Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Improving Drug Policy      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DDSearle
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Improving Drug PolicyPage 1 of 1    
The increasing tolerance for or legalization of cannabis consumption, as it obtains in Canada, the U S A &c, may be dangerous. It permits the browbeating of young persons by their peers to follow this silly fashion, in a similar manner to that in which, say, young women or African Americans are intimidated into voting for the Dems
The outcome arises slow and subtly. But the result is a countryfull of dopey, compliant, sometimes deluded people, who'd be less-than-useful in defending their land from Russian aggression or alien invasion
The remedy may be to legalise the consumption of other 'drugs' that would, at least, restore some balance to the system. And this could be applied without more danger. Folks could be allowed to cultivate opium poppies, coca shrubs and what-have-you; though not, to refine their active ingredients. And such a policy ought to be applied only with frequent information and warnings
 LGL1975
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Improving Drug Policy
Posted: 10/18/2018 10:59:32 AM
Our common law courts stopped sentencing people for simple possession a long time ago. A bigger issue is the NDP member's bill to give amnesty to anyone with a criminal record for possession. A blanket amnesty would make individuals involved in serious criminal activity eligible for travel to the United States.

The current president will certainly use this as part of his campaign to demolish NAFTA. Which is what Trudeau and the NDP want. The global elite want a global carbon tax on all the energy we consume. Something that isn't possible under the Canada-United States trade agreement.

For over 100 years western economic and military hegemony has been based on controlling the supply of oil necessary for industrialization and military expansion. Since the 1970's fake "energy crisis" Saudi Arabia and others have paid for American military "protection" with tribute from their oil monopoly. Purchasing American arms and investing their oil wealth in US markets. This has allowed the United States to maintain a large military despite a growing deficit. But this form of tribute will dry up when electric vehicles end big oil's monopoly.

A global carbon tax will replace the skim collected from Saudi Arabia. Even renewable energy will be carbon taxed based on the flawed economic theory that our consumption makes green energy unaffordable for developing economies. The elites are promoting their agenda with fake science that attempts to place blame for the inevitable global population extinction on consumers in developed countries. Instead we should understand how western elites created this problem.

Poor countries are overpopulated because western capitalism provides them with an abundance of cheap food and supports dysfunctional regimes while doing nothing to mitigate the long term consequences of its policies. When these rapidly growing populations run out of water or firewood and start to intrude on one another's living space there will be a Malthusian catastrophe.

Environmental catastrophes are becoming a regular occurrence because globalism allows countries to maintain unsustainable population growth that would not have occurred had these countries developed on their own without outside interference. When these people run out of rain forests to log and realize the topsoil has all washed away and the land no longer suitable for agriculture they will end up like the easter island people who doomed themselves to extinction.

Carbon tax revenues will create a slush fund to help poor countries deal with these problems in a manner that is agreeable to capitalism. By selling them arms with which to slaughter one another.
Improving Drug Policy
Posted: 10/18/2018 11:37:28 AM
America's drug policies have a long history of covering up a targeting of members of society. the first war against opium wasn't the white folk enjoying coca cola (where its name came from) or patients of Freud, it was the Chinese coolies who came to build the railroads and didn't leave. Nixon's war on drugs targeted the hippies and black panther candidates in the urban cities, not suburban moms using "mother's little helper" to get thru the day. Reagan's anti drug policy, while smuggling coke in on planes sent to deliver weapons to the contras, evolved into targeted crack users and the drug gangs, while wall streeters snorting blow got lesser sentences. Private prisons found storing all these fathers to be lucrative, something they hope to get back by storing captured immigrants.

NAFTA was created before internet commerce, so it is up for review. funny that the workers who hate global trade policies, don't mind when Trump makes one. LGL is right about the oil. the saudis may threaten tomorrow to stop buying so many weapons, but they're already trained on our equipment and need spare parts. the chinese aren't going to step in, any more than IBM will make an iPhone for you because you no longer want to run software for apple on it. the saudis could, however, dump our t-bills. considering what debt trump's handout to the rich tax bill has done, flooding the bond market as the stock market swallows higher interest rates could be real interesting (i don't know what interest rate the Saudi bought at, but i'll bet its the old rate. people wanting to avoid the bubble might..well, its all speculation. they still can withold oil, and hurt world markets and hurt us. except the frackers, they'll do great if the price per barrel goes up)

as for flooding third world markets with our cheap food...guess where all that food meant for China before the tariffs could end up. and when we flood a market, we kill the local producers. and guess what happens next with out of work farmers in the third world. but a large part of the increase in "500 year storms" is due to climate change. Even trump admits something is happening, as his coastal gold courses take a hit.
 LGL1975
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Improving Drug Policy
Posted: 10/18/2018 12:35:17 PM
America's "drug problem" goes back to the civil war when morphine was used to treat injured soldiers. That's why it was called "the army disease". And this is a pattern that continues today as returning vets come back with all kinds of drug problems or injuries that require medication.

Prohibition was simply a means to acquiring a profitable monopoly on something people wanted. The progressive solution had always been for doctors to help patients cope with opiate addictions.

Blaming the drug problem on Chinese and African-Americans was done to trick the public into making an uninformed decision. Just like alcohol prohibition used racist arguments about Irish and German immigrants being prone to alcoholism. Voters were tricked into believing drug and alcohol consumption was a dangerous societal problem that required a totalitarian solution.

People had already been dealing with the problem of alcoholism and drug abuse for decades and the usual solution was to confine these social problems to one area and deal with the causes such as poverty and unemployment
 DDSearle
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Improving Drug Policy
Posted: 10/18/2018 1:20:09 PM
Goodness knows what the real history of US 'drug-addiction' is. The impression I get is that though there was much injury and great suffering to-do with The Civil War, some participants found, that by stating that the state, by providing them with a few doses of morphine, had rendered them as 'addicted' as a Chinese 'opium fiend' and, was obliged to provide for them. What may have been a profitable ploy had become established during the aftermath of WWI and in course of the Great Depression. And it may have been even where the Benefits Culture began
Improving Drug Policy
Posted: 10/18/2018 3:38:18 PM
one of the factors driving Prohibition was women claiming they were beaten by drunk husbands. and of course, those pesky immigrants really loved their German beer, wine, etc. But a more recent focus of the new drug war is...Trumpland. Those who worked blue collar, physical labor jobs, tend to get old and get their bodies beaten up. and doctors pushed on them, opiod pain killers. Now there's an opiod crisis amongst angry white men who can identify with the TV Conners characters on the Roseann Barr show.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Improving Drug Policy
Posted: 10/18/2018 3:43:04 PM
OP,

The Black Market is arguably the most destructive force in society and you think we should just keep on indulging it? You think that's gonna keep drugs out of the hands of children?

Please, think again. Opioid abuse CRASHED in Colorado after the legalization of Marijuana there.
 DDSearle
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Improving Drug Policy
Posted: 10/18/2018 4:45:24 PM
I suppose that rug policy should be distinguished from drug policy
In the case of the former, I'd elect for a velvet-textured all-wool carpet, fitted onto an underlay of goat's hair felt, set on a sprung hardwood floor. Otherwise, I'd get some fine oriental rugs. And that reminds me, that on seeing a fetching rug at an Edinburgh auction, with an estimate-price of £60-, I decided to leave a remote offer for it at £50-. On checking on the outcome, I discovered that I was unsuccessful because the winning bid on that lot was £5000-. You couldn't make it up
 platitude545
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Improving Drug Policy
Posted: 10/19/2018 11:47:04 AM

. Voters were tricked into believing drug and alcohol consumption was a dangerous societal problem that required a totalitarian solution.

Sounds like a good theory...how sad though that "voters" do not vote on amendments to the Constitution...another conpsiracy theory up in smoke....so sad :-)
 purplerider1200
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Improving Drug Policy
Posted: 10/19/2018 2:31:50 PM
Then you should look at both sides of your ballot. I voted on the last one. Where were you at?
 platitude545
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Improving Drug Policy
Posted: 10/19/2018 2:35:41 PM
^^^ You voted on the eighteenth amedment? Wow Purple...you age really, really well.
 LGL1975
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Improving Drug Policy
Posted: 10/19/2018 5:09:10 PM

one of the factors driving Prohibition was women claiming they were beaten by drunk husbands. and of course, those pesky immigrants really loved their German beer, wine, etc. But a more recent focus of the new drug war is...Trumpland. Those who worked blue collar, physical labor jobs, tend to get old and get their bodies beaten up. and doctors pushed on them, opiod pain killers. Now there's an opiod crisis amongst angry white men who can identify with the TV Conners characters on the Roseann Barr show.

Yes racism is a very powerful instinct that is often exploited by politicians.

Gun control advocates follow the same script. Since the left has been taught to hate white men any news story involving a white male shooter automatically triggers their prejudice.
 LGL1975
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Improving Drug Policy
Posted: 10/19/2018 5:19:12 PM

Sounds like a good theory...how sad though that "voters" do not vote on amendments to the Constitution...another conpsiracy theory up in smoke....so sad :-)

Well since it took years for prohibition to pass people did vote on the issue by choosing representatives that were either for or against this law. That's what informed voters do anyway, not you obviously.
 DDSearle
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Improving Drug Policy
Posted: 10/20/2018 5:29:42 AM
If drug policy's to be improved, the language that's used in such efforts ought to be careful and clear. But the description of cannabis as a 'recreational drug' is confusing or misleading. Recreational, though it has come to mean refreshment by means of agreeable activity, really means (according to its etymology) something like recovery or restoration and, ultimately, to create again. In other words, its usage contradicts the effects of the substance that it attributes. An accurate phrase would be a stupefying or damaging drug. A rug, or even a shrug, could be recreational
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Improving Drug Policy
Posted: 10/20/2018 8:08:23 AM
alcohol is a recreational drug, it has caused more damage than pot ever has. while I use neither, I have used both to an extreme many years ago along with a few more. most people I know drink and some smoke pot. the drunks are not my friends and I avoid them, the pot heads never gave me any trouble. it does not seem logical to have alcohol widely accepted, even bars with full parking lots of the drunks ride home, yet pot is still illegal in most states.
 SiennaBear2
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Improving Drug Policy
Posted: 10/20/2018 9:57:23 AM
Alcohol and smoking should be made more illegal and controlled.
Drugs are dirty.
 Carnival_Fishing
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Improving Drug Policy
Posted: 10/20/2018 10:24:03 AM
At the end of prohibition in the 30's, I'm sure there must have been a lot of people who thought it was big mistake to legalize alcohol, because of the propaganda by the government, telling people that alcohol is evil and will destroy the country. The legalization of pot in Canada and elsewhere will go through the same phase. For decades, the government has been telling people that pot is an evil drug that will destroy the youth and fry their brains (as opposed to the wonderful effects of smoking cigarettes, which has always been legal. lol) So people bought into the hype and fear the evils of pot. It will take a while for the paranoia and fear to die down.

What I predict is, sooner or later, there will be a traffic fatality involving a driver who smoked up. All of the anti-pot people will come out of the woodwork and say "See? I told you pot was evil and should never be legalized." But they won't call for a total ban on alcohol, even though there's bound to be more fatalities involving drunk driving.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Improving Drug Policy