Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > WHY DO MEN RUIN RELATIONSHIPS WITH VIDEO GAMES?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DeagleNINja
Msg: 3
WHY DO MEN RUIN RELATIONSHIPS WITH VIDEO GAMES?Page 1 of 33    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33)

WHY DO MEN RUIN RELATIONSHIPS WITH VIDEO GAMES?

Think about it and I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Video games are:
1)A tie to many men's youth. Many men are terrified that a serious relationship will be like a prison term. Video games give them that link with their childhood.
2)An escape from reality. Having this serious relationship and perhaps young child is a HUGE responcibility. Many men use a video game as an escape, albeit temporary, from the day-to-day demands.
 Writer_In_Training
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/30/2005 2:09:24 PM
I play a great deal of vidio games and my girlfriend dosnt mind at all. Probobly because shes the one kicking my ass in them half the time.
 Frrosty
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/30/2005 3:02:34 PM
IT is called "addiction".."sickness' pretty girl.
 Frrosty
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/30/2005 3:35:22 PM
I owned that shit

DAT A BOY!!!

um..

<--bad man.,

I get pretty into "Counterstrike"
 samo714
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/30/2005 4:15:14 PM
video games are fun. besides it's just the way we unwind from a long day. there is nothing wrong with playing video games. it's not our fault that most girls tend not to have any hobbies. besides if you really liked your man, you would play with him a few games.
 always_striving
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/30/2005 4:56:47 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, Oh my dearest God, I can't believe this thread exist. Please pass me the X-box controller.

Video games are 2nd to sex and above eating food.
 delightful_devilette
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/30/2005 5:29:21 PM
I for one love video games!! Now if I could find a man who could sit with me and play for hours! lol
 Arnage
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/30/2005 5:35:40 PM
When any one of my girl friends come over I make her strip down to her thong and bra and she walks around in that

That way I keep my eyes on her while I cook dinner and have drinks

No need to play video games and its a win win for both
 shadowgirl58
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/30/2005 6:58:56 PM
I knew a couple that almost ended thier marraige-they were at each others throats-only because they fought over the game-not about a game but who would get on the pc and play first and who would get off to let the other play-lol I love games-that's when people need two 'puters in a marraige. I got on one game at night and time slipped by so fast it was 7am..it's as addictive as playstation or atari to some. Yet I can understand the woman feeling neglected and shoved to the side as second best to the video game-if she is longing to be loved or is wanting some intimacy-don't likely know if there are men who would set that on the back burner to win the highest level of a game. hmmmm Toleave a man over that is a sudden surprise-it is not like it couldn't have been patched up or worked on.
 crystalise
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/30/2005 7:40:34 PM
LOL - this is too funny. Do they really?? I like video games so I dont have a problem with it all..in fact there could be a dispute if I kick him off the X-box. Seriously would you really break up over it? Trust me, the novelyt wears off. If he is stilling doing it months and months later - then just hide the thing,,,
 crystalise
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/30/2005 7:44:01 PM
Ps lassiter has a good point. I would rather my fellow on the xbox for hours for a bit of escapism [ we all need it - women shop, men go the bar??] than going to the pub for hours and drinking or on the net chatting up Lara Croft lookalike. I guess what Im saying is there are a lot worse things the guy could be doing for a "bit of fun"

: D
 79dude
Msg: 30
Posted: 8/30/2005 8:51:39 PM
i was gonna stick up for the games, but 12 HOURS? wow...
 azblueskies57
Msg: 35
Posted: 8/30/2005 9:06:19 PM
They are MEN, just kids.
 Thudpucker
Msg: 37
Posted: 8/30/2005 9:11:43 PM
What other avenue offers the opportunity to save the world by killing 50,000 Martians a day without the threat of reprisal?

. . . and it looks SO GOOD on a resume!

. . . and forces instant emotional age regression of up to 25 years?

. . . and puts your job "on the line" if you do it at work?

Idiots are not born -- they are created.

Thudpucker said it.

. . .
 79dude
Msg: 41
Posted: 8/30/2005 9:24:58 PM
i still have nintendo entertainment system
 badbadgirl
Msg: 46
Posted: 8/31/2005 12:08:56 AM
i love playing videogames too.but i play my way.i use the same concept than strip poker...the loser gets to take off a piece of clothing...and when theres no more clothes then the loser gets to do what the winner wants,XXX.fun,no?trust me at this point he should forget about the videogame for a moment...just an idea like this...so maybe he will never see videogames the same way anymore...
 crystalise
Msg: 49
Posted: 8/31/2005 2:26:30 AM
Its the obsession..and NO ONE has answered my question.. WHAT TYPE OF A MAN WOULD DO THAT? WHAT IS SO APPEALING ABOUT THE TOY? I'm not talking about a guy who does it for fun for a couple of hours to have fun...thats not it...its not the escape artists we are talking about either here..its an addiction to the game.... WHY?!

Fallon Hughes - are you sure this is not about yourself ie a man in your life?- you seem reall y,really hent up about it??? As to why - you answered the question yourself then. Its an addiction. Why do people gamble, why do people smoke, why do people over-drink, overeat??? get hooked on drugs??. There is NO rhyme or reason then if this guy is as addicted as you say. Its whatever triggers something for him. It could be a comfort thing, an escape from reality, depression...any number of things that would trigger any other dependency in another person. Maybe a lot of personal problems he just cant deal with??

I mean you say 12 hours a day - every day? all weekend? and for how long now? how long has it been going on?

I agree its bad to neglect your other life and responsibilities if it is as bad as you say. The guy would obviously needs professional help. And unless someone on here is a pyschologist I dont think you will get a very clear-cut answer as to why. Sorry,
 tmbmx
Msg: 50
Posted: 8/31/2005 4:58:46 AM
It was strange my ex would complain that I playied a video game for a couple hours. She never thought twice about talking on the phone through dinner. I would cook, tell her it was ready feed the kids we would all eat she would still be on the phone. But I am the total ass. This might be why the kids live with me.
 always_striving
Msg: 51
Posted: 8/31/2005 6:53:55 AM
Fallon I'm thinking that maybe that guy really wasn't attracted to you to begin with. I, as well as many others on this thread have already mentioned we would put aside the video game controller for a naked and ready to go woman. Maybe he thought that you were over analyzing him like a scientific experiment.... that is the way you come across. Put aside this scientific approach and be more woman-like and horny and maybe the next guy will put up the games at a yard sale or at least in storage until you revert back to your old ways again.
 Myfakename
Msg: 53
Posted: 8/31/2005 7:13:26 AM
You sure about the "wondering why she leaves him" part?
 badbadgirl
Msg: 60
Posted: 8/31/2005 3:17:06 PM
i was just trying to put some humor here

maybe thats the problem...maybe some women are too serious and boring...they forget about having fun, they don't want to play with their man so they have to find other ways to entertain themselves...escape from the boring reality
 Hazletons best
Msg: 67
Posted: 8/31/2005 7:52:21 PM
Why would anyone wanna play PS2,when you coud be playin with 2 Boobies...
 crystalise
Msg: 69
Posted: 8/31/2005 8:27:53 PM
I once got hooked an old version of Quake - in an effort to talk about the addicition. The reason I became hooked, was no not depressed or trying to escape life - but i just loved the thrill of the game. I would rush home from work, eat and jump on the pc. I would play til 11pm at night. It had quests and clues and exploring castles and monsters and stuff. I dont why but I just loved solving the riddles, blowing the monster to pieces and navigating the hundreds of different levels. Teh graphics were extremely realistic so you felt like you there - There was a certain amount of adrenalin involved, it was very 3D and the monster could actually follow you up stairwells and elevators and through secret doors, so there was a lot of being scared crapless as well. I would play it all weekend and blow off my friends to stay in - I just loved this game, because it was thrilling and i was like a person wtih a puzzle - i couldnt stop till i solved the mystery...

However the reason why I asked before how long this was going on...was eventually I got over it. i scored high points, got to the secret level....found out the mystery..it was like well thats cool..but I was over it...

so maybe its just FUN???? and I was going to say not be too concerned because it could wear off. I was in a relationship at the time but my b/f didnt mind at all. He would potter on his car, make me coffee and bring it to me, watch tv -maybe he liked the peace and quiet..lol...I guess i was hooked on and off for a month or two.
 Nighted
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2005 8:31:54 PM
No wonder you're single.
 Celyne
Msg: 76
Posted: 8/31/2005 9:18:06 PM
LOL see I think as long as he was helping around the house, with the kids (if we had any) and spending SOME time with me he can play anytime he wants. BUT I used to be an EQ junkie, or WOW junkie....I'd play with him! :P

But that's my opinion. I mean some people are tv junkies or they will sit and read a book all night or party. what's the difference?
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > WHY DO MEN RUIN RELATIONSHIPS WITH VIDEO GAMES?