Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Why do guys give cell phone numbers instead of home numbers ...is tha      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HOTPINKANGEL
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Why do guys give cell phone numbers instead of home numbers ...is that a clue they are taken?Page 1 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
I am very curious about this one...seems all I get are cell phone numbers....rarely do i get a home phone number...how about you????...Donna in Illinois
 kawasakizx10r
Msg: 2
Why do guys give cell phone numbers instead of home numbers ...is that a clue they are taken?
Posted: 8/29/2005 4:50:57 AM
yes i have not had a( home phone) for the last 5 to 6 years .any way if you dont trust him at first a little, dont date him or her
 sammysalt
Msg: 4
Why do guys give cell phone numbers instead of home numbers ...is that a clue they are taken?
Posted: 8/29/2005 6:19:25 AM
Most of the time yes. That are you have someone that is hardly ever at home, so how is he going to have time for you. Then again I have seen girls in the stores with them. Holds up the lines. lol So who really knows. I don't understand married people where he has his phone and she has her phone, and noone checks to see the numbers stored on them. I think thats why so many people cheat, because their lifes go differnt ways, and they spend more time apart than toghter. Makes it easy for them to let a girl think that they are single. If I was single, A man would give me both a cell phone number and a reg number, are he wouldn't be worth my time. If he really wanted to hear from me. I would get to pick the time. But take note, some mens wifes work different shifts, so just because he is home alone at night, don't mean he isn't hooked. Is there a way to know if they are hooked. NO. Thats another thing why do people that are hooked, work different shifts. Is that more inportant than their mate. I don't understand everything a person does, but I sure see a lot of people go threw it. Good luck on that question, because there isn't a good answer for it, because they are all different people.
 shadowgirl58
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/29/2005 7:05:31 AM
This^^^^is a very good question-one that I am curious about also????////

they rather have one call teh cell after hours when it is free???

It is decided I will start giving my # to those that are interested and that is all..

I won't be calling him on his cell either..After watching that Eliminate date show last night-It changed my whole outlook on things too-I will wait but not for long.
 sleepless_in_Newmarket
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/29/2005 7:12:46 AM
There is one very good reason for using cell numbers in addition to issues of protection and economics. A cell number rings where I am, not just at home. If I want a lady to call me, I want her to get a hold of me. What good is it if she calls and I am not home?

Stop with the paranoia.
 viceguy2
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/29/2005 7:29:26 AM
So mom doesnt answer by mistake and then start questioning who you are and why he's dating on over internet...
 79dude
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/29/2005 8:06:38 AM
some people only have cell phones
 airplane_geek
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/29/2005 6:36:00 PM
I think a land line phone is still significantly more reliable than a cell phone- I've been too many places where there was no service.

I give out a cell phone number just because it's more private, yet more accessable (like when you meet to go to the movies and one of you is running late) and you can shut the damn thing off to ignore someone if you so choose.
 crystalise
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/29/2005 7:49:57 PM
Initially ?? - No it doesnt. Who is at home 24hrs a day / 7 days a week??? It means it makes it easier for you to get them when they are out and about. Once you are in an established dating routine or r/ship then yes...I would be very worried if you dont have a home phone no [ if he has one] But by then you should have visited his home anyway [ one would hope]
 fashionable33
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/29/2005 8:17:37 PM
We like to give you the cell # so that when we're having sexola with another woman, we can turn it off.
 sleepless_in_Newmarket
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/29/2005 8:54:57 PM
Good point nithog,

I like to have fun. One woman months ago gave me her home number by accident. My call display showed it. So I plugged that into 411.ca, did a reverse look up, I found her name and her address. With her full name I did an internet search and found out where she worked, what she did, even found out her nickname in the industry.

I did this all for fun. I told her about it when we met and she was not offended. She was kind of flattered in a way. She thought it was hilarous that I knew her nickname.

The point being that if the home number is registered with Bell, 411.ca in Canada will give you the name and address. So be careful. If I was a stalker, I could have gone to her house, cut her phone line, climb in the window, grab a fistful of panties from the bedroom and run out screaming Woo-Hoo! like Homer Simpson!
 sleepless_in_Newmarket
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/29/2005 9:03:27 PM
No, the panty raid was just a thought. Now, that missing farm couple in Iowa, that I planned.
 jiszam
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/29/2005 11:51:41 PM
I only have a cell.Don't need two(home/cell).Hardly need one except that I surf on it too.
 HOTPINKANGEL
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2005 6:26:17 AM
I can't resist this one....an 800 number ....woooooooooo--hoooooooooooo free to call even better than cell phone number...
 HOTPINKANGEL
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2005 6:38:03 AM
I am NOT paranoid ....I was curious as to the answer.....being up in age.( well sort of)..I did not know the protocall of the ways of the modern man..lol...
 thraxinator
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/30/2005 2:46:14 AM
I only have a cell phone, I don't own a "land line" so I give out my cell # because that's all I have...the real question is not whether or not you get a cell #...the real question is if he/she has a problem with you calling at nite (or doesn't answer and gives some lame response) :)
 Bandito
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/30/2005 11:55:17 PM
Cell phones are a far better tool to reach someone without have to play v-mail tag. Mobility virtually guarantees you immediate contact. If the person is in a meeting and cannot take your call he can send you a text message explaing why and that he will call you back.

Home phone numbers are good too have if he has one. But if he always carries his cell, you have been to his place and he is honest the why care about any other number?

The fact is I would worry more about a person that doesn't want to give you his cell number or that he doesn't have one to begin with.

You can call my home (867-5309) anytime you wish.

Bana-dito
 tigerbe
Msg: 20
 marketguy
Msg: 21
Posted: 12/3/2005 4:36:45 AM
When I give mine out, it's just so they can reach me. Or so they can call if they're going to be late.
 pauly2424
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2005 10:42:47 AM
aww easy Q to answer..i have 2 cell phones,one from work,one for personel...why have a home phone when one is paid from work and i pay for the other one...thats why!
 goodgirl_110
Msg: 23
Posted: 12/3/2005 2:26:48 PM
a home phone is something that you talk on smart ass
 dustyspiral
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/14/2005 10:27:23 AM
Heya HotPink...

I suppose it's possible/even probable that some guys are doing this. In my case, I have broadband cable access at home and don't need a land line. It has occured to me for people to wonder about that, but it has never been an issue for me.
 mrbreezeet1
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/25/2005 7:19:44 AM
burkeclass said........
"if she wants my #
i give all 3 of them
home, cell and work "

Thats what I do,/have done (I don't have a cell right now)
I had been seeing a woman for a while, and she never gave me her cell phone # kind of made me a little mad.
thanks, Tony D.
 hftejada1972
Msg: 26
Posted: 12/26/2005 2:57:53 PM
reason Nbr 1 for me; It just for my alarm company, and it have a fax attach to it.

In 3 months I never use it
 md99
Msg: 27
Posted: 12/26/2005 3:08:57 PM
I give my cell phone number due to the biggest it is my only phone. My personal line no matter where I am at. Also If I am really interested in someone I can't miss there call. it stays with me all the time.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Why do guys give cell phone numbers instead of home numbers ...is that a clue they are taken?