Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Eternal recurrence by Nietzsche      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 platitude545
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Eternal recurrence by Nietzsche Page 1 of 1    
Eternal return is a theory that the universe and all existence and energy has been recurring, and will continue to recur, in a self-similar form an infinite number of times across infinite time or space. Wikipedia

Would you want to live your life over and over again..with no change, but no memory of your previous lives, or would you rather not exist at all?
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Eternal recurrence by Nietzsche
Posted: 1/8/2019 4:42:52 PM
"Would you want to live your life over and over again..with no change, but no memory of your previous lives, or would you rather not exist at all?"

Not exist.
 gingerosity
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2019 12:23:44 AM
No memory of it? Then who cares. You would perceive it as a single normal life anyway. So if you would rather have a single life than not live at all, the answer must be to live the single life.

If you wanted to make it an interesting question you would include the memory, like Highlander.
 platitude545
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2019 8:46:19 AM
^^^^ I think the point is that life is very hard for many people and they would rather simply not exist rather than live that life again and go through the same hardships, especially over and over again for eternity per the theory of eternal recurrence . I suppose how you answer the question is a reflection with how happy and content you have been with the life you have lived up to this point. It is a comment on the Human struggle.
 pfif
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2019 5:49:58 PM
When I was seriously ill I brought my A-game, to fight it.
Against odds, I beat it.

I had no idea, prior, that that was who I was with this.

Pretty sure that Nietzsche idea would predate modern views on physics (and how the world actually works), so this'd be an exercise in examining a fictional scenario.

There has to be real stakes on the table, before your answers really count for anything.

I don't know how to simulate that.
 moonwalkerman
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2019 2:12:58 PM

I think the point is that life is very hard for many people and they would rather simply not exist

What are your particular hardships ? In general, I think hardships are the best things that can happen to you, because they force you to get stronger. Of course there are hardships and there are tragedies, and there is only so much a person can take. So there are limits.
That said, I would say everything alive is constantly struggling. There is not a single species that has it easy. We are lucky actually because we are at the top of the food chain...
 platitude545
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2019 3:37:34 PM
Hardships can make people stronger if they overcome them....but its not hardships as much as many people live lives of quiet desperation as the saying goes. I still wonder how many people would choose to live their lives over and over again...with no change...the same thing for eternity.

Or perhaps we all live the lives of everybody else...given enough time, we could all live some 15 billion lives or whatever it is, which would bring new meaning to the concept of treat your neighbors like you would yourself.
 rednwhiterider
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2019 4:57:07 PM
that has got to be the smartest question you have ever asked here carla.
props.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2019 4:57:46 PM
"I think the point is that life is very hard for many people and they would rather simply not exist rather than live that life again and go through the same hardships,"

I think people will answer the question based upon how they define and interpret the meaning or purpose of existence.
 rednwhiterider
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2019 8:22:34 PM
oh ya,carla....
Ritchie knew be was wrong.
figure that one ut trollottagive away that witch you seek.
ms 108...l9l

edit that is lowercase L L
with a o between them.
not 1o1 for you Seahawks fans
 platitude545
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2019 9:24:47 AM
^^^ eternal recurrence would be a bad thing for you Little Red.....at the least you would hope if you relived your life, you could do it without so much babbling. It must be difficult to live a life where nonsensical free thoughts come out of your mouth and nobody ever knows what you are talking about.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Eternal recurrence by Nietzsche