Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > I'd appreciate a woman's opinion      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 WillSpring
Msg: 1
view profile
History
I'd appreciate a woman's opinionPage 1 of 1    
Hey there,

Thanks for reading. I'm new to online dating and it's been super quiet so far. I don't really know how guy's profiles usually go so perhaps I've got mine terribly wrong.

I know the bio is quite serious about looking for marriage and long-term commitment but that's just who I am so I might as well be open about it.

Any opinions and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Will x
 hemingway234
Msg: 2
I'd appreciate a woman's opinion
Posted: 10/31/2018 5:48:29 AM
Rule number one is never talk about heavy stuff, including sex - don't even give them ideas. I'd take the word "meat" out, get rid of that headline.

Most of the women at or below your age are in University, and that's one of the best places to meet women - when there are lots of ladies eyes on you and crushes developing.
 WillSpring
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 10/31/2018 6:04:07 AM
I never mentioned sex. "Not just a piece of meat" seemed a whimsical enough headline poking fun at the objectification of dating apps but I take your point and have removed that headline. One wonders what the point of a headline really is. I don't think that feature really benefits anyone.
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 10/31/2018 9:11:58 AM
The headline feature benefits those who come up with a good headline.

Change intent to relationship. Women hope that a relationship turns serious enough to marry. But saying marry right away is kind of scary.

Profession; Business. No, wrong, be specific. What kind of business, and what do you do within that type of business, we women dislike vagueness.

"I'm hoping to find my soulmate, a long-term relationship, and hopefully marriage. Sadly the tinder generation seem less into building something that lasts." change this to;
"I'm hoping to find my soulmate, a long-term relationship, and eventually marriage. I'm willing to work at building something that lasts." It's a more positive way to say it.

Change this;
"A marriage should be a partnership of equals, so I'm committed to supporting a wife in her ambitions and goals too. If men can have it all, why not women too? It would be truly wonderful if we could emotionally support each other and celebrate our success together, and to become your advocate as well as your husband.'
Instead, try this;
I believe marriage should be a full partnership. I'm committed to supporting a wife in her ambitions and goals too. It would be truly wonderful if we could emotionally support each other and celebrate our success together, and to become your advocate as well as your husband.

"Complete this sequence: Bears, Beets, ......?" What's this? Just no. Instead describe a date, picnic in the park, coffee or tea at your favorite place, something lovely she can picture.

Don't bother asking women to message you, they know they can do that. Just write to women yourself.

And last, your photos need improvement.
#1 is overexposed and color is washed out.
#2 is much better.
#3, again, color is washed out.
#4, fuzzy, face all in shadow.
#5 is good.
#6 is good.

Are you active in your church? Maybe you can find a like minded woman there.

Good luck, you seem like a great guy.
 2ufo
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/31/2018 4:46:38 PM
Overall, I get a very good impression. You're articulate and know what you want. Your interests are varied and your photos are good and consistent - some are not perfect (as Strawberry notes) but to many women that is acceptable. In my opinion, there was nothing in your profile that would make a woman pass over you immediately.

You might be more specific about details since many women are sticklers for details - such as what kind of museums or which counties you've visited.
 WillSpring
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 10/31/2018 6:08:57 PM
Just wanted to drop you all a note to thank you for taking the time to review my profile.

Got to be honest, this site has shredded my self-confidence lol. I was under the false impression I was at least decent-looking and fairly articulate until the POF experience. I guess we men all have that glaze when it comes to ourselves. I'll probably delete. I'd love to see a good male profile though, one that didn't have the criticisms of mine. Just as a point of reference. Do you have any to hand?

One of your criticisms was my pictures weren't perfect. I honestly don't know many perfect looking people. I do the best I can. I can't say I saw many perfect looking people when browsing, it didn't stop me messaging them. I saw many 'hot' types with zero bio. I ignored them. I'd rather see some personality.

I don't know what the average standard is on pof but I accept I didn't meet it and am best off deleting. But I'd still like to see it for reference? If anyone could point me to what women want. A male profile that would actually get a thumbs up. It would help a lot.

Once again, thanks to all those who took the time to reply, Mr. Hemingway, nice Strawberry lady, and Diane, I appreciate your time and honesty.

Will x
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 10/31/2018 8:01:28 PM
The point of this forum, profile reviews, is to help you improve your profile. I thought you wanted to do that. If you were selling a car on craigslist, wouldn't you take several photos of the car, and then reject the ones that were washed out? It wasn't criticism so much as encouragement to improve. You ARE good looking. But don't detract from that with less than attractive photos. You are expecting results too quickly. Give it more time. I tried to tell you what women want. What kind of work do you do for example. Yes, many other profiles are lacking, but you want to stand out from those types.
 mahwahgirl339114
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/31/2018 9:40:43 PM
"If anyone could point me to what women want."

Strawberry is right. She gave many correct suggestions as to what women prefer, I also agree with her advice. Please go back to her post and reread. In particular, "business" for a job is bad. If that is all you can say about what you do, you are probably helping your parents with their business, in exchange for free room and board... or walking dogs. Imagination runs wild, in the wrong direction, when things are vague, this applies to anything.

People come to profile reviews soliciting advice, they get advice, then they start arguing with the reviewers, or even more surprisingly, say thank you and make none of the changes suggested. What was the point of the venture then?
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2018 10:38:16 AM

Got to be honest, this site has shredded my self-confidence lol. I was under the false impression I was at least decent-looking and fairly articulate until the POF experience.

Welcome to the "Online Dating Guy Experience".

I'm not a woman, but I can give you the facts that others won't, especially people who are part of the problem instead of being part of the solution.

Online dating is not what it used to be in the glory days, which were at least 2004 (when I started) up to about 2010.
After that, things started going downhill.

The problem is that overall, women just do not participate in the online dating process as fully as they used to years ago.

One of your criticisms was my pictures weren't perfect. I honestly don't know many perfect looking people. I do the best I can. I can't say I saw many perfect looking people when browsing,

There aren't any perfect looking people.
There ARE a lot of physically attractive people.
Anyone with even average eyesight can clearly see that you don't look like Quasimodo's twin brother.

But so many people are ridiculously picky, and therefore sabotage their own opportunities by holding out for the perfect in every way person who will never arrive.

I don't know what the average standard is on pof

1) At least 6 feet tall
2) Male model looks
3) Owns and drives a $1.4 million Ferrari LaFerrari

but I accept I didn't meet it

Few do.
Which is why you will probably see the same women on here week after week, month after month, and even year after year. (like I do in my area here in Southern Calif.)
So, either they are actually just using it as a hookup site and hooking up with man after man, or....they cannot find any man who can meet every item on their long laundry list, or......it's just that ego boost thing that has been mentioned often.
And you have to spell out everything for them, like a child, or they will self-sabotage by assuming the worst about everyone, rather than giving the benefit of the doubt until they learn more facts.

I'd love to see a good male profile though, one that didn't have the criticisms of mine. Just as a point of reference. Do you have any to hand?

Feel free to look at mine.
I have NEVER had a picture on an online dating profile, and the type of profile I have now is a similar type (lots of humor) to those that garnered me HUNDREDS of messages back in the glory days, but no more, because things have changed, and I'm in the same boat as you now.

Best of luck.
 mahwahgirl339114
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/1/2018 9:45:32 PM

1) At least 6 feet tall
2) Male model looks

OP meets the first and second requirements, and he does have a car. That's enough for a normal girl his age! Men with Ferraris tend to have such overblown egos that they won't even be any fun in bed. They'll just lay back like PLEASE ME.
 hemingway234
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/2/2018 7:42:47 AM

They'll just lay back like PLEASE ME.

- maybe that's my problem?!
 apriloveswhiteroses
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/3/2018 7:22:01 AM

1) At least 6 feet tall
2) Male model looks

# 3 is an exaggeration.
1.4 million? He does not have to drive such expensive car to be "average" and get a date..

Op,
I'm sure most women would be satisfied If you drive a car that costs ONLY ONE million.
 WillSpring
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2018 1:20:20 PM
My car is a Jaguar F-type. Considerably less than $1.4 million lol!
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2018 7:15:41 AM
I give up.

Messages this short may not be posted
 Fascinator123
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/16/2018 7:35:50 PM
Hi, there's nothing terrible with your profile. What I will do is tell you what women want to see when they read someone's write up....they want to know what fires you up, what you are enthusiastic about, things you love, what makes you laugh etc. They want your personality to come across...they want to know what kind of person you are to be around, even what your pet hate is...all these things tell us whether you sound like our 'type' of person. If you can throw a little humour in so much the better. But I wouldn't stress too much about content since you haven't put anything in there that would make someone run a mile and there's nothing wrong with saying you are looking for the real deal....but you could just say something like 'I want the full enchilada...who doesn't....but no pressure or expectations, lets just go with the flow and see where it takes us'
It'll come, these things take time, that's all. Sometimes love is a waiting game but be pro-active, talk with a good few. Pof is a numbers game for those who are serious about finding someone. Never message just one or two, chances are when you try to arrange a meet they won't be able to make it this week or next...and will fob you off, then you'd be back to square one. Besides, if you message a few it's a great way of realising who is your favourite...whose message do you jump over others to get to? Good luck and I hope you find it soon.
 mahwahgirl339114
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/17/2018 8:57:30 PM
Great advice above, OP, and as you're writing to multiple people remember to check their profile before hitting send on a copy and paste message. Quite a few times, when I had pictures on here, I got "I like your pictures" even though I only had one, and "your hair is so pretty" even when my one picture only showed me in a winter hat with no hair showing.
 SiennaBear2
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2018 12:41:11 PM
Yes, very good. Articulate and genuine, just need some better photos.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > I'd appreciate a woman's opinion