Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Got back something else....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jay6598
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Got back something else....Page 1 of 1    
This is my second time trying this site. I genuinely would like to meet someone.

This time around I have my photos hidden in my efforts to fly under the creep radar. I search for gentlemen and if I come across someone
interesting I message them and send photos with the message. I sometimes get replies and sometimes not, which I find to be normal. So far it's been working ok for me.

Anyway, I messaged an older man, 63. His profile was well written, not too long, not too short, two photos, concise and with some sincerity. I received a response and what I got back was not well written, almost as if he's a foreigner/not overly familiar with the english language. He's asking me to send him my email and phone # so we can continue talking. He also described my written profile as heartfelt but mine's going the humorous route.
So, while I loath endless messaging, I also figure there needs to be at least some before I move to phone numbers. I mean if someone googled my number I'd eventually come up, name, address, all of it.
Has anyone else had this where the response doesn't quite fit the profile? I agree I am protective/cautious, am I too much so?
 am70sguy
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Got back something else....
Posted: 5/7/2019 12:53:44 AM
I loved your profile write-up, very humorous! I wouldn't give him any personal information. If that was the best he could do in response to your profile, and who could not say something that had some semblance of acknowledging they had read such a comical profile, and the the English is poor, that's not a good sign. I'd message more first.
 jerseynative7
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2019 9:51:25 AM
^^I agree. Do not give him your personal email address or tele number just yet. If his English or writing skills are poor, he may have had someone else write the profile for him, like a friend or family member.
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2019 10:15:56 AM

Has anyone else had this where the response doesn't quite fit the profile?

Yes.
There is a woman on here who I messaged several years ago.
She described herself as "easy-going" and a "go with the flow" type of person.
And then proceeded to spend 2 days arguing with me about why I should have my picture ON my profile, instead of sending it to people.
After finally giving up, she asked if I still wanted to send her my pic, I said no, and told her she had misrepresented herself as easy-going and "go with the flow", since that type of person would not have spent the time arguing about the picture. They would have just "gone with the flow".

I agree I am protective/cautious, am I too much so?

Not in this instance.
There's a red flag waving, and you need to pay it heed.
 _Cinnamon__Girl_
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2019 6:32:24 PM
Don't send your info.

Most of the time, scammers are super easy to spot, but occasionally I'm not sure.

In these cases I've said "Tell me something about our city that only someone who lives here would know."

That has worked for me.
 ontheotherhand
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2019 10:18:06 PM
With a well written profile, but getting a questionable message I wouldn't waste any more time on him.
 flowersinthelake
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2019 6:36:55 AM
I ignore those messages, full stop.
 __TEXASCHICK__
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2019 7:09:14 PM
Sounds like may be a Scammer.
 julystorm22
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2019 10:05:23 AM
I got a message from a guy not too long ago that I suspected was a scammer. So I asked him to tell me how many intersections in town there were traffic lights in. He answered wrong and answered subsequent questions not to my satisfaction. I don't give most guys the 3rd degree but he called me sweetie and right away I suspected he wasn't local.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Got back something else....