Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Idiots on POF      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Powerx52
Msg: 1
Idiots on POFPage 1 of 1    
Every now and then, I come across a profile with those useless disclaimers....saw one tonight, I kid you not the bullshit below took up pretty much all of her profile...how on earth can you take someone who is this stupid seriously?

Now, also, as a returning fish, I'm well aware of the forums. As a male with an opinion, let the bashing by the resident trolls begin. LOL

This:
WARNING -any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or
the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control the contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

For those of you who do not understand the reasoning behind this posting, dating sites are now a publicly traded entity. Unless you state otherwise, anyone can infringe on your right to privacy once you post to this site. It is recommended that you and other members post a similar notice as this, or you may copy and paste this version. If you do not post such a statement once, then you are indirectly allowing public use of items such as your photos and the information contained in your profile.

WARNING: Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for commercial purposes, studies or projects-you DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.
 mahwahgirl339114
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Idiots on POF
Posted: 11/20/2018 6:36:40 PM
A very well-written disclaimer! Probably a lawyer having a little fun.
 oldwxman
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Idiots on POF
Posted: 11/20/2018 8:06:30 PM
I would guess that she is poking fun at deep state conspiracy theories.
 mahwahgirl339114
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Idiots on POF
Posted: 11/20/2018 9:50:55 PM
^^^Well in all honesty, I'm not usually interested in conspiracy theories but I do wonder why applications I want to download on my phone "want access to all your photos, contacts, everything else" - why exactly, may I ask? I skip such apps if I can help it. Why do websites "want to know your location"? Wherever the heck I am on my very predictable commute, why do you wanna know? I used to wonder about the Motor Vehicles' "skip the trip" - stay home, we know what you look like... hmm. lol.
 spot4username
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Idiots on POF
Posted: 11/21/2018 1:56:20 AM
You see people post disclaimers like this in different places on social media. People are too stupid to realize they just make them look like idiots. When you sign up for a site there is a TOS and it supersedes all of these silly things that people put on their social media. Whenever you see one you know the person isn't the brightest bulb in the chandelier. /shrug/ as good a reason as any to click next
 MeramecRiverRat
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Idiots on POF
Posted: 11/21/2018 3:52:58 AM

why applications I want to download on my phone "want access to all your photos, contacts, everything else"

Android requires an app to ask for permission to do various things, for example to read and write files on the phone's "external storage" (files you can see and add or delete). Some apps I've written have an option to save files on their phone or to load their own custom files from the phone. This makes the app more useful for customers.

Well behaved apps access only what they need.

Most apps are useless and it's better to go on the company's mobile version of their website (if they have one) or the same website looking as it does with a computer. As far as I know, the Facebook app for phones is completely worthless. The only thing it does beyond the mobile website is bombard you with notifications every time something minor happens. They require downloading an additional huge, bloated, invasive app "Messenger" to do more.

Many corporate apps profit from your information, for example fast food apps that give you a "discount" for ordering online through the app. They sell your info, making more money than they lost by giving you 6 tacos for the price of 5. In those cases, the permission does use your info for profit.

Websites probably want your location so they can show what's available at their nearest retail location, and to link you to maps to show how to get to their store from your location. Tinder should know your location so two people know how far apart they currently are. Bumble allows accessing your photos so you can attach a picture that's not on your profile. I doubt either of those two sites is stealing random photos for resale; they probably make their money by selling paid user features such as the ability to see who has already swiped yes on you.

Legal disclaimers in profile text are a waste of space and they increase the chance viewers hit the back button without messaging. People who have such garbage in their profiles are indeed idiots who would probably do other idiotic behavior on dates and in relationships.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Idiots on POF
Posted: 11/21/2018 6:23:38 AM
I've come across those also. First thing that comes to my mind, is how paranoid they are.

My guess, and mind you, it's just a guess, is that these people are trying to hide from something. Doing something illegal? Suggestion-If you are, then it would be wise to not go up on social media to begin with. Do me a favor, choose not to know me. I won't miss you at all.

Are you copying my photos and using them somewhere else? Gee, I hope you do better with them than I do. Posting photos online means you open yourself to, well, whatever. Since I have none in my birthday suit, I'm not worried. Want one? I have a body. It's just like millions of other guys, bodies. Hate to disappoint you, but I have nothing extra on mine. Are you gay, and get your jollies from looking at 60+ year old guys? Have a ball, but I'm not going to let you see it live. Not my cup of tea.

I know some women get funky about it. Finding nekked women's photies is easy online. Yeah, they look nice. Ahh, news flash- all have the same equipment. Some more, some less, but it's all the same. I wanna see one with one extra. But I've only got two hands, so it's a waste of space. Some, would get comments like, That would look better trimmed up, or that would be better if there was less of it. You really should have a doctor examine that. Or you looked better, dressed.

I don't care, no one is that self important. Wanna be that anal? Go ahead. I can live without knowing you. It might be better if I did anyway. I'm sure you're not ready for the nasty cracks I'd throw at you. You won't like it, but I'd enjoy thehell out of it
 hemingway234
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Idiots on POF
Posted: 11/21/2018 7:23:09 AM
Companies and websites want as much information as they can get from you........there is a market for your personal info, and they sell it to information brokers.

Also, scammers will steal your pics
Idiots on POF
Posted: 11/21/2018 9:38:38 AM
dollars to donuts, the people putting "fine print" into their profiles are simply copying what they saw or heard someone else do, and thought it would be the latest and coolest fad to chase. like, you know, kissy faces and cartoon ears. as for why any computer software wants more info on you than it needs...somehow its going to sell the info for advertisers. i remember a local singles website that advertised on stick-in-the-ground signs in the city i used to live in. when i looked it up, they said they only accepted members making more than $30K a year.

well, duh...if you're single and making that around there, you had disposable income and they were going to sell your contact info, along with all your hobbies and pursuits so you could be targeted. anyone who ever looked into direct mail marking and remembers how to avoid buying a dead list, could see it as clearly as looking at the Matrix.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Idiots on POF
Posted: 11/21/2018 12:47:48 PM
Well I believe it is just a general access that all apps ask for but it often serves a useful purpose on many apps. For example, it allows you on WhatsApp to have the app open your photo files when you want to attach photos.
Websites wanting to know your location/ C'mon that is an easy one. Haven't you noticed the advertisements are often from business near by?
 mahwahgirl339114
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Idiots on POF
Posted: 11/21/2018 8:38:34 PM

the Facebook app for phones is completely worthless. The only thing it does beyond the mobile website is bombard you with notifications every time something minor happens. They require downloading an additional huge, bloated, invasive app "Messenger" to do more.

I did try to check my Facebook messages from the website on my phone, and they won't let you. They say you must download messenger, at least that was a year or two ago when I used Facebook more. I stay away from apps for the precise reason that your phone gets flooded with popup ads, notifications etc. But no, no Tinder or Bumble here, when I do go back to using dating sites it will be from my desktop computer as it has always been. I like to read a profile and a message without haste and write good responses. The one word messages with spelling errors are clearly written on a phone, with weird intervals, and it's not a conversation. Such exchanges make me feel rejected and sad, I don't want to be on either the giving or receiving end...
 cooldog65
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Idiots on POF
Posted: 11/21/2018 9:02:03 PM

WARNING: Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for commercial purposes, studies or projects-you DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

I just now deleted this off of my profile. I'm no longer an idiot...

My locator on my phone is almost always off. I only turn it on at home to check the weather and then I turn it back off.
 grover14
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Idiots on POF
Posted: 11/22/2018 7:18:30 AM
It's true what Hemingway said about people using your photos. I was viewing a Facebook page about bald men, and someone posted one of my pof photos. Nothing is private on the internet.
 ssm508
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Idiots on POF
Posted: 11/22/2018 7:46:20 AM

I have seen this on POF and elsewhere. I think it's useless. Even if someone found their POF pictures elsewhere, there isn't necessarily conclusive evidence about who stole it and where they stole it from. A person could say (s)he found those pictures somewhere else on the internet. There are millions or billions of websites.
 Inner_circle
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Idiots on POF
Posted: 11/22/2018 9:18:20 AM
Seeing as the terms and conditions are agreed to upon signing up, adding your own disclaimer is useless.

I don't assume the poster of said disclaimer is dumb, just not knowledgeable on this topic.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Idiots on POF
Posted: 11/22/2018 3:42:49 PM
Idiots on POF ?...…………...No, surely not!
 2ufo
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Idiots on POF
Posted: 11/23/2018 8:24:27 AM
I wish you hadn’t seen that... your innocence is destroyed.
*sigh*
Idiots abound.
Especially when you’re looking for them.

Inner Circle... I believe the disclaimer is for third parties who are not included in the contract.

The only assumption I have for posters who make this disclaimer is that they’re afraid (of what, I’m not sure).
Or they’re attempting to micromanage things they can’t control.
Or maybe they’ve been involved in some some legal brangle before (that comes under ‘fear’ again).
Or they think that other countries are tied by contracts in the US or Canada.
Or or or...
I guess I don’t make too many lasting assumptions about anyone with such a disclaimer.
 MtRushmore1970
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Idiots on POF
Posted: 11/23/2018 10:13:08 AM
Those idiots don't realize that the moment they post photos here or elsewhere on the interwebs, that they're giving up sole ownership to said photos.

Some websites even claim in their TOS that they reserve the right to do with whatever they desire with your photos once you post them on THEIR server, including, using them in e-mail newsletters or blog posts.

Same thing with forum posts. Users may create the content contained within the posts, but the website owns the content. Which is why Craigslist removed sex ads from their platform, because they run afoul of federal laws and likely contribute to sex trafficking.
 Werecow
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Idiots on POF
Posted: 11/26/2018 8:35:07 AM
I'd seen privacy notices appearing awhile back, and came to the same conclusion as Inner_Circle: it's ignorance, not stupidity. Ignorance can be overcome by education, but as Ron White says, "You can't fix stupid."

After seeing one too many of those notices, I added this to my profile:

==============
**** PRIVACY NOTICE ****
There is no privacy notice. Why? tl:dr: Their site, their rules.

By creating a profile here, you have entered into a binding contract with Plentyoffish Media ULC ("POF"), subjecting you to their terms and conditions. Any pseudo-legal-sounding word salad that you copy/paste into your profile carries zero legal weight, so don't waste your time. If you don't want something in your profile to be potentially shared everywhere on the internet, DON'T POST IT.
==============

:)

Related: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/facebook-posts-made-public/
 HUMHUMA
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Idiots on POF
Posted: 12/15/2018 4:29:00 AM
Another person who says it like it is!....yep I read profiles and laugh at these disclaimers because they wouldn't know who pirated their photos....could be anyone on any sight!.....it's entertaining for sure!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Idiots on POF