Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Dogs in the Workplace      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Dogs in the WorkplacePage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I have a new boss who brings two small dogs to work. They bark loudly and often scare the living crap out of me. I can't complain because the HR person adores the dogs, takes them for walks, looks after them, and was quickly elevated to HR from reception when the dog boss started. I'm constantly afraid I'm going to trip over one of the little +×÷=ers. I'm scared to leave my office. They lick my feet D:

Am I evil? Are there any dog lovers who think this situation might be unreasonable?
 _Cinnamon__Girl_
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Dogs in the Workplace
Posted: 4/12/2019 9:22:42 PM
No, you're not evil.
It's inappropriate to bring dogs to work. I have dealt with co-workers and bosses bringing both big and small dogs to a job, and it's just stupid. Had a job interview once where the manager's little rat dogs jumped on my legs and ran my hose.
Tripped and fell over a co-workers great big dog in a dark room.
Put some capsaicin cream on your feet. Maybe that will keep them away.
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Dogs in the Workplace
Posted: 4/12/2019 11:59:04 PM
OMG what kind of inhumane evil creature are you?!?
My manager sometimes brings her little pooch into work. It’s a pug, it’s cute cos it’s all barky when you’re walking away trying to sound like a guard dog but when you turn and face her she runs away. I stepped back on to her the other day and she yelped. Move stupid dog.
I’ve little respect for people who can’t keep their dogs under manners. Don’t have them.
Jumping up you is not acceptable. Licking your feet? Admit.....you like it :)
 spectravision
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Dogs in the Workplace
Posted: 4/13/2019 4:18:41 AM

Am I evil? Are there any dog lovers who think this situation might be unreasonable?

There is a place in hell just waiting for you

But seriously, No. Dogs don't belong in a workplace.

I've worked where friends brought in their dog. He was a rescued dog so let it slide. I secretly wanted to steal him :). I would get some clean material put one side in my mouth the other in its and we fight tug of war.

but..

I had my hairdresser bring a dog in and all it did was bark as it was a pup.

They lost my business instantly. The haircut wasn't the best, and I'm not paying to hear it.

The last thing I want is someone with half their attention, if any, cutting my hair. 3 months on, and the dog is still there daily, and I know they're losing business to my new hairdresser which is a fiver cheaper. Win, and it was a very good haircut.
 trinity818
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Dogs in the Workplace
Posted: 4/13/2019 6:50:53 AM
I had a job where my co-worker was allowed to bring her very large Rhodesian Ridgeback to work. He was a very good dog, and I am an animal lover. Unfortunately, she did not bathe him often enough.

We shared an office, and the smell was enough to make your eyes water and gag you.

I couldn't believe the owner allowed that. But then, she didn't have to sit there and smell it all day. UGH.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Dogs in the Workplace
Posted: 4/13/2019 8:43:00 AM
I was hoping someone here would be able to talk me down, but I'm just getting angry on behalf of everyone who has had to endure these experiences. And I do NOT like them licking my feet, and I feel that I have a right to not be touched in any way in which I do not want to be touched. Sometimes I wonder what would happen if I crawled around the office licking people's feet. And piddling on the floor. Would people call me adorable?
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Dogs in the Workplace
Posted: 4/13/2019 9:47:24 AM
Tbh you are adorable, and you on all fours with your leg up? Well, I’ll let someone else discuss.......:)

#metoo on behalf of all the people molested by office dogs
Dogs in the Workplace
Posted: 4/13/2019 9:48:56 AM
Hahahaha.....buy a bottle of bear urine and rub it all over the walls, carpet and furniture in your office. The scent will evaporate quickly so you won't smell it, but the dogs will still smell it and stay away.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 9
view profile
History
#metoo
Posted: 4/13/2019 10:10:11 AM
Thank-you everyone for your support. I feel safe disclosing here that sometimes I have intrusive mental images of myself doing very bad things to the dogs.
 FFS38
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Dogs in the Workplace
Posted: 4/13/2019 10:14:17 AM

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if I crawled around the office licking people's feet.

You might be surprised.

And piddling on the floor. Would people call me adorable?

If that was their niche they'd probably call you whatever you wanted them to.
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Dogs in the Workplace
Posted: 4/13/2019 10:33:15 AM
Baby that’s misplaced anger.....bad things to owners I say :)

Whatsamattababy
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Dogs in the Workplace
Posted: 4/13/2019 10:48:26 AM
The owner... One of the first things she did as my boss was write a letter for my file requesting that I be professional in all interractions with staff. WHAT THE FUK. I really really want to frame the letter and hang it in my office, but I've been advised against it :(

As a peace offering, I asked if the doggies might like some chocolate. But she has zero sense of humour.
 backcreek7
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Dogs in the Workplace
Posted: 4/13/2019 11:51:04 AM
^^
... Bring in a " bug zapper " & a " dead wasp " to work and hide them in your wide top drawer. When the playful pup comes near, flick the dead wasp onto the back of the dog and scream > " OMG OMG !!! a wasp is going to sting the poor lil' puppy, OMG !!! " > then zap the furry lil' f-er & see it exit the area, at the speed of light !!! ... If this doesn't keep the barkin' mongrels away permanently, repeat scenario until effective, col ( chuckle out loud )

ps 1 -whatsamatter ? I would be honored if you would post a favorite song of yours in " playlist " > as I have always appreciated your posts here, therefore figure your music tastes are " A - OK " as well ...

ps 2 - If using the zapper on the dogs doesn't work, as a last resort > try using it on the owner ( don't forget to throw the dead wasp on um' first )

... heart / zap the lil' f-ers / sun ...
 spectravision
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Dogs in the Workplace
Posted: 4/13/2019 2:11:25 PM

The owner... One of the first things she did as my boss was write a letter for my file requesting that I be professional in all interractions with staff. WHAT THE FUK. I really really want to frame the letter and hang it in my office, but I've been advised against it :(

As a peace offering, I asked if the doggies might like some chocolate. But she has zero sense of humour.

I'm pretty sure it is a health and safety issue, hence, not covered by business insurance if someone was to be bitten by said dog. Love animals/hate people lol

I'd send a anon email to her higher ups and school her in the art of fookery. Call your equivalent of Environmental Health in the UK.

She tried her shit with you? Its game on!

Don't listen to Vodka me. I don't talk sense, but its great fun :)
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Dogs in the Workplace
Posted: 4/13/2019 2:24:29 PM
The higher ups are the Board of Directors, and they don't seem to mind her bringing the little darlings into board meetings. My only recourse is to engage in passive-aggressive behaviours like walking around the office whistling the tunes of "Joe Hill", "Old King", and the "Kill Bill" theme song. Nobody catches on, but I crack myself up.
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 16
Dogs in the Workplace
Posted: 4/13/2019 2:48:53 PM
Seems to me a more appropriate song would be the theme song to "Old Yeller"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyGCj00UBU8
 purplerider1200
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Dogs in the Workplace
Posted: 4/14/2019 5:02:54 PM
There's a product called "No!" and it's sold at most garden shops and pet stores. Spray your shoes with it, and I'd say within a month, the dogs will leave your feet alone.

Since I go from place to place working, I usually encounter people's animals. Most of the time, aggressive dogs get locked up while I'm at their residents. The friendly ones, I ply with dog biscuits, just to get on their good sides. A few, will pester the life out of me because I'm handing out treats.

Cats, on the otherhand, can be downright hilarious if they get friendly with me. It was quite funny for one young cat to be in the bathroom cabinet with me as I worked on the plumbing. ( My neck was nice and warm as he laid across it, purring in my ear, watching me work)

Critters can be a mixed bag sometimes. They're like working with people. Some can be really good, some are just stinko.
 2ufo
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Dogs in the Workplace
Posted: 4/15/2019 9:46:35 AM
I like dogs.
I love well-behaved dogs... but that does take a lot of time and consistent training.

Make a mix of water, vodka, citrus essential oil, vinegar and put it in a spray bottle. (I'm sure you can google the recipe - it's a lot of water with medium vodka/alcohol and vinegar along with a few drops of the citrus).
Put it in a spray bottle and zap the critter (but not in the eyes) when it's doing what you don't want. Alternately, spray around your work area and they will eventually learn to avoid it.

If your boss objects, simply say that you checked with a dog trainer and this doesn't hurt the animal in any way. Or switch to a citrus-based perfume around your ankles.

If you want and have the time (though sometimes you can train a trick in a very short time)… take a few pea-size doggie treats and when it comes to your office give it the treat when it sits or leaves (toss the treat in front of it). Extend the time it sits before treating. Have it sit at the entry to your area rather than at your feet. That way when the dog is around you it will more likely sit and focus on you (since you're the treatmaster) than run around, jump, bark.

As for barking... I don't know. Our dogs have always been large and not very bark-y (German Shepherds, Chows, Kerry Blue).
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 19
view profile
History
the dogs want to sniff my dogs
Posted: 4/15/2019 9:48:23 AM
purple is right about "no". its probably nicer than a squirt gun full of water to train the pups with. and if anyone asks, you can say the can of no is for all the guys who ask you out.

i get the bigger concern is a lack of representation at work for grievances. i used to work at a family business that hired the daughter to be the HR dept. she was boy crazy, and often bent over to pick something up to reveal if she was wearing a thong or not that morning. we'd joke we just got sexually harassed by the HR dept.
 cooldog65
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2019 6:54:52 PM
This whole dogs in the workplace thing has gotten out of hand. It seems that people have this entitlement mentality that they can bring their dogs everywhere. Same thing regarding babies and toddlers.

The workplace is for working adults only. Keep the pets out!
Posted: 4/16/2019 6:41:26 AM
I completely understand having pets and loving them. I really, really do. But I am sick to death of people who worship them and have made them the center of their entire universe. Sometimes I wonder if it's all a big show to make up for the fact they really have nothing else about themselves that's particularly interesting, and simply rely on their pets to reel in attention.
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2019 7:44:39 AM
its trendy now for couples to have a pet before they have kids, like its a trial phase. if it wasn't for my allergies, i'd have a rescue. but, the workplace is the workplace. its not a location for you to work out your childhood issues, as i've seen too many attempt. its not a meat market. its either a place to earn money or make a career.
 cooldog65
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2019 10:17:56 AM

I completely understand having pets and loving them. I really, really do. But I am sick to death of people who worship them and have made them the center of their entire universe. Sometimes I wonder if it's all a big show to make up for the fact they really have nothing else about themselves that's particularly interesting, and simply rely on their pets to reel in attention.

I don't take a backseat to pets. Speaking of pets, do you still have that kitten? 😺

its trendy

That's a four letter word to me...
Posted: 4/16/2019 11:03:47 AM

Speaking of pets, do you still have that kitten? 😺

Yes. Cane is a full grown hellion now, and I don't require women to love cats in order for me to date them.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2019 11:41:38 AM
My proverbial God:

Some of the most profitable businesses in the world allow their workers to bring dogs to the workplace. It's up to a business owner/manager and landlord to determine whether or not dogs, well behaved or not, are allowed in a company's office. The incredible universal arrogance some of you have demonstrated here in declaring dogs don't belong in any workplace should make almost anyone question how flexible you're capable of being when it comes to any kind of relationship.

If anything in your workplace bothers you you do have options. You can be a stoic and ignore life's little trivialities like this. You can make an effort to be part of the solution and do your best to bond with your coworkers and make the required effort earn the dog's love, respect, and subsequent obedience. Or you can quit your job. If you're unwilling to quit I would suggest a dose of humility and willingness to help improve the situation is in order.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Dogs in the Workplace