Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Why is smoking pot a crime?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SexyandBrainy
Msg: 2
Why is smoking pot a crime?Page 1 of 60    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
Combine the effects of booze with the effects of cigarettes = effects of pot
how is pot any worse than the other two....I really haven't a clue!

Good question though.
 CountIbli
Msg: 4
Why is smoking pot a crime?
Posted: 8/13/2005 1:41:24 PM
About 100 years ago Charles Lindberg developed a new technique for making paper for newspapers. However, it was more expensive to make than hemp paper. So he started printing articles about how pot was making black men rape white women. It didn't take too long for pot to be made illegal after that. Then he made a killing on his new paper making process.
 CountIbli
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/13/2005 2:00:50 PM
The government is very reluctant to lose any power it takes. Drug laws give them all sorts of power (no knock warrants, seizure laws, etc) so if you take away the laws (including chipping away at them) you take away the power.
 Im listening
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/13/2005 5:04:10 PM
Ok

I'll play devil's advocate

Allow me to precface my reply with this bit first

It is a morality thing!

Marijuana is a mind altering substance that will cause the user to become a sex crazed murderous freak and the *ONLY* way to protect our youth is to rid the world of this Abomination of the sout is to wipe it from the face od the earth.

of course the folks believin this also think Dubya is a good Pres
 Im listening
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/13/2005 5:08:41 PM
Ah???? Byrd??

"How can one *go down* while simultaneously being *high*
 Im listening
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/13/2005 5:58:16 PM
Here you will find the cold harsh and truthful realiy and reasons for making pot smokig a crime

uh huh

http://blogs.salon.com/0002762/stories/2003/12/22/whyIsMarijuanaIllegal.html
When Montana outlawed marijuana in 1927, the Butte Montana Standard reported a legislator's comment: "When some beet field peon takes a few traces of this stuff... he thinks he has just been elected president of Mexico, so he starts out to execute all his political enemies." In Texas, a senator said on the floor of the Senate: "All Mexicans are crazy, and this stuff [marijuana] is what makes them crazy."

Again, racism was part of the charge against marijuana, as newspapers in 1934 editorialized: "Marihuana influences Negroes to look at white people in the eye, step on white men's shadows and look at a white woman twice."

Two other fear-tactic rumors started to spread: one, that Mexicans, Blacks and other foreigners were snaring white children with marijuana; and two, the story of the "assassins." Early stories of Marco Polo had told of "hasheesh-eaters" or hashashin, from which derived the term "assassin." In the original stories, these professional killers were given large doses of hashish and brought to the ruler's garden (to give them a glimpse of the paradise that awaited them upon successful completion of their mission). Then, after the effects of the drug disappeared, the assassin would fulfill his ruler's wishes with cool, calculating loyalty.
By the 1930s, the story had changed. Dr. A. E. Fossier wrote in the 1931 New Orleans Medical and Surgical Journal: "Under the influence of hashish those fanatics would madly rush at their enemies, and ruthlessly massacre every one within their grasp." Within a very short time, marijuana started being linked to violent behavior.
"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others."

"...the primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races."

"Marijuana is an addictive drug which produces in its users insanity, criminality, and death."

"Reefer makes darkies think they're as good as white men."

"Marihuana leads to pacifism and communist brainwashing"

"You smoke a joint and you're likely to kill your brother."

"Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind."
And he loved to pull out his own version of the "assassin" definition:
"In the year 1090, there was founded in Persia the religious and military order of the Assassins, whose history is one of cruelty, barbarity, and murder, and for good reason: the members were confirmed users of hashish, or marihuana, and it is from the Arabs' 'hashashin' that we have the English word 'assassin.'"

"Marihuana makes fiends of boys in thirty days -- Hashish goads users to bloodlust."

"By the tons it is coming into this country -- the deadly, dreadful poison that racks and tears not only the body, but the very heart and soul of every human being who once becomes a slave to it in any of its cruel and devastating forms.... Marihuana is a short cut to the insane asylum. Smoke marihuana cigarettes for a month and what was once your brain will be nothing but a storehouse of horrid specters. Hasheesh makes a murderer who kills for the love of killing out of the mildest mannered man who ever laughed at the idea that any habit could ever get him...."
And other nationwide columns...
"Users of marijuana become STIMULATED as they inhale the drug and are LIKELY TO DO ANYTHING. Most crimes of violence in this section, especially in country districts are laid to users of that drug."

"Was it marijuana, the new Mexican drug, that nerved the murderous arm of Clara Phillips when she hammered out her victim's life in Los Angeles?... THREE-FOURTHS OF THE CRIMES of violence in this country today are committed by DOPE SLAVES -- that is a matter of cold record."

The Chairman: I would like to read a quotation from a recent editorial in the Washington And that was basically it. Yellow journalism won over medical science.
The committee passed the legislation on. And on the floor of the house, the entire discussion was:
Member from upstate New York: "Mr. Speaker, what is this bill about?"

Speaker Rayburn: "I don't know. It has something to do with a thing called marihuana. I think it's a narcotic of some kind."

"Mr. Speaker, does the American Medical Association support this bill?"

Member on the committee jumps up and says: "Their Doctor Wentworth[sic] came down here. They support this bill 100 percent."
And on the basis of that lie, on August 2, 1937, marijuana became illegal at the federal level.
Times:
The marihuana cigarette is one of the most insidious of all forms of dope, largely because of the failure of the public to understand its fatal qualities.

The Nation is almost defenseless against it, having no Federal laws to cope with it and virtually no organized campaign for combating it.

The result is tragic.

School children are the prey of peddlers who infest school neighborhoods.

High school boys and girls buy the destructive weed without knowledge of its capacity of harm, and conscienceless dealers sell it with impunity.

This is a national problem, and it must have national attention.

The fatal marihuana cigarette must be recognized as a deadly drug, and American children must be protected against it.

"Much of the most irrational juvenile violence and that has written a new chapter of shame and tragedy is traceable directly to this hemp intoxication. A gang of boys tear the clothes from two school girls and rape the screaming girls, one boy after the other. A sixteen-year-old kills his entire family of five in Florida, a man in Minnesota puts a bullet through the head of a stranger on the road; in Colorado husband tries to shoot his wife, kills her grandmother instead and then kills himself. Every one of these crimes had been proceeded [sic] by the smoking of one or more marijuana "reefers." As the marijuana situation grew worse, I knew action had to be taken to get the proper legislation passed. By 1937 under my direction, the Bureau launched two important steps First, a legislative plan to seek from Congress a new law that would place marijuana and its distribution directly under federal control. Second, on radio and at major forums, such that presented annually by the New York Herald Tribune, I told the story of this evil weed of the fields and river beds and roadsides. I wrote articles for magazines; our agents gave hundreds of lectures to parents, educators, social and civic leaders. In network broadcasts I reported on the growing list of crimes, including murder and rape. I described the nature of marijuana and its close kinship to hashish. I continued to hammer at the facts.

I believe we did a thorough job, for the public was alerted and the laws to protect them were passed, both nationally and at the state level. We also brought under control the wild growing marijuana in this country. Working with local authorities, we cleaned up hundreds of acres of marijuana and we uprooted plants sprouting along the roadsides."
 indicalover
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/13/2005 9:39:54 PM
Interesting thread. I'm still waiting to hear a logical explination as to why it's illegal. Or why people in today's society think it should be illegal.

Meekrob- you don't really beleive that do you?
 toonsmith
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2005 10:15:00 PM
The Government proclaims it a crime because they would have no control over a mellow stoned populace.

Have you ever seen anyone angry or uptight after a doobie?

It's all good....puff.
 Im listening
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/14/2005 12:55:19 AM
Interesting thread. I'm still waiting to hear a logical explination as to why it's illegal. Or why people in today's society think it should be illegal

http://forum.japantoday.com/Why_is_marijuana_illegal_in_the_US_%3F/m_428343/tm.htm

seems to be a topic on this forum ^ too
 indicalover
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/14/2005 9:09:48 AM
That's a very interesting link! After reading it though, I do see a few things that stick out in my mind.

1. Marijuana vs. Pharmaceudical companies.- BIG deal. They DON't want to competeHalf the commercials you see on the TV are for some drug or another. (Has anyone heard the song by Lifeboy, called Underwear outside the pants? In part of the song he talks about this, and watching these commercials with the mute button on. He says something to the effect of "Oh, I want that disease...it comes with a hot chick. And a puppy." TOO funny...)
The Rx companies want to give you a drug for anything, (I saw one the other day for "restless leg syndrome" saying that some 1 in 6 people suffer from it. In my head, I'm thinking that if that many people suffer from it, wouldn't it be considered almost normal?) most of which are highly addictive, and they (IMO) don't have to worry about recruiting repeat customers.

2. Marijuana is NOT physically addictive. The shelf life of THC (the main psychoactive ingredient) stays in your body for approx. 30 days. It takes so long to exit your body that you feel almost NO withdrawl. It can be psychologically addictive, but that's like sex or gambling.When you compare it to a street drug or a Rx drug, those stay in your body for a matter of days or even hours. Certain drugs you have to be weaned off, or supplemented with another drug (like herion being treated with methadone) because the withdrawls CAN kill you. MJ hasn't ever killed anyone, unless they've been HIGHLY allergic to it. Even indirectly. Like the commercial with the little girl playing by the swimming pool, and the babysitter too stoned to realize what could happen. That would NEVER happen, you can't get that stoned. Furthermore, you cannot overdose. It is physically impossible to ingest enough reefer to make you do so. The ONLY way would be to concentrate the THC to a very strong form, and then ingest a TON of it. Even if you were able to shoot the drug through IV, you couldn't.

The only real reason I can see is just the competition with the Rx companies. Where you would need a different drug to treat each ailment, MJ can treat alot of different ailments. MJ will cure nothing, but can be used for treatment, and can be used over very long term, even for life. It does have many medicinal benifits that are often over looked and rationalized as stoned thinking. A big majority of people smoke it. We ALL know someone who does, even if we don't realize it. There is no profile for an MJ user, like ther is with say crack. You can almost look at a crackhead and know that they are. MJ is different. You CAN'T tell. I've often thought for sure people would have smoked it, only to find out that they don't. I've been very surprised by some of the people who do. Lawyers, doctors, teachers, parents, grandparents, computer geeks, sports althletes, and the list can go on and on.

The laws pertaining to the illegalization of MJ are VERY outdated.
 darkhorse723
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2005 9:19:52 AM
I don't think the Gov. has found a good enough way to get their hand in the cookie jar. If pot became legal everyone would grow it themselves denying tax money to the Gov.
 Im listening
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/14/2005 9:24:12 AM
^^^^^ BINGO!
 indicalover
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/14/2005 2:55:06 PM
They can, in my opinion, tax marijuana ,if they wanted to. They could figure out some system. They do it with Tobacco. To the best of my knowledge, it's federally against the law to grow tobacco for personal use. They could apply the same things to MJ.
 Im listening
Msg: 26
Posted: 8/14/2005 7:38:12 PM
papa211
some posts, and this is one, leave me shaking my head in disbelief.
not at you !
at the reality your words express
 stealth2
Msg: 32
Posted: 8/15/2005 5:45:28 PM
If this usa took a hard line on pot and other drugs we could reduce all violent crime by half within five years. It works in other countries. I have bee repeatedly saying, Americans have too much civil freedom. This is not the 50's --tough times call for a no-nonsense approach. In Saudi Arabia you can get your hand cut off for some crimes.
 Im listening
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/15/2005 5:49:46 PM
[People steal, rob and kill for oil too.]

said tongue-in-cheek, They do?

I've included the url so any interested can follw the links

Today's Featured Article:
Monday, August 15 2005 @ 12:25 PM MDT

http://www.vivelecanada.ca/article.php/20050811085534274

Drug Politics
Contributed by: Reverend Blair

And you may see me tonight with an illegal smile
It don't cost very much, but it lasts a long while
Won't you please tell the man I didn't kill anyone
No I'm just tryin' to have me some fun.
–John Prine, Illegal Smile

Most Canadians have become familiar with the name Marc Emery over the last few weeks. The founder of the BC Marijuana Party was arrested in Canada on a warrant issued in the US and may be extradited to stand trial in a US court and face sentencing under harsh US anti-drug law.

The joint Vancouver Police/DEA raid of Emery’s seed shop and the arrest of Marc Emery and two of his employees seems to be politically motivated. It is as much about Emery’s activism as his selling of marijuana seeds.

This is made evident by statements made by Karen Tandy, and quoted by Joel Connelly of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, Today's arrest of Mark (sic) Scott Emery, publisher of Cannabis Culture magazine and the founder of a marijuana legalization group, is a significant blow not only to the marijuana trafficking trade in the U.S. and Canada, but also to the marijuana legalization movement, said Tandy. Hundreds of thousands of dollars of Emery's illicit profits are known to have been channeled to marijuana legalization groups active in the United States and Canada. Drug legalization lobbyists now have one less pot of money to rely on, she continued.

Clearly the US government feels that Emery’s arrest is a political issue as much as a legal one. So why is the Canadian government colluding with a foreign government to arrest Canadian citizens for political reasons? While we are moving towards softening our marijuana laws, something that is long past due, why would our government cooperate with a foreign government who wishes to persecute Canadian citizens for political reasons having to do with those same laws?

Marc Emery isn’t the only Canadian who has run into trouble due to our government’s reluctance to disavow the war on drugs that our southern neighbours have unleashed on the world.

In the spring of 2004, David Laing was driving on a highway near Hope, BC. He had his two year old son with him. Laing was pulled over by a Texas State Trooper who wanted to search Laing’s car for marijuana.

Laing is a member of the Vancouver Police department and knew that the search the Texas State trooper was requesting to do is illegal under Canadian law. After refusing the search, Laing was pulled over by an RCMP officer and a Texas State Trooper. The RCMP did search his car, as well as Laing’s two year old son.

Although the RCMP settled out of court when Laing threatened to sue for wrongful detention, they insist that Laing was searched because his eyelashes were fluttering and his eyes were flashing. Fluttering eyelashes and flashing eyes are, according to Texas State Troopers and the RCMP, signs that a subject has been smoking marijuana.

By those criteria, Laing could have been trying to get a date. Fluttering eyelashes and flashing eyes aren’t exactly proof of anything. Such physical indications are highly subjective, especially if you aren’t familiar with the person you are judging. Flashing eyes means nothing whatsoever, at least outside the world of super hero comics, and fluttering eyelashes could be anything from an individual’s normal blink rate to a reaction to the sun reflecting off the cop’s badge.

Much more disturbing than the illegal detention and search that Laing suffered is the involvement of Texas State Troopers. Why are police from a US state with regressive drug laws, a history of questionable searches, and a reputation for brutality pulling people over for random checks in Canada? The RCMP say that the Texas cops are here to train RCMP officers in techniques to find drug traffickers. That the search techniques are illegal, the profiling criteria being used by the Texans and the RCMP questionable at best, and the idea of allowing US police to pull people over in Canada thoroughly reprehensible apparently has not occurred to the RCMP or the Canadian government.

Given concerns raised by human rights groups about the actions of US law enforcement agencies, I doubt they should be allowed to engage in any training exercises with Canadian police. Canadian police have shown themselves to be quite adept at infringing on Canadians’ rights without outside help, after all.

US involvement in Canadian Drug enforcement, and highly questionable actions by the DEA and RCMP are nothing new. In 1999, Paddy Roberts was arrested and charged with conspiracy to export cannabis by the RCMP. The USA’s Drug Enforcement Agency charged him with conspiracy to import drugs. Being charged with the same crime in two countries at the same time, especially when the law enforcement agencies of those countries are working together, is a matter of double jeopardy.

Roberts, who ran for the BC Marijuana Party in 2001, received legal permission to travel to Ireland, where he also holds citizenship. He was arrested by Dutch authorities on a stop-over in Holland. Apparently the Canadian prosecutor had tipped off authorities that he was travelling internationally. Roberts was suddenly facing extradition from a prison in Holland to the US, where sentences are far harsher than those he faced in Canada.

When Paddy Roberts’ brother was reported to be near death in Canada, a Dutch judge released Paddy on bail of 25,000 Euros. Once he arrived in Canada he was not allowed to leave and was forced to forfeit the bail he had paid in Holland.

case of Paddy Roberts was just one of many that occurred in the late 1990's. In one case, the actions of American drug agents in Canada caused a BC Supreme Court Justice to refuse the extradition of a suspect in a cocaine smuggling case. In her decision Madam Justice J.R. Dillon said, The illegal conduct of the United States DEA is so shocking here and so detrimental to international cooperative agreements to assist in criminal matters that I would be inclined to order a stay on that basis alone.

list of US transgressions of the rights of Canadians in the name of their war on drugs is extensive and the examples I’ve given here are far from comprehensive. The Canadian government and Canadian law enforcement agencies are all too happy to collaborate with US officials in spite of the transgressions of US law enforcement agencies.

question is why we cooperate with the United States on drug policy at all. Polls in the two countries indicate that Canadian attitudes towards drug use and drug policy are vastly different than attitudes in the United States. We are moving towards the decriminalization of marijuana, while the US government is pushing hard to make criminals out of even casual pot smokers. We have recognised the benefits of medicinal marijuana while the US government is arresting growers and users of medicinal marijuana even where state governments have approved its use.

Vancouver Mayor and newly appointed Senator, Larry Campbell, is an advocate of the four pillar approach to dealing with drug abuse. Saying, The war on drugs has failed. As a Coroner, I spoke for those who had died so that others may live. In my world, there are no throwaways; everyone is equal. Their stories have lessons for all of us, Campbell advocates prevention, enforcement, treatment and harm reduction to deal with Vancouver’s drug problems.

Campbell is no stranger to the drug wars. He was a drug squad cop before he was Coroner. He understands the situation and the problems better than most. That understanding is what led him away from a US-style war on drugs. He saw that it wasn’t working.

Campbell won’t be the first Senator to question Canada’s drug policies. In 2002 Senator Pierre Claude Nolin chaired a committee that looked into Canada’s drug laws. Nolin called the prohibition of marijuana a cop-out and said, Scientific evidence overwhelmingly indicates that cannabis is substantially less harmful than alcohol and should be treated not as a criminal issue but as a social and public health issue.

The 1970 interim report of the LeDain commission recommended that all charges for possession and use of psycho tropic drugs be transferred from the Narcotics Act to the Food and Drugs Act, which would have effectively decriminalised the possession and use of most drugs and reducing possession charges to a summary conviction similar to a traffic ticket, and treat addiction as a medical problem. The government rejected the recommendation for all but marijuana, but never took action on even that. The possession of marijuana remained illegal with little distinction made between it and heroin.

Canada’s federal government still hasn’t gotten the message. Instead of standing up for Canadian citizens and developing reasonable drug policies based on science and study, the ruling Liberals continue to aid and abet the regressive and harmful policies of a foreign government. Our government is allowing themselves to be bullied into acting against the best interests of Canadians.

The Emery case should be made into a rallying point by all Canadians. It is time to demand that our government abandon the war on drugs and quit colluding in the persecution of Canadian citizens by the government of the United States. It is time we told our government to base drug policy on scientific fact instead of the false morality of a foreign power.
 indicalover
Msg: 34
Posted: 8/20/2005 11:56:38 AM

If this usa took a hard line on pot and other drugs we could reduce all violent crime by half within five years. It works in other countries. I have bee repeatedly saying, Americans have too much civil freedom. This is not the 50's --tough times call for a no-nonsense approach. In Saudi Arabia you can get your hand cut off for some crimes.

That is F--king SICK!!! Are you SERIOUS??!! So maybe if I smoke a joint, I should have my lips sewn shut? What rock did you crawl from underneath? Maybe you should save up your money, and go buy an Island. Then you can be the ruler of your island, and everyone can do as you wish, with your sick dictatorship thinking. You can cut their tounges out when they say things in protest. But don't suggest I or anyone else give up our freedoms. It's not up to our government to be responsible for our actions, it's up to us. Are you even originally from here? You like Saudi's laws so much, maybe you should move there.

Meekrob- Just for the sake of the arguement, I'm Christian, also. I would probably be dead from certain events in my life if it weren't from the hand of God, and I truely beleive that. And I don't want to step on anyone elses toes, religiously- but Jesus rocks. So go to your bible, and turn to the FIRST page. Read Gen. 1-11. It says (in some versions) "And God put forth on this Earth grass, the herb yeilding seed and created it in his likeness and said therefore it is good." (Some versions it says "and it was so" but being Christian, everything God created was perfect) If you read along, you'll discover (also in Genesis) that God had created trees bearing fruit and green herbs yeilding seeds to be food for us and the animals here. (It is my personal view that maybe originally, he intended us to be vegetarians, because it doesn't say much about the rules for eating meat untill several chapters later. But that's just what I think.) So ALL the fruit and herbs were meant for us to consume. Marijuana is an herb. You can't just "make" it. There's no manufacturing going on. You literally pick it, dry it out (unless you want to eat it, I guess) and smoke it. Nothing to it. That's my arguement.

I feel it's necessary to point out that the only addiction that is related to MJ is mental. In otherwords, "It's all in your head".
 SexyandBrainy
Msg: 35
Posted: 8/20/2005 12:07:18 PM
^^ yeah heroine comes from opium which is also derived from a natural seed brought to us by mother nature. The bible says it's ok for us to use "God's fruit bearing trees to our advantage" so what's everyone's beef with heroine??? needles anyone?

Not sure what god has to do with leagalizing mind altering substances....??

just because pot is the preferred drug of choice...personally I'd love to legalize pure MDMA everyone should take MDMA...heck if we can walk around drunk out of our skulls why the hell not tripping on ecstacy...who doesn't need to be told they are loved today? LOL

I feel it's necessary to point out that the only addiction that is related to MJ is mental. In otherwords, "It's all in your head".

yeah so is schizophrenia... No thank you very much!

itsfunycsitstru
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2005 12:36:46 PM
Nothing wrong with getting a little high sometimes. You guys want to get high? I got shit hammered last night on beer, whiskey, and voldka so what's wrong with pot if I can do that to myself?
 SexyandBrainy
Msg: 39
Posted: 8/21/2005 1:36:18 PM
Anyone who thinks legalizing pot would be a good idea should go visit the Dam in Amsterdam..

It's bad enough my tax money barely helps to improve such problems as the homeless and lack of resources and staffing for hospitals etc. let alone having to use it to clean up after piles of riff raff on the street who are purposely making themselves insane.
Hate to break it to you but pot makes people stupid. As harmless as it may "seem" as if we need more stupidity out there roaming the streets freely.
 mr.classicchevy
Msg: 41
Posted: 8/21/2005 2:31:54 PM
And this is the reason i do not belong to any religion.Speaking of the post.I believe in god and the bible.But i do not believe in relgion.It is all man made no matter what the religion it is including christianity.The bible plainly states thet if you use anything that destroys the temple.Then is a sin.Smoking pot is not healthy.They have done studies on this.Just the lungs alone can be a disaster for someones health....1 joint is equal to a half a pack of cigs.This is a fact.I am so glad i do not belong to a religion.To many fakes....Going by my neighbors it reasures me i am not missing much.Sure they are all nice to each others faces,But when their back is turn around they run each other down to pure dirt.Gossip!Gossip!Gossip!Back-stappers.You should hear what i have to hear.But i will not go there.I am the only one that do not go to church....What is the since of going to church,But live a life of hell.I do not get it
 SexyandBrainy
Msg: 44
Posted: 8/21/2005 3:00:17 PM
Weed is harmless

so why haven't they legalized it yet then???

please people educate yourselves before you post absurdities.

If the effects of caffein were the same as smoking pot then why don't they make funny movies about people on "coffee"? C'mon dude!! Pot may be the "lesser of all evils"when it comes to drugs but let's not pretend like it's fine and harmless. Everyone knows a pot head or two...to say their lives are less than productive and living in a permanent state of oblivion is not in the least harmful to themselves and those who surround them is like saying mental illness is freedom! They are the parasites of society. And you know it.
Why live life when you can just coast from your couch getting fat on chips and junk food stoned out or your fuuuucking mind??? How attractive!!! Not to mention the mood swings and altered personalities, they get to such a point they have better personalities when they are high then when they are straight.
The argument that there are functioning pot heads living amongst us can also be used about heorine and crack. I have known heroin using lawyers and cocaine addicted doctors who are well and "functioning"... should we also legalize heroine and crack?

Chronic pot smokers not only put their mental health at risk, they are at very high risk of heart attacks and lung desease. Not to mention what useless members of society they make.

Shiiit if we were intended to live in a ZOMBIE NATION drugs would have be an accepted part of society by now. Visit a drug rehab center any time soon? Talked to people who developed paranoid schitzofrenia and heart probblems because of pot?
No one seems to talk about those people because who needs the downer?
 SexyandBrainy
Msg: 46
Posted: 8/21/2005 4:06:33 PM
Jacksmerking: not to discredit what your life experience has been but when you live more and have different experiences that paint and form your ideas you will go through different transformations and your thoughts will be molded existentially,not only from what your experience is in your little bubble but from what you see around you. Interpret that as you wish.
I was 25 one day so I know how you feel and why you think what you are fighthing for is so harmless and makes so much sense.

My wisdom comes from living and seeing. I won't deny that drugs can be fun and they can offer us a form of escape in an otherwise normal existence however we cannot deny its negative effects. Saying drugs, even pot, are harmless is like saying fatty foods won't make you fat. No one denies that fatty foods are great and tasty but the consecuences of indulging in them are still factual and cannot be denied.

The effects of THC and Caffein are totally different, but there both depressents. The point I was making was regarding the classification of the two drugs, which do fall into the same catergory. Unless you want to put weed in a case of it's own, which would then be considered Cannibis.

I have never heard of a "caffein related" accident, or people developing mental illness due to caffein use. Cofee is harmful to our health like a lot of things are, but to compare cofee to
pot is like comparing soap to acid, they will both get rid of a stain but how?

I don't recomend people start doing any drugs, but for those that make the choice, it's not fair to demonize the.

why don't you recommend people start doing drugs??? you seem to be an avid believer that they are harmless and more good than bad WHY NOT recommend everyone smoke pot then??? I find that hard to understand? Do as I say not as I do?

If they can handle it without killing or hurting anyone....

the point is most CAN'T handle drugs. just because a select few come out of it intact or their lives don't become dependent on them does not make it safe for everyone.

You need to start putting 'IMO' infront of some of your statements. No member of society is usless... It's just the high and mighty throwing there weight around that gets people perceived as usless.

It's a given that it's MY OPINION. so I don't feel the need to keep saying that. The only "weight" I throw around is when I have used my "weight"to volunteer with homeless shelters and with teens of low income families who are struggling in life already and I have seen what the effects of something as "insignificant" as pot smoking does to their already hard existence. Talk to a homeless person take the time out to find out how they ended up that way, you'd be surprised what their backgrounds were once like. I've tried my share of drugs and I have also seen close friends and people take their lives, commit crimes and go off the deepend on drugs. Over and over again. I like to educate people on the real effects of drugs and THAT is what my "high and mightÿ attitude" does. I would not have my views without my experience.
Again if you want to see how a society would be with legalized pot go visit Amsterdam...but then again you might think it's cool to see hundreds of people draped over like dead roaches on the street looking like death had struck them.

You think people sit on the coach watching TV because of weed? From my point of view weed makes this tolerable.

Hun... if you NEED weed to make something as simple as watching tv "tolerable", you should probably consider not watching tv at all and pick up a hobbie instead. It's amazing how much you learn about life when you get out there and do stuff.
 SexyandBrainy
Msg: 49
Posted: 8/21/2005 4:20:43 PM
Exactly WHAt would we gain as a society from legalizing pot? that's what I would like to know?? And please don't answer just from a biassed pot user's perspective I would like to know how ALL of society would benefit from this as a whole?
 SexyandBrainy
Msg: 52
Posted: 8/21/2005 4:27:40 PM
The only difference between people who smoke POT, and those who don't,------Is the people who do smoke it , dont care if you do or not ,,and will never judge another for it !

Hmmm interesting stament! If I didn't know any better I would actually think that is ALSO judging.

Everyone judges. So don't kid yourself.

How many people do you know who have lost their, minds, families or jobs because of "oreos"??? Lame comparisson to compare drugs to red meat or cookies or anything other than another mind altering substance. Juvenile too.
Drugs are drugs they mess up people's minds how is that EVER good?
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Why is smoking pot a crime?