Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > 50 character min. first message      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Mark01gt
Msg: 1
view profile
History
50 character min. first messagePage 1 of 1    
I got so tired of fake accounts, spammers sending me messages with "Hey there :) " It seriously is 99% of messages I get. I click on the profile and of course it's a fake, usually so easy to tell. If I'm not sure, I reply back with "hi" and I get a reply telling me to goto some website. I am seriously fed up with bots messaging me. I changed my first message limit to be at least 50 characters, and I am STILL getting "Hey there :)" messages. How are they bypassing that limit? It's ridiculous! I feel like the owners of this website aren't doing enough to crack down on spammers and bots.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 2
view profile
History
50 character min. first message
Posted: 5/7/2019 1:31:19 PM
"Hey There." messages is an automated task -- women have a button to "Flirt" just like guys have a "Like" button -- they get a message sent to them as well in pretty much the same way. You can take it with a grain of salt if you want, but Robo-profiles tend to avoid the flirt buttons and goes straight to full e-mail messages full of broken English and bad punctuation and brainless generic subject matter. Keeping the 50 character limit definitely helps keep the 3-word smiley face message time wasters out, but does nothing about the automated "Hey There."

There are dozens of fake profiles generated daily because it is a FREE site and all it takes to start is an e-mail. POF has scripts that scan the membership non-stop for profiles violating protocols and bombing the membership with spam messages -- and can flag and dump most spam-ish profiles within an hour or two. The best way to avoid the spam is to NOT respond immediately -- give POF a couple hours to weed out the garbage before going on a clicking spree. Most profiles that give you message notices after that first couple hours will go blank with their profile pics -- a sure sign of POF dumpage.

Keep in mind... Most of those Robo-profiles don't 'flirt' unless THEY get a notice that you "Viewed" or "Liked" their profile. If you see a bunch of pics in your search windows, and most are ordinary and fit your 30-ish age range - but one of them looks like a 22 year old almost nude supermodel in lingerie or a bikini - and YOU click on them -- guess what -- you just got click-baited into a Robo-conversation. It doesn't take much of a discriminating eye to realize the difference between 'Real' and Too Good To be True -- just a little patience and a less-itchy finger. Photos that look too professional, too young, and too slutty -- generally are.

The other leading indicator is a random gibberish number or letters at the end of their name. If they use their birth year - like -"Love_Queen_1987" or something - that makes logical sense for a nickname - but if it looks like a random password generator -- "LoveQueen_68xbh3" -- it usually a sign of fakery.

If you are in a web browser, and you see these slutty hot mamas pop up in that row of random pics at the top of the page, drag the profile mini pic to your desktop and then dump it into Google images and see what pops up. Sometimes there is a match with a teenage model from Brazil or the Ukraine. Give you an idea how the spammers do their thing.
 Mark01gt
Msg: 3
view profile
History
50 character min. first message
Posted: 5/7/2019 2:06:20 PM
Yeah I know typically how to detect if they're fake, if they're a bikini model they're pretty much always fake, and their username is usually jibberish. But they've gotten so good that they even make profiles with "average" looking normal girls that you'd have no clue are fake. They're caught on and they're adapting their strategy. But thank you for letting me know why "hey there" is not being subject to the 50 character rule. I'll just ignore them from now on.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > 50 character min. first message