Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > I'm Getting Hammered by Spambots      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 hemingway234
Msg: 1
I'm Getting Hammered by SpambotsPage 1 of 1    
I'm getting hammered by spambots

The last couple of months I'm getting hammered by spambots - sending messages, favoriting me, viewing my profile. It's taking up too much of my time.

I'm going to try hiding my pics but if that does not work, I may have to leave the site.......and perhaps leave online dating altogether.

Maybe I'll have to go down to the beach and pick up a younger woman!
 ontheotherhand
Msg: 2
view profile
History
I'm Getting Hammered by Spambots
Posted: 2/10/2019 7:49:56 AM
Silly Hemingway. Just hide your profile.
 aroundthewaygirl
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2019 7:59:34 AM
Perhaps it's because your comments are rude or simply stupid and posters have been calling you out on your bullshit.
 hemingway234
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/10/2019 8:03:33 AM
I can't hide my profile and I can't send pics. I guess you have to be a paying member to do that?

Hiding my pics seems to have stopped the spambots. But it also kills it for a social site / dating site.

And this was my last dating site, my favorite site.

The day online dating died.
 cooldog65
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2019 8:26:57 AM
Would you like some cheese with your whine?

I just turned off all of my mail notifications. I couldn't care less about the bots.
 hemingway234
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/10/2019 9:10:18 AM
I'd like to say thank you to all the friends I've met here over the years, I wish you all well. You can always reach me through my site DisorderlyLove.com
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2019 9:26:15 AM
^^^
I'd like to say thank you to all the friends I've met here over the years, I wish you all well

Awwww
hemingway234 is gone~
;-(

I enjoyed your posts MrH!

Only the Good Die Young<<<
(Where's the song lyrics when I want them???)
 SS4544Spd
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2019 5:36:08 PM
Hemingway writes:
I'm going to try hiding my pics but if that does not work, I may have to leave the site.......and perhaps leave online dating altogether.
C’mon! Dating is like that endless search for a needle in a haystack. The good news is you only need one good one.

Aroundthewaygirl writes:
Perhaps it's because your comments are rude or simply stupid and posters have been calling you out on your bullshit.
Huh? I can’t recall him ever posting anything rude or stupid. A bit sappy, maybe…but not rude or stupid.

Hemingway:
The day online dating died.
I envision Don McLean, strumming a guitar, when I sadly read this.

Cooldog:
I couldn't care less about the bots.
At least they keep the mailbox door from rusting shut, and provides a good test to see if the “New Mail” pixels still work.
 backcreek7
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2019 9:33:00 AM

where are the song lyrics when I want them ???

... & @ your command, princess Cly ( heart kiss / sun kiss ) * rest in pof peace hemingway, I always appreciated your comments ...

lyrics * - " Come out Virginia, don't let me wait, Catholic girls start much too late ..
................. But sooner or later it comes down to fate, I might as well be the one ..
................. Well they showed you a statue, and told you to pray ..
................. They built you a temple and locked you away ..
................. But they never told you the price you would pay, for things that you might have done ..
................. Only the good die young, only the good die young, only the good die young ..

................. You may have heard I run with a dangerous crowd, we ain't to pretty, we ain't to proud ..
................. We might be laughing a bit too loud, but that would never hurt no-one ..
................. Only the good die young ..

................. Come on now Clytemnestra, show me a sign, send up a signal - I'll throw you a line ..
................. The stain glass curtain your hiding behind, never lets in the sun ..
................. And only the good die young ..

................. You got a nice white dress and a party on your confirmation ..
................. You.ve got a brand new soul and a cross of gold, but Virginia they didn't give you quite enough information ..
................. You never counted on me, when you got your rosary ..

................. They say there's a heaven for those who await, some say it's better but I say it ain't ..
................. I'd rather laugh with the punks, then cry with the saints, smokers have much more fun ..
................. And only the good die young, and only the good die young, and only the good die young .. "

... ONLY THE GOOD DIE YOUNG by Billy Joel ... ( turn it up ^
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2019 10:58:50 AM
^^^Hahahahaha

Thanks Mister BackCreek

;-)
 HawkingJr
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2019 12:08:56 PM
"The last couple of months I'm getting hammered by spambots - sending messages, favoriting me, viewing my profile. It's taking up too much of my time."

I'm not leaving over this, but this has also been my recent experience. I've been on here for 12 years and almost never experienced a scam profile prior to last year. The past few months, I've received more first contact emails than all previous years combined: every single one of them beautiful women (sometimes fully clothed, sometimes not) with a single picture, an age that usually doesn't match their appearance, a single line profile description that is as generic as it gets and the generic "Hey there" message women can use that men can't. Most of the onslaught happens when I first log in during the mornings. And a couple hours later, all the views, messages and profiles have disappeared. I suspect with POF's declining popularity, the site's monitors (the dating site -- not the forums, which haven't had real monitors in years) have been reduced by Match Corp and the policing has declined, plus if those people are based in Vancouver as they used to be, it makes sense that it would be least-policed overnight and in the mornings for Eastern Standard Time users, because the majority of the monitors probably don't come to work until 10 or 11A our time.

I remember in the distant past when guys would complain about scams while I never got any such emails, and I'd be like, am I really so undesirable that even scams and spam don't think I'm worth contacting? Which seemed counterintuitive, as it's the most undesirable that are the most desperate. But we're not stupid -- you really think we're going to believe a topless model half our age wants to start a relationship with us? But they were getting pretty smart on Tinder and I almost got fooled by a couple of those -- they built full profiles with 5-6 pictures of the same cute but not supermodelesque girl, dressed completely normally with completely normal description, and the first message I got from such matches was just a pretty standard "Hey, thanks for matching! How's it going?" But after I enthusiastically responded, the next message seemed equally stiff and generic and not exactly responding to what I said... and then the next message even less so. At that point, I knew I was dealing with a bot, but decided to keep going to see what the payoff was. And it was, after 5 or 6 messages: "Hey, I don't feel comfortable talking on this weird app. Why don't you contact me at SCAM USER NAME at SCAM SITE?" Good job, fellas -- you almost had me! If only you had used a real person to respond to me instead of a bot (later I got other matches that sent me the exact same responses I'd gotten from the first one no matter what response I sent, so I knew for sure it was a bot, and I started messing with them, sending them absurd details about my life and fourth wall comments).
 backcreek7
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2019 8:28:04 PM

Thanks Mister BackCreek : - )

... dedicated a song to you Clytemnestra laugh my non' existent lil' tail off ...

~ playlist ~
msg 119

heart / sun
 am70sguy
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2019 1:20:55 AM
Perhaps the lack of bot policing is part of the plan to get people give up to go to a pay, like Match ?
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2019 9:52:38 AM
Hawking JR.
You make some very insightful comments on many threads when I look at the length of your posts and decide to give it a shot anyway....but I may not be the only one who skips over because reading your posts feels a lot like homework? No offence intended please, but perhaps try to shorten up your responses? I may get some haters for this.....Sorry.
 aroundthewaygirl
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2019 12:57:29 PM
SS45-Hemingway recently told a woman who wrote about a date doing coke, to go to church and lay off the tattoos in order to attract better men. He also called a woman a hoe because she was wearing a bathing suit in a picture. He also said he doesn't date women with accents because he doesn't like them (fine, his right) but got in a tiff when I said that some women don't date men who are bald (myself included). That's my opinion of rude and stupid, especially from a 50 year old man who claims to be open-minded, Lutheran, and a writer.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > I'm Getting Hammered by Spambots