Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > How cool is the human body      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 basilisk123
Msg: 1
view profile
History
How cool is the human bodyPage 1 of 1    
I was listening to Radiolab (a great investigative podcast) in my truck.

Todays episode was a rerun of one of their gonads episode

It is so interesting, this episode that shows how research in genetics is rewriting our knowledge of what it means to be male and female.

This one episode shows how the line between male and female is thinner than we normally think. My mind was blown!
https://www.wnycstudios.org/shows/radiolab/projects/radiolab-presents-gonads

The episode is "Gonads: X & Y"

I am amazed by the human body and how it is formed. It is so cool!
 Inicia
Msg: 2
view profile
History
How cool is the human body
Posted: 2/18/2019 6:29:58 AM
this was an interesting podcast, it surprises me how often genetic expression and the possibilities are referred as "fate", whereas the genetic non expressed or unused paths are devalued by the science community specifically correlated with the non expression and theorizing offers no explanation as to the genetic purpose.
 basilisk123
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2019 7:21:36 AM
From what I gather of the podcast. The gene that keeps a person a sex was made as a genetic panic switch for our fishy ancestors maybe. It allows a Paula to become a Paul as the environment requires. It is crazy that it can still be expressed in humans! It makes sense if you think about it though.

If we correlate this piece of info with the phenomena of an increased chance of a homosexual child being born to a family whose children are all of the same sex, it makes sense. It fills a hole in my understanding of genetics.

It is just my table napkin theory, and has not been proven as far as I know, but maybe that increased chance is the result of this gene doing something sometime in the development of a fetus.

Like maybe the mother's genes sees that she has an all girl environment but the baby's sex is already decided by the non-expression of the SRY gene, so this genetic leftover gene is left trying to allow a woman to turn into a man in some way so the home environment can have both males and females. It can't however accomplish it, because human internal plumbing will not allow a radical sex change, so what it does is increase the likelihood of same-sex sexual attraction later in life with varied success.

Again, it is just a table napkin theory, and most likely wildly off base, but it is interesting to think about.
 Inicia
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2019 4:09:47 PM
I see why this comes to mind-however, gender orientation as of yet is not related to sexual(intimate/attraction) orientation-for me it more closely associated with transgender normatives/as well as possible utilization in gender reassignment..
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2019 5:03:04 PM
Snakes and snails and puppy dogs tails.
Sugar and spice and everything nice.
The meaning of male and female, is what it means to be a human being.
Gender is also what I experience daily, and whatever I happen to be feeling.
We are what we are.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > How cool is the human body