Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Why do I get more responses when I say something stupid?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Kokanee_Ice
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Why do I get more responses when I say something stupid?Page 1 of 1    
I’ve been on online dating sites for over 12 years, and have tried almost every kind of opening message you can think of. It seems that women often pay more attention to you when you use a stupid pickup line like, “Hey baby, let’s go to Vegas.” I’ve tried mentioning to women that I’ve read their profile, I’m interested in the same social issues that they are, and I’d be happy to have an intelligent conversation with them. I mentioned that we studied the same thing in university, or that we have similar values and political views. I’ve never gotten a response from a well-written message. I’ve even tried asking women on here if they enjoy having intellectual conversations. The only responses I got were, “No.” Do women really want a man who makes an effort to have be interesting? If these women do exist, I think I’ll probably have to go out in the real world to find one.
 ontheotherhand
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Why do I get more responses when I say something stupid?
Posted: 4/21/2019 2:46:44 PM
My guess would be that with all the "hey, sexy, beautiful, etc" or being told the profile has been read messages women get that something silly makes you stand out. It also looks as though you have a sense of humor. I don't believe the recepient believes you're offering a trip, just a fresh approach.
 Kokanee_Ice
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2019 3:07:06 PM
^^^ Bingo. They think it’s funny. Humour will often peak more interest than an intellectual conversation.
 ontheotherhand
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2019 3:39:44 PM
Bingo?

Humor is a comfortable ice breaker. If you can't eventually transition to a serious conversation then I'd say that person isn't right for you.
 AnxiousCrustacean
Msg: 5
Posted: 4/21/2019 6:47:10 PM

Bingo?

Just an expression. Similar to "Aha!", " That's it!", "You hit the nail on the head!"
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2019 11:28:30 AM

Humor is a comfortable ice breaker.

It used to work much better overall in the glory days of OLD.

Now it mostly works well when it is accompanied with photos of a 6 foot tall male model driving a $1,4 million Ferrari LaFerrari.

Glory days
Yeah they'll pass you by
Glory days
In the wink of a young girl's eye
Glory days
 Kokanee_Ice
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2019 12:58:55 AM
^^^ Women are living in Lalaland if they think that they’re entitled to a 6’0 male model who drives a $1.4 million Ferrari.
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2019 6:13:41 AM
msg#7:
^^^ Women are living in Lalaland if they think that they’re entitled to a 6’0 male model who drives a $1.4 million Ferrari.

That's just 'fullmoonguy2's standard answer to the age old question---"What do women want?"

;-)

Just FYI~
 spectravision
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2019 6:26:37 AM
^^ As the young lady said

Standard.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2019 6:53:55 AM
I think prefacing something with "entitled" is an excuse to take the attention away from what someone else is lacking.
Everyone is "entitled" to meet someone who is tall...and if they have money...so what?
Being tall and having money doesn't put someone out of my league...thank you very much.
 Kokanee_Ice
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2019 8:46:53 AM
^^^ But if they’re living in Lalaland, they are entitled to it. Don’t forget, in Lalaland everybody drives a Ferrari and looks like a model.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2019 1:25:10 PM

Women are living in Lalaland if they think that they’re entitled to a 6’0 male model who drives a $1.4 million Ferrari

They are, and you are entitled as well...if you can get it. We are ALL entitled to what we can get. In USA we aren't guaranteed happiness, but the pursuit of happiness is fair game
Posted: 4/23/2019 1:44:09 PM
I've always said one is entitled to whatever they can reel in. Sure, a morbidly obese woman demanding a physically fit man is laughable on the surface, but if she can actually land one, what can you say??
 FFS38
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Why do I get more responses when I say something that isn't an overused cliché
Posted: 4/23/2019 1:54:18 PM

I’ve been on online dating sites for over 12 years, and have tried almost every kind of opening message you can think of. It seems that women often pay more attention to you when you use a stupid pickup line like, “Hey baby, let’s go to Vegas.” I’ve tried mentioning to women that I’ve read their profile, I’m interested in the same social issues that they are, and I’d be happy to have an intelligent conversation with them. I mentioned that we studied the same thing in university, or that we have similar values and political views. I’ve never gotten a response from a well-written message. I’ve even tried asking women on here if they enjoy having intellectual conversations. The only responses I got were, “No.” Do women really want a man who makes an effort to have be interesting? If these women do exist, I think I’ll probably have to go out in the real world to find one.

I don't think stupid would be the right term here, you're just attempting to say something outside of the box that she hasn't already heard a thousand times, and it really does work as I too have had some far better (more natural) exchanges with women that started that way.
Maybe try to seek out sapiophiles as you'll probably have more luck with them than your average glamour puss who will often answer deep questions with "yes" and "no".
Interestingly, though you will find many women who describe themselves as sapiophiles, you'd probably be hard pushed to find many men describe themselves that way.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2019 2:20:02 PM
What I find more interesting is how you can have a extremely boring 'small talk' texting convo of maybe 2 sentences a day dragging on for a week or more, finding out essentially NOTHING about the person --- and then you say something deliberately to pi$$ them off -- and they proceed to send a 45 minute blizzard of angry texts -- message after message explaining more of her life story than I would ever care to know, and how I don't 'deserve' someone like her.

--- They won't make the connection that their conversation was exciting as stale toast - until you light it on fire.

Granted, it's not good at creating a new dating relationship --- but sometimes you get the best light from a burning bridge.
Posted: 4/23/2019 2:27:08 PM

What I find more interesting is how you can have a extremely boring 'small talk' texting convo of maybe 2 sentences a day dragging on for a week or more,

A week or more?!?! Making arrangements to meet should occur the first day.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2019 2:37:58 PM

Yeah, no kidding. I don't attempt to communicate more with flakes like that, but sometimes they reply back a week later and don't even see the time code on the message from LAST Wednesday and think I just sent it. That's when you start yanking chains - because unless they start showing SERIOUS conversational engagement, they will never be more than ghosts in the machine.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2019 5:02:16 AM

and then you say something deliberately to pi$$ them off -- and they proceed to send a 45 minute blizzard of angry texts -- message after message explaining more of her life story than I would ever care to know,

Because, as discussed in other thread, its a dating game! Roll the dice and move and you landed on lalaland. Negging is part of the game. Most women are emotional creatures( I don't mean CREATURES literally so leave me alone lol) and they will respond to something that sets them off passionately, regardless if it is paise or criticism. It doesn't have to be a dating situation either, just observe how they banter with each other.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2019 8:37:28 AM

It's interesting to me the different thoughts on this.
I also prefer to set up meetings ASAP...I can't see wasting time "getting to know" someone by talking to them and then meeting them and finding out they were using their online persona the whole time.

Others like to talk for a while to get a sense of the person or to find out everything about him or to get a feeling for him or something...I don't know.

Speaking for myself, my attention span is such that I suck as a penpal or a text buddy. I don't mind talking on the phone, but I'll hang up as soon as a squirrel that interests me passes by.
 wood_smell_as_sweet
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2019 9:22:35 AM
adventurejoe70, give me an example of what you mean by negging being part of the dating game. If you treat a woman disrespectfully, that could backfire on you. Some women won't put up with that b.s.
Posted: 4/24/2019 10:53:20 AM

Others like to talk for a while to get a sense of the person or to find out everything about him or to get a feeling for him or something.

I don't know anyone personally who does this anymore. The catfish phenomenon changed everything.

I know there are a few stubborn f*cks who probably prefer to do it the old way, and they probably wonder why they end up getting ghosted.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Why do I get more responses when I say something stupid?