Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Bedroom colours      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 curvylady1965
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Bedroom coloursPage 1 of 1    
After several years of figuratively not being in a good place (quite an understatement), my home reflects that reality - funny how that works. I am finally at a point where I am feeling at least a little bit of hope that maybe there is joy left to be had in life and have become interested in making a home I want to come home to - this has not been the case in years. Having said that, I don't earn a high income and need to make sure I use my decorating funds wisely.

I wish to begin in the bedroom. I saved up my money from overtime this year and bought a walnut coloured bed with headboard and bureau. I also bought a little electric fireplace for the tv. It is kind of a cheap black particle board thing but it was what I could afford and the room is often quite chilly after dark. At least it has a fairly low profile.

I would like to move on to new bedding. I saw a really nice comforter today at a popular discount store. They had a few so I don't feel overly stressed about not buying it today. The thing is, it's white. I always love white hotel bedding the few times I get to go to one. But I don't know how to warm it up, or if that is even possible. The only colours I don't care for are grey and blue. Grey is everywhere these days. I live in a winter city and the lighting is very grey most of the year. I don't need more grey in my life for that reason. No idea why I don't like blue. I like wearing it; just can't stand it in a home.

Any thoughts as to whether white bedding can be warmed up adequately? It might seem easier to just buy a comforter in another colour but I don't want to commit to only one colour and was hoping white could be warmed up with accent throws, etc. that may be changed out easily over the years. Honestly though, I have no sense of style so could use the help of opinions from those who do.
 MsMicki
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Bedroom colours
Posted: 12/23/2018 6:56:55 PM
Turquoise and small touches of Purple....
will really pop with the white....
not sure how you feel about the Bohemian look....but makes for a very cozy feel in the bedroom
Bedroom colours
Posted: 12/23/2018 7:58:44 PM
Totally understand where you’re coming from as I’m saving up to invest in my own designed “queen single” bed (wider than a king single, but narrower than a double) and have purchase quilting fabric to make a “to fit” quilt. (i’ve Gone French lavender, sage green and a nice ivory)...

I also understand the disinterest in greys & blue are not inviting in the bedroom, a sanctuary of soul.... but oranges/reds might be too vibrant in your area... especially the contrast against stark white... (and black of the fireplace cabinet) so, I’m thinking MsMicki’s Bohemian trend might be an avenue to look at.... soft pastel golds, bronzes & coppers - somehow I suspect they are your keys to warming up your bedroom... (but I’m also not a stylist at all... )
 daynadaze
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Bedroom colours
Posted: 12/23/2018 11:46:33 PM
Yellow, I love yellow and blue but since you do not like blue, yellow with white would really brighten up a room. Coral with white is also lovely. Any color will go with white, look around at things like pillows, towels, any thing that will show you lots of colors and pick what attracts you, makes you feel good inside. Using a throw at the end of your bed in a color you like can break up the stackness of the white, color on the walls, a deep color wall against your white bed covering can really pop a room. Get the spread you love you can work on the rest as you can afford it. : )
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Bedroom colours
Posted: 12/24/2018 7:45:18 AM
OP wrote:
a walnut coloured bed with headboard and bureau. I also bought a little electric fireplace for the tv. It is kind of a cheap black particle board thing but it was what I could afford and the room is often quite chilly after dark. At least it has a fairly low profile

I think the Pantone Color of the Year 2019--Living Coral---would show off the walnut headboard and bureau quite nicely. In addition the warm tone would 'warm up' the perceived temperature of the room as well. Maybe a toned down version of the Living Coral---not quite so bright?

Not that I ever paid that much attention to 'Colors of the Year' before...But I love the color coral, the light peaches, the yellows...good for brightening up the inside of your house on a dreary winter day.

And no doubt designers will pay attention to the 'Color of the Year' and you'll find accessories, pillows, comforters in that color. Clothing as well.

Be creative, have fun---make your space your own~

;-)
 2ufo
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Bedroom colours
Posted: 12/24/2018 8:01:56 AM
I'm partial to sage green myself (but I'm further south and like blues and grays).

You might simply google images 'decorating the master bedroom in xxx' using your color for the xxx simply to see what colors go together for warmth and a nice combination of color.
Living coral goes nicely with a touch of turquoise.

I also like a pale, warm gold yellow.
 Noftheborder
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Bedroom colours
Posted: 12/24/2018 8:30:13 AM
Pretty cool here in North Central Alberta. I've found my colours for warmth and coziness in the bedroom are actually autumn associated colours of sage green, rust and light gold. My headboard/cabinets and dresser are whitewashed oak and my walls are a warm light mocha. What you're working with would be in reverse with a dark headboard and white bedspread and likely light walls, so splashes of the autumn colours with throws, pillows and maybe an area rug would likely work if you like those colours.
 curvylady1965
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Bedroom colours
Posted: 12/24/2018 2:21:30 PM
Wow, you all have incredible suggestions. Thank you. I’m actually a little excited planning these changes.

MsMicki, I love bohemian style and that would be fantastic in a bedroom – a real sanctuary. Jessi, your bed is going to be amazing and the colour scheme sounds really beautiful. I think bronzes, coppers and gold accents will add a lot of warmth to my space. Dayna, the throw at the end of the bed in a rich colour sounds perfect! And you are so right about working on the rest of the room after the spread as I can afford it. Clytemnestra, wow that is a gorgeous colour. I actually have some fabric with a bit of it incorporated in it, or at least it looks very close. I have some cushions that I need to recover and I think I will use some of that fabric on some of the smaller cushions. 2ufo, you and I are on the same page with the warm gold yellow – a colour that warms me just looking at it. Noftheborder, I can, and have walked into your city from where I live so we definitely experience the same light changes in the winter months. An area rug is a great idea that I had not considered. I will keep my eyes open for decent sales and see what I can find.
 backcreek7
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Bedroom colours
Posted: 12/25/2018 7:15:20 PM

making a home, I want to come home to

^^^ What an absolutely beautiful, down to earth & positive opening post !!! Truly, you are a sweet and wonderful human being. And don't feel alone, many have been down that " not in a good place " road. Honestly, you brightened my entire Christmas Holiday here ! I love how you wish to make your home, just that. A reflection of yourself & the place where all around you, will suit your tastes and casually define > who you are. You deserve it for sure !

........ I really want to thank you, and wish to give you a HUGE hug sweetheart !!! A New Year will be here soon, and I have a very positive feeling of good things to come your way. Hold your head high , good people like you are what holds our society together.

........ THANK YOU !!!! & Have a GREAT New Year SweetHeart!!!!
........ ^^^^^ ^^^
........ heart / good people / sun
 __TEXASCHICK__
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Bedroom colours
Posted: 12/26/2018 8:58:01 PM
Check out pintrist. com
it has all sorts of to do/diy/ make over/ get ideas.
I like shabby chic look, but not slip covers on furniture. But otherwise will give a casual look and the white bedding will work w/ it.

Also look at a color wheel. the color opposite your chosen color will work. as will the color on either side of a chosen color.
 __TEXASCHICK__
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Bedroom colours
Posted: 1/13/2019 12:47:56 PM
So what colors did ya decide to use in your bedroom?
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 12
Bedroom colours
Posted: 1/19/2019 4:25:26 PM

The only colours I don't care for are grey and blue. Grey is everywhere these days. I live in a winter city and the lighting is very grey most of the year. I don't need more grey in my life for that reason.

LOL, Curvylady, This made me chuckle. I can't begin to tell you how many times in the past few years, right up to last weekend, I have ranted about …….GRAY! ……………..
Clothing designers decided little girls should wear gray, they dictated teen agers should wear gray, they determined adult woman must wear gray, …………….and other dusty/dirty/dead colors as well. Because THEY know best. HA!

Decorators/designers came up with a new neutral, yes gray. It replaced …………….beige. I could gag. Yes, I know you can "dress up" gray with a bright color...………..it's still gray. In my opinion, a gray IS depressing.

I agree with the other ladies here. You were given some great ideas...………………..Soooooo ...….Do tell! ?
 purplerider1200
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Bedroom colours
Posted: 1/20/2019 1:36:38 PM
Hmm, don't like gray???? (Heeheehee!)

Actually, a majority of Wrecked cars and trucks are beige, brown, and gray. Might as well toss in yucky maroon while you're at it. People don't see'em, and pull out in front of them. I'm on my second white truck, (No, I didn't wreck it) and I'm thinking about trying to hand paint some flames on it. Orange and yellow, so it's seen going down the road. I'm tired of people pulling out in front of me.

Gray is a miserable color. Makes other colors show up, but as a stand alone color, no. It's great if you want to hide something. (Must be why they invented hair dye)
 rednwhiterider
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Bedroom colours
Posted: 1/20/2019 3:43:36 PM
you're right right there... colors at dusk and dawn.

there are some "new" auto colors out there... but they are deadly during the right light.
same without a shiny topcoat.

white is urban camo... white truck, orange vest.... your house could be towed away
 MsMicki
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Bedroom colours
Posted: 1/20/2019 6:42:08 PM
hmmm.....I love my grey bathroom!!
But I did bling it up!!
I actually used aluminum foil with a black "wash" over it on the bottom half of the walls, and a medium toned grey on the top half. Pops of black, silver and just a slight touch of turquoise in my decorations.
I did a rhinestone border around the mirror, covered the light switches and outlets with rhinestones and made my own light shade for the ceiling light with black fringe and rhinestones!
Absolutely nothing boring or dreary about it!
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Bedroom colours