Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Shallow pool in the countryside      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cymbid
Msg: 1
Shallow pool in the countrysidePage 1 of 1    
I live in a relatively rural part of the world , and am I suppose looking in a quite shallow pool.

I am 64 (soon to be 65) and not looking for a toy boy , so looking near my age group .
At this end of the lifespan I am also looking only up to 5 years older.. If i was in my 40's I might have looked up to 10 years older but im trying to be realistic.

When I search basic and advanced I am shown people as far as 50 miles away . I suspect because there are just not enough local.

What do you do , when you have looked at everyone local . Do you lower your standards and expectations or just give up ?

Is a dating site any use at all when there are so few members in your area?
 UKBunny
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Shallow pool in the countryside
Posted: 3/3/2019 2:30:10 AM
I think you just answered your own question -
Dating sites (probably) work well in large metropolitan areas
with fair numbers of possibles aged around 35 - 50.
After that it all gets a bit thin - in a rural area it gets very thin.
You seem to be doing the 'real life' stuff, and hopefully,
when you least expect it, you may yet meet 'the one'.
Good luck, I hope it all works out for you..........

Aggers
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2019 6:44:34 PM
Hold My Pint Bunny, I'll take this one!

Right, as a member of this site I feel your frustration. If like me, you like to live in more rural or coastal areas, you will always have frustrations, period. I like to live in low population areas, just because I do not like the annoyance of big cities, traffic, potential violence, law and disorder etc. and quite purely, a dislike for having a lot of annoying people around me? I chose to leave inner-city life many years ago, as a life-choice. I currently live by the coast in East Yorkshire and have lived in isolated countryside North Wales in the the recent past. Purely to satiate my beliefs for the aforementioned.

However, elsewhere on this forum, I posted that, in my search criteria, I presently had 18 active dating profiles in my area. That is slim pickings, as you are finding. It was even worse in rural North Wales. So I can relate to your frustration in your dating. But it is what it is, I'm afraid and it is the way with this online dating malarkey. Sad to say but true.

A few years ago, we created a breakaway, from here group, mainly to get away from the failures and frailties of this sites, online dating rubbish. A "task-force" without a task if you like! We (most of us) met up, had discussions about this site and vented to each other on a daily basis. We really tried to make it much better, for all of us, but all to no avail? Friendships were formed, even some relationships, but the bottom line is this. at the end of the day; we are all strangers on the internet. We cannot have it all our own way, I am afraid.

In truth, Plenty of Fish is a very poor (FREE) and shabby dating site and, dependant on location, has no fish anymore. Online dating can and will be fruitless. It is supposed to be the "modern way, but read some of the other threads on how it is now dying on its feet!

But good luck anyway!
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2019 4:29:30 AM
The forum is dying but I think the Pof dating is still working.

There are loads of dating sites. Ourtime looks OK, no idea what it costs but does come up with few people in my area.

I know plenty of people who have met through one r other of the dating sites> I run a grup on Meetup, have done for 10 years. last week I was looking at some old photos and counted off how few people were left in the group who hadn't found a partner. Huge number who had found someone through a Meetup group, dating site or local organisation. It can work.
 cymbid
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/4/2019 2:14:37 PM
Ive looked at other sites, Including Ourtime. Match (I think they are connected) Badoo Its all the same people on the sites though most of them havnt bothered to upgrade to full membership on the paysites and therefore cannot be contacted.
Meetup is good . but apart from a group for gay folks and a photography group everything is up in Edinburgh. 45 miles and an hours drive. Another drawback of the rural life.
I will be moving from the village i live in , to the nearest small town soon (about 12 miles) but that area is already included in my search area.
On my last time on a dating site (Match) some 5 years ago I did decide to lower my expectations and got together with a man some 9 years older than me. He was a good man , and even tho I did not feel the spark i decided to go with it and hope something would grow .
Now 5 years on, we have split up . It didnt work .. I am embarrassed to say 'settling'
I wont do it again . Maybe it will take a while but i hope i can feel the spark again
 UKBunny
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2019 11:24:38 AM
If you can be bothered, this makes an interesting read.............

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Match.com

Aggers
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2019 6:29:14 AM

The forum is dying but I think the Pof dating is still working.

Err, Sorry Chappy. The people I keep in contact with, who are also on here and myself would disagree with you there! There seems to be no dating-ready matches at all where I live. Everyone is just on here and "waiting" for something to happen? God knows what?

looked at other sites, Including Ourtime. Match (I think they are connected) Badoo Its all the same people on the sites though most of them havnt bothered to upgrade to full membership on the paysites and therefore cannot be contacted.

Indeed on these sites mentioned above. I did a check in with them and a few others. Round here it is exactly the same, going nowhere, people.

Bunny is right, Bigger cities more choice.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Shallow pool in the countryside