Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What are things you see in dating profiles that will make you sadly s      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 morta1ez
Msg: 1
view profile
History
What are things you see in dating profiles that will make you sadly skip past them?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Meaning say you come across a dating profile that draws you in, they seem to have many things in common with you, same likes, interests, political views, taste in music/movies, similar hobbies etc etc..

There photos seem up to date and you find them attractive etc etc
Every thing seems perfect until you run across one thing that ruins it in your eyes,
something mentioned in their about me: (usually mentioned somewhere towards the end).

Or something in their stats that is a deal breaker for you.

Or something in the settings of some or most of their photos gives you pause.

A few examples for me are:

1. if I see in there stats they are looking for "just friends" or "casual dating/just dating nothing serious/no commitment( different sites/apps word it differently)"

2. if I see in their stats they have a job/career that traditionally does not allow much time for a relationship, typically jobs that keep them away a lot where they either have to do a lot of traveling or just plain long hours. I prefer women who clock out after 8 hours so we can hang out more.

3. If I see in their stats they have young children at home.

4. If every other photo in their profile is them in a bar getting toasted(not the girl you take home to mom).

5. If every other photo is of here in front of a different exotic landmark(and the timestamps span only a few years most recent being a few months ago), I'm thinking this girl will have me broke or sitting home alone most of the time. (I've traveled a lot also but my timestamps would average 5 - 10 years apart as an adult. and since I was a military brat growing up most would be childhood photos lol).
 purplerider1200
Msg: 2
view profile
History
What are things you see in dating profiles that will make you sadly skip past them?
Posted: 12/5/2018 3:29:38 PM
Hopeless romantics.

I prefer to live on planet earth. Where shyt happens. Work gets in the way. Families create problems. Anything mechanical can fly apart. The guberment can decide to audit your taxes. Bills get in the way. Your dog thinks your cell looks too appetising not to chew on. Instead of keeping up with that, I find it's better not to start up with one.
What are things you see in dating profiles that will make you sadly skip past them?
Posted: 12/5/2018 4:41:51 PM
Women who smoke. That can be cigarettes or 420. Not my thing.

I've dated when my kids were young but over time I found that it was best for me to not date women with young kids. My Dads get stuck with the every other weekend schedule and one night during the week so the Mom would most likely have her kids when I don't have mine then she'd be free to go out when my kids are with me.

To much traveling is a good one. I like to travel but wouldn't be able to get away once a month so I've stared away from some that have pictures in a different location every month.

Women with big dogs. To many experiences with them jumping on me, wanting to be the center of attention and entering the bedroom at the wrong time.
 Natey2
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2018 4:44:35 PM
1. Workout/Gym mania.
Interestingly, these people often won't mow their own lawn or do other forms of physical work except workout at the gym.

But it's good that they mention it in their profile instead of the generic "positive things only" profiles that attracts too many people they'll have trouble keeping up with.
 morta1ez
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2018 5:04:44 PM

1. Workout/Gym mania.
Interestingly, these people often won't mow their own lawn or do other forms of physical work except workout at the gym.

But it's good that they mention it in their profile instead of the generic "positive things only" profiles that attracts too many people they'll have trouble keeping up with.

Often because after an intense workout you are too drained to do much else, and those other examples of physical work don't have the same results as Gym work or 90% of suburban dads would look like John Cena instead of Kevin James.
Posted: 12/5/2018 5:11:01 PM
Something else that makes me skip over someone - they have the "Don't contact me if..." list. And I've seen some long lists.
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2018 5:26:46 PM
the bigger ones for me are similar to o.p.'s . no kids at home, reasonable distance, similar lifestyles. after that, the list or everything their ex did wrong is a huge turn off. as others said, gym/workout is their life, their pets are their priority or bar sluts just doesn't fit my lifestyle. i don't waste their or my time if clearly out of my league financially. wont compete with hundreds over the supermodels either.
 cooldog65
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2018 6:16:50 PM

If every other photo is of here in front of a different exotic landmark(and the timestamps span only a few years most recent being a few months ago), I'm thinking this girl will have me broke or sitting home alone most of the time.

Unless the picture is a selfie, I'm always curious about who took the picture. Maybe it was the guy who paid for the vacation.
 MsMicki
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2018 6:30:36 PM
Sure is a lot of assumptions going on based on some photos...

me thinks this on line dating thing has made people forget how to get to know someone with some good old fashioned conversation instead of judging in the one minute it takes to read a profile....
 morta1ez
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2018 8:37:21 PM

Sure is a lot of assumptions going on based on some photos...

me thinks this on line dating thing has made people forget how to get to know someone with some good old fashioned conversation instead of judging in the one minute it takes to read a profile....

Through conversation getting to know someone or the things you NEED to know is very time consuming and rude to ask.

But because profile forms ask those questions for you, you don't end up offending someone trying to get a feel for them.

Also some BUZZ words in profiles let you know before hand who you are dealing with, once you have done this awhile you pick up on patterns. all their hobbies and interests are listed so you know what you have in common.
Examples:
guy posing in front of a high end car or truck(douche bag who thinks he can buy you).
every other photo in an exotic location(she reeeeeaaaaalllyy likes to travel and I can't afford that even dutch)
every other photo is in a bar downing shots? (unless he/she is a musician or a bartender or any other bar staff they aren't ready to settle down).
 MsMicki
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2018 3:17:39 AM

Examples:
guy posing in front of a high end car or truck(douche bag who thinks he can buy you).
every other photo in an exotic location(she reeeeeaaaaalllyy likes to travel and I can't afford that even dutch)
every other photo is in a bar downing shots?.

maybe it's just a perception...
Guy posing in front of a high end car or truck = I have a good job and am stable in my life
Exotic locations = I work hard and play hard and am looking to share the fun things in life with someone
Photos in bars = I have a social life and don't spend all my spare time at home in front of the TV or computer -

You look for negative....you will find it.
You take the time to get to know someone - you might find love.
 Carnival_Fishing
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2018 6:17:31 AM
"Guy posing in front of a high end car or truck = I have a good job and am stable in my life"

Either that, or "I hope the owner of this fancy car/truck doesn't show up while I'm having pictures taken in front of it."
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2018 8:45:59 AM
Examples:
every other photo is in a bar downing shots?.

Guy posing in front of a high end car or truck = I have a good job and am stable in my life
Exotic locations = I work hard and play hard and am looking to share the fun things in life with someone
Photos in bars = I have a social life and don't spend all my spare time at home in front of the TV or computer -

to a degree, it is negativity but i agree with o.p. a pic with an expensive car is rarely pride in accomplishment but usually closer to his views. many trips to exotic locations isn't a bad thing, just something i cant afford and photos in bars tells what she does with her free time. again, not negative if you also spend all your free time at bars but there is more in life than bars or watching t.v./computer. the last two are more preference than negativity but he is spot on with the exotic car. arrogant douche bag.
 hemingway234
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2018 9:05:50 AM
I'm empathetic and can read people, even with as little as one picture......Half the pictures I see on this site are of damaged women........so I can discount many without even looking at the profile - even beautiful ones.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2018 2:25:05 PM
I'll skip teachers. Aside from most being dems, a good many I've ever met were nags. Seems like they all gotta gripe about something.

Travelers are another one. I never was that interested in seeing Europe. Most wouldn't like the way I travel anyway.
 ponyelvis82
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2018 3:07:19 PM
"I'm not looking for a hookup."

These are the people that guys have to jump through hoops just to be coworkers without having hostility towards them, because every guy clearly just wants sex. Asking her if she can switch days with him at work, that's clearly trying to get in her pants. I definitely stay away from that girl in the dating world.
 MeramecRiverRat
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2018 3:46:13 AM

High end car or truck: he's trying to compensate for his inadequacy at having a small you-know-what. (Female with big engine = trying to compensate for Freudian inadequacy and using the engine as a dildo). As to their job and stability, they might owe big bucks on a vehicle loan, upside down on the vehicle, with most of the paychecks going to car payments and mortgage (also bought more house than was practical).

Intent (casual, relationship, etc) doesn't sway me because a high percentage of people don't live up to that setting anyway. Women who claim they want FWB / NSA are notorious for wanting a committed relationship, and people who claim they want LTR often seem to be evasive of commitment. Bumble recently added a field for intent. Almost none of the female profiles I've viewed there so far have selected "relationship".

Here are just some of the things in profiles that make me swipe "no" or hit the back button:

Showing blind support of police and/or military, for example the American police flag in a photo or "I back the blue", "blue lives matter". Wearing anything military or being in a photo with someone in military outfit. Maybe an exception if she's in a photo with her vet father, but most likely he wouldn't flaunt his vet status if he was drafted. Any tribute to 9/11, an image of the twin towers, most American flag images.

Don't like left wing political flaunting either: "me too", "black lives matter", LGBTQ filters, demanding minimum wage of $15 or more, pro-union, "don't contact me if you voted for Trump", etc.

If her profile text says anything about being Christian or Jewish, or mentioning God. Might consider if her profile religion setting is Christian and she doesn't say anything about religion.

If profile text contains the word "passport". Unless context is "I don't have a passport and don't plan to get one".

Any text requiring he have a job, career, be a "professional", or the various other codes demanding he be rich and spend money on her.

Photos with children. If text says "I have no kids, that's my niece", translation is "The niece is my substitute kid until I can get someone to create a kid through me or I can be a stepmom".

Photos with someone of the opposite gender. Looks like they're currently in a relationship. For sites where they pull photos from Facebook, looks like they make terrible decisions to choose photos not good for a dating site.

Any text that rationalizes being rejected / ignored by claiming "intimidated by a strong / smart / independent woman". She's not strong. She's not smart. She's not independent. We're not intimidated. And if she were any of those things, that's not why we're not interested.

Anyone who explains themselves by their zodiac sign or their Myers-Briggs letters. The only use for Zodiac is knowing when their birthday will be. Myers-Briggs is completely useless.

Profanity or anatomical slang.

Snapchat filters.

Memes. Most are whiny: "I'm super but nobody appreciates me" with a wimpy font and lame colors.
 mahwahgirl339114
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/7/2018 4:59:27 AM

I'm empathetic and can read people, even with as little as one picture......Half the pictures I see on this site are of damaged women........so I can discount many without even looking at the profile - even beautiful ones.

Well then you shouldn't have hit me up in my inbox. I'm damaged beyond belief.
Posted: 12/7/2018 5:46:44 AM
One of my interests is cars so I've owned a number of high end vehicles. Plus I was in the racing industry for many years so I kicked things up a few levels when it came to modifications. A customer took a pic as I was driving through a park one day. I included that in my profile. Not to impress or to inflate the size of my manhood but because a lot of people think guys do it for those reasons (some do). Kind of like a guy sitting on a motorcycle while wearing a tight t-shirt, probably flexing as he holds a puppy. All that happening in front of a mansion :)

I'm attracted to a woman who is into cars. I met my ex-wife at a local hangout where people raced (including her). So a profile that has a woman in or next to a nice car will get my attention as long as it's not something random on the side of the road. I've only found a couple of woman like that on here. Good looking, successful woman who had pics with her Corvette. We had some conversation but no connection. I took her attitude to be along the lines of something I read in profiles that will have me hitting the back button - what do you bring to the table? I'm more about two people having a connection and good time. Then we go from there. Not looking for a business connection.
 morta1ez
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2018 6:47:39 AM

So those types of profile photos are tailor made for clueless gold diggers or materialistic women, and by clueless I mean those that don't know that 80% of self made millionaires in America drive 10 year old cars, have smaller older homes, shop second hand, tend not to go out or travel much and actually don't have huge salaries(It makes sense when you think about it, some 40Somthing guy making 40 - 70K a year who has spent the last 20+ years living as if he only made 20k a year he is most likely going to be a millionaire) , while those who seem wealthy(nice high-end cars,big houses, exotic travels)
often have more credit than actual money.

Photos in bars = I have a social life and don't spend all my spare time at home in front of the TV or computer

Yep my biggest problem since being single again is that many people want a relationship but they want to still act like they are single.

And if you don't look for it, it slips past your mind and gets to your heart.
But I do look for the positive also, a few examples:
Workout photos(shows they may take care of themselves)
Hobby Photos(photos showing them doing things they enjoy that are similar to things I enjoy, not showing off type stuff)

But did you not say in another thread "The smart thing to do.....resist the urge to spend every frikken waking second with a new partner...."? so which is it?

A dating profile is merely a tool for eliminating OBVIOUS incompatibility and determining the other persons motives for dating , But I do agree that spending alot of time together one on one getting to know each other is the only way to know if you are compatible in the small ways also, otherwise you run the risk of being one of those annoying couples who are always at each others throat one minute and humping like bunnies the next, or spending years on again off again(Usually those couples are compatible in some major ways and mutually attracted to each other but incompatible in much of the day to day stuff).
the best and fastest way to learn anything is via total immersion,
 whiterose0
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2018 10:17:37 AM
Some things that made me skip over profiles were men who described themselves as a "homebody", men who listed "watching televised sports" as an interest, and men who indicated that they didn't travel, or enjoy traveling. I found men with those traits to be boring.
 flowersinthelake
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2018 4:16:11 AM
Things like "I could care less whether you have a degree in applied nuclear physics, a GED or dropped out in the 8th grade."
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2018 9:15:04 AM
1. Marital status-Separated

2. Drink->3x a week

3. A trophy hunter

4. "Enjoys quite times at home"

5. (Any mention of God)
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2018 11:09:07 AM
^^^^thats a good list
I’d add
A pic
An about me section
A profile.

Just kidding but for some I imagine that’s how it feels.

Auto skips are body sculptured types, those who appear to take themselves just a bit too serious. Those moaning about pof and or woman. I’m sure there’s more but I’m starting to feel negative :)
 ssm508
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2018 7:20:22 AM
Drinking pictures can simply mean that their pictures were pictures were taken at social events that involving drinking. Whether it's bar, family function, attending a game etc. I don't think you can tell how often someone drinks or goes to a bar based on some pictures. Maybe they go to bars once or twice a month. Or maybe sometimes they have 1-2 drinks after work, going to a movie cinema, or some other previous activity.

Some things that made me skip over profiles were men who described themselves as a "homebody", men who listed "watching televised sports" as an interest, and men who indicated that they didn't travel, or enjoy traveling. I found men with those traits to be boring.

I like watching sports and I don't consider myself to be boring. LOL. It's just one of several interests that I have. Sure I can understand it being a dealbreaker when a person spends most of their free time watching sports. But that can apply to any interest. I have seen very few profiles that "I don't like traveling". I have seen more profiles that "I don't travel as much as I would like" due to [insert whatever reason].
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What are things you see in dating profiles that will make you sadly skip past them?