Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Flat Earthers      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Kokanee_Ice
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Flat EarthersPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Is the flat earth movement the end of society as we know it? How can somebody possibly believe that the earth is flat in 2019? It’s ranks have grown by 200 per year since 2009. Is this the ultimate conspiracy theory?
 platitude545
Msg: 2
Flat Earthers
Posted: 2/28/2019 11:02:31 AM
^^^ its membership is what? .0000000000000001% of the population? As conspiracy theories go, this is one of the less damaging ones and probably many join simply for the fun of it...I don't think this means the end of the world.
 Spectrallight
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Flat Earthers
Posted: 2/28/2019 4:04:28 PM

Is the flat earth movement the end of society as we know it? How can somebody possibly believe that the earth is flat in 2019?

I've watched a documentary on the rubbish. It's entertaining to say the least. I think platitude is right. People join it for a laugh.
 Inicia
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Flat Earthers
Posted: 2/28/2019 7:09:44 PM
^^lol no tell me how you know the earth isn't flat?? tic
 LeFouGamboj
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Flat Earthers
Posted: 2/28/2019 7:37:53 PM
as was already pointed out.....its mainly done for "fun", but it is also to re-capture a sense of nostalgia from a time (that has since been obliterated up by the age of discovery), where sailors feared falling off the edge of the earth if their vessel got too close...and told epic accounts of how they managed to avoid it.

most members are also members of other outlandish societies (some not so outlandish), which provides them a life of perpetual networking & travel..........sort of like a "meet up" on steroids
 Kokanee_Ice
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Flat Earthers
Posted: 2/28/2019 10:53:31 PM

as was already pointed out.....its mainly done for "fun", but it is also to re-capture a sense of nostalgia from a time (that has since been obliterated up by the age of discovery), where sailors feared falling off the edge of the earth if their vessel got too close...and told epic accounts of how they managed to avoid it.

most members are also members of other outlandish societies (some not so outlandish), which provides them a life of perpetual networking & travel..........sort of like a "meet up" on steroids

What’s so fun about promoting the false belief that the earth is flat? Anyways, I do belief that the guy who started it was quite serious. Conspiracy beliefs are actually more common than you think. I could be anybody- it could be your next-door neighbor. Perhaps people that adhere to such beliefs feel outside of society. My ex-wife was a very taken in with conspiracy theories - it drove me crazy.
 back_again4917
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Flat Earthers
Posted: 3/1/2019 4:41:57 AM

Is this the ultimate conspiracy theory?

Kokanee, I concur completely with platitude. I know he just threw a number out there but his calculation is a little off. With the US population of 328.310 million, 200 a year would be a whopping 0.000000006092% per year, or four per state per year. On the other hand, with the world Population of 7.714575 billion, 200 a year would be 0.000000000259% per year, or 33-1/3 per year per populated continent. (the 1/3 person has to be 1/3 human and 2/3 space alien)

So, Kokanee , by your numbers Wyoming is being overrun by as much as 40 new members in the last ten years, unless some of them have passed away – or been institutionalized – or abducted by spacemen – or imprisoned in a covert CIA jail for being part of the Kennedy assignations. (The CIA recruits Flat Earthers for covert domestic missions)

Yep, the throngs you speak of should scare the hell out of all of us Kokanee! Based on the numbers above they are growing exponentially. They are everywhere. They may even be reading your post and plotting your demise for this negative exposure.
 platitude545
Msg: 8
Flat Earthers
Posted: 3/1/2019 9:11:57 AM
^^^^^ LOL....the truth is that people have known, since about the 6th Century, the world was a sphere. Columbus was never worried about sailing off the edge of the earth...he was worried about finding another Continent... They well knew in the 15th Century the World was round.

The person who started the Flat Earth Society was serious I believe, but its hare to believe its membership actually believes that today.
I once thought of joining just for the hell of it, and I can't think of one conspiracy theory I buy into.
 Spectrallight
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Flat Earthers
Posted: 3/1/2019 9:16:18 AM

^^lol no tell me how you know the earth isn't flat?? tic

Hahaha. I was going to initially play this game. Not playing
 back_again4917
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Flat Earthers
Posted: 3/1/2019 10:03:33 AM
I was about eight or nine when I first heard about the Flat Earth Society. That was when my grandmother told us about reading an article about the Flat Earth Society. I remember her telling us about how they believed it was a myth that the earth was globular and that the sun, planets, and stars actually revolved around the earth. She said they claimed the moon landings were fake. Their claim was that they were staged by the US Government and were completely filmed in studios. Something about the government using it as a cover for the funds actually being spent on the Viet Nam “conflict” and the cold war.

She did not believe in the Flat Earth malarkey about the moon landings being staged although, due to her belief in the Bible being literal, she admitted to some personal conflict between the two ideas of a flat earth and a globular one.

I believe that there are likely several groups that indoctrinate the flat earth agenda and others that, like you state platitude, exist just for the entertainment of its members.

It sounds like this kokanee guy might be another Coast to Coast listener.
 Inicia
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Flat Earthers
Posted: 3/1/2019 1:06:39 PM
the bible never claims a flat earth. i do understand some of the confusion presented via the scribes and translations..
 back_again4917
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Flat Earthers
Posted: 3/1/2019 4:38:29 PM
The term “end of the earth”, “going to the ends of the earth”, etc. are solidly based in the antiquated belief of a flat earth.

the bible never claims a flat earth.

While the bible never states specifically that the earth is flat there are numerous scriptures that indicate the writer was referring to the earth being unmovable, built on a plane, having four corners, or being anything but spherical.

Here are just a few, quoted from the King James vession…
Psalms 19:4 "Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,"

Psalms 19:5 "Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world."

Psalms 96:10 "the world also shall be established that it shall not be moved:"

Psalms 104:2 "..who stretchest out the heavens like a curtain:"

Job 38:13 "That it might take hold of the ends of the earth, that the wicked might be shaken out of it?"

Proverbs 30:4 "who hath bound the waters in a garment? Who hath established all the ends of the earth?"

Isaiah 40:22 "It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in."

Daniel 4:11 "he tree grew, and was strong, and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and the sight thereof to the end of all the earth:"

That is just a few. There are many, many more referring to the earth having edges, being the center of the heavens and so on.

I am not even talking about the bible story of Joshua asking God to make the sun stand still so the Israelites could be victorious over the Amorites in Canaan.
 Inicia
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Flat Earthers
Posted: 3/1/2019 5:42:53 PM
none of those indicate flat earth..as i said scribes and translations
 back_again4917
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Flat Earthers
Posted: 3/7/2019 6:53:36 AM
Inicia, I used to consider you somewhat intelligent and non-confrontational. Your replies to my posts have changed my mind for both prior impressions.

I NEVER said the Bible claims the earth is flat.

I originally stated that my Grandmother knew the earth was a globe but was conflicted with the Bible scriptures indicating otherwise. Yes, yes, yes… I did state “she admitted to some personal conflict between the two ideas of a flat earth and a globular one” but I did not state that she said that the Bible actually said the earth was flat.

Please allow me to reiterate; The Bible often refers to the earth not being a globe. That along with the generally accepted idea that the earth was flat and the center of the universe (or all things, everything, everywhere) when the scriptures were supposedly written roughly between 2000 and 5000 years ago is what caused her conflict.

After your reply, incorrectly indicating that I claimed the Bible said the earth is flat, I then posted (I quote my post)…
While the Bible never states specifically that the earth is flat there are numerous scriptures that indicate the writer was referring to the earth being unmovable, built on a plane, having four corners, or being anything but spherical.

Again, I NEVER said the Bible claims, nor indicates, the earth is flat. I did say there are many scriptures stating the earth is anything but a globe or spherical. You know, like a sphere has no ends to grab hold of and shake it out, or that a sphere or globe has no edges, or that no matter how far away from the surface of a sphere you vantage point is there is no ‘end of it all’ to be seen. Again, a sphere has no edges, no ends and no corners etc., etc.

You again replied with the same statement that the Bible never claims a flat earth.

One more time, and please read this slowly so it can sink in, I never stated the Bible says, nor indicates, that the earth is flat.

Again, the Bible has numerous scriptures describing the earth as anything but global or spherical. That was my point that you fail to comprehend.

To the best of my extensive knowledge of scriptures, the Bible never outright states the earth is flat, just as I stated earlier. So please, stop accusing me of trying to indicate that the Bible says the earth is flat.

I researched my Bible concordances and cannot come up with one scripture clearly indicating a globular or spherical earth. So, inicia, if you have a scripture that is stating - or hell, even just unarguably indicating - the earth is a globe/sphere then please post it rather than just repeating your inaccurate/confrontational attack on my post.

Thank you.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Flat Earthers
Posted: 3/7/2019 7:39:35 PM
If the earth really is flat, are we on the bottom or top of it??
Heads or tails , your guess is as good as mine.

Because whether it's flat or round...
I think being an earthling is just fine.
Flat Earthers
Posted: 3/8/2019 6:45:39 PM
I been to the edge of the earth. Stood and looked down. Could tell then that it was flat, and had a dome thingy over it. So I just turned around and walked away.
 Inicia
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Flat Earthers
Posted: 3/9/2019 6:58:48 PM
"It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell i
i have no clue who you are or were in the past? or the posts that i found deeming an intelligent response. lol sorry you have a different opinion of my responses, remember it is your statements to which i am responding unintelligently and "confrontational" lol... an internet confrontation.. too funny
 back_again4917
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Flat Earthers
Posted: 3/10/2019 1:59:15 AM

So, inicia, if you have a scripture that is stating - or hell, even just unarguably indicating - the earth is a globe/sphere then please post it rather than just repeating your inaccurate/confrontational attack on my post.

To which you respond with Isaiah 40:22? How is that unarguably indicating the earth is a globe/sphere? I quoted the same scripture as an example of a scripture indicating the earth is anything but a sphere. A circle is round but a circle does NOT a sphere make!

My point, inica, is that you insisted that my posts were making the argument that the Bible says the earth is flat. I said repeatedly that that it does not state, nor indicate, a flat earth. And you again post a statement incorrectly indicating I was. I then asked you to post a scripture that “unarguably” indicates a globular/spherical earth and you quote one of the very scriptures I posted indicating the earth is not a sphere but rather a circle. How can you consider that unarguable? Isaiah 40:22 is probably the most quoted and argued scripture with both sides of the flat earth argument quoting it. In fact, Isaiah 40:22 was the scripture my grandmother most often quoted that caused he conflict because it could be argued both ways. So, inica, I ask, how is that scripture unarguable? Furthermore, your reply is an example of why I question your comprehension, thus your intelligence. And your multiple posts indicating that I was presenting an argument that the Bible states the earth is flat even though I insisted I was not is why I call you confrontational.
 Inicia
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Flat Earthers
Posted: 3/10/2019 10:01:20 AM
su-who is confrontational? and i still have no idea who you are? as i said scribes and translations and i did choose to utilize your bible verse to assist your comprehension..
 back_again4917
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Flat Earthers
Posted: 3/10/2019 11:49:07 AM
You are too much.

Terrible debater too. Just terrible.

The original Hebrew word that is translated to “circle” in Isiah 40:22 is a word pronounced chug. (I do not know of a way to insert Hebrew font here or I would represent it that way too)The Hebrew root for it is a name for a device, or instrument, used to mark/scribe a circle. It is translated in other scriptures as the word compass, which is the instrument we use today to draw a circle with. Never can the root word be translated or interpreted as the word sphere.

If I thought I could get thru the fog of your comprehension I would love to debate the scriptures based upon the original languages they were written in along with taking into account the context both the entire subject they are excerpted from and the context of the common knowledge of the people and era that they were written. I am sure I would run circles around you. Pun intended. However, you are impossibly dense and exhibit the stubbornness of being short sighted. You would obviously continue repeating/preaching the same unfounded accusation over and over.

I am not a religious person although I was immersed in Church culture growing up. I have however studied the Bible extensively along with other supposedly ancient writings of the same era as the “scriptures”. (2000 to 5000 years ago) Besides my B.S. in Agribusiness, I hold a B.S. of Biblical History, with a minor in Divinity.

Have a wonderful day.
 Inicia
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Flat Earthers
Posted: 3/10/2019 12:31:31 PM
All I stated was the Bible never claims a Flat Earth than and you go on this whole thing about my comprehension my stupidity so who is being confrontational .
And I still have no clue as to who you are but apparently you know me so happy days.
You speak of divine and then talk about the Hebrew language etc tcetra what you have here is human beings trying to write something that was divinely inspired .. I don't care what language you are speaking and writing in it is going to be extremely difficult for a human to comprehend a divine Consciousness .
D'atura(The Torah) is approximately 5000 years old ; So you have the scientific understanding of 5000 years ago trying to comprehend what is being divinely inspired , Therefore There would be much confusion , similar to tongues trying to comprehend exactly what is spoken in tongues .
Now what we have is a divine mind translated by human comprehension of one language now translated to other languages you know you Greek , Latin and that you know whatever language
, finally English ..So good luck with your bible degree.
 Inicia
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Flat Earthers
Posted: 3/10/2019 1:14:08 PM
in addition, supposedly you agreed with my short succinct summary of your statement???? again you be the confrontational one not me!? i made no reference to you, or your person.. introduction to debate 100-refrain from personal attacks. once you have that down maybe move into a precursor, than using false/or claimed authority another sophomoric debate technique to sway audiences when worried!
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Flat Earthers
Posted: 3/10/2019 4:38:28 PM
Rumor has it that a national chain of pizza parlors is offering."Flat Earth Pizza" hoping to garner that niche market~

Let's order!

Pushes drinks cart closer~

(Smile)
 Inicia
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Flat Earthers
Posted: 3/11/2019 7:33:49 PM
^load it up with veggies and i am on board!
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Flat Earthers
Posted: 3/11/2019 8:17:33 PM
^^^ 23, the nice thing about pizza, and why it may pertain to this topic is that it is both round, and also flat at the same time. Unless you cook it in a square pan. Still, it would be flat pretty much.

But, pizza is always good and so is mother earth. I know earth isn't flat and I am also glad pizza is. Flat earth pizza sounds like a good idea.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Flat Earthers