Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Sock Puppet Culture?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
After several years away from the forums, I started posting again in the last couple of weeks. It wasn't a week before the word "sock puppet" was applied to me, seemingly only because I agreed with posters who are not well liked in the forums by 'some or one'. Just recently, a poster I quite enjoyed disappeared with no notice who it seemed was on in particular that 'some or one' did not like and actually jibed at her incessantly. Strangely enough, at least three other posters who I've haven't seen before have popped up suddenly posting comments to existing threads. Can anyone tell me more about this mysterious "sock puppet" culture here on POF? It is ruining the forums and considering that I seem to have been labelled as one, is suggesting to me that as much as I enjoy the interchange of differing ideas and opinions, that perhaps this is not the place for me.
 platitude545
Msg: 2
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 2/22/2019 11:04:32 AM
I don't know of you are the infamous Shirley from years ago, but that Shirley had by all objective standards, highly offensive opinions she shared with others here. That shirley was run off for good grounds...so some may believe you are her.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 2/22/2019 11:15:27 AM
I wasn't run off, just met someone, lost interest, hid my profile and forgot the password. Just recently I updated my photos and redid my profile. I do recall that some of my posts seemed to upset a few and I will admit I enjoyed the debates. Could be me. So what? Same user name. I'm not trying to be anything other than who I am. Wow though. I was "infamous"? How does that however answer the original question?
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 4
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 2/22/2019 11:50:08 AM
no different than OldManHome coming back under another name. that is not the same as having multiple profiles and ganging up on someone. the most recent sock was quite obvious but what some missed was me calling out another sock for trying to shut down a thread. a few posts and I dropped it only to have a brand new sock create a new fight, then her current profile jumps in forgetting which sock said what.
 platitude545
Msg: 5
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 2/22/2019 11:53:33 AM
Well...if you are that Shirley, and people recognize your photo...I suppose you are going to take some heat based on your reputation. This forum has often been very unforgiving...people who were not liked by the "board leaders" were targeted over and over again. In my case, I was terminated by a posse of women vigilantes because I was having a good time taking on the feminist movement...I didn't realize that was a big no-no and somehow made me a dangerous individual. I wasn't hurting anybody of course...but the women targeted me anyway. I came back and was targeted again....but I am pretty stubborn...so I eventually had my revenge...all of those women are gone now...a few involuntarily thanks to me.... The ONLY woman or person on the board who stood up for me was KJ521....and I remember Shirley and KJ got into it on these boards...so if you were her...maybe you recall KJ.?

Anyway......off topics may be more forgiving than the relationship boards...but many have been terminated from this area of the board also...me more than anybody.....

I recall some of the topics of which that Shirley was terminated...unless she left voluntarily...they were pretty offensive opinions...basically having to do with infanticide. So anyway...that's the best I can do for you. Good luck in hanging around.
 platitude545
Msg: 6
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 2/22/2019 11:57:14 AM
JohnfromZon..... didn't you say you were going to ignore me? can't help yourself can you? Anyway, your post is for the most part Gobbledygook...I have no idea what you are accusing me of having done...all I know about you is you do not like to have your opinions challenged and so retaliate like a little girl. Keep on keeping on.
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 7
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 2/22/2019 12:22:47 PM

JohnfromZon..... didn't you say you were going to ignore me? can't help yourself can you? Anyway, your post is for the most part Gobbledygook...I have no idea what you are accusing me of having done...all I know about you is you do not like to have your opinions challenged and so retaliate like a little girl. Keep on keeping on
I haven't accused you, unless your another sock of hers. ya, very similar attitude but her personas are very big on womens rights/superiority and man hating. my above post had nothing to do with you other than you replacing a profile, not a sock. a sock would be more than one profile, like another poster coming into off topic fighting your battle, using the same phrases, wording etc. or claiming I said something to you that was said to another poster. sure, I have noticed it but wasn't in any way reffering to socks in off topic.
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 2/22/2019 2:37:26 PM
Still waiting for all the other sock puppets to chime in and defend their 'culture'

I had no idea it was even a 'thing' till it was revealed that these forums were infested with them.
Kind of a weird hobby, IMO.
Pottery, poetry and Origami Old Hat?

(Smile)
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 2/22/2019 6:33:39 PM
I am wondering what a "sock puppet" means as it is used on this forum? I am slow on the uptake and was wondering.

I was also wondering what the term "shim"meant. I have seen both of these names applied to forum members in various other threads and was just wondering as to the meaning.

I thank anyone who can clear my fog in regards to this inquiry and thank you again in advance for a answer to my questions.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 2/22/2019 6:50:26 PM
Sock puppet- an extraneous profile used by a poster as a back up or most often used to support the opinions of the main account.

Shim- a derogatory and bigoted term used by a faux “woke” progressive individual to describe a transgender/sexual.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 2/22/2019 7:01:12 PM
And thank you # 10. So many terms applied to so many folks it's hard to keep up.
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 12
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 2/22/2019 7:04:52 PM
in recent threads, shim was short for she/him as we don't know which it is. an issue with multiple profiles or people just not wanting anyone to know. outside of here, it has a 'similar' meaning but not quite so innocent. from what I gather (could be wrong) sock puppets are posters alternate profiles. having several profiles allows one to start an argument and have their other profile back them up. your debating/fighting with 3 different posters but really just 1 person behind the screen. while I have suspicions of them in 'off topic', my post was about whats going on up in the dating part. very obvious if you just look a little closer. read the posts without looking who posted, you will think your reading one from someone else.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 2/22/2019 7:29:49 PM
"shim was short for she/him"

That is not acceptable.

When unsure of a person's preferred pronoun.....use....Ze or Zim as a default...or simply ASK!
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 14
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 2/22/2019 7:48:20 PM
"shim was short for she/him"

That is not acceptable.

When unsure of a person's preferred pronoun.....use....Ze or Zim as a default...or simply ASK!
under any other circumstance, sure. this was directed at a very rude, insulting and hateful being that has purposely hid his/her gender. I knew it was insulting to him/her but didn't care as it has done anything and everything it could to insult me. my ONLY regret is I didn't think about others that may also be offended by the more common meaning. for that, I apologize to everyone else except him/her.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 2/22/2019 11:00:53 PM
Hi Platitude.
I don't remember a KJ521 and I certainly don't remember any discussions about infanticide.....Yikes. My pictures have changed because I'm older now but I was on the forums oh maybe back ten years ago and left of my own accord. Just got bored. I never got "nuked" as I've learned can happen and I don't have any sock puppets.

John. I actually enjoy your posts but they can be extreme at times. I'm taking some blame here too.

But WOW. Some posters can be really vindictive. Imagine using posts from a thread entitled Depression and using the confidences against that poster! I have a thick skin and don't consider depression a stigma for anyone but that is truly very low.
 platitude545
Msg: 16
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 2/23/2019 4:11:42 AM
Shirley, you are not THE shirley I remember from the boards a few years ago. Sorry for the confusion.
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 17
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 2/23/2019 10:04:05 AM

John. I actually enjoy your posts but they can be extreme at times. I'm taking some blame here too.
the 'sock puppets' are why I have been extreme lately. if I am going to leave, going to kick up a ton of dust and chase them around the parking lot one last time.
 MyTrueCompanion
Msg: 18
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 2/23/2019 3:05:32 PM
^^
I hate to break this to you, but your sources(s) are either mis-informed or deliberately misleading you.

And no GG, myself & True Blue & Stratosphere are all separate individuals.

No, I am not on SSI/disability, although I would not judge a person who is.

Not an old man in a wheelchair either (that one may have been from 2011)

Have a lovely evening

XOX

Ta Ta
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 2/23/2019 5:17:28 PM
Shame about John, he seemed like such a nice, mentally stable man , without anger issues.

I hope he mailed my wrinkle cream before he left.
 MyTrueCompanion
Msg: 20
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 2/23/2019 6:18:18 PM
John, I posted something for you- I think you listened to at least 1 convincing liar.

The lies originated from 1 person, the rest prob believed the lie, so when they spread it, they thought they were telling the truth.

Reminds me of an old movie from 1984, Choose me.

Lesley Anne Warren & Keith Carradine. His character tells things about himself, ppl assume it's lies. At the end, we see his suitcase w/ things in it that prove it is all true ;0P

By tomorrow I will remove the pic of me w/ no extensions & the 401K stub slightly obfuscated

And 2morrow someone will say another lie/rumour, bla bla bla

PS- Shirley, another person posted some old youtube vid of me plus a whole bunch of lies, that is low too. Someone in here told me a while ago what you post publicly is fair game to use, IMO downloading things & saving them for YEARS is even LOWER.

Please don't act like butter melts in your mouth after you stirred things up, particularly w/ GG (not that she needs me to take up for her) You insulted & tried to shame her & any woman who has some skin showing.

Yes there are socks, one in particular photo shopped so much it was a joke. Fake backgrounds, over lit, blurred, etc. Who cares! At this point if someone has to be in fantasy world...

ontheotherhand
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 2/24/2019 1:37:29 AM

And no GG, myself & True Blue & Stratosphere are all separate individuals.

Of course Tru_Blu isn't you. How conveniently you forget that you have accused her, babblefish, and myself of being halcyon skies. Omg, I must be talking to myself when we email.

This brings me to one of my favorite threads where you expose that you do dox, stalk and send information to other other posters. This is from when your username was BLoNDeANGeL845. The whole thread is interesting (even things not about you). Still I just love your post msg 56. I laughed out loud at responses msgs 62 & 69.

https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts16318416.aspx
Christmas 2014... Did Santa bring you what you wished for?
 cooldog65
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 2/24/2019 7:01:14 AM
This topic should be fun...
 Cynderella
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 2/24/2019 8:55:04 AM
^^^ I'm having popcorn for breakfast.
 Tru_Blue
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 2/24/2019 9:53:27 AM
Same old...same old...
A few character changes but the "star" remains the same..
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 2/24/2019 5:54:12 PM
And the title of Queen Biatch goes to_________!

Fill in the blank. Oh hell! We all know who!

But does she? Nah! That would require more self awareness than her narcissism allows. Sad!
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Sock Puppet Culture?