Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Happiness, as a state does not exist      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BJC2012
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Happiness, as a state does not existPage 1 of 1    
Happiness is best expressed as a carrot on a string, a motivator of human behavior. Why do we brush our teeth? Is the act pleasurable? No, it's to avoid discoloration and decay of our teeth. Happiness only relates to a lack or lessening of suffering, for example e.g.; "I'm happy my House payment is paid up" Happiness in this context is the lessening of anxiety over the house payment. There is no separate concept behind it. Suffering on the other hand as a concept does not require happiness to present itself. One can be not expressly "happy" and still be dealt hardship and burden.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Happiness, as a state does not exist
Posted: 4/4/2019 12:49:59 PM
"I'm happy my House payment is paid up" Happiness in this context is the lessening of anxiety over the house payment.

If this is true...perhaps...the emotion is being misidentified or over simplified. :)
 Jay6598
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2019 10:43:58 PM
Well, if you look to eastern religions, they will say that happiness can be achieved no matter what's going on.
Western religions pretty much say what you just said up there, that it's the suffering we have to deal with and when the suffering lessens up a little we might be happy-ier...
Or there's happiness after paying off your mortgage, yes is a lessening of the anxiety and it's also realizing a goal and it's also going to free up some of your money so you can maybe take that beach vacation and you can sit there and be happy.

Happiness of course does exist. It is moments of Joy. And to me, they are so crystal clear, so all encompassing that they are worth the wait and it's why we struggle to get there. again and again.
 purrfectionately
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2019 6:40:58 AM
Mind, body, soul spirit, and environment combined can create contentment through balance and hard work.
My personal philosophies about happiness are derived from what the heart desires.

Nurture the heart and happiness shall abound.
 Inicia
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2019 8:14:59 PM
You know in the context you present for "happiness" Indeed it's a lessening of an anxiety . However: "I'm happy to spend time with You" , Expressed has nothing to do with lessening , or addressing discomfort or anxiety . And maybe in that case it's enjoyment. Yet we express that as happiness . So in the context you are speaking, and in the way you perceive it coincides with its definition and origin. The word correlate with happenstance. Which is a situation "Moment" so no it does not Equal a state ,It is conditional on the moment For the time frame . A tt for the day You understand the English language , ????If more people understood this There would be less overall dissatisfaction With conditions of life .

I do believe constant pursual of ""happy" in every situation and finding a positive is a very dangerous for overall mental health and healthy existence and functioning in society . Negatives and burdens, as as you(the OP") stated do exist. Believing we must find some "Happy" in such often unattainable goal, creating feelings of inadequacy. . At times lying and presenting opposite of our Emotional status or hiding it.. ie being afraid to express our disappointment,frustration, anger, hurt. this positive facade, Devalues the honesty and humanity needed to develop rich personal intimate relations. We are not emotionless technological automated Beings : And why would that even be a desirable condition?

For myself Satisfaction and contentment With my life Is the countenance I choose. rather than stating"I am happy in the situation" , i feel "i am happy with me", lol my situation: "satisfied" i brought myself to it, and "content"my choices can change it. . I avoid complacency, stagnation, i feel those are self detrimental.. It doesn't matter what Unfortunate or Sad events happen ; the satisfaction with my life does not change.

Another issue is Often we assume other people are responsible For (santa's flying in) " making us happy"that's not the case .We are responsible for our own emotions. And at times we blame other people when a situation makes us unhappy: Especially in relationships. While sometimes relationships aren't fulfilling and never will be. We often are not willing to do the work on ourselves To allow us to find contentment with another human being. The first real humanity , and we dump them like a hot potato .
Their flaws, our own flaws or emotional struggles , ups and downs."that" which need not be mentioned . "Be up or Shut up": current social climate. For intimacy we need work through and with these rebuked emotions. Expecting buttercups, sunshine, cupcakes, and rainbows everyday is not reality, its a hollywood fantasy:There are crappy days, sometimes, a lot of them . e
Embracing other human beings fully develops Intimacy.
However , I'm not saying to unhealthily express those emotions or be the brunt of an others anger frustration and/or hostility. It takes skill: we must not use those emotions degrade or damage other human beings, Especially the ones we are learning to love . That is work : Personal Introspection ; growth, development And learning From this introspection and understanding Yourself To communicate honestly Absent of defensive, protective, Prideful agenda . taaaahll order!! lol
 Inicia
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2019 10:15:03 AM
^^
understanding Yourself
post hoc. edit replace W/understanding our /oneself or self, offense and self exclusion was not intended, i struggle with this also!
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Happiness, as a state does not exist