Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Jesus ~ in laymans terms      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 backcreek7
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans termsPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
... Let me set the stage for a few observations about Jesus ~ coming from a person ( myself ) who does not believe in any religion, nor any type of supernatural or other worldly occurrences ( including heaven ) In addition, what lies below comes from only MY individual thoughts, and HAS NOT BEEN COPIED in any form. First of all, in my mind - there is absolute proof that Jesus did exist, both written and handed down through the ages.
... ^^^ That being said, let me deal with the man as such ( as a man ) > leaving any so called " miracles " or beliefs in the pathway to a " heaven ", for others to debate or denounce. Judging from what I know of history, Jesus most certainly existed - this is not only a fact but is supported by MANY firsthand accounts and descriptions.
... I am not here to debate, but to recognize the gifts that Jesus possessed . They follow in not any specific order, but randomly. Randomly , but yet specifically - like Jesus chose his disciples. What follows are some random traits Jesus possessed.

1) Love for all decent and hardworking people
2) Honesty - Jesus didn't need, nor desire to deal in the fog of un-truths and lies. In other words, I have NO doubt he could pass any lie detector test ever created.
3) Bravery - He ventured into danger constantly, never concerned of its repercussions .
4) Intelligence - His mind was focused on the pathway he envisioned for all, which in itself was complex and well thought out. To say he was highly intelligent, would be an understatement in my opinion.
5) Loving - He loved all peoples and all forms of animal life. He showed and spoke of this often, as he did about his father ( the ultimate God ) He claimed there is no greater love, then to die if necessary - for a friend.
6) Energetic - Always on the move, he never slowed down or let his weariness rule his life.
7) Truthful - His life was built on truth, truth of his message and truth of his teachings.
8) Daring - He never showed fear, nor let it rule his life.
9) Good Son - He spoke often of his parents, with dignity and respect.
10) A Leader - Obviously, as MANY were attracted to him & his teaching.
11) Kind & Gentle but firm when he needed to be. He understood peoples needs and desires and sought to address them. But he was no doormat, in fact many times he expressed to his followers, that their way would not be easy. He also showed all of our " human " traits, ranging from anger to frustration and pain.
12 ) A servant - He gave all of himself to his fellow human beings, including his life.
13) Perseverance - He never gave up in his quest, believing that the way to heaven was through him. Enabling us to come & exist in a place where God ( his father ) always has reigned. That life after death DID exist, that if you believed in him, your sins would be forgotton.
14 ) Forgiving - He was big enough to forgive all, of most anything - even stating to his disciples that " they know not what they do ".
15 ) Committed - To saving all, that sought the pathway to heaven.
16 ) Gentile - Children loved him & endlessly sought him out. Although he was kind on one hand, he could be VERY firm on another .
17 ) Determined - He knew when to rebuke someone, in order to make his point in an argument.
18) Patient - Although many doubted him, he kept focused on his mission. Even when surrounded by doubting disciples, non - believers and large crowds never leaving him alone, he kept his cool.
19) Self Control - Although having the same desires as we all do, he kept them in check and did what he KNEW was right.
20 ) Morality - he always took the high road, while denouncing the low .

^^^ These qualities above are just some of the ones Jesus possessed. Truly, HE is the most revered person that has ever walked this planet, besides being the most well known. Thank you Jesus !!! & May your birthday be remembered and cherished, throughout the remaining history of mankind.

( heart / Jesus / sun )
 spot4username
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/15/2018 1:17:20 AM
Did I click the wrong thing and end up on someone's social media page? Or really lame blog?
 MyTrueCompanion
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/15/2018 3:10:31 AM
How refreshing to read a positive post & for a person to admire a religious figure w/o trying to push that religion down our throats. I guess many Biblical figures & figures from other Faiths, like Buddha, etc. could be characterized w/ such positive traits....

I tell you what Backcreek...after reading your post, I'd say "JESUS FOR PRESIDENT" !!!
 OhHaiMarc
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/15/2018 6:55:36 AM
Religion is far more grey than people in ignorance think it is, just like hating cucumber without ever a bite. One might call religions a 'socially binding set of ideas and morals' as they are bedrocks for stable communities, which is making itself apparent in our lonely "developed" nations. In dismissing religion altogether, one risks creating a moral void and slipping into nihilism, just as Tolstoy mused.
 PennyAnte
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/15/2018 2:28:02 PM
He was God incarnate embodied in flesh in human form. This has always appealed to me more so than his miracles or his virgin birth or his death and resurrection.

He was human and had human emotions. He was filled with fear and doubt in the garden. He had so much fear it is written that he sweat blood. He prayed for an easier way and then finally accepted God's will. His friends fell asleep on him there and he felt loneliness. He thought he was "forsaken" on the cross. He had a dark complexion, knotted hair and it would have been shorn. Not at all like the depictions we see that were commissioned by English royalty.

He had fury in the temple when he found the peddlers and sellers there desecrating his father's house. He grew tired yet still administered to the weak and sick and downtrodden. He was subject to temptation three times from Lucifer. He was human with human emotions and feelings both good and bad. In this way I can relate to him. I can know my fears and distress and despair can be overcome.

We have so little information about him. I believe more in the early Gnostic writings and scriptures is a more true account. The Romans and Popes have discarded so much for their own agenda. Do we really know who Christ was or what his mission here was?

We know of his birth. The date not so certain. Constantine chose December 25 because it was already a Roman Soldiers holiday for Ra the sun God but the truth is that there perhaps would not have been a census taken during such a frigid season and it would have more likely been after harvest.
The concept of Mary being a virgin was not even written until after 400AD and that was when Rome was trying to conquer the Africa's and most tribes there believed in a female deity.

What I truly believe is that he gave us the gifts and fruits of the Holy Spirit. With these we can find Christ within us. We can see our human experiences through the eyes of God and be guided. We can turn over our free will to the will of God and worship him and love him as Christ did.
My faith is simple , Matthew 19:23 "With God all things are possible"
 backcreek7
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/15/2018 5:59:28 PM
^^^ Thank you for posting the above information Penny ! I think it is important for people to know that he was indeed " human ", as well as God incarnate - not an entity foreign to human beings . I fear that especially here, in the states - religious faith is fading away fast. In my area there are a huge amount of churches totally empty, seemingly too big and energy inefficient - to be places for other types of businesses to take over either. I would like to see them turned into homeless shelters but they would cost a fortune to keep open, And it surely seems like faith / religion is not being taught, nearly as much as it was in the past. I tend to think that, the progressive loss of religious teachings will have a negative effect on our family bonds, and a negative effect on our childrens well being. Same with the number of families attending church, seems there are not nearly the number there use to be.

... Just as a side note, for those who think religion is just some kind of front, for those who wish to fool others into thinking they are holier than thou - I have news for you. I often work in many churches, and every time I go into one I see good people ( volunteering ) all over the place in the process of helping others. If they are not boxing up food for those who need it, they are teaching, discussing how to overcome problems with troubled teens or doing good deeds in the neighborhood. Each and everyone of them it seems, are intelligent loving and totally devoted people. I have a great deal of respect for them, they " walk the walk ".

... One thing we should all keep in mind ~ it was never Christ nor his intentioned Christian religion that corrupted, killed , degraded and destroyed in the past. You may lay that maniacal present, neatly before the foot of mankind. It is mankind who have twisted and corrupted his message, to suit their own greedy power hungry needs. Christ is surely sad, when he looks & sees a world today, no different then the one he left. One full of hatred, war and corruption.

... Welp, anyhoo ~ thank you again Penny, for the information ( hug ) !! And thank you as well " true companion " for all your kind words, you are very sweet ! ( YES you are SWEET! Now don't mistake being super inquisitive, intelligently responsive & outspoken > for being overly direct at times chuckle out loud )

heart / sun
 mahwahgirl339114
Msg: 7
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/15/2018 6:08:52 PM
I'd keep this topic off POF forums. The crowd here is largely secular, there is plenty of religion-bashing and religious-people-bashing going on here. Why go there, here. Let's keep "His" name out of these messy ass forums.
 mahwahgirl339114
Msg: 8
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/15/2018 10:46:02 PM
This is not to say that the initial post is not an impressive and thought-provoking piece. People have been intrigued with the Lord's personality and who He was, for ages... We all know He probably did not have big piercing blue eyes and the facial expression of a hospice nurse like on Catholic prayer cards (I love them and own quite a few). Veronica's Veil is probably the Lord's truest representation.
 flowersinthelake
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/16/2018 2:58:12 AM
Nobody has yet to prove that Jesus or any other figure existed...and as described. Speaking from a layman's perspective or strictly biblical doesn't convince me.

People (including Atheists) do embody some of these traits without attributing them to some questionable higher power being. Some people have them naturally or they develop them (but it's entirely their own work and inclination that are responsible for it).

MyTrueCompanion
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/16/2018 4:12:38 AM
https://youtu.be/6bXtdr5BI74

Jesus Explained - The Man From Earth

I think almost everyone in this thread would enjoy this movie as well as the sequel :0)

Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas !!!
 2ufo
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/16/2018 7:29:50 AM
Jesus Christ...
from 'hail zeus, the anointed one'.
Zeus
from dyeus… meaning shining sky

So, we believe our gods are above us - both literally and metaphysically.

Kind of weird of us humans...
(and my beliefs are as odd and inexplicable as everyone elses').

However, since gods take on the attributes of humanity... this follows that humanity may take on the qualities of god.

So adopt the best qualities of your god to emulate.

Blessed holy days to everyone.
 CBGB77
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/16/2018 7:58:36 AM
Did POF get sold to Christian Mingle?
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/16/2018 8:04:26 AM
msg#12:
Jesus ~ in laymans terms

Talk about OFF TOPIC.

Getting pretty deep in here~
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/16/2018 8:59:59 AM

Did I click the wrong thing and end up on someone's social media page? Or really lame blog?

Word :)

Did POF get sold to Christian Mingle

Lol...yes.....so women can stop worrying now. The men know they have to buy the cow before they can drink the milk. Buy your wedding dresses ladies! :)
 ohenryx
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/16/2018 9:30:25 AM

Did POF get sold to Christian Mingle?

Lol...yes.....so women can stop worrying now. The men know they have to buy the cow before they can drink the milk. Buy your wedding dresses ladies! :)

Neah, not true. A man of above average looks and social skills can get laid just as easily on Christian Mingle as any other dating site.

I have a friend, a very good looking man in his early 40's, who is on or has been on every dating site known to mankind. He swears by Christian Mingle, talks about "just keep repeating 'Praise the Lord' while removing her clothing".
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/16/2018 9:46:05 AM
Well I was obviously joking, I know nothing about religions.
But that ^^^is brilliant.....hallelujah!
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/16/2018 6:16:07 PM
"1) Love" <----Just that and nothing more. He is love...

Only Love...

How much more are we gonna take?
How many nights do we have to lie awake?
How many tears are we gonna cry?
We can wish...until the well runs dry

But...what happens when the sky above
Runs out of every single shooting star?
And...what if every good intention's only meant to go so far?

Only love...only love can save us now.
Keep the world from burning down to the ground.

Only love...can look inside a human heart
And see us for who we are
And who we are...would be enough.

If only...there was only love

How many lessons have we really learned?
How many bridges could we cross...instead of burn?
Why do we find it hard to forgive?
We're so blinded that it's easy to forget.

Only love, only love can save us now

If only...there was only love.

So what happens when the sky above
Runs out of every single shooting star?
And...what if every good intention's only meant to go so far?

Only love...can look inside a human heart
And see us for who we are
And who we are would be enough.
If only there was only love.

***Merry Christmas
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/17/2018 10:06:31 AM
goodness, Mahwah got the boot. hopefully it was her choice. she is correct, however, the Gospel of Matthew explains Jesus of Nazareth's lineage...and it ain't from Sweden :) He descended from Moses, who probably looked more like a North African than the icon we have today.

As for Jesus, He was definitely a historical figure, if nothing else. the Muslim religion agrees He was a prophet, the Buddhists wonder if He left the cave to become the One. as for the claim Jesus loved the "decent hardworking people", He tended to put them and their government into place. He spent much time with the sinners--saved an adultress like Stormy Daniels from being stoned, washed the feet of the transgenders of His day, and of course Mary Magdeline. He had no need for those who tweeted half truths and lies on a daily basis--one can only wonder what Jesus would preach about those who follow a president who does. then again, if the Nativity scene were to occur today, obviously it would be in an ICE detention facility with an anchor baby, as Jesus son of Joseph was.

He was brave, but He had to know fear (take this cup of suffering from me) otherwise His sacrifice wouldn't have been a sacrifice, just a procedure. He was intelligent enough to lecture to the church elders as a child, but He didn't do well in choosing disciples--there was Judas the Traitor, Peter who denied him thrice, and Saul who become Paul. but likely, it was all part of His plan. He was quite energetic, as most of us are at His age. He wasn't just a leader, he was a social upheaver. He spoke out against the hypocrisy--and isn't it ironic that while we are made in the image of God, we still suffer from massive hypocrisy in our daily lives.

He was gentle, but not Gentile :) he had self control, one couldn't imagine him cheating on his wives serially.
 2ufo
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/17/2018 11:40:25 AM
Hmm, why do people always forget that 'righteous anger' bit?

I had a friend who wore the WWJD bracelet and tried to live her life according to that creed. At one point she was asking for my feedback on a problem she was having.

I told her that righteous anger had its place.
 athenashelmet
Msg: 20
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/18/2018 8:17:08 AM
Righteous anger does have its place; even Jesus got angry. What I find interesting is why non believers would wish to post about him.

I find Roman historical records interesting as well. Apostle John was boiled in oil at the coliseum with a crowd there to witness the act. That very crowd indeed witnessed the power of GOD, before John was exiled to the island of Patmos. Nero was one angry dude John was unscathed. John was the only apostle not to die a martyrs death, and lived to write the book of Revelation. This Christmas and everyday it is my choice to practice Christianity, in a world where many choose not to tolerate biblical beliefs.

Merry Christmas y'all
 Natey2
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/18/2018 9:28:03 AM

1) Love for all decent and hardworking people 
2) Honesty - Jesus didn't need, nor desire to deal in the fog of un-truths and lies. In other words, I have NO doubt he could pass any lie detector test ever created.
3) Bravery - He ventured into danger constantly, never concerned of its repercussions .
4) Intelligence - His mind was focused on the pathway he envisioned for all, which in itself was complex and well thought out. To say he was highly intelligent, would be an understatement in my opinion.
5) Loving - He loved all peoples and all forms of animal life. He showed and spoke of this often, as he did about his father ( the ultimate God ) He claimed there is no greater love, then to die if necessary - for a friend.
6) Energetic - Always on the move, he never slowed down or let his weariness rule his life.
7) Truthful - His life was built on truth, truth of his message and truth of his teachings.
8) Daring - He never showed fear, nor let it rule his life. 
9) Good Son - He spoke often of his parents, with dignity and respect.
10) A Leader - Obviously, as MANY were attracted to him & his teaching.
11) Kind & Gentle but firm when he needed to be. He understood peoples needs and desires and sought to address them. But he was no doormat, in fact many times he expressed to his followers, that their way would not be easy. He also showed all of our " human " traits, ranging from anger to frustration and pain.
12 ) A servant - He gave all of himself to his fellow human beings, including his life.
13) Perseverance - He never gave up in his quest, believing that the way to heaven was through him. Enabling us to come & exist in a place where God ( his father ) always has reigned. That life after death DID exist, that if you believed in him, your sins would be forgotton.
14 ) Forgiving - He was big enough to forgive all, of most anything - even stating to his disciples that " they know not what they do ". 
15 ) Committed - To saving all, that sought the pathway to heaven.
16 ) Gentile - Children loved him & endlessly sought him out. Although he was kind on one hand, he could be VERY firm on another .
17 ) Determined - He knew when to rebuke someone, in order to make his point in an argument.
18) Patient - Although many doubted him, he kept focused on his mission. Even when surrounded by doubting disciples, non - believers and large crowds never leaving him alone, he kept his cool.
19) Self Control - Although having the same desires as we all do, he kept them in check and did what he KNEW was right.
20 ) Morality - he always took the high road, while denouncing the low .

Insert Bible verse/quote references for each of the above, and you have a sermon right there! On your way to becoming a Christian pastor :-)

Don't let they nay sayers discourage you.
Psalm 55:22 - "Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved."
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/18/2018 10:59:03 AM
righteous anger can be a good thing. of course, everyone has their own definition of "righteous". but there used to be a popular bumpersticker, "if you aren't angry, you aren't paying attention." I'm never shy about my dislike of the latest ruling party, regardless of the labels given to me for doing so. as the old saying goes, evil only needs good men (and women) to do nothing.

the coliseum is interesting--we think such things are barbaric, but now we watch TV and faked brutality. i was just discussing with some strangers about how the old black and white TV shows had morality etc...except of course, Ralph Kramden was no hero in the Honeymooners, and there were single dads like in the rifleman and the andy grifith show. Yet, for all the buffoons in the latter, there was still a sense of decency going on. and Beaver Cleaver learned a lesson after every screwup.
 backcreek7
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/18/2018 1:34:30 PM

What I find interesting is why non - believers would wish to post about him

... Thank you for your post my friend, it is a good question you have brought up. I will premise my answer first by saying - I have a very hard time believing anything significant, that is not proven either in front of my eyes or through known sources I totally trust. The very thought of a gigantic miracle, being performed by a human being - leaves me with the thought - I would have had to see or experience it first hand. Being as this happened so long ago, during a time of upheaval and strife - personally I cannot truthfully say I am able to believe.

... ^^^ This does not however, take away from my respect nor admiration for someone as significant as Jesus. On the flip side of that, I believe in the message that was being delivered . Its intention to give people a decent and loving template on how to conduct their lives , is beyond admirable in my opinion. The ascent into a " heaven ", I find hard to reconcile , with my hard core logical approach to life itself . In fact, I have my own farfetched ideas into how and why this universe & people have been created. They in themselves, could lend credence to a man / god born to save all who believe in him. My thoughts are just as abstract ( maybe more ) then a savior to show the way.

... Although I may sound silly & bizarre here, I feel life was created as either some sort of " experiment " OR the path taken to " create " or birth so to speak, another creator. So, I realize that religion and the plan Jesus & his God have in mind for us ~ is not so far removed from my abstract way of thinking, That is about the best I can do to explain myself,
thank you for the question & everyone for their thoughts.

heart / sun
love / life
 backcreek7
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/18/2018 5:06:59 PM
... In a post earlier on, I spoke of the good I see being done in the churches I often do work in. This being said, there is no doubt that many churches, especially in times gone by " have often bent the meaning of religion / Jesus to better suit their selfish wants and needs " .....

~ A song below, which states just this ~

lyric * - " People what have you done? Locked him in his golden cage, golden cage ..
............... Made him bend to your religion, him resurrected from the grave ..
............... From the grave ..

............... He is the God of nothing, if that is all that you can see ..
............... You are the God of everything, he is inside you and me ..

............... So lean upon him gently, and don't call on him to save you ..
............... From your social graces, and the sins you used waived ..
............... You used to waived ..

............... So lean upon him gently and don't call on him to save ..
............... You from your social graces, and the sins you use waived ..
............... You used waived ..

............... The bloody church of England, in chains of history ..
............... Requests your earthly presence, at the vicarage for tea ..
............... And the graven image you know, with his plastic crucifix, he's got him fixed ..
............... Confuses me as to who and where and why ..

............... As to how he gets his kicks, he gets his kicks ..
............... Confessing to the endless sin, the endless whining sounds ..
............... You'll be praying til' next Thursday, all the Gods that you can count ..

... MY GOD by Jethro Tull
... > turn it up ^

... heart / Jesus / sun

Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/18/2018 6:23:32 PM
Quite frankly, I'm thankful for being given use of this body, while living the life I have been given.

And am able to absorb the gifts of all of the Gods, invented by people both dead and now living.

So many beliefs, religions, points of view. I honestly can say... I don't know which is false or true.

..... But, am enjoying the entire process of life, learning and staying curious about it all.

I think Jesus would want people to have fun and be happy too. If I were God I'd make that a commandment. Just a suggestion....

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Jesus ~ in laymans terms