Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Flawed 'Science' For Winter-Tyres      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DDSearle
Msg: 1
Flawed 'Science' For Winter-TyresPage 1 of 1    
I like to drive through snow
And I have all-weather tyres for doing-so
But the advice that we are given may be erroneous
We are told that a narrower tyre, even on a smaller wheel, will increase the pressure that the vehicle makes upon snow: and that would give the tread more grip. Though this may be true, it neglects the mechanics of driving on ice, which is the greater hazard. Ice isn't particularly slippery, even when smooth. But applying presure to it reduces the temperature at which it melts to form a film of water, which is. And so, oughtn't we be fitting broader, bigger tyres in Winter – so as to avoid excessive pressure and to minimise the water that would form on ice? Airplanes should do so, too
 Inicia
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Flawed 'Science' For Winter-Tyres
Posted: 1/23/2019 3:40:41 AM
https://www.lesschwab.com/article/how-to-choose-snow-tires.html
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2019 7:50:53 AM

Ice isn't particularly slippery, even when smooth.
maybe that is where the flaw is? here in the states, ice is slippery. an oversite that many miss is that a wider tire does not always increase the contact area. while I tire is round, it will have a flat area where it meets the road. taking the same vehicle with properly inflated tires, a wider tire would have a shorter flat area. the narrower tire cuts a narrower path so less rolling resistance and in mud/snow will cut deeper but not completely from more load on a smaller area. the mud boggers with extremely wide tires run very low tire pressure to increase the flat area on the bottom and float on top rather than cut threw.
 backcreek7
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2019 8:53:06 AM

I like to drive through snow

^^^ suggestion ? buy a snowmobile ... col

heart / snowmobile / sun
 Inicia
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2019 6:45:02 PM
especially funny are the 4 wheel drivers that think it offers some protection on ice- now all four are out of control!!
 Mr_Jackazz_Cash
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/26/2019 4:50:08 PM
OP →

Initia,
especially funny are the 4 wheel drivers ........ on ice- now all four are out of control!!

On ice when you are out of control - called a skid - ALL wheels are out of control regardless of how many wheels have drive power going to them, two, four, one, six.......

Sheese!!!
 Mr_Jackazz_Cash
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/26/2019 5:27:06 PM
A further point to make.
The modern two wheel drive cars and trucks plus all-wheel drive vehicles and nearly all modern 4 wheel drive trucks and SUV have traction control combined with stability control. Those two combine to improve both traction and steering control/assist. The on board computers make hundreds of adjustments a second to the individual wheels applying braking power and drive power even when you do not apply the brakes. It kicks in as soon as the vehicle detects any traction or braking issues. This is true for steering skids as well as braking skids. This is most helpful on dry roads to prevent roll overs and reduce wheel lockup when panic braking. It is also extremely effective on wet roads. While not nearly as effective on ice, on an all-wheel and 4 wheel drive vehicle it is much, much, much more effective on ice than with a two wheel drive car or truck.

I’ll tell you, it is aggravating when you get behind a string of three or four cars that the first car is someone who refuses to drive over 25 in the right lane when it is in good enough shape to be safe at 45 or more but the left lane is not safe enough for 30 MPH.

All that being said, there is no excuse for those who drive at 70 MPH in the left lane when it is covered with several inches of snow and/or slush.

And I stall say the op is a total
 Inicia
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2019 1:59:29 PM
Yes and unfortunately the overconfidence imbued by the 4 wheel capabilities is those
All that being said, there is no excuse for those who drive at 70 MPH in the left lane when it is covered with several inches of snow and/or slush.
and many times it is 4 wheel drive vehicles i see in the median, and two wheel vehicles on the right of the expressway-but same tow trucks lol!! those are always equipped with 4 wheel drive..
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2019 3:37:50 PM
4 wheel drive isn't meant for freeway use, it is for traction from a dead stop or slow speeds where you could spin. zero benefit for stopping or sliding. any time I ever used 4 wheel drive, I put it back in 2 wheel before gaining speed. all wheel drive does that automatically, even if your dash light says your in 4 wheel.
 Inicia
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2019 8:44:06 PM
^I tend to agree JFZ-yet JAC seemed quite sure of the value of 4 wheel on ice- i do not drive a 4 wheel so only know from my experience as a passenger and the evidence on the roads..
 platitude545
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2019 9:26:59 AM
I totally disagree John....Four wheel drive can be essential in driving on highways either through the mountains or through snow and even rain. Obviously four wheel drive will not assist in stopping a vehicle, but it greatly helps in acceleration, traction and climbing steep but slippery roads. Try for example driving on Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado in the dead of winter in a car without four wheel drive...but before you do so, make sure that your relatives know where you are going so that if you slide off the road, they can try to find your vehicle. In fact, many of these mountain passes mandate only four wheel drive allowed.
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2019 11:55:48 AM
maybe a better way to say it is 4wd is of less benefit as speed increases and at freeway speeds, dangers of braking and sliding off the road far out weight any gains.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Flawed 'Science' For Winter-Tyres