Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Talk about cars, bikes and boats....and motors too!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Talk about cars, bikes and boats....and motors too!Page 1 of 1    
Hey look!
I put your posts in a relevant thread! Thank you for your insights however in between your shop talk.

rednwhiterider
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?
Posted: 2/23/2019 440 PM
you don't happen to be state machine by chance?
(just coincidence not making accusations)

anyways
I run a 496 hd ally 6 speed... super sport.lol.
mine is limited at the speed of ..... tires.
might dyno a bit more aggressive but it's winter...
I also drive like grandma who keeps wrecking. lol
sok...
my bikes have no such luck or temperance.

not everyone in the cemetery is the same, save relieved.
nor are all golfers the same.

some xtain priests have wives and kids...
some are child rapists.

I think the op is starting a journey.
we've all been there.

first step is the hardest.

religion is a tough subject and not the topic.
many fighters would rather show up and lose, than win by looking good.

Shirley is not alone on her quest.

I think... bamdum *tsss
most folks here are looking for something.
finding like minded folks is key.

I am hesitant to label because it eliminates and ostracizes.
maybe the kindness of Christmas is a good thing in folks lives. ?.

want a clause might not be real.... but the tooth fairy is.

damn... Jon is nuked.

I wonder who did that?

SS4544Spd
Msg: 8
view profile
History

Posted: 2/23/2019 456 PM

you don't happen to be state machine by chance?
No – relative newcomer – have only had this ID during my entire POF life. Miracle lol.

I run a 496 hd ally 6 speed... super sport.lol.
496?? Ya mean 396? I don’t know nuff bout big blocks to know if there is a bored-and-stroked version that can make 496? Bet our house expert – GTO – can chime in to clear that confusion up.

mine is limited at the speed of ..... tires.
might dyno a bit more aggressive but it's winter...
I also drive like grandma who keeps wrecking. lol
sok...
But honestly, no musclecars for me, in decades. I won’t even admit what I drive now….it’s embarassing…but at least the cops ignore me! Lol

my bikes have no such luck or temperance.
Same with bikes – it’s been decades…sadly…although I keep dreaming bout a giant HD in my retirement years. If I can get a do-rag, giant gray stache and a ponytail to cooperate.

I am hesitant to label because it eliminates and ostracizes.
maybe the kindness of Christmas is a good thing in folks lives. ?.
I’ve been lucky enough so far in my life to have known, worked with, partied with, or otherwise acquainted with….people from all walks, classes, races, religions, political leanings, etc. etc. etc. ….and seen good sides/opinions from everyone. I’d bet most here would get along much more in person, over a beer, or whatever.

Carry on with the OP sorry to hijack the thread, Shirley.

rednwhiterider
Msg: 10
view profile
History

Posted: 2/23/2019 559 PM
stock 496.

redicorouse

only one that beats, is 505 caddy

Forereels
Msg: 11
view profile
History

Posted: 2/23/2019 518 PM

496?? Ya mean 396? I don’t know nuff bout big blocks to know if there is a bored-and-stroked version that can make 496?

Yes, the 496 is a 454 block with a stroker kit...
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Talk about cars, bikes and boats....and motors too!
Posted: 2/23/2019 7:59:55 PM
Hi guys.
I hope you don't mind but I took your posts and put them in your very own relevant thread! I hope you enjoy!
get the motor running
Posted: 2/25/2019 10:08:59 AM
and now for the boring story of why a 496 wasn't recognized...for the ladies who wish to impress the hot car enthusiast :)

(oh, and jon wasn't nuked, he said he was leaving)

the Chevy 396 cid Big Block, was from its inception until the end of the 1970's, what the LS1 is today...a midsized engine that gets no respect from the "bigger is better" crowd when in reality, it easily makes more power than the average driver can handle on wet pavement. There were more 454's made, but if you really wanted to make more than 470 cid before the 1990's, you wanted to find the 427 tall deck truck block in those commerical Chevy or GMC box delivery trucks. Easily confused for its smaller brother the 366 truck engine in school buses etc, the 7 litre has a taller block b/c it runs a taller, 4 ring piston to resist detonation. you'll know you have one if you can slip your thumb between the water pump opening and the bottom of the cylinder head. anyway, increasing the block height increased the crankcase volume and you can stick a big crank in there without having to buy a $4,000 aftermarket race block.

in the 1990's, as prices for those blocks decreased, the Chinese got better at metallurgy, and car magazines found out that for what it cost to have a forged 454 crank balanced to good connecting rods and pistons, you could buy a 496 cid crank kit right off someone's shelf..and you wouldn't wait a month for the machine shop to make you next in line. thus, the 496 cid became accessable and popular.

n 2001, Chevy built their own. dodge had needed a gas engine that had the torque of a diesel, and having thrown out there 440 plans, teamed up with partner Lamborghini to use their V-10 (which would become their performance engine until they rebirthed the hemi). Ford was in their modular OHC engine phase, so they responded with the Triton V-10 (until replaced with the tall deck 5.4 litre triton). Chevy, however, had invested in redoing the fabled "Rat" engine, and so they just built a 496 cid version they called the "8100" for use in Suburbans, motorhomes, midwest irrigation pumps, etc. but the redo of the famed big block meant that the old aftermarket heads wouldn't fit, and the stock 8100 was designed for low RPM use, so the heads sucked for high RPM performance. lots of torque, not as much horsepower. and you've heard the saying "horsepower sells engine packages, but torque creates acceleratoin from a dead stop"

meanwhile, there's another nail in the 496 coffin...the kids today prefer to buy a 5.3 litre or 6.0 litre LS engine, add a $700 chinese made turbo kit from eBay (alas, not as reliable as their crankshafts--the cast iron models rival the old forged cranks for strength), and churn out 600-1000 bhp (depending upon whether or not E-85 gasoline is availible) until it breaks.

and that is why a 496 isn't familiar to those of us who grew up on 455 cid big blocks...our 13 second machines are now quaint historical museum pieces :)
 rednwhiterider
Msg: 4
view profile
History
get the motor running
Posted: 2/25/2019 10:53:10 AM
great post....

you're right about kids these days.
rather than put the work into the guts,
they add on party favors to "disposable" power plants.
a friend's kid is on his 4th?
probably with less than 200 miles on the chassis...

racing is expensive.
lol... a 30 car pile up?
new rebuild after every hill climb...
missing 3rd at 6500...

smoking tire for the crowd?
add 800 dollars.
topless chrome polish...
priceless.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 5
view profile
History
get the motor running
Posted: 3/10/2019 8:16:25 AM
Come guys....and some gals.
Perfect opportunity to discuss your stuff! I'd love to read about it. lol
 Llove2laughtoo
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2019 9:30:35 AM

Come guys....and some gals. Perfect opportunity to discuss your stuff! I'd love to read about it.

This would be a more interesting topic if we could add pictures of the vehicles being discussed.

My Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14 has the best combination of comfort and ludicrous performance I've ever ridden; it is the fastest sport touring bike in the planet.

On the open road it makes me feel like a god, there is no one I can't catch and pass whenever I want. The bottomless well of power is just so addictive.

I need to watch the speed limit on the road I'm driving or my license will be toast.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2019 10:41:13 AM

This would be a more interesting topic if we could add pictures of the vehicles being discussed.

Add the pictures to your profiles?
 rednwhiterider
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2019 6:20:13 PM
picture a '32 franny B snipe.

cork clutch, asbestos breaks, 6v, leaded gas...

right hand jockey with a true girder front end.

small enough you could put a shoulder strap on it and take the tube.

90%complete. it rolls on its own. any takers?

122cc? dual exhaust 2 stroke...
original springs....
fresh drivetrain rebuild...

free shipping. make offer.

prewar classic wall hanger.

I'd take payments from vlad.
get the motor running
Posted: 3/11/2019 9:38:26 AM
when you're a young male and its hard to find a lady, a hot rod tends to make an "almost replacement". You build it yourself, shovel money on it, and when it works, it thrills you. its eye candy that speaks to other males. it goes fast, its painted a bright color, its loud, it does what you tell it (mostly).

then there's just the matter of taking a road trip. explore the back roads in a machine built to do so. it makes a statement to those who see you, like wearing fancy clothes. people know why you bought it (not for the trunk space). how many movie heros show up for the initial scene in a 4 door honda? its typically something loud and fast and you already think you know something about the character before the dialogue and action begins.

if you like building with your hands, its funny how interested you get in a garage. like a chef loves their kitchen, and loves the tools that give them pro results. a garage can be old, can be something your father handed down to you. its full of parts you don't need right now, but you will some day on your dream car. or maybe its something left behind by an old racecar or othe favorite ride that sparks old memories of younger days.

the tools say you can fix almost anything. you can create. the wear and tear suggest long weekends making something right, that good work was accomplished and someone feels the right kind of tired.

what i love about cars and bikes is, there's more to it than just going fast, or constructing something out of junkyard parts that runs as fast as the rich man's corvette (talk about equality). for example, custom painting is a world all its own, there's some amazing color shades out there to choose, like DuPont's Hot Hues brand, or House of Kolor. you can make a stock car look more appetitizing than ribbon candy on the holidays. some shades will change as you walk past, from purple to blue to gold to green, and the more body lines and curves in the fenders, the more the light hits from different directions and comes back to you in different shades.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 10
view profile
History
get the motor running
Posted: 3/11/2019 11:24:23 AM
^
Iridescent. I saw a paint job like that a few weeks ago. WOW! I loved it!
You can compare a passion for cars however to almost any hobby. Beginning many years ago and still, I love to make modern clothing from vintage styles I buy at the thrift shops. Later I then learned the art of renovations. Not just to paint a wall, but to utilize it, move it, alter it.....
Then I learned that I love the challenge of repairing things. Anything. Just last week, I took a ceiling fan apart to repair the gizmo that controlled the fan speed. Two hours of frustration but success! A passion for any hobby will always help someone to find a more positive outlook and the emotional rewards of accomplishment are hard to equal.
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 11
view profile
History
get the motor running
Posted: 3/13/2019 10:16:08 AM
i agree, achievement is good for the soul. when i have a bad week, its typically b/c i failed to achieve, and its made better when i can. also, passion is what makes us feel alive. not to defend automobiles, but they are a pursuit that has many songs written about it :) probably b/c driving is a first freedom for all of us, and some song writers grew up in the golden age of auto, so they sing about rocket 88's and SS396 and little GTO's (hey, its cold out).
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 12
view profile
History
get the motor running
Posted: 3/13/2019 8:33:36 PM
Oh....I've had car crazy men in my life right from as a teenager. I've spent some time as tool passer. lol
Learned a thing or two while I was at it too. I learned every practical skill I have just by watching someone else.
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 13
view profile
History
get the motor running
Posted: 3/14/2019 8:05:03 AM
"I learned every practical skill I have just by watching someone else. "

>>>i have a lot of respect for the self-taught. it requires a curiousity of what goes on around us. i used to work with a fellow who never went to college or trade school, but redid the floor plan of his house several times as his kids' needs changed, all b/c at work, when someone came in to do construction, he always looked over their shoulder (he was a manager of a tiny departmen, he had the time) and asked questions.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Talk about cars, bikes and boats....and motors too!