Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > The Catholic Church      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jay6598
Msg: 1
view profile
History
The Catholic ChurchPage 1 of 1    
The Catholic church has been in the news over the past decades with their involvement in the sexual abuse scandals.
In the past I have chatted online indirectly offering my opinion and/ or the facts that I know in the comments section of a news story.
I am not a Catholic but I am a Christian/other.
I recently had a more one to one online chat with a catholic member (although I understand they don't exactly call themselves members).
I was asking this person after all the cover-ups and constant unveiling of more and more victims, why he wanted to stay with the church.
He said something like - It would be a sin to go to another church. It would be like saying there is a better God someplace else and that is the biggest sin of all. They do believe Jesus directly started this church and it is the one true church, from what I have read.

I have been to many churches of a lot of different denominations and from what I have gathered, almost all of them feel their church is the "one true" church. That doesn't bother me, I just give that a grain of salt and listen for the message.
What I don't understand is how someone who is morally adept (assuming so from all that churching) can stay with an institution that is criminal. I hear their belief of "it's a sin" to go someplace else, but I don't get why their higher self doesn't walk right on out the door to another church and worship their God there. How do they not feel betrayed and used and disgusted?
I totally get there is pedophilia in the population and going someplace else doesn't necessarily mean it's out of your life for good. But for this church and all the coverups and decades of abuse so clearly there, why do they still go?
 FFS38
Msg: 2
view profile
History
The Catholic Church
Posted: 5/8/2019 12:39:02 PM

I have been to many churches of a lot of different denominations and from what I have gathered, almost all of them feel their church is the "one true" church. That doesn't bother me, I just give that a grain of salt and listen for the message.
What I don't understand is how someone who is morally adept (assuming so from all that churching) can stay with an institution that is criminal. I hear their belief of "it's a sin" to go someplace else, but I don't get why their higher self doesn't walk right on out the door to another church and worship their God there.

Or better still, why not leave that institution and worship God from home?
 LeFouGamboj
Msg: 3
view profile
History
The Catholic Church
Posted: 5/8/2019 8:56:53 PM
@ the OP

The Catholic church has been in the news over the past decades with their involvement in the sexual abuse scandals.

As I alluded to in another thread...........the RCC is an easy target, that has been made the "whipping boy" for all things wrong with organized large scale religions..........that they are "out of control"...."corrupt".....and "criminal"..............and while much of the allegations may be true..............it does not mean that there isn't any wrong doing in any of the other (protestant) factions, that has not been captured by the MSM............nor does it mean that all the RCC congregations or orders are equally involved in the crimes & corruption

Many of the smaller churches are way more corrupt than you might think......as they have little if any oversight

But for this church and all the coverups and decades of abuse so clearly there, why do they still go?

You may want to ask why people still follow around preachers like Jimmy swaggart (and many other like him)...and you will find that there is no straight answer

``````````````````````````

FF says

Or better still, why not leave that institution and worship God from home?

or better yet.........why not leave all the instutitions...and worship from home!
 FFS38
Msg: 4
view profile
History
The Catholic Church
Posted: 5/9/2019 2:31:15 AM
LeFouGamboj said

or better yet.........why not leave all the instutitions...and worship from home!

I only mentioned 'that' institution as I thought that's where his faith lies.
If he doesn't have faith in their beliefs or message then by all means break free from them.
 jackal44
Msg: 5
view profile
History
The Catholic Church
Posted: 5/9/2019 2:03:17 PM

why not leave all the instutitions...and worship from home

Why worship at all? Seriously, if I have ever "worshiped" a God in my entire life, I can't recall doing so. I have gone to services and mouthed the words..........in those infernal prayer books...but nothing I took seriously, more along the lines of why am I doing this?

In a way, to believe God requires that he be worshiped is a belittlement of the whole concept of God. If there is a personal God, would he not be far above petty ego demonstrations to his greatness and wisdom?

Just wondering about all of this.
 LeFouGamboj
Msg: 6
view profile
History
The Catholic Church
Posted: 5/9/2019 9:39:45 PM
^

Why worship at all?

Well, that ^ is a another matter altogether..................but the point that was made by the OP here ....was why Catholic member(s) keep staying in a Church mired by scandal...and not switch to another (as he had done).............as though he somehow thinks that the other Religions are above depravity.
 Jay6598
Msg: 7
view profile
History
The Catholic Church
Posted: 5/10/2019 11:24:52 PM
I don't think other religions, or more correctly, leaders of those religions are above depravity.
As I mentioned, there is pedoplilia in the general population of about 4-7%.

What the question is, is why would people continue to go to/give money/support an institution that has thousands of convicted clergy
under their employment and the institution covered it up, so it continued for decades.
Forget the "supposed" crimes probably being committed at other churches for the moment, we don't know of those, yet. This church has enormous payouts, convicted clergy and decades of cover-ups of those crimes, they are proven. And it's still coming out.
To say, hey what about the other churches, is a smoke screen for THIS problem at THIS church. And if it were the Protestant Church or the Hindus or whoever, I'd be wondering the same question, why do they still attend? And they do.

To me it seems if 1/2 the members got up and walked out saying we'll maybe be back after you really clean this up and we feel our children are safe, would maybe make a difference in how this church is dealing with this problem.

I personally am not Catholic and have never been.
 LeFouGamboj
Msg: 8
view profile
History
The Catholic Church
Posted: 5/13/2019 6:34:57 AM
@Jay

To me it seems if 1/2 the members got up and walked out saying we'll maybe be back after you really clean this up and we feel our children are safe, would maybe make a difference in how this church is dealing with this problem.

There has already been a significant number of followers who have left the RCC in North America...... in the wake of these scandals

www.worldreligionnews.com/religion-news/catholic-church-lost-members-religion-u-s

This alone ^ should have been a seismic shock to the vatican....but they haven't made any major doctrinal changes mitigating against future abuses.......because they are hampered by massive red-tape within their own religion.

most followers realize the wrongdoings........but many have opted to..stay with the "DEVIL" they know....rather than go with the "DEVIL" they don't know...........and this is just part of human nature!

I had spoken to someone some years ago who had left the RCC....and joined what probably was an evangelical church....he was there for several years, when word got out that the pastor/reverend was embezzling money (using it to put his child through college...and paying for a private drug rehab for another child of his).....many got in an uproar and wanted him out, but about 1/2 sided with the pastor....and there was a big discussion among them as to what should be done, which dragged on.........this person left before any decision was made, but the point is that it is hard for most people to leave what they feel to be a "part of"....and go someplace they don't know where they have to start over from scratch.

The question would be....why go with any "DEVIL" at all?.....but many cannot come to grips with that!
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > The Catholic Church