Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > It seemed so promising.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Zillion3847
Msg: 1
view profile
History
It seemed so promising.Page 1 of 1    
I was talking to a man on here in late Sept. We started texting and talking in October. He said he was working on a big contract in New York, and we would meet up after. Well, three weeks later, no call, no contact. In early November, he starts to text me and says he is with friends in New Jersey. He told me his deal fell thru and he was depressed, and ill. He called multiple times a day. He texted endlessly. He told me he didnt want me on the POF site. He wanted to maintain just us talking to ourselves. I was keen on this. However, I did not remove my profile, as I felt I needed to meet him in person. He said he was working on a new deal.

This deal was even bigger than the last. He would shower me with gifts and dinners. Well, he returned to Mi to work on a new deal...and guess what....??? He slowly disappeared, however, he did continue to text. I asked him to meet up. He said he was sick and still working hard on the new contract. Finally, I sent him a link to why men won't meet up. He called and was very angry. He asked me what the rush to meet was all about. Also, that we could meet up, but he was sick. We contined to talk, and now, a week later, he has vanished again. I give up.
 Spectrallight
Msg: 2
view profile
History
It seemed so promising.
Posted: 12/6/2018 8:17:38 PM

I give up.

Block his number and move on.
 cooldog65
Msg: 3
view profile
History
It seemed so promising.
Posted: 12/6/2018 9:21:50 PM

I give up.

The end...
 athenashelmet
Msg: 4
It seemed so promising.
Posted: 12/7/2018 3:33:39 AM
On line dating sites attract some mighty odd characters/scenarios. Sounds like he had no intentions of meeting from the beginning, no matter what he might have said. You can only believe in yourself, not in strangers you don't know.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 5
view profile
History
It seemed so promising.
Posted: 12/7/2018 3:49:02 AM
I'd bet good money that what he told you, isn't the way his life is. Or he's married. Take a wild guess, bet it's closer to the truth than you realize.

See this site? It's a licence to lie. People can be ultra-finicky. (And are, for that matter) He's making demands already. Want him to rule over you? Just from what you've said, he would. Just a casual guess, he's trying to buy you off. I dealt with a mate that had a jealous streak a mile wide. She'd do a slow burn when I talked to one of her girlfriends-in front of her. All I was being, is sociable. That isn't fun, at all.

Cut bait and run. You'll be glad you did.
 Zillion3847
Msg: 6
view profile
History
It seemed so promising.
Posted: 12/7/2018 8:07:25 AM
Thank you. That made me feel better.
 grover14
Msg: 7
view profile
History
It seemed so promising.
Posted: 12/7/2018 9:37:12 AM
Yup, lots of nuts and big BSers out there. I'll message back and forth for maybe a week, and if I'm interested set up a coffee meet. I would block that guy.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 8
view profile
History
It seemed so promising.
Posted: 12/7/2018 1:31:32 PM
Zillion, LOL, You were hood winked, bamboozled, and taken for a ride. There are many reasons for a person to string you along..………..ain't none of them good. IF ………..you haven't met in person by 2 weeks...…. at the very MOST, it's time to, Delete/Block/Move on!
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 9
view profile
History
It seemed so promising.
Posted: 12/7/2018 2:12:54 PM

It seemed so promising.

So many do, don't they?

I felt I needed to meet him in person.

I asked him to meet up.

I sent him a link to why men won't meet up.

that we could meet up, but he was sick.

He would shower me with gifts and dinners.

Did you ever actually meet up?

If not, how did he shower you with gifts and dinners?

Or do you mean he SAID he would shower you with gifts and dinners when the new deal went through?

I give up.

Perhaps a good idea.
Your profile mentions "time wasters".
Did you add that after this situation, or you don't know how to actually identify the "time wasters"?
 __TEXASCHICK__
Msg: 10
view profile
History
It seemed so promising.
Posted: 12/7/2018 2:59:00 PM
Scammer, block and next.
 Zillion3847
Msg: 11
view profile
History
It seemed so promising.
Posted: 12/7/2018 3:13:58 PM
Yes, I blocked him.
 Zillion3847
Msg: 12
view profile
History
It seemed so promising.
Posted: 12/7/2018 3:14:22 PM
I added time waster after...thanks.
 jerseynative7
Msg: 13
view profile
History
It seemed so promising.
Posted: 12/7/2018 4:29:10 PM
Was he sick or was he working? Hard to believe he was sooo busy or sooo sick that he couldnt make time to meet up in 3 months of correspondence. He prolly never had an intention of meeting and was just looking for someone to string along.
 Zillion3847
Msg: 14
view profile
History
It seemed so promising.
Posted: 12/7/2018 4:36:15 PM
I guess he couldn't get his crap straight. Damn scammer
 PennyAnte
Msg: 15
view profile
History
It seemed so promising.
Posted: 12/8/2018 1:04:10 PM
He was most likely married, bored and unhappy with his wife. He was just looking for attention. I don't know how you put up with all the calls and texting. If the phone call doesn't end with the man asking to meet you and treat you then he is just playing with you for attention and an ego boost. Don't waste your time and better yet don't let someone else waste your time. Better luck next time. Move on.
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 16
view profile
History
It seemed so promising.
Posted: 12/8/2018 3:48:57 PM
I can only guess as to why people do this but know it is common. so common that I insist on a phone call (not text) after we message a few times and expect to meet that same week. while not etched in stone, I do feel I am being played when it is drug out and lose interest rather quickly.
 ssm508
Msg: 17
view profile
History
It seemed so promising.
Posted: 12/9/2018 7:52:00 AM

IF ………..you haven't met in person by 2 weeks...…. at the very MOST, it's time to, Delete/Block/Move on!
2 weeks is a good general guideline. Sometimes it can take longer than 2 weeks because 1 person is on vacation, a business trip etc. However that person should give a general timetable for when (s)he would be available for a date/meeting.

I insist on a phone call (not text) after we message a few times and expect to meet that same week. while not etched in stone,

I don't think having a phone call necessarily means that a person is more serious. Some women have initially agreed to go out on a date during a phone call. But ended up being flakes or time wasters. I also had dates with women that were set up by text and there was little to no phone conversation prior to the first date/meeting.
 bruce1963
Msg: 18
It seemed so promising.
Posted: 12/10/2018 11:45:26 AM
Hi, I really do not believe you had done anything wrong. If you would to be in my neck of the woods, I would love to meet you. On the other hand I think you were being set up to be scammed. In my opinion any male offering to shower you with gifts without knowing you is trying to win you by bribing you. Do not be surprised if he contacts you days /weeks or months saying he has hit hard times and needs you to help him out financially before he can meet you. Cheers from Australia (one of the Good Blokes)
 Zillion3847
Msg: 19
view profile
History
It seemed so promising.
Posted: 12/11/2018 5:31:27 AM
Yes, lesson learned. I can't believe people waste other people's time. They need to get a life.
 hemingway234
Msg: 20
view profile
History
It seemed so promising.
Posted: 12/13/2018 7:44:25 AM
This guy asked why you wanted to meet so quickly? After more than a month?

If you can't meet them in a couple of weeks, they are either a scammer or have serious issues. A man who likes you wants to meet asap.
 Zillion3847
Msg: 21
view profile
History
It seemed so promising.
Posted: 12/13/2018 11:45:57 AM
Exactly. He has major issues I think. Or both.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > It seemed so promising.