Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > What do you make of younger people who message you then don't reply t      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dwmitch
Msg: 1
view profile
History
What do you make of younger people who message you then don't reply to your reply?Page 1 of 1    
Over the last several months I've had girls entirely too young for me messaging me. I can't figure out the reason, because women in their mid to late 20s don't often seek out men in their late 30s. I'm honest about my income, <$20,000 per year so they're not looking for a sugar daddy from me. I highly doubt my profile pic is turning any heads, and while the current incarnation of my profile is absurdity born out of boredom, a friend of mine told me it makes me seem like a loose cannon so I doubt they're attracted to anything on it.

The bots are easy to spot, usually professional pictures, in another state, and an About Me section that says something like "I'm letting go of my inhibitions," plus PoF does a pretty good job of deleting them. Got a message from a bot this afternoon then a few hours later the message was gone, meaning the account was deleted. I know at least one of them is legitimate because I met her in person a few years ago. I was handing out produce boxes for my sister-in-law every week in this woman's home town and from time to time she'd come out to get her mother's box. I'm reasonably sure a lot of the others are legit. Multiple cell phone selfies, the obligatory friend's wedding picture, a fleshed out About Me, etc.

Initially I didn't respond to any of them because they're too young for me, the exception being the one who picked up the produce boxes and only because I figured she was going to ask on behalf of her mother if my sister-in-law was going to start doing them again. She never replied. A month later I got another "hey there :)" from her. I replied again. Then I started replying to messages from the other women to see if they'd follow up. I figured best case scenario I end up with someone to chat with, worst case I have to let them know that they're too young for me.

No replies. Seems like every month I'll get a message from young girls, but when I reply they'll say nothing. A lot of them message me multiple times, always saying the same thing (just a generic "hi" or "hey there," no spam messages), but they never reply.

It doesn't make sense that these women would message me in the first place given that I'm typically out of their age range (in a lot of cases I wouldn't even be able to make first contact because of age settings), but I can't figure out why they're messaging me then giving me the cold shoulder when I respond.
 dwmitch
Msg: 2
view profile
History
What do you make of younger people who message you then don't reply to your reply?
Posted: 2/24/2019 10:33:57 PM
Never mind. Just got inundated by messages from obvious bots. I actually bothered to read them this time, and they were the same "hey there :)" that the woman I personally met keeps sending me.

So her profile is legit but now I suspect that it's been taken over by spammers.
 spot4username
Msg: 3
view profile
History
What do you make of younger people who message you then don't reply to your reply?
Posted: 2/25/2019 3:20:26 AM
When a woman views a man's profile under your main profile photo it says:

Send a Flirt
with a clickable button labeled

Show Interest

Clicking that generates the
Hey there ;)
messages you are referring to. It is like a wink and it is lame. If you would like ignore them until a bit of time has gone by. If it is a fake the profile will go away.
 dwmitch
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2019 9:23:57 PM
I see. That option isn't available to male users, at least not on desktop (never tried PoF on mobile) so I was unaware of it. I figured the bots were just programmed to send that message, and since someone I knew to be legitimate sent it as well I figured she was just hijacked.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > What do you make of younger people who message you then don't reply to your reply?