Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Can men and women be friends without sex?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bugsybears
Msg: 3
Can men and women be friends without sex?Page 1 of 53    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
it's not healthy in a relationship for guys to go out with women or women to go out with guys. not saying it can't be done, but it can make some uncomfortable. think about it. you have someone you love very much sitting there and you say your going out with some friends of the opposite sex tonight. the only way your partner would be 100% comfortable with that was if they were invited to go along. i wouldn't even think of asking my wife if i could go out with some of my female friends. doesn't even sound right to me, but that's just me.
 who_the_fox
Msg: 4
Can men and women be friends without sex?
Posted: 8/24/2005 2:23:48 PM
My best friends have all been men. Is it unhealthy for them to do stuff with me? Hell, no. There is NO attraction between us...they are like my brothers.
 Jesiebunnies
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/24/2005 4:40:27 PM
His story sounds a bit fishy to me! First of all we are not talking about one really close girl friend but numerous women that should tell you right there something is not right here. Is there some reason he cannot choose males friends hummm.... another not so good sign. Lastly he is in a relationship with you. Healthy relationships are formed from a deep respect. That means being aware of how your actions will affect your partner and vs. He is fully aware of the boundary lines of what he can and cannot do and hanging out with multiple women is in the cannot category. You already know that for him to hangout with these women is not what you want from him. Your intuition is telling you not to believe the things he is trying to convince you of so stop and really listen to yourself. DOn't be fooled into what other people want you to believe.
 Frrosty
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/24/2005 4:40:39 PM
okay but are you in a relationship with a man and hanging out with your male friends?
Is he suppose to be okay with it?

I always wonder why I am not going out with those friends with you though.

Listen to bunnies above me; she has it nailed right on it's head. ;)

Lazyboyz
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/24/2005 5:22:15 PM
My best friend is a very hot looking girl...I once had a crush but today we are close friends and nothing more. We share everything but nothing more - she's like my sister now...also she's married and her husband trusts us to go out alone together for lunches. So, it can be done....then again, all my friends are female.
 Deadmanwalkin
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/24/2005 5:26:19 PM
lep, this is his game called "playing the field". It's common, and many guys and gals just don't want a single commitment. If he aint havin sex with any of them, it sure sounds fishy though. Maybe you should think about another guy.
 Deadmanwalkin
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/24/2005 5:34:03 PM
Dragonred, I've found that the door usually hits me in the ass going out,,
 bugsybears
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/24/2005 5:35:25 PM
lep49 i doubt it. there is a very fine line and most men wouldn't want you near it. sometimes it can be ok if your friends are friends to your wife too. then there can be some trust there.
 bugsybears
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/24/2005 5:57:50 PM
princess that would be a tough one. if you are a good looking woman, it's hard for a guy not to be attracted to her. unless he's gay of course.
 40 Something
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/24/2005 7:32:39 PM
Only if the woman is dog ugly! and even then one drunken night would make that acceptable.
 ksue44
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/24/2005 7:43:06 PM
Yes, I believe it is called "platonic" friendship. I suspect if you work, you have friends of both sexes at work, doesn't mean you have to go out and "play". You can have a successful breakup (love each other but know you're not right for each other) and remain friends w/out sex. It is humanly possible. It boils down to each individual person is and what their comfort level is. Some are comfortable with their partners having friends of the opposite sex, while others aren't.
 _Heidi_
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/24/2005 7:44:51 PM
um duh
 Jesiebunnies
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/24/2005 7:55:30 PM
Calgaryman 99: yes that sounds very wonderful in theory but the human relationship is much more complex then it's my way or the highway. They often involve sacrifices on both parts. Knowing that your partner the one you supposidly love is not understanding or hearing your wishes is hardly solid grounds for a lasting relationship. Communication break down is the major killer of relationships. Regardless of whether all of us think that this is right or wrong or if we are capable ourselves the point is that this leap 49 is not cool with it. We do not know this situation at all only by the info given to us. Using that info it is easy to see that leap49 already knows that this situation is not right for her. I sense that she is seeking confirmation on something that she knows is not right after all she knows the situation better than we do. She is with this guy. So who better to judge than her! Trusting your intuition is definatly one of the hardest things to do but when you learn to do it it rarely is wrong. Go with your instinct.
 johnnysocko
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/24/2005 8:26:16 PM
yes. I mean no. uh.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/24/2005 8:38:43 PM
t d & h Ahh... no surprise here. But you introduced a new aspect to this already somewhat confusing scenario. I've also been subjected to that. Many male on their word and my trust platonic friends and real friends and these men would go to hell and back for me. That's wonderful, I appreciate that. And for some that's all well and good as long as I'm totally single and not connected in any way shape or form. But to my surprise and I do mean surprise, I've brought the "new" man around, introduced him to my friends and then gotten an almost ultimatum. Whaaa? Well, spank me and call me stupid, but some of my male "friends" not only were NOT happy to meet him, not happy for me, but did the WIld Kingdom animal stick your chest out jealous dance. I was surprised, appalled and shocked. I took care of it later, but it's like what the heck were you doing? And the he's not good enough for you or I didn't like him...HELLO not a true friend's answer. They showed their colors, however long I spent with the "new" man or not, if you do that to me, you're just not my friend or not my friend anymore. And some try to wedge themselves back in, like I need a "pity" screw? Sometimes I guess it takes being involved or in the new stages or trying to get there with someone that you enjoy or have fun with, but let me see my guy friends alone and I don't even ask but what are you doing with that turkey or what do you see in him, you're much better than that? Their ignorant grins and my shocked mouth dropped open face should tell it all. Be happy with a man/woman, and that's the litmus test of your true, real opposite sex friends.
 shadowgirl58
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/24/2005 8:45:10 PM
Men and Women should be friends without sex first-I sure wouldn't want to sleep, live or marry with a stranger or someone I hardly knew.
 guynamed21
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/24/2005 8:54:32 PM
If your a "nice" guy you'll have many women as friends. LOL
 bambi75
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/24/2005 9:26:52 PM
Maybe we should ask........can we have sex and not be friends?
 bambi75
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/24/2005 9:33:54 PM
well it doesn't have to be...... You were never friendly toward your one nighters? hehehe

do i have to want sex just because i am a friend?
 bambi75
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/24/2005 9:57:49 PM
t,d,and h.....

a single guy is almost guaranteed to be wanting to see you naked every time you get together

I have single guy friends and i have had them for years. They have never crossed the line with me nor would i have any reason to think they would. I have married male friends as well and we have gone out several times without their wives. Never has anything happened. For some reason i seem to have more male friends than female friends. It has always been that way.
 zeuscjj81
Msg: 26
Posted: 8/24/2005 10:14:00 PM
Of course, it's okay. I have way more female friends than male. Granted, some were intimate at one time or another, but now are just friends. My best friend is a woman I used to date and a woman has to trust that we are just friends. She comes with the package. It has been difficult for a few, but she is my best friend. I am not going to give that up.
 am70sguy
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2005 10:37:53 PM
t,d and h, you've done a wonderful job of stating the reality of affairs when it comes to the friendship issues. The issue of guys with friend girls is a little more on the realistic side because in reality if the friend girls wanted that guy to get into their pants, the probability is very high that it would happen. A lot of women like to remain blind to the fact that most men are working away on the chinks waiting for a crack.

As for the OP, my SO does not need to run around with a bunch of male friends, nor would I be inclined to find female friends to go and hang with. If there are things wanting to be done, we should be doing them together.

Scuse me, I have to find a female post I can post an agreement to right after so I can hammer in some of my vast supply of wedges...
 Mr. Peanut Butter Cup
Msg: 28
Posted: 8/24/2005 11:39:14 PM
I would like to think so.............
 who_the_fox
Msg: 29
Posted: 9/12/2005 6:24:38 PM

but their guy friends are definitely beating off dreaming about them

EEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!
 bucsgirl
Msg: 30
Posted: 9/12/2005 6:27:51 PM
t d & h Eww, in agreement with fox. I'm thinking of some of my male friends, and I'd rather think NOT!!! Does this qualify as too much info?? hahaha
OT: Yes men and woman can be friends with NO sex involved, but I'm having a problem trying to block my visuals after td & h's post...hahaha
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Can men and women be friends without sex?