Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Valentines day and what it means to us 'life experienced' mature folks      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 zonavar68
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Valentines day and what it means to us 'life experienced' mature folksPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Does Valentines Day have any meaning to you? I find it abhorantly sickly. But others may like it.

Just putting it out there.... I've never got into the Valentines thing maybe because I'm not the sort of person who finds dating, romance, etc. 'natural'.
 daynadaze
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Valentines day and what it means to us 'life experienced' mature folks
Posted: 2/11/2019 9:42:52 PM
I like Valentime's Day, it's a special day to stop and show affection to your loved ones. I do not know why people drag fun days into the mud, lighten up, have fun.
Posted: 2/11/2019 11:43:15 PM
Half priced chocolates on the 15th is all I care about and ever cared about.

I never got into Valentines day as anything but silly at any age.How age has anything to do with celebrating or not celebrating something is not how my mind works.
 am70sguy
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2019 1:09:04 AM
It's fun if you have a down-to-earth gal. Not so fun if they are expecting everything to be over-the-top. And if there is a nobody, just another day.
 flowersinthelake
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2019 4:32:48 AM
It's a day I get to spend with the people I love. (I do this every day, but it's just another holiday excuse to prepare a feast and celebrate.) I love it. I enjoy it.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/12/2019 5:14:54 AM
I LOVE it! My favorite color is everywhere! YAY!
 cooldog65
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2019 5:33:35 AM
So close to my birthday, it gets lumped together with it.
Posted: 2/12/2019 6:15:38 AM
Chocolate, chocolate everywhere. My dying wish, a vat of chocolate to drown in.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2019 6:44:17 AM
I still love making valentines. My granddaughter and I made some this weekend to give away. We're making heart shaped sugar cookies with sprinkles today. I just think it's another day to make your friends and loved ones smile.

I've never really celebrated with dinner or flowers or the like and I've never liked chocolate. I think they should come out with heart shaped doritos though.
 ssm508
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2019 1:50:56 PM
Whenever I was in a relationship, I never did anything fancy or special on Valentine's Day. I might give a woman small and inexpensive gifts. I usually don't go out for a dinner at a nice restaurant because those places can be very crowded on V-Day.
 am70sguy
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2019 1:13:32 AM
If you have a gal that's thrilled with chocolates and flowers and perhaps dinner, you have a winner. Wish I would have thought about cookies for the boys to give out on that day. I'll have to remember that for next year.
 feirene
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2019 12:32:11 PM
I'm rubbish at being romantic but i love giving out a card and writing something meaningful in it so the person can keep it if they want to, i like getting a card as well.
This year i signed up the #GreatBritishValentine and sent a stranger a card and got one back, just with a nice message in.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/13/2019 2:49:06 PM
New man in my life, has invited me to dinner on Valentines Day. I stopped by a car parts store and the drug store on my way home from work. Bought a present for him. A device to attach to his rear view mirror, to hold his cell phone, for driving directions and a simple small card, which reads, "Happy Valentines Day". Nothing fancy, no big deal, he'll love it!
 five-marie
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2019 4:12:51 PM
Disliked it ever since I was a young child. Remember making a Valentine box to hold all our Valentines in school. Also remember one poor kid who got one, from me. My mother knew enough to make sure I gave one to everyone, apparently the only one. The teacher told everyone after that they should give everyone one like I did. Probably embarrassed him more. I remember feeling so badly for him and his mother knowing how she would feel when she looked into his Valentine box and saw one.
Older, newly divorced, seeing all the men come into work to buy chocolates and flowers just made me feel more alone.
Some holidays, most holidays are hard on those alone. Not saying anyone shouldn't celebrate whatever they want, I've celebrated Valentine's days, mostly low key, small gift, maybe dinner. Always seemed forced to me.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2019 8:10:32 PM
It's just a day set aside to give you an opportunity to tell someone special how much they mean to you.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2019 8:14:51 PM

I've never got into the Valentines thing maybe because I'm not the sort of person who finds dating, romance, etc. 'natural'.

If that is so, how much of your profile is actually true?
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2019 9:17:03 AM
I don't know about the rest of the mature folks, but as one watching his sugar intake...and realizing how many holidays involve feasting on treats we elders should avoid--my grumpyoldman gene gets triggered and I ruminate on how the holidays are for the younger generation. I've had only once in life when I had a relationship for V-day, and still not sure if that's a blessing or a regret. seriously. none of us need a special day, by now we've either figured out how to communicate to our loved ones...or we married them and they have to put up with our cloddishness. on the other hand, I believe we can't avoid getting old, but we can avoid acting it, and doing things that involve passion and energy and life are a balm to our daily aches and pains and regrets of things we never did. so, if I had someone to recognize, then i'd do it simply.
 spot4username
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2019 12:56:29 PM
Yeah, I'm with
peppermint_petunias

Half priced chocolates on the 15th is all I care about and ever cared about.

November 1st and February 15th are two of my most favorite days. Today at work we were scoping out the high-end chocolates and crossing our fingers that there would still be some tomorrow. Since I am the first person in the store in the mornings for the front end I will get dibs!!
 whiterose0
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/14/2019 2:01:33 PM

Does Valentines Day have any meaning to you? I find it abhorantly sickly. But others may like it.

Yes, I get to wear red.

And I'll wear green on St. Patrick's Day.
 curvylady1965
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2019 5:30:55 PM
Kind of mixed feelings toward it. I remember those valentine boxes we made in elementary school so classmates could deliver valentines to you. I always felt bad for the kids that didn't get many. Today, we have this cookie gram thing in the workplace that reminds me of that time except the cookies that one gets are on display for everyone to see.

I am committed to remaining single (long, complicated, mostly boring explanation as to why), but I have to admit that I got a little catch in my throat when someone on my team wished me a happy Valentine's day just because at certain level I still have an awareness that will never again come from a romantic partner. That's still mildly sad to me - not enough to change my thinking on ever going down that road again mind you.

In terms of the chocolate sales, I always look forward to them so I can stock up for my team (I've never been a fan of it). Now if they had a sale on chips, I'd buy ALL the chips and merrily eat my way into oblivion. Just kidding... getting older means I have to watch my salt intake :-(.
 CBGB77
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2019 7:35:51 AM
Yesterday was my first really romantic Valentines Day in many year. I took my girlfriend to an Indian Restaurant,they had roses on the table and "Happy Valentines Day!" balloons,it was very sweet. She gave me this beautiful card which has a starry night embroidered on blue velvet sky.

http://bestnetworx.com/uploader/files/208/003-001.JPG

My cats gave me this card

http://bestnetworx.com/uploader/files/208/51895196_2277299425835581_1911234646851452928_n.jpg
 MyTrueCompanion
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2019 8:50:13 AM
^^She's a keeper, glad ur still 2gether!
 cooldog65
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2019 9:00:43 AM
Everything's overpriced for Valentine's Day. A day later and it all comes down to a more reasonable price. Sounds great to me!
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2019 9:02:39 AM
My financial advisor sends his clients (me included!) a lovely flowering plant for VD.
After a couple of years of me thanking him for being so thoughtful, he confessed that his assistant, 'Jane' came up with the idea. (Genius idea, Jane!)
So now I thank both him and 'Jane'---
Nice to get a living splash of color delivered to my door on a cold wintery day~
 MyTrueCompanion
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2019 9:19:01 AM

I'll wear green on St. Patrick's Day

Some ppl wear "green" daily, it seems ;0P
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Valentines day and what it means to us 'life experienced' mature folks