Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > are the gas prices killing you yet      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 normaldude
Msg: 14
view profile
History
are the gas prices killing you yetPage 1 of 27    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27)
until we stop driving the 6000 pound suv half a mile to the variety store or dropoff and pickup the kids from school when they could walk and until we give up the 400 hp trucks....we will pay and pay.... Look at europe.... It is around ten bucks a gallon... it will get to that here if we keep burning it up
 brandy_n_3
Msg: 19
are the gas prices killing you yet
Posted: 4/10/2008 7:38:16 AM
I have decided to work from home to help save on gas costs, and am cutting the kids extra currics to only those close to home rather than all over the city. I drive a minivan out of necessity(4 kids) going to a smaller vehicle is not possible, nor is cycling etc. So I have to simple cut drive time as much as I can.
 normaldude
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2008 7:23:47 PM
ya england is brutal, my cousin uses his bicycle as much as he can. We visited him and he took us down to the south and even in his little car it cost a paycheck to fill up!@!!! He probably has more miles on his bike... and he is in great shape too! I wish we could tell big oil to go to he!! along with a few countries where they have lots of sand and oil......
 blondago56
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2008 10:34:39 AM
i have a little PT Cruiser, but i put on 72 Miles JUST to go to & from Work,(it's also through canyons & up hill), i filled my tank on my Chrysler PT Cruiser a few days ago, it was $52. i use a bit more than a fourth of a tank a day now, at these prices.....
 designingwoman
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2008 11:17:50 AM
yes the gas prices are murder on a full time student

We should tax the hell out of Big Oil for gouging us like this!!!
 normaldude
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2008 9:31:08 AM
"always look on the bright side of life..." sometimes its best to whistle that song when youre bending over at the pump!!!!
 designingwoman
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2008 10:12:25 AM
Bending over is a really good description--we are getting (unprintable) at the pump!!!

WE should hit the greedy companies with 90% taxation rates on the excessive profits these (unprintables) are making off of us!! They should not get away with this scot free, as Bushboy and its minions have allowed.

I've decided to protest by parking my car one day a week. On weekends, I can park it for a day with no problems. Alot of my work can be done at home too as I am a freelance calligrapher.
 jmarquise
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2008 10:37:39 AM
I don't know what the hell you are talking about. I paid 30 something cents for gas just the other day.
 867love
Msg: 36
Posted: 4/13/2008 2:57:51 PM
broken gas pump last week -filled my mustang for 67 cents. ya-hooooooeeeeeeeeeeey!
-score 1 for the consumer
 designingwoman
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2008 5:34:12 PM
I now have a Yaris, and am glad I have that bugger With gas being so high I am glad I traded in the old Saab for the Yaris. Gas mileage is far more important these days!! If I can stick it to Big Oil by driving an ugly hatchback so be it
 jmarquise
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2008 5:39:50 PM
hey, barack can lower gas prices. it has nothing to do with the global market!
 UglyFroggieCritter
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/3/2011 7:49:07 AM
On average, Islanders (Prince Edward Island, Canada) are now paying $1.15 per litre. That's roughly $4.36 per gallon (1 US gallon equals 3.79 litres).

I don't have a car. I walk. Or use public transit (which unfortunately sucks here, but I deal with it). I'll get a bike in the spring. I'll pitch in gas money when travellling with friends or family.

It's about all you can do.

edit to add: Gas prices vary province to province in Canada. PEI's third lowest, only Alberta $1.07 and Manitoba $1.13 are lower. Newfoundland and Labrador are at the high end $1.29 with Quebec and the Northwest Territories at $1.28
 Ska_Voovie
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2011 1:36:19 PM
local diesel price here in the UK today £1.40 per litre -
X 3.79 [for US gallon] = £ 5. 30
X 1.6 [for dollar price] = $8.49

thats for commercial vehicle fuel !!!!

yep - its killing us
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 47
Posted: 3/3/2011 2:54:58 PM
Currently, $3.55 and climbing...
 Twilightslove
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2011 3:14:52 PM
Wallyworld was $3.39 per gallon. Amazingly, a local grocer was 10 cents per gallon cheaper. I filled up the car.
 SuperFunGuy
Msg: 50
Posted: 3/3/2011 8:24:21 PM
I drive a 4 cylinder vtec acura, I'm 32MPG. I haven't noticed much. I'm lucky I guess, works wise, work's only 12km's away from home for myself.
 cookie22222
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2011 5:53:06 AM
There were lines at the pumps in Jersey last night.

The Turnpike, Garden State Parkway, and Atlantic City Expressway, by law, can only change prices one a week - 7 AM Friday morning. Last night the gas was $3.08 - this morning it's $3.25.

That still sounds like a bargain.
 raxarsr
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2011 11:50:26 AM
i do hope you folks realise that its really NOT the oil companys that are raiseing the prices.......its the commodities brokers on wall street and world wide..........oil companies have a set margin of profit............they wont sell for a bit less........if it costs them $1.00 to make a gallon of gas....and their profit margin is $.25..............gas sells for $1.25.............oil prices go up........now it costs $3.00 to make the gas....they sell it for $3.75 a gallon......yes........bigger profits for the oil companies...........yest its still 25%

oil costs approx. $9.00 per barrel to get out of the ground......the countries who produce it charge a profit...........but that only drives the cost up to around $30.00 a barrel.......but the way the global market is set up............ONLY commodities brokers can buy and sell the oil.............and they take bids on oil still in the ground.......[oil is sold anywhere from 6 to 18 months ahead of time]...
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2011 9:23:20 PM
I've always had a problems with the tip about pumping the gas in the morning when it's cooler.... I really don't know how far below ground the gas tanks are, but I was always under the impression that the temperature remains fairly constant underground, so why would that make such a difference WHAT time of day you pump your gas. Now, I can understand that there IS probably a difference between the SUMMER and WINTER months.
 karma1160
Msg: 56
Posted: 3/10/2011 9:44:25 PM
3.59 for unleaded here, propane is a whopping 2.59 per gallon.
Most of the money I have spent in the last 3 months, has been on unleaded or propane.
We have a train now that takes you into the city the problem is, you have to be on it by 6:15pm if you want to get home=western metro or you are stuck in the city for the night.
I want to try to get a new job at the U of M, in order for me to take the train, I will only be able to work certain hours. By car the drive is 1.hour and 15 min., if everything goes smooth, if we have a snow storm your looking at possible 2 hours of sitting in traffic while the gas keeps the car warm hmmmmm.ching ching
If something goes wrong and patients get backed up, and I miss the train, I am sol.
So yea this makes a persons personal choices that much harder.
So I am not sure what the answer is yet, but this puts a whole new set of problems on the table when you live in the country.
 a_lonewolf
Msg: 57
Posted: 3/10/2011 10:16:54 PM

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps

Actually in Canada we do have automatic temperature compensation at the consumer level pumps. As well, 1* will not make that much of a difference, but if you want to go into that much detail, then you also should consider that warmer fuel has a greater potential energy release than cold fuel.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. You should be pumping on low mode, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

Then what about the fuel that is being vapourized in your fuel tank in the car? It gets agitated just by driving out of the gas station creating vapours. All that does is get soaked up in the emmissions system of the vehicle and dumped through the egr to reduce emmissions, not increase fuel economy.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up; most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

That is old school theory, back when they used to have steel storage tanks below ground they would rust and create debrit. Now with fiberglass tanks that is no longer an issue. Besides, that's why each vehicle has fuel filters. Again, will not increase fuel milage.
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2011 10:00:15 AM
I can guarantee you this.... due to the horrible, devastating earhtquake in Japan today, gas prices are going to soon be unlike anything we've EVER seen before.
 RushLuv
Msg: 60
Posted: 3/11/2011 10:32:01 AM
I must say that gas prices are the best thing about not being a vehicle owner.

I should be living in NYC.
 sexyisback!
Msg: 61
Posted: 3/11/2011 10:34:59 AM
look on the bright side, the rising costs should bring SOME decrease in the number of deaths and severe injuries caused in motor vehicle collisions, the number of orphans & widows/widowers created thereby, etc., as well as reduce greenhouse gas emissions and smog especially in the largest cities, as there will be slightly fewer people commuting ONE to a car, 100 + miles per day round-trip, etc.

gasoline price increases will accomplish all of this FAR more effectively than endless gov't ads imploring us to conserve or to 'drive safer' etc.
 normaldude
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2011 2:33:52 PM
watch out for high ethanol gas since the more ethanol-the less miles per gallon your car will get and the more gas you will buy. The insanity of using corn to make ethanol and dilute gas with it is so crazy. We will buy more gas to drive the same miles and anything made from corn will rise in price including meat and chicken since its used for animal feed. Governments are using tax dollars to give grants to ethanol manufacturers which drives up food prices and causes more gas to be burnt!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > are the gas prices killing you yet