Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Jussie Smollett reports MAGA attack - What happened?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 calliopedreams
Msg: 1
Jussie Smollett reports MAGA attack - What happened?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Jussie Smollett, a black, gay actor portraying a black, gay character on the TV show Empire, was reportedly attacked in Chicago during the early morning hours on Tuesday, 29 Jan 2019. The crime was self-reported and Jussie drove himself to the hospital where he had some facial injuries and a broken rib. He reported being targeted by two white men in ski masks, who beat him, yelled racial/homophobic slurs, poured an unidentified liquid over him (social media is running with bleach), then put a rope noose around his neck and warned him “This is MAGA country," before fleeing the scene. Recently, Jussie also received a "warning letter" composed of cut-out letters from magazines, the message read: "You will die black f--," again using a homophobic slur. It was sent to the Fox Studios which produces Empire. It contained a drawing which depicted a stick figure with a likely noose around his neck standing next to a tree.

There is a problem with this story, since the area where the purported attack occured is heavily populated by security cameras , and after a team of at least a dozen police already reviewed hundreds of hours of tape, the only images of Jussie show him alone in the vicinity of the Subway sandwich shop, where he made a purchase. The police are investigating this as a possible Hate Crime (Racist/ Homophobic) and are expanding their video search to include the waterfront, in hopes they can find an image of the attackers to use in their identification.

The second problem is that the police had to re-interview Jussie, because he released important details to the media which he did not seem to recall during his initial review with law enforcement, in particular, the allegation that the alleged attackers shouted, “This is MAGA country.” The police had to conduct a supplemental interview, as they heard reports through the media that contained info Jussie failed to provide during his initial interview.

https://www.cnn.com/entertainment/live-news/jussie-smollett-attack/index.html

Obviously, Jussie suffered injuries, but has he told police the entire story? Was this a truthful recounting of his "beating"?

I am interested in what people think about those who file false reports of Hate Crimes. They often see it as their civic duty to wake people up to the reality of racism and other forms of discrimination in our country. Don't we have enough incidents without wasting police resources on false reports? What about the horrendous attack Matthew Shepard in 1998?

WHY do people waste police resources and invent false reports of Hate Crimes?
I think false hate crimes diminish real ones, waste police resources and cause more divisiveness.

Here is a link to some false reports of Hate Crimes:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/hate-crimes-and-hoaxes-10-campus-stories-debunked-in-2017

I hope this discussion can be thoughtful, but I am sure that it will quickly devolve to name-calling, due to the topic. I am sure I will be called names for even bringing up the possibility that this attack did not happen as recounted. Let's see what happens ...
 platitude545
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Jussie Smollett reports MAGA attack - What happened?
Posted: 1/30/2019 8:10:06 AM
^^^^^^ does it really matter? Hate crimes are real and they occur more frequently as a direct result of the Trump presidency. Whether this actor (I know nothing about him, I have never watched any of his work) fabricated the attack is irrelevant. If he made it up...he has some psychological issues. If it was a real assault..then he is merely another victim. So I guess I don't understand the purpose of your post or what you are asking us to conclude.
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2019 9:28:00 AM
No publicity is bad publicity?
 Noftheborder
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2019 12:47:08 PM

The police are investigating this as a possible Hate Crime (Racist/ Homophobic) and are expanding their video search to include the waterfront, in hopes they can find an image of the attackers to use in their identification.

Given the investigation is still ongoing, why the rush to lean towards a possible false report? As much as I despise Trump and all the slime he's surrounded himself with who have actually been indicted and/or jailed, I couldn't possibly falsely accuse Trump himself of any crime before a thorough investigation is completed by the professionals assigned such tasks. You think the report smells false and many "feel" Trump is guilty of something major. In both cases, let the professionals complete their thorough investigations. Your "feelings" may be correct about the victim in the story but they just as easily may be incorrect. Don't be a jury member if you can't base decisions on complete facts, or as complete as they can be, instead of "feelings" - no matter if you like or dislike whoever it is you are presented with.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2019 6:07:03 PM
Photos just released!

https://abc7chicago.com/photos-show-potential-persons-of-interest-in-empire-actor-attack-police-say/5113489/

Looks like "MAGA Country" to me! Body language says it all!

Guilty! Just sick!
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2019 1:07:16 PM

Looks like "MAGA Country" to me! Body language says it all!

Body language?!? You sure you posted the right link?
The only parts of your video showing posture is the reporters in the newsroom and a couple seconds of the mayor behind a podium. The rest is stock footage.

The insanity of Fox News (and several other media outlets) is the angle that the exception proves the rule, no matter what.
Doesn't matter what XX politician has done in a lifetime of service - just the last vote they cast, or a quote taken out of context from 20 years ago.
Doesn't matter if the city in question has hundreds upon hundreds of assaults and murders - one fake report can allude that they ALL hold no value?!?
Doesn't matter if a wall will cost billions and be about as effective as a sprinkler system - if it keeps ONE bad egg out - it's doing the "job".
That isn't news. It's spin. Propaganda to fit the reporter's angle, not the reporter fitting the circumstances.

ALL reported crimes should be investigated thoroughly and without bias. Police are obliged to do that, no matter what. Due process IS the law. Proof is found in evidence, not the accusation.
Reporting is it not. If it bleeds, it leads. There are NO standards anymore. Reporters can spin stories totally contradictory to each other mere days apart and nobody is held for the reckoning. "News" is not about facts - it's about sucking people in for immediate ratings and eyeballs. Every media outlet out there is guilty of sensationalizing crap for their audience.

Unfortunately, far too many people have chosen to accept one-source propaganda as truth, not the true history of the numbers or any other angle that may exist. Denial is not just a river in Egypt. Fakes exist, no doubt - but not until proven fake.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2019 3:26:49 PM
"Body language?!? You sure you posted the right link?
The only parts of your video showing posture is the reporters in the newsroom and a couple seconds of the mayor behind a podium. The rest is stock footage."

Do you know that a photo and a video are not the same thing?
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2019 4:12:00 PM

Do you know that a photo and a video are not the same thing?

What photo are you talking about? The security camera pic of two people on a dark street?
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2019 4:20:16 PM
^Yup. That would be the photo the police released.

Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2019 5:04:09 PM
I'm just baffled why you believe a surveillance still from the middle of the night from practically anywhere on the planet should give any notion of body language. You expect they should be wearing red baseball caps if they are guilty? It's freakin' sub-zero temps in the middle of a dark Chicago night. Any normal human being would be hunched over their coats and wearing all kinds of layers trying to stay warm. The pictures are two people that match the accused's general description and were caught on tape in the near vicinity and time frame. THAT is why they are considered people of 'Interest'. Persons of Interest are NOT GUILTY until evidence surfaces to match the crime. That's true in all 50 states.

If you believe that "Person of Interest' means they are guilty first, it's probably because you've bought into someone's propaganda and fear mongering. The actor could have claimed they spoke German and Goose-stepped away from the incident - it still wouldn't change the fact the cops want to talk to them.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2019 5:13:20 PM
^Does it change anything if I think they were smirking, too?

N2U18
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2019 7:23:45 PM
This is a situation that us Texans like to call: “Lib’s Gone Wild……………….Again” (LGW……………A)

I always like to wait for facts, but Dem’s have already run with the story.

A few weeks ago, there was this incident with 7-year-old Jasmine Barnes in Houston, TX where MSM went wild with a racism narrative and this little girl’s death. I really didn’t follow the story but couldn’t avoid the headlines because it was here in Texas. The probability of the suspect being White is so slim that its ridiculous just from the start. Politicians, Hollywood Celebrities, and the Usual Race Hustler’s got involved to exploit the situation. They made some Bank with the GoFundMe account! It ended up being some black gang members who were friends on FB with one of the women or girls involved instead of the White Racist Male with a truck.

MSM has a Racism Narrative that is profitable, and they jump from one fake incident to another for ratings. This is Corporate Media lacking any ethics and morality. An “F” for Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability.

The impact on our society I find most concerning. It is also profitable for the families of Black victims if the suspect, no matter how absurd, is White. This Pays and is a Zero-sum game!

I will wait for the facts but skeptical because of the MSM and a few things that seem odd.

Chicago is MAGA Country? That just sounds Dopey! I believe Chicago is Obama Country, right?

Crime increases when its Hot and decreases when its Cold. Who is out at 2AM, with empty streets, looking to perpetrate a hate crime, with bleach and rope for a noose, during record breaking freezing temperatures, in downtown Chicago?
 platitude545
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2019 5:05:36 AM
It was a conservative who started this thread, and you N2 are the racist pushing the story more. Why do you racists obfuscate who you are? Why blame the MSM? You would have more integrity if you simply admitted what you were and explained why you felt the way you do rather than all of these dances you all do. In this case...it is a fake black victim supported by fake news...because you think so or say so. Sure thing.
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2019 10:45:43 AM

I will wait for the facts but skeptical because of the MSM and a few things that seem odd.
it is easy to take this incident and form an opinion/conclusion in either direction. is he a victim or was it staged? nobody here knows that! I too am skeptical but not so much because of this particular incident but because the media puts their spin on most everything. all too often, I read headlines screaming of racial injustice only to read the article and find nothing to do with racism. cry wolf when there isn't one and eventually crying wolf has no meaning anymore. was it staged or was he a victim? I think the bigger injustice here is that we have to ask such a question!
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2019 10:56:17 AM
For those who do not use the Urban Dictionary as their bible:
"MSM" is short for "Main-Stream-Media"

I say that because Googling 'MSM' (which is what most of the population would do) brings up about fifteen links ahead of the Urban Dictionary - most are about drug compounds and such. It should give the rest of you an idea how far off the beaten path you are from the rest of humanity.
 platitude545
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2019 3:06:37 AM
"""I read headlines screaming of racial injustice only to read the article and find nothing to do with racism.""

Oh come on, this was a racist thread from the start...as if it was all a faked assault. Do fake assaults happen? Sure. Is this a faked claim? Could be, but then....to assume that it may be from the start is driven by racism to begin with...and reporters are just like the rest of the population and sometimes allow their racism to get the best of themselves.
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2019 3:44:34 PM
no, it was thread questioning what happened. it is so common to put a racist spin on anything that I have to question any. like the boy that cried wolf, when it really is racism, it is questioned.
 platitude545
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2019 4:43:08 AM
^^^^^ yes it was a thread questioning what happened...but why the questioning to begin with? I stand by my opinion there is a racist theme in the questioning as the op recognized by his anticipation of responses.

The fundamental premise of the cult is white is good, brown ... black not good. We all know this even if we won't all admit this.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2019 6:27:54 AM
Main stream media is NOT a cult, despite the off-brand media outlets preaching it constantly and demanding a cult-like allegiance of their own. Crimes are reported using terms like 'alleged' and 'person of interest' because they are internationally recognized terms and standards of practice defining a specific type of circumstances. THAT is news.

Media outlets that add their own adjectives and descriptions with words like "most likely" and specific allegations such as political affiliation that cannot be proven by costume or posture or anything real - are adding spin.

Pouring bleach (a whitening cleaner) on a black man sure as hell sounds racist - it would be hard not to believe it was. That is why legit media outlets are reporting the police are 'handling' it as a hate crime - not because it was, but because it appears to be. Media outlets who throw 'hate crime' in the headline without a conditional word like 'possible' or 'investigated as' are spinning the story a certain way.
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2019 10:11:03 AM
"why do people waste resources and invent false reports of crimes?"

>>>ida know, why does Faux News every December talk about a war on Christmas that doesn't exist? Why do conservatives worry about what Starbucks scribbles on a cup? why does the GOP president attack the free press as fake and stirs up the crowd against them? maybe we can figure that out. meanwhile, africa americans watched a tape of the Rodney King beating get little more than a yawn, and more videos followed, and when they decided a bended knee was a way to get attention to race issues, white america attacked the messanger rather than dealt with the message.

so, hmm, why would someone invent a hate crime? hey, maybe the alleged assaulters were going to do some laundry and that's why they carried bleach with them. why else would anyone?
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2019 4:19:55 PM
Why the heck isn't anyone asking "Gay Tupac" what kind of Subway sandwhich he was carrying?

I'm thinking it must have been a footlong club! Hahahahahaha!
 rednwhiterider
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2019 5:08:53 PM
lol ^^^
but on a more serious note....
subway is going to have to stop using white bread
because, like yanno... it's a racist symbol.
obviously.

but on topic:
maybe the Scratch on his cheek was from the bleach being frozen.
at -20f liquids freeze fast (even in an inside pocket).
ten minutes and you couldn't pour a can of beer out
because well ice.

there is a good vid on youtubes lasts about 7 minutes.
It's the bruh one... the amazing lucas... I think.

possible? yes of course.
probable? not so much...

maybe the police will get to the bottom of it.
or maybe it won't get much coverage if it turns out to be a hoax,
like so many other "not on the news' agenda"

off topic: is it;
auto correct changed " news' "
removing the apostrophe.

but I'm not sure plural possessive is incorrect.
it used to be...

maybe "language" is evolving to the point of -blue is the new butterscotch.
(two random adjectives chosen to offend only smurfs and Werther's originals...)
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2019 6:42:27 PM
"maybe the Scratch on his cheek was from the bleach being frozen.
at -20f liquids freeze fast (even in an inside pocket).
ten minutes and you couldn't pour a can of beer out
because well ice."

^Fact.

It is truly amazing that people actually believed and still believe "Gay Tupac's" false claim! Science and common sense disprove his false allegations.

America is seeing the real racists and bigots! Lol
 rednwhiterider
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2019 7:34:08 PM
have you ever spit on a loved one?
proper queens denotes spay as the correct usalige.
verba'schgg and all that

natural lubrication is key in a sane relationship.
you know you're being recorded right now.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2019 6:17:49 PM
Question:

If the police find Jussie made a false hate crime report....should he be charged with a hate crime?

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Jussie Smollett reports MAGA attack - What happened?