Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Why does my search distance keep changing?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
Why does my search distance keep changing? Page 1 of 1    
This is the closest section I can find for a question like this. I'm trying to figure out why my max distance to search keeps changing. I'll have it set for 25 miles of my zip code but I keep getting results from 0-50+ miles away. So I'll check the search/advanced search criteria and find that it's in the 50-100 mile range. Tonight was 100. I can change it then save it but the next time will be the same thing. It's already hard enough to find a match. I don't want to keep seeing options that are further away than I want to travel.
 spot4username
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Why does my search distance keep changing?
Posted: 10/20/2018 2:31:04 AM
If you search in

Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help

you will see lots of threads about this.

If there are not enough matches in your local area based on the parameters you have set the area will automatically expand.
It is often wonky. I can make my search *very basic* and still get matches hundreds of miles away when I can see that the mileage is still set to fairly local.
Posted: 10/20/2018 5:03:21 AM
Thanks! I should have thought of that and will take a look at those threads. My search is very basic. Pretty much looking for single women who are breathing in a 25 mile radius of me. I get a lot of pages of suggestions so it's not like there aren't many options. I also keep seeing the same people over and over and over. I see their profiles so much that I feel like we're friends. I try changing my settings a little to see different people but that doesn't help much. I find that I get a lot of different options if I search without being logged into the site.
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2018 7:50:54 AM
haven't been on pof in a few weeks but I had the same issue a month ago. when searching 'members online' it normally shows within my general area but on off hours, it would expand to a couple hundred miles or more. recently that had changed to always show distant women. using advance for 25 miles excludes many within the 25 miles.
 Natey2
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2018 5:38:06 AM
I guess POF finds that it is better to find somebody rather than nobody. And I can't blame them for that. When I find compatible people further away, they often become a chat/text friend with mutual interests. I don't mind that, but for those that do, maybe POF should have a "strict enforcement of search parameters" option, so that the algorithm will return nobody rather than somebody out of the specified radius.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Why does my search distance keep changing?