Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What is the latest name-calling Buzz Word you have heard?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 1
view profile
History
What is the latest name-calling Buzz Word you have heard?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Not to make this too sexist, but I have waaay too many female friends in Facebook, and they just LOVE calling Ex's by names.
Ex friends, Ex spouses - it always seems like there is yet another way to cruelly identify these people they no longer like.
This last election cycle brought the extreme name-calling out of the dusty attic for even the most calm and cool of customers as well.

The latest name I've seen used more than once is 'Malignant Narcissist' -- which seems to be an over-the-top blanket term dumped on anyone who refuses to put the other person first.

What I find Ironic is most of the people doing the name-calling are usually showing strong traits of the name themselves. What have you heard?
What is the latest name-calling Buzz Word you have heard?
Posted: 11/21/2018 9:34:51 AM
last i heard was BAE, and supposedly it meant, "before anyone else". but you wanted an ex. out here, they use the old names for an ex you can't stand--i always thought MFer was appropriate in the cases where kids came out of the relationship, b/c well...its technically correct :)
 daynadaze
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2018 12:14:00 PM
LOL. When I feel all snotty about an ex, I remember that I was the one choosing to be with him.
 PennyAnte
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2018 12:26:58 PM
Feckless C8nt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RMf-5Ou4JM

"What I find Ironic is most of the people doing the name-calling are usually showing strong traits of the name themselves."

Yes transference is real.
 danp323
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/21/2018 12:48:04 PM
Hi I've been on here 5 yes all I get is abuse any advice
 purplerider1200
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2018 2:33:49 PM
Since I was called every name under the sun back in high school, calling me one today is a waste of time. Really, as it should be with anyone. About the only time I think about her anymore, is on topics like this.

I'd rather talk to a telemarketer. The difference, is none. They won't tell you anything about their personal lives. Neither will my peabrained ex. I just miss the fun of hanging up on her.
 mahwahgirl339114
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2018 7:42:56 PM
Ugh nasty energy in this thread, getting the hell out.
 lnitia
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2018 3:31:19 PM
narcissist-any one of the types, sociopath, psychopath, mentally ill seem very popular- Empath but that is a buzzword "self compliment" lol
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2018 3:49:14 PM
OP asked:

Go visit any political thread in Off Topic and you'll find latest buzz word slurs, repeated endlessly.
 flowersinthelake
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2018 11:20:41 AM
Actually, malignant narcissism is a thing to appropriately describe somebody of the extreme end. It describes DJT's issue, to a "T."
 julystorm22
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2018 7:41:49 PM
I have called my ex a narcissist but that's because he is one.

Symptoms (according to https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/conditions/narcissistic-personality-disorder)
Narcissistic personality disorder is indicated by five or more of the following symptoms:
Exaggerates own importance
Is preoccupied with fantasies of success, power, beauty, intelligence or ideal romance
Believes he or she is special and can only be understood by other special people or institutions
Requires constant attention and admiration from others
Has unreasonable expectations of favorable treatment
Takes advantage of others to reach his or her own goals
Disregards the feelings of others, lacks empathy
Is often envious of others or believes other people are envious of him or her
Shows arrogant behaviors and attitudes

I actually figured out he was a narcissist after listening to Dr. Laura on Sirius XM radio. Something I realized early on was an inability to empathize with anyone but where I really think the narcissism affected him was when it came to employment. He always thought a lot of the jobs he had were below him and that he shouldn't have to work at them. He also often needed attention in certain ways. He was a bit of a hypochondriac too and I think it was because he wanted attention. And he always got people to do him favours but never did favours for anyone in return. Anytime he did something nice for anyone it was because of something he wanted in return I feel really sorry for my kids. They really haven't figured him out yet and he uses them as pawns to get to me I think.
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2018 8:00:52 PM

Symptoms (according to https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/conditions/narcissistic-personality-disorder)
Narcissistic personality disorder is indicated by five or more of the following symptoms:
Is preoccupied with fantasies of success, power, beauty, intelligence or ideal romance
Believes he or she is special and can only be understood by other special people or institutions
while I never knew exactly what it meant, ironically, it has mostly been thrown out as an insult from someone fitting that to a tee!
 purplerider1200
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2018 8:17:15 PM

Bet about half of the people I've ever met have had at least three of those tendencies. Five isn't hard to spot. Go to off topics, and you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a couple. I don't know about you, but being around these types wear me out. Those that are aware of their own narcissistic personalities, and hide them, can be especially annoying. You go along thinking everything is working well, then you get blindsided by it.

About the only way to deal with people like that, is confronting them with your own demands. If it doesn't set well with them, they will go their own way, solving your problem.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2018 9:18:15 PM

About the only way to deal with people like that, is confronting them with your own demands. If it doesn't set well with them, they will go their own way, solving your problem.

It is simply amazing how many singles out there still believe they can DEMAND respect instead of earning it. I've been on more than one first date that I wished I had a mirror I could put up while they are giving their soapbox speeches. I really hate the idea of stooping to their level, but with some, anything less - they consider acceptance. For the people too far gone, becoming like them further enhances their theory that ALL people of the opposite gender are 'that' way - they simply refuse to see the world in any other light.

Being rejected a thousand times before, or being manipulated by just one bad relationship - still doesn't mean you deserve better from the next person.
 lnitia
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2018 9:43:57 PM
people kept telling me i deserved better while in a bad relationship-i told my sister, who i very much respect- " i can't get on board with that" I was really confused i knew that i had put myself there and was staying in it-that we teach people how to treat us- She said "We get exactly what we deserve- we make our choices- our relationships are the result of such" that made fabulous real logical sense to me!!
Some Republicans choose the buzzword "baby killers"( for democrats)
 curvylady1965
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2018 7:55:30 AM
It's interesting (c0ncerning?) that narcissist seems to be a popular "buzzword" regardless of where we are geographically and it makes me wonder whether there is something going on culturally that has promoted narcissistic behaviours. Not having training in diagnosis (my university courses don't equal training in my books), I am not comfortable labelling the people I have been with before as falling under a certain category, such as narcissist. Mind you, I was told by the ex-wife of the last person I was with that he was a narcissist and she had been to counselling so perhaps the label fits in his case. All I know is that if I were ever to pursue a relationship again, I would stay away from someone who exhibited some of his behaviours, such as his obsession with fitness.
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2018 9:42:25 AM

Go to off topics, and you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a couple. I don't know about you, but being around these types wear me out.
I can think of several (or one with several profiles) that fit every last symptom. in real life, I need not look too hard to find 3 or more and THEY are the ones using it as an insult. get into a political discussion and plenty of buzz words flying around and rarely fit their true meaning.
 lnitia
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2018 12:30:01 PM
Yes and the "buzzword" is just that.. it is wise to understand that while general categorization/classification can be mildly helpful seeing that people are individuals and even when in such categories- outliers exist and do not exhibit classic criteria-these classifications exist for the Mental health care fields and not wise for layman to diagnose others or utilize layperson diagnostics-yet certainly wise to note characteristics that create issues for ourselves and honor those "gut instincts" too often i have ignored those for myself- rationalized them away and when picking up the debris-the easy pieces are the "red flags" that i ignored and rationalized away before the bomb. lol
 julystorm22
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2018 1:31:20 PM
The biggest thing that makes someone a narcissist is an inability to empathize with others. Of course most people exhibit narcissistic qualities at times but that doesn't mean they have the narcissistic personality disorder. With my ex, I realized he just has no aptitude for empathy. Sometimes he would get so angry at what someone did or how they reacted or he could not figure out why they wouldn't do what he wanted and I would have to explain it to him and he still didn't really get it. When it came to the kids, he only likes them when they are doing something that he enjoys. The kids learned not to ask their dad to do things like read a story to them or watch a cartoon or certain things that he did not enjoy doing because he would always tell them "Daddy doesn't do those things." I would try and explain to him that he should do them because his kids like to do them and it makes them feel good but he would only do it because he wanted to appease me so I wouldn't be mad at him. Housework it was the same thing. He would do dishes one day because I would ask him to (he would never do them on his own) and the two days later I would say "your turn at dishes" and he would say no because I didn't have sex with him afterwards two days before. Sex seemed to be his only reason for doing things around the house, not because he wanted to have a nice house or contribute to the household or anything. And then there were his problems at work. Every time he would quit or get fired from a job he would always say it was because the boss or the job was the problem. He would say things like "they didn't respect me" or "they treated me poorly" or "they expected me to do too much". There was zero self-reflection or accountability on his part. The only trouble was that its apparent after 10, 20 and 30 jobs that its not the employer that is the problem but the employee. He always expected the employer to bend over backwards for him but would never do it for them. And when people we knew, including his family, would help him out with things, he would always weasel his way out of helping. I was furious so many times with him. I had a fight with his parents one time because he suddenly had a bad back when they needed help moving and I and their daughters helped out while he laid in bed on his cellphone all day. Suddenly, in the evening he felt better and went out snowmobiling with friends.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2018 3:37:30 PM
Paragraphs are a wondrous thing, ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ So "Paragraph" is my buzz word for the day.
 MsMicki
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2018 3:55:56 PM
^^
and could have been summed up with "My ex was an azzhole!"
 mahwahgirl339114
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2018 9:55:01 PM
"The kids learned not to ask their dad to do things like read a story to them or watch a cartoon or certain things that he did not enjoy doing because he would always tell them "Daddy doesn't do those things." "

This hits home, my dad just wasn't into kids and family, some of the stuff he said to me both back then and now is so obnoxious I won't repeat it and if we were closer, I'd ask him what the hell is wrong with you. It's so unfair to kids that some men have more father in them than others. Dad told me in the recent years "I really want grandchildren." But he also complained about a toddler at the house where he was staying that the child was "crawling around and freaking crying, crawling around and freaking crying" and my dad was really aggravated - well that's what kids do! I didn't respond anything to his wish to have grandchildren. I think it has more to do with him being older and thinking that it would be appropriate for him to have grandkids, even though he never raised a family (and never spent on a family, that's why he is quite well off, and he was very pleased with my reaction to his over 2 million dollar home, the interior etc. when I visited him this year), and likes his space immaculately clean - incompatible with little kids. He doesn't let me run my mouth on him and I think it's good, there are things unsaid that are better left unsaid. And I genuinely don't see any point for saying things to him. now in his mid-sixties, things about the past that will hurt, why go there, it is what it is. Such as that I would have preferred to have Dad around as a child than be excited about his money now. And I'm the same with men to a fault, I'm quiet, quiet... an older friend told me today, do express your inner feelings, men know anyway when something is wrong and you're not speaking.

Sorry for the rant in the form of one long paragraph... this just hit home.
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 11/26/2018 10:59:13 AM
its interesting the people who support a certain politician who is criticized for his narcisstic traits, don't see it in him. i don't mean that as a criticism, just that we tend not to spot red flags--for a variety of reasons. red flags don't seem to be as universal as we hope them to be, and maybe that's why we get collectively amazed that someone can't see what is obvious to us.
 mahwahgirl339114
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 11/26/2018 7:05:09 PM
And things that are obvious to us are not obvious to you, that's the nature of disagreement.
 MeramecRiverRat
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2018 4:08:54 AM
"Commitment Phobe". Apparently any man who doesn't want to get as serious as she does, or doesn't want to get serious as quickly as she does.

"Clingy". Apparently any man who wants to get more serious than she does, or sooner than she does.

By their system of namecalling, she fits the other name. If he's a commitment phobe, she's clingy and vice versa.

Of course when women refer to the ex with any of these phrases, people are likely to enable her, telling her how terrible he is and how nothing is wrong with her.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What is the latest name-calling Buzz Word you have heard?