Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Is art attractive?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 AdjBattle
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Is art attractive?Page 1 of 1    
One of my main interest in life is making art and I've become talented at it. I can make films, paint, draw, sculpt, make my own furniture, print t-shirts and make pottery. I know that the artist is supposedly a cliche attractive type of man but is it really? I've not really had any questions about my art and a few times when asked what my degree is in had no replies after replying fine art.
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Is art attractive?
Posted: 11/10/2018 8:33:32 AM

I know that the artist is supposedly a cliche attractive type of man but is it really?

It depends.

If your artwork is selling for a million dollars apiece, it's VERY attractive.

If you're a stereotypical "starving artist" who's always bumming meals and rides, then not so much.
 ohenryx
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Is art attractive?
Posted: 11/10/2018 9:23:02 AM
Interesting question. I’m going to say, “Not that attractive to most women.”

First, you’re going to have to find a woman who is interested in art. Which is not that hard to do, there are many. And then the subset of women who agree with you about exactly what constitutes art, and what constitutes “good art”. Those two criteria will narrow the field quite a bit.

And then you’re still going to find that most women are not that attracted to an “artistic man”. “Artistic men” are seen, rightly or wrongly, as being on the weak and effeminate side. And women who like that type are rare. By this point, your potential dating pool is probably down around 1 in 1,000 women. Not my fault, just the way the math works. Ask Danimal, he can explain it better than me.

Math does not lie. As an artistic type, you possibly (probably) do not like math. But math does not lie.
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Is art attractive?
Posted: 11/10/2018 9:50:15 AM
^^^find that one in a thousand and you are golden.
 hemingway234
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Is art attractive?
Posted: 11/11/2018 9:35:21 AM
I'm an artist (writer, inventor). Some women actually seek out artists because they are more likely to have a good attitude and less likely to be control freaks...........so in that regard, they have the potential to be good catches.
 ohenryx
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Is art attractive?
Posted: 11/11/2018 9:59:36 AM

hemingway234
I'm an artist (writer, inventor).

Say what? That does not compute.

To me, an inventor is a scientist, which is close to being the opposite of an artist. Thomas Edison, often described as “America’s greatest inventor” would never, in a million years, have referred to himself as an artist. Now as to writer, Hemingway would have probably punched you out if you called him an artist. Robert Heinlein would have laughed at the very idea. I expect Stephen King would also laugh at the idea.

Now before you bring it up, I will grant you Leonardo Da Vinci, the quintessential “Renaissance Man”. But he lived and died 600 years ago, so I’m going to discount that one.
 AdjBattle
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Is art attractive?
Posted: 11/11/2018 12:33:57 PM
Ah ok interesting, thanks for the opinions ladies
 julystorm22
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Is art attractive?
Posted: 11/11/2018 12:51:46 PM
Art is attractive as a hobby but unless you have managed to make it into a good living or you have a good-paying job in another field, a woman will not look at you seriously for a relationship.
 lnitia
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Is art attractive?
Posted: 11/11/2018 2:07:54 PM

Ah ok interesting, thanks for the opinions ladies

Sense of humor too- lol- as I dabble in much art, it is attractive characteristic- I am not looking for financial support or to financially support another adult- looking for an equal-so the financial aspect is of no interest-to me if it opens up more commonalities and communication great! It is a huge positive for if one i was dating has interest and passions in their life! (especially healthy ones-coin collecting for a pint not so much) lol
 hemingway234
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Is art attractive?
Posted: 11/13/2018 12:43:37 PM

To me, an inventor is a scientist, which is close to being the opposite of an artist. Thomas Edison, often described as “America’s greatest inventor” would never, in a million years, have referred to himself as an artist. Now as to writer, Hemingway would have probably punched you out if you called him an artist. Robert Heinlein would have laughed at the very idea. I expect Stephen King would also laugh at the idea.

Now before you bring it up, I will grant you Leonardo Da Vinci, the quintessential “Renaissance Man”. But he lived and died 600 years ago, so I’m going to discount that one.

In thinking more about it, I think you are right,
about inventions - they are creative, but not an art.

But writing is an art - it's a symphony of words.
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Is art attractive?
Posted: 11/13/2018 1:34:10 PM
msg#6:
:
hemingway234
I'm an artist (writer, inventor).

Do not agree with you at all OHenryx.
Not only did you write the above,but you also claim that artistic types are viewed as weak and effeminate, and probably do not like math~
Where do you get this stuff?

Most artistic types I know are curious about the world in general and have wide ranging interests. And abilities. Math is a basic part of writing and playing music, setting up a painting, composing poetry. Syllables, beats, intervals, proportions, perspective, etc.

Lots of people who make their living doing art, also do other types of art to relax and recharge their creative muscles, ya know just for fun. Being an artist is a mind set,not just a job. And given that artists look at the world in their own inimitable way, it stands to reason that they might invent things as well. I don't believe the two are mutually exclusive.

I doubt Hemingway would punch you out for calling him an 'artist' but I'd bet money he would have punched you out if you'd referred to him as 'weak and effeminate'
 MeramecRiverRat
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Is art attractive?
Posted: 11/13/2018 3:59:51 PM

I've not really had any questions about my art and a few times when asked what my degree is in had no replies after replying fine art.

I can see why a degree in fine arts can be a turnoff. Years in college, big opportunity cost, possible student loans, low chance of the degree helping in one's career or hiring chances. Art students / grads do have a reputation. I dated a gal with a MFA and she was a flake. A female coworker was taking online MFA courses; apparently she wanted to become a graphic artist. She stayed at the job doing her simple clerical duties. Her existing degree was worthless too (anthropology). At my college, some people used the term "artfag" to refer to students in the school of fine arts. There was an art student on my floor one year; girls seemed to like him, but as a friend. He and I were buddies but he didn't talk about dates / relationships and I didn't ask him nosy details.

Art as a hobby shouldn't be a dealbreaker. You apparently have some practical art skills, for example making furniture. You sound handy, and being handy is a positive.

It's possible to be scientific / technical as well as artistic. My father was a scientist and he spent a lot of his free time woodcarving and other creative artistic projects. I'm a software developer and do my own graphic art for the applications.

Someone who dates an artist should be prepared to receive personal art as a gift. Don't date an airhead who expects mass produced retail gifts, who would be disappointed to receive a one of a kind item you created. Find someone who appreciates your handiwork.

Maybe you can incorporate your art into daring lines to use on girls. You can bring up the idea of her posing nude for you to paint or sculpt? Having her try her hands at the spinning pottery wheel might put her in the mood?
 PennyAnte
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Is art attractive?
Posted: 11/13/2018 6:04:43 PM
I am an artist and men find it attractive and admire me for it. I am semi retired and I make a good income with my artwork. If you know you are talented at it then pursue it. If you are self sufficient why do you care what women will think about it? You can be yourself or betray yourself trying to be someone you are not to please women.
 siisaa
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Is art attractive?
Posted: 11/17/2018 12:56:21 PM
it's attractive if I like the guy who's creating the art. Art as an entity alone isn't attractive or unattractive to me. I've dated a few musician-types and they were all either scatterbrained, flaky with drug- or alcohol-abuse issues. Hmmmm.....on my past experience alone, I'll pass on artistic types.
 flyover_boy
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Is art attractive?
Posted: 11/18/2018 6:23:13 PM

I am an artist and men find it attractive and admire me for it. I am semi retired and I make a good income with my artwork. If you know you are talented at it then pursue it. If you are self sufficient why do you care what women will think about it? You can be yourself or betray yourself trying to be someone you are not to please women.

There are a sea of people like this, who are my neighbors. Are you sure I didn’t see you at a wine tasting here ? Last third of life...and enjoying it being occupied by more of a hobby than a ‘standard career.’ That’s great for them. Honestly. Some of them exited a 'rat race’ career/ job that gave them a savings to live now; or they invested well, early pensions (often governmental), former sales folks, they divorced well/inheritance. However, if you look very carefully, for most artists, you’ll find some sign of some kind of dependency on something/someone else for subsistence. Maybe something as simple as where they live, paying two hundred bucks a month rent (or free)...but for non family members that would be 3500 a month.

The lure of ‘freedom’ is what makes some appeal to the artist. While I’d respect someone’s choice, I don’t know if I’d ‘admire’ them for it. Frankly, personally, I don’t find it particularly attractive either. I’ve found artists can be moody, temperamental, argumentative...with their fair share of substance/alcohol abuse issues. However, it is one thing to layout adult plans for the last third of your life and 'set up house’ to do so. Hey...you’re independently wealthy, do what you want...you go ! Different story if you’re in the mid 20‘s and spent money and resources on an advanced education which doesn’t have a great employment track record.

OP...I'm a little surprised at your age you are getting this kinda of blow back. You're young...and I presume you're dealing with other young ladies in 'carefree youth.' If you were older, mid 40‘s and living modestly, sure, then I’d get it 'set in your artistic ways.' Being young, you're looked at as 'a guy with potential' to many women. But they are jumping to this question...‘what’s that masters in ?' The reality is, they don’t see you as a viable provider. Fair or not.

Living in the LA area...believe me, I met plenty of 'artists' with jobs in the 'services.' It’s how they ate hash. Each one of them, hanging on the story about someone they knew who 'made it.' Meanwhile, at the bar, were guys I saw pulling better than 100k a year, no college education, maybe a trade...working on roads, plumbers, carpenters, electricians and so on. Often, with the addendum, 'Yeah, I could make more if I wanted OT.' So, when I hear the public discussion of making college education free...not for paths like this, frankly.

That's not a slam on you. I don't know how the system works in the UK. I presume it was a personal choice and you probably knew the risks...or I hope so. You followed your star, and being young, nothing to say you can't make some changes later. Nor am I personally down on the arts, I enjoy the arts. There are just some broader considerations besides personal passions.
 PennyAnte
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Is art attractive?
Posted: 11/29/2018 9:37:22 AM
Fly boy.. You shouldn't paint all artists with the same brush.
You are generalizing and that is just ignorant.
I was always an artist and made money from my paintings and crafts.
I was a teacher for many years and I supplemented my income with art.
It gives me joy, relieves stress and gives me healthy esteem to know people enjoy my work enough to pay for it.
I'm sorry your experience with artists is a negative one but not all artists are like that.
I feel blessed that God gave me these talents and I've shared my creativity with hundreds of children over the years.
Before I was a teacher I was an OT and the fact that I was artistic gave me great advantages in that field.
Fly boy.. You have a broad brush and perhaps you have overlooked small details that paint a more perfect picture of
the advantages of having an artistic eye. It's a gift.
 2ufo
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Is art attractive?
Posted: 11/29/2018 11:06:51 AM

I've not really had any questions about my art and a few times when asked what my degree is in had no replies after replying fine art.

Possibly because a lot of people have no to little knowledge about art.
When you tell them your degree is in fine art, go on a little more about it so they can ask questions.
For example:
"My degree is fine art but I can tell you that working in sculpture is a pain in the knuckles."
"My degree is fine art though I did poorly in drawing - my fruit still lifes look like a kitchen massacre."
"My degree is fine art but I worked as a bricklayer for a few years. There's a commonality between the two."
"My degree is fine art. I find the history fascinating. Did you know 20,000 years old, people already knew how to make pigments and dyes?"
etc...
 julystorm22
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Is art attractive?
Posted: 11/29/2018 11:54:09 AM
You need someone who will appreciate you and appreciate the fine arts, and you either need a woman who is financially well off or you need to either show you make a good living off of it or upplay what you do as a job to pay for your passion. That's the truth of it.

Fine art is also seen as a feminine field. I know its not but I'm just saying it is seen that way by many. Sometimes people think men in the fine arts are gay. Women with degrees in fine art are smiled at and men with degrees in fine art are sighed at. Note, that that is only the case in North America. In many other countries, such as in Europe, male artists are appreciated and attractive.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Is art attractive?