problems even longer. Money and looks should be the least of your worries. That's it in a nutshell. Not so easy to find on dating site riddled with people with problems. And if any one of those things is missing from either person, there will be trouble in paradise, at least at some point.

There is good news though - you only need to find one.
 Spectrallight
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/15/2018 8:45:35 AM

^^^ Really?! I think sanity is a fairly important quality. I know guys like to say, crazy chicks are great in bed. That just doesn't hold true for cray cray men, it still doesn't up their love making ability. Otherwise we would have a whole boat load of women looking for head to the clock tower with a loaded weapon bat shyte crazy dudes. I've yet to hear of a woman looking for a man that fits that particular description, although they are plentiful. Oh, wait, maybe that is why you boys in this thread have nothing better to do than whine endlessly about the women of POF. Oh , nevermind, There is NO WAY in hell any of YOU could be cray cray.

Sanity is Important, but I think it doesn't necessarily come down to sanity on here. I think we're all insane to some extent. Seen what Terra is like on a whole ?

Mankind is the animal of bullsh*t. We're all full of sh*t and anybody that tries to say otherwise. Is the biggest Billy of them all. The person we bullsh*t most is ourselves and that's not just in the love game ;)

So people aren't allowed to vent frustration at things not going the way they hoped? Maybe if you took the real complaints on board. You might be better equipped with knowledge on how hurtful a place like this can be if someone is open to love with no barriers up. This is a 2 way thing. Men need to take it onboard as well.

Read between the lines is all I 'd say. These men can get laid easily, but they choose to vent in the hope that they can work through it and find the love of their lives.
At least they're being honest and letting Women know how they feel, but no I want an honest man is complete nonsense. It's more like I want a man that reflects my version of what honesty is. Again it's the same for Women.
Posted: 10/15/2018 10:14:14 AM

If forced to answer which gender is more likely to fall for a crazy partner, I would say women are.

Well then, if this is true, it's great news for many men. Not only on this thread but on this whole site. Perhaps we will finally see a thread from some guy that says, " I'm cray cray as hell, but I met a mighty fine woman". Instead of the usual whine of, "Those darn women have been on this site for years and are still here, and I still can't get a date."

There you go boys, just quit even attempting to hide your inner crazy until after the second date. Apparently, some women get really excited by a fecking nutbar. All hope is not lost. I will be expecting an update after you have let your true crazy loose. You are going to be fighting the chicks off!
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2018 11:57:10 AM

For a match, you need sanity, mutual attraction, integrity, a positive attitude, and not too many deal breaking problems.

And for instant wealth of 654 million dollars, you just need to pick the same numbers as the Lottery Commission.

The odds are about the same in both cases.

The list of possible mental disorders is long, the list of possible problems even longer.

And it seems like some people even put those things on their bucket lists.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > I'm shocked when I come across a real profile