Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > review the prof      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rca4377
Msg: 1
review the profPage 1 of 1    
tried different profiles. this is the latest. figure if they like the pic it's best not to get too wordy in the text. that comes later. why do i need 200 words
for this. just want a profile review. feedback fro ladies welcome. are we there yet?
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 2
view profile
History
review the prof
Posted: 3/27/2019 9:06:02 PM
Your profile reads like a 'Dick and Jane' book. Short and choppy sentences. "See Jane run." "See Dick cook". Not very interesting either.
Sorry but your food pictures will not garner interest.
How do you manage to be 58 and your longest relationship is less than 2 years? That is a big red flag to most women. Is that a typo possibly? If not, you might like to explain that a little. There must be some kind of reason?
 rca4377
Msg: 3
review the prof
Posted: 3/28/2019 5:01:01 AM
i have to say the food pics do get positive comments. any other opinions on food pics?

as for the relationship duration, i would rather not explain that in an online dating profile or a forum. they should drop that as a required entry in my opinion. at worst it should be a yellow flag anyway. it's only a profile.

i will abandon the lower case typing. it's an old habit.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 4
view profile
History
review the prof
Posted: 3/28/2019 10:02:28 AM
Then maybe jazz the food pics up with an attractive setting. Flowers or a fancy plate, or on a pretty tablecloth with a couple of wine glasses or coffee cups?
IMO, the relationship duration is important. It identifies a person as one who has had stable relationships of a length that indicates that one can make the effort in a relationship. Very short relationships could indicate mental instability, substance abuse issues, criminal factors or just an inability or lack of desire to make a relationship work. If you addressed it promising further explanation in person, it would at least show that you recognize that it could be an obstacle to many women and that you feel there is a legitimate reason.
It's not really the lack of capitals but the very short sentences that don't really tell us who you are.
On the other hand, you appear to be attractive and fit which is a plus.
Remember that what you consider as "only a profile" is the marketing tool designed to attract a woman. Sales really.
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 5
view profile
History
review the prof
Posted: 3/28/2019 2:14:42 PM
Do the comments you get on the food pics lead to meeting women?
The food only pics are against POF rules, they may get deleted, you may get warned. Why bother with that? How about a food pic with you, holding the pie, with a BIG SMILE.
Your main photo looks gloomy, scary even. You are NOT SMILING, you even look stern or mean or something. And the shadows look gloomy or something. It is NOT sexy or mysterious.
Pic #5, again, no smile, and you look haughty.
#6 would be good, if 3/4 of your face wasn't in shadow.
 rca4377
Msg: 6
review the prof
Posted: 3/29/2019 2:21:44 PM
updated the profile. will work on new pics. throw me some light and/or shade.
 spectravision
Msg: 7
view profile
History
review the prof
Posted: 3/29/2019 3:23:16 PM
I like this advice

"How about a food pic with you, holding the pie, with a BIG SMILE. "

I think it would do your profile good.

The one thing I would drop is the disclaimer in conversation starters.
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 8
view profile
History
review the prof
Posted: 3/29/2019 3:26:43 PM
Not a bad profile at all. You are different and that's good.
Since you have an athletic body, you should show it off. How about a full body shot in jeans and a well fitting t-shirt?
 rca4377
Msg: 9
review the prof
Posted: 3/29/2019 3:47:11 PM
then where does the disclaimer go? at the end of the about me section? it's all just text anyway. i never used the disclaimer before. i got it from shirley. do others think it is really necessary or just useless legalistic boilerplate overkill. I know, nobody knows.
 spectravision
Msg: 10
view profile
History
review the prof
Posted: 3/29/2019 3:53:37 PM
You don't have it on the profile at all. It's pointless. It has no value or legality.
 rca4377
Msg: 11
review the prof
Posted: 3/29/2019 5:00:34 PM
and i just took it out
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 12
view profile
History
review the prof
Posted: 3/29/2019 9:41:25 PM
Very nice! I would however delete the bit about religion as I doubt that you really have any kind of problem with that? Besides your religious beliefs or lack of is addressed in the first part of your profile.
 rca4377
Msg: 13
review the prof
Posted: 3/30/2019 1:11:17 AM
I don't get it shirley. your advice is not reflected in your profile. is it different for guys?
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 14
view profile
History
review the prof
Posted: 3/30/2019 7:59:57 AM
^^^^
I think it is possible that you are being deliberately obtuse however I will explain.
My desire to meet a man of faith is a personal specification and stated because it seems that the largest percentage of men on POF are non-religious or do not care about a woman's level of faith but in spite of my profile, message me anyway.
On the other hand, as I said, I doubt very much if you are being bombarded with messages from women who mention any kind of religion.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 15
view profile
History
review the prof
Posted: 3/30/2019 9:51:33 AM
First, your profile is more interesting than average.

I seem to be most attracted to light brown hair, but I wouldn't exclude everyone else.

I would delete this. It doesn't help you. Forget the fact that most likely you will be the initiating and choosing who to write to, but it might actually prevent women from writing you. Sure it is cool that you say you won't exclude everyone else , but who wants to feel like a second choice?
That statement only makes sense if you truly will only date those with light brown hair and were trying to exclude those who aren't. Saying more is only good when what your saying appeals to the opposite sex. Exclusions don't.

I don't get it shirley. your advice is not reflected in your profile. is it different for guys?

Of course it is different for guys. In fact, no 2 people are the same. Understand that "advice" given here is in addition to being highly subjective, highly individual. I often will give advice that I myself don't follow because I feel it is in the best interest of the poster. It isn't always advisable to practice what is preached with POF!
 rca4377
Msg: 16
review the prof
Posted: 3/30/2019 2:47:29 PM
Thanks Joe. I can see why someone copied your profile. T-34 tank could be anywhere from the Elbe to the Urals.
 rca4377
Msg: 17
review the prof
Posted: 3/31/2019 8:28:47 AM
Added t-shirt and formal pics. I think I'm done for now. Thanks to all for help.
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 18
view profile
History
review the prof
Posted: 3/31/2019 8:42:01 AM
Love the smiling pic. Much better~

BTW, I'm baking a peach pie right now---SaraLee's best recipe!

Alas too far away and too old for you~

;-)
 rca4377
Msg: 19
review the prof
Posted: 3/31/2019 9:08:09 AM
interesting and thanks~
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > review the prof