Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Opinions from ladies on men wearing glasses please      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FFS38
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Opinions from ladies on men wearing glasses please Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Though I was prescribed glasses way back when at high school I never wore them 24 hours, just for watching movies etc things like that, my near sight was fine and always has been but I would have to squint to see number plates, bus numbers in the distance, that kind of thing, so I got by fine.
I've seen many friends in my social circle beginning to wear them as they got into their late thirties and though I never wanted to I'm starting to succumb to the idea that I may eventually need to.
We live in far different and more accepting times now but when I was at school spectacled kids were always mocked or insulted (called foureyes), bullied or called swots, wearing them ruled out any interest from girls or hanging out with the cooler kids and I picked up on that hence I would never be seen in public wearing mine.

So my question is how much of an impact do they have on a person's physical attractiveness, do they narrow down your 'dating pool' so to speak, or can they be an asset to some people's features. Are there any famous people (that women find attractive) that carry them off well as examples?
Opinions from ladies on men wearing glasses please
Posted: 4/25/2019 4:54:27 AM
The days of "glasses are only for nerds" have been long gone.

It's all about picking the right frames for your face. The first pair of glasses I got back in 2001 weren't the best for me, and I didn't receive very many compliments on them. My second pair, it was a far different story. I got compliments left and right. The frames were rectangular and semi-rimless.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2019 6:42:00 AM
Yeah, glasses are a fashion statement now.
There weren't that many choices back in school days, but nowadays, all the designers are in on the glasses market so there are some awesome ones.

I need glasses for distance only. I wear mono contacts sometimes, but mostly I have glasses I take on and off as necessary. It's only a pain at the bookstore. During my day job, I don't wear them.

I recently got new ones that look old to me...but everyone tells me they look nice.
I'm not sold on them yet. But no one has said ewwwwwwwwbies when they see them.

I didn't know people worried about wearing glasses.
But then I didn't know people worried about being too short either.
 ontheotherhand
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2019 9:56:53 AM
I know it's just an illusion, but we tend to see people in glasses as intelligent. Intelligence without arrogance is sexy.
 julystorm22
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2019 10:49:51 AM
Nothing wrong with glasses. Some guys actually look better with glasses because they give you a more responsible look.
 spectravision
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2019 10:59:21 AM
Women are more likely to get annoyed at leaving your socks on
Posted: 4/25/2019 11:11:55 AM
I have found that rectangular frames are generally the best for most face shapes if you're going for a contemporary look. Then there are the bigger and more round retro frames that most of the hipster crowd seems to gravitate toward.
 cooldog65
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2019 11:16:30 AM
Say no to the hipster douchebag glasses, beard and skinny jeans...
 FFS38
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2019 11:16:53 AM

The days of "glasses are only for nerds" have been long gone.

Thank you, these were my feelings on them too, good to see it confirmed in writing.

It's all about picking the right frames for your face. The first pair of glasses I got back in 2001 weren't the best for me, and I didn't receive very many compliments on them. My second pair, it was a far different story. I got compliments left and right. The frames were rectangular and semi-rimless.

Been thinking this too, just like a certain hairstyle on a lady will complement them more than another depending on their face shape.

Yeah, glasses are a fashion statement now.
There weren't that many choices back in school days, but nowadays, all the designers are in on the glasses market so there are some awesome ones.

This is what I found with my first pair too, here in the UK we were issued with national health service one's which made you look like a killer or a sex fiend.

I know it's just an illusion, but we tend to see people in glasses as intelligent.

Yeah strange collation that, as I mentioned in my first post they were seen as swots in my schooldays, I'm guessing the connection would have been made to them reading books a lot rather than getting out there and experiencing real life, getting into trouble etc
 wood_smell_as_sweet
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2019 11:18:12 AM
Men's retro glasses from the 1960s are my favorite. I like the horn rim "nerd" glasses on men. I wear cat eye frame glasses and get loads of compliments on them.
 spectravision
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2019 11:19:09 AM
I get what he means when we were kids that the frames were thick and nasty brown over here.

I've not given it any thought to be fair in the last 30 years. It's a case of like it or lump it.
 MeramecRiverRat
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2019 10:41:05 AM
I'm no lady, and probably wouldn't be one even if I were female.

Hipsters ruined glasses the same way they ruined beards, flannel shirts, Chuck Taylor shoes, Pabst Blue Ribbon, various music, and other things that were better before hipsters made them a fad.

Apparently some hipsters with excellent vision wear glasses with non-altering plastic/glass just for fun / fashion.

The woman most likely to disapprove of you wearing glasses that let you see well would be an ugly one who would look better as a blur!

Removing glasses for profile photos is a good idea so the camera glare doesn't hide your eyes. But it's good to have glasses photos as well as non glasses ones so they know what you look like on a regular basis.

My favorite glasses are from 2001. They're the NASCAR brand. Rimless, barely visible. The sales girl tried to steer me into Calvin Klein unisex frames. I told her I definitely wouldn't be interested in the Calvins, but she insisted I try them on. As I expected, I didn't like them. My newest pair (not in any photos yet) looks like thousands of others on the street. The one in between is practical and good for long distance vision but is the type the hipsters hijacked.

Maybe have a trusted female friend join you at the glasses selection, someone who isn't afraid to be honest if a pair makes you look old or otherwise less attractive.
 wood_smell_as_sweet
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2019 12:06:25 PM
"The woman most likely to disapprove of you wearing glasses that let you see well would be an ugly one who would look better as a blur!"

Just because a woman doesn't like a man's prescription eyeglass frames, it doesn't mean she's ugly. It just means that she and the man have different tastes. Some people do wear glasses with frames that are very outdated and haven't been back in style for many years, the same as clothing.
 Kokanee_Ice
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2019 1:45:06 PM

Some people do wear glasses with frames that are very outdated and haven't been back in style for many years, the same as clothing.

Coke bottle glasses?
 spectravision
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2019 2:52:32 PM
^^ Jam jar bottoms for the win :)
 FFS38
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2019 3:42:51 PM
Thanks for the advice and opinions folks, I now have a clearer picture of what to look out for when that time comes.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2019 8:58:49 PM
why should anyone wearing glasses be a turn off. Okay if they are like coke bottles perhaps....At school it was a different matter years ago and children can be cruel. However, the fashion for the black rimmed spectacles that so many wear are not appealing in my opinion. You can get clear ones or in pretty pale colours that are very unobtrusive.
 grover14
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2019 10:08:54 AM
If you get rejected because you wear glasses, you're probably lucky because the person is so shallow.
 julystorm22
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2019 10:23:57 AM
I wear glasses about 50% of the time. And I've been told that glasses don't really suit me, that the transformation when I take them off is major. I have tried different frames and I think I just have a face that doesn't work with them.

I recall in Grade 8 when I got glasses. This boy called me poindexter about 10 times in the course of the day before I punched him in the stomach and then after that I would just keep them in my desk, only taking them out when I needed to copy off the blackboard. It wasn't until I was 16 that I started wearing them more when I got my driver's license. I got contacts too, when I was 16 but my eyes dry out if I wear them too long so I only can wear them about 8 to 10 hours a day.

I don't mind a lot of guys with glasses but I will say that some guys just don't look great in glasses. Some guys actually look better with glasses and it gives them a more smart, professional look.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2019 11:03:31 AM

If you get rejected because you wear glasses, you're probably lucky because the person is so shallow.

huh? Women reject men for a multitude of shallow reasons online. Having glasses is just one other possible reason, no different than any other.
 grover14
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2019 11:09:32 AM
Yes, Joe, I know that for sure, just look at my haircut! Well, at least I got rid of the glasses after cataract surgery.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2019 11:18:39 AM
Guys can get rejected for not crossing T's and not dotting I's even. Getting a date can be like getting paid a Daffy Duck insurance policy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwo0XHcYHBM
 BendingBough19
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/4/2019 9:04:56 PM
Since turning 52, I pretty much wear glasses all the time while working at the computer or during meetings. I can see without them, but it's much easier to see with them. I find them annoying on those rare occasions when I am trying to walk (so see for distance) and read at the same time (sometimes work is a little hectic and we have meetings on the go that necessitate that sort of thing) but I generally don't care. No one makes comments about whether I look better with them or without them although some have teased me about looking like a sexy librarian. I checked with the eye doctor re: corrective surgery and she said the need for readers would only increase with this so there is no point in pursuing surgery. In other words, I will put up with the annoyance of the "on the go meetings."

If you need glasses to see all the time, wear em'. Heck, seeing is pretty special. If I went out to dinner with someone and they rejected me for wearing glasses to see the menu, I would find it comical. Then again, I find many of the things that we judge each other over and reject each other for kind of comical.
 __TEXASCHICK__
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2019 9:37:47 PM
I have had to wear bifocals as of age 42. I am now 59.
I think most persons who wear the correct style look great.
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2019 5:14:04 AM
^^^
I think most persons who wear the correct style look great

+1

And there's nothing pretty about squinting, plus it gives you wrinkles!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Opinions from ladies on men wearing glasses please