Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > why snap chat filters or old pics      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dynamicones
Msg: 1
view profile
History
why snap chat filters or old picsPage 1 of 1    
So I met (on here) this woman, we talk a lot, at some point she offers to send me another pic but warns me most guys quit talking to her after that, we're in text or something by then. So I tell her to send it and she does and I realize why most men quit talking to her. I tell her she's posted a pic of when she's like 25, at this time she's 40? So basically she's started off with a lie. I have her take a bunch of new pics and send to me and I chose what she should post and why. we remained in communication and she was engaged within a year.
And yes I know guys do this as well but never understood it. Why would anybody think this is going to end well?
 ontheotherhand
Msg: 2
view profile
History
why snap chat filters or old pics
Posted: 4/8/2019 10:26:49 AM
Just to clarify something for you - women aren't the only ones using old pictures.

As for why people do it my guess is they are hoping that once they have a foot in the door you will overlook the deceit because you like them enough thru the communication you've already had. People who do this are expecting to be rejected, or have been, for what they look like or they wouldn't feel the need to hide who they are.
 dynamicones
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2019 10:55:18 AM
just to clarify for you, I said that
"And yes I know guys do this as well but never understood it."
 ontheotherhand
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2019 11:22:15 AM
My mistake. Sorry. I guess I'm sick of seeing pics of guys in my age group putting up pictures of themselves in their twenties or their possessions instead of themselves.
 Carrolllll5858
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2019 2:58:51 PM
I come across the same problems when younger people around my age group. Yeah a lot I add on Snapchat will use filters because they hate how they look or have no make up on. And I seen plenty where they would have a 5 year old picture on there profile and look completely different (as in weight gains).

But like the OP person said, they probably do it to try selling there selves to have a chance.
 spectravision
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2019 4:55:16 PM
Plenty around here(my way). In fact, It's brimming with Women with Pics from years back, and us Men do tell our friends when they join. But to be fair they're the time waster's looking for the magazine guy they're told they should have and think holding out is going to work lmao.

If they have one joke snap chat filter pic taking piss that's fine. But all of the images. How retarded.

I really like Women with less makeup and We all look like shit in the morning :)
 jessebunnies
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2019 9:43:50 AM
First I have to say that no one looks exactly like their pictures. Some people look better, some people look worse. Online creates a lot of false expectations in general but it's what you have to deal with!

People in a way are trying to sell themselves, to get the best possible thing. Furthermore who posts their picture of themselves looking at their worst when they haven't shown people their best? Is it wrong? Yes & No. It's not wrong in that you are trying to get what you feel you're worth, it is wrong in the sense that you're not giving the other person a choice. Posting old pictures maybe ensures that they attract someone of what they perceive as attractive to them. So for instance I ran across my ex's brothers profile on Tinder. He said he was 5 years younger than he really is. This is of course to attract women who are also younger. Guys lie about their height and women about their weight so they won't be excluded from having someone they are attracted to or what they generally want. Online is a judgmental world just how it is.
 celeste_bella
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2019 4:12:33 PM
I would never use Snapchat filters. I'm not a conformist.

Since just about everyone owns a mobile phone, there is no reason to not take a bunch of photos and use the better ones for a profile.
 spot4username
Msg: 9
view profile
History
speechless
Posted: 4/10/2019 4:13:01 PM
Oy

The irony.

It burns.
 _Cinnamon__Girl_
Msg: 10
view profile
History
speechless
Posted: 4/12/2019 6:43:15 AM
On another dating site, I did post a pic of myself taken just after waking up in the morning, no make-up.
I got quite a few "likes" for that pic, which really surprised me. I woke up without red eyes that day, and hair wasn't messed up too badly, so I took a chance.
Quite a lot of guys post pics of themselves with total bedheaad, and having not shaved for a few days. And don't get me started on the shirtless-in-bed pics so many post.
 cooldog65
Msg: 11
view profile
History
speechless
Posted: 4/12/2019 8:03:06 PM

Oy

The irony.

It burns.

ssm508
Msg: 12
view profile
History
speechless
Posted: 4/20/2019 11:53:32 AM
People feel that they would get fewer emails and dates if they were more honest. Some people also have the misguided belief that other person may overlook the physical misrepresentation while on a date because of their personality. When I used OLD, I would take a bunch of pictures and have some female friends tell me which pictures they liked the best.
 flowersinthelake
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2019 3:59:04 AM
Men lie about their age, a lot, without the filters.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2019 11:09:24 AM

This allows you to quote a previous post.

You meant, women lie about their age a lot as well, I assume.

Plenty of women lying about age on OLD in the hopes of being viewed by a younger audience. In fact, often the women updates in her profile something a long the lines that she made a mistake when making the account. YEAH RIGHT! How c an that happen so often?

Either they feel guilty about the lie or been called out on it. What is disturbing is that these women are extremely lazy that they couldn't just make a new account so they keep the account with the incorrect age. At least men make new accounts, I assume.

That being said, if she looks ok I think most men probably don't care! There isn't equality here lol
 BendingBough19
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/30/2019 6:14:25 PM
Joe, I see profiles from men who say the same thing regarding a mistake when creating the account. I agree, it cannot p0ssibly happen that often.
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2019 6:24:47 PM

In fact, often the women updates in her profile something along the lines that she made a mistake when making the account.

What is disturbing is that these women are extremely lazy

What's even more disturbing is how many of them also go on about how honesty and integrity are so important to them in their lives and relationships.

What's that?
Oh, you told us you were lying, so that makes it OK?
How about not lying in the first place.

Then your claim about honesty and integrity will have more credibility.
 Mercedes_Me
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2019 4:11:20 AM
I'm blown away how the admin allow men to have pics of the ocean or cartoon pics & the list goes on

If you don't have a pic of yourself your either married or in a relationship..
 2ufo
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2019 6:43:12 AM

Why would anybody think this is going to end well?

Because most people like their delusions.
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2019 12:44:20 PM

Because most people like their delusions.

"In America, you have the right to be stupid."

- John Kerry, speaking to a gathering of students in Germany in 2013.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2019 10:55:33 AM
^^He should have rephrased it with " In America, you have the right to be stupid and the President"(any politician)
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2019 10:58:12 AM

"In America, you have the right to be stupid."

And this right is exercised more than any other in the country.

And done.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > why snap chat filters or old pics