Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Notre Dame      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Notre DamePage 1 of 1    
What shame and what a shock. I lived in Paris way back, can't say I liked Notre Dame. Dark and forbidding I thought. Sacre Coeur is much better and one of the very few places I have ever felt spiritual.

However what does shock me is that here is yet another fire which happened whilst building work was going on. how many other places has that happened to? The Cutty Sark, Rene McKintosh building in Glasgow (twice), Windsor Castle Chapel I think it was.

Surely when you are mucking about with this stuff on what must be many many millions of pounds of renovations the thing you must do is have firewardens in place full time with hoses already set up?
 vlad dracul
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Notre Dame
Posted: 4/16/2019 4:05:00 AM
Chapster
"However what does shock me is that here is yet another fire which happened whilst building work was going on. how many other places has that happened to? The Cutty Sark, Rene McKintosh building in Glasgow (twice), Windsor Castle Chapel I think it was.

Surely when you are mucking about with this stuff on what must be many many millions of pounds of renovations the thing you must do is have firewardens in place full time with hoses already set up?"

It is tragic that such a historic building went up in flames. Christians around the world will feel it no doubt.

But i think a lot of those 'accidents' are down to cost cutting. Usually big government contracts are a veritable money tree. But most work these days consist of a main contractor whose name goes up outside.

However the sub contractors then compete against each other and to cut costs they then cut corners.

The firms still want to make a good wedge so they squeeze the tradesmen.

The tradesmen still want a wage so they cut corners. Take chances.

I'm not sure how large projects work in france to be fair. But i know many tradesmen who worked on the Scottish parliament building.

Oak floors were laid. The heating was left on. The floors warped. The floors were lifted and had to be done again.

No doubt some tradesman will be blamed at some point. But to me it is obvious if it WAS down to work practises then the site agents and main contractors must take their share of the blame.
 Strider886
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Notre Dame
Posted: 4/16/2019 11:27:27 PM
What the media isn't telling us, is that there have been (I think) at least 4 arson attacks on Churches and Christian buildings in the north of France this year alone.
 try1more
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Notre Dame
Posted: 4/16/2019 11:58:20 PM
^^^
i think you'll find it's more like 12
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Notre Dame
Posted: 4/17/2019 2:11:54 AM
So sad to see the pictures. So much damage.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Notre Dame