Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > dilema,...PETS LEFT BEHIND,....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 marita_b
Msg: 1
view profile
History
dilema,...PETS LEFT BEHIND,....Page 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I have 2 dogs,...they are everything to me,...recently they have been showing the dilems of pets who, have been left behind,..some tied to trees,...without food or water either,...

This is going to sound very extreeme,..to some,...
and right off the deep end to others.....

But the reports have been that people have not been allowed on busses,
with their pets,...and no one is left behind to care for them,...

Well,...I WOULDN'T GO WITHOUT MINE,...no kidding I just wouldn't
I know that sounds like nnothing more that some dumb lady who has not been
put in the position of choosing their own life over their pets,....

If my children were small and I was put in that position my statement would be different I think but today,...I can tell you for a fact,....I WOULD NOT leave my dogs behind,..

and yes even if that meant I would die,...it's the good thing about getting older,...
at least for me,...my living is not nearly as important to me as how I live is,...now,...

But I am older and I'm no longer responsible for the care of children,...
It's easier for me,....

what would you do?,...
 HedonistDrifter
Msg: 2
dilema,...PETS LEFT BEHIND,....
Posted: 9/3/2005 2:10:22 PM
I agree with you to a point, but if taking pets displaces other refugees trying to escape the area, it’s a no brainer that people come first....
 marita_b
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2005 3:19:57 PM
I think you missed my point,...I would never have my dogs displace anyone,...

What I am saying is they would be able to take my seat on the bus too,...

I just wouldn't leave them,..If that makes me the kind of person youo don't want to be stuck with in a lifeboat,..youd be safe they probably wouldn't allow my dears on their either ,...

so another seat just opend up,...
 HedonistDrifter
Msg: 4
HSUS Response
Posted: 9/3/2005 3:48:55 PM
Wow, just seems to be a poor use of resources, leave stranded families on the roof and rescue Kitty and Rover....

edit:Seems to me that if the humane society left every animal in place and saved the life of just one person it would be a good trade off...
 marita_b
Msg: 5
view profile
History
HSUS Response
Posted: 9/3/2005 3:54:09 PM
gaiess,...thank you sooooo, much for this,...most under-reported part of the disaster,...

These animals would most of them give their lives to protect us and our families,...
and I understand the humans come first thinking,...I do,..
but we are responsible for these animals who have placed their trust in us and have no way of understanding what in the heck has happened,....

I personally can not make a contribution over the internet as I have no credit card,....
so if there is a mail in add. I can send my check in,....
If not,....I hope they will allow you to post it here,...or just e-mail it to me please,...

Thank you again,..and I for one will sleep better when everyone,...
man and beast alike,...has been rescued,...

ontario_woman
Msg: 6
view profile
History
HSUS Response
Posted: 9/4/2005 8:02:49 AM
I can see both sides. A human life is worth more than an animal's life, but at the same time, contrary to what many like to think, animals can't survive on their own very well at all. As a cat lover, I would have one heck of a time making the decision to leave him behind. I might actually be weighing the options of staying behind until I could bring him with me. It would be like abandoning a member of the family to certain death...
 marita_b
Msg: 7
view profile
History
HSUS Response
Posted: 9/4/2005 8:22:14 AM
Thank you again for this information,...Gaiess,...

Now having started this forum and taken the stance regarding my dogs,...
which to me is absolute and I am pleased to see ,..I am not alone,...

I have to confess in utter shame that I never even thought about the farm
animals and the many,...wild animals,.....

I am disgusted with myself and will do what I can to try and help,....
 marita_b
Msg: 8
view profile
History
HSUS Response
Posted: 9/4/2005 9:04:39 AM
wow!!!YNA6,....spoken like a true animal lover,...

anyone who refers to them as it,..rather than them,...
Tells me already where you are coming from,...

actually some (fewer than you might think) will,.....some won't,

some have been found on the dead bodies of their owners,...also dead,...

The point is irrelevant to my dogs,...they won't ever need to find out,...
 marita_b
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2005 2:25:56 PM
OR,...you can stay with them,....
and not take up that valuable seat on the bus,..

In a very,...very extreeme situation,..

I would have no trouble shooting my dogs, if there was no other choice,..
you just don't seem to understand someone like me,...
who would save one last bullet for ME,....

I SIMPLY WOULD NOT,....NOT LEAVE THEM!!!!
 marita_b
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2005 5:47:31 PM
gaiess,...that's sweet,....even the smallest deserves a chance for survival,....

and dilema,....I think that's a marvelous idea,....

a few years ago my children and I had to live for 6 months in a hotel,...
we had had a house fire and were living there at this hotel/motel,...

that not only allowed pets,..but the owner a very dear old man loved them and stated that as long as he was alive no pet would be refused,....

once a year they have a very big SUPERDOG SHOW,....and every single one of them was housed in the same hotel with us,....I loved that,....

in most places when you travel you have to sneek them in or your hidden in the end unit farthest away,...and you have to pay a suppliment,...

I recently lived in Mexico for 6 months,..I had one dog when I left,....(who came with me)
and 2 when I returned,....if ever you want to rescue an animal,...go there,...animals that need rescuing are everywhere,....I retuned with 2 because they (the airlines)would not allow
me to bring home more,...How can anyone ever be cruel to something as small and delicate as the toy yorkie I brought back,...she doesn't even tip the scale at 4 lbs,...dripping wet?

getting back to the origional thought,...a shelter that allows pets and their owners is a fabulous idea,...we should pass it on,...
 marita_b
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2005 9:28:38 AM
here,...here ,...Triumph,...and your point that many animals do not go ferril,...
has never been proven more to me than in Mexico,....

They call them beach dogs,...they are EVERYWHERE,..
tourists feed them sometimes,...and occasionally even the locals working near them,....

but many,...MANY do not,...so these dogs have
NO REASON WHATSOEVER,....not to be vicious,...
but they aren't,...they will tolorate brutallity like you wouldn't believe
for no more than a simple ,...kind hand,....I couldn't believe it,.....

and for that reason alone I could NEVER live there,....the things I saw in 6 months
STILL HAUNT ME,.....

PS,....I too must give off some sort of doggy fermones or something because if there is a lost,..sick,..or homeless dog withing a hundred mile radious of where I am,...

I swear,..it eventually finds itself on my stoop,.....
well actually so do the cats,..now that I think of it,...
 marita_b
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2005 6:36:42 AM
well that concensus didn't last long did it?yna6

I suspect,....nay I hope you do not have any pets,.....

there is a BIG friggin difference between life in general being cruel,....
AND BEING CRUEL IN,...AND TOWARDS LIFE,......

LIFE,....DID NOT TIE THOSE DOGS TO THE PORCH BEFOR THEY LEFT
OR LOCK THEM INTO A HOUSE THAT'S FLOODED,.....

You think I don't live in the REAL WORLD,...let me tell you this I have lived in many different countries,...continents,..and cities,...and any city that has large packs of dogs running around,...(and the only one I have been in MEXICO),....a place that still today has dog,...cock,...and bull fights as entertainment,...it is unfortunately how the locals were raised,...and I can't even blame them because it IS how they were raised,....

what I do not now,...nor will I ever understand is ,....how,..can a tourist who comes from a place that knows better,...sit on a beach,...and watch an animal,...with a compound fracture make it's way gingerly amongst them looking for help AND DO NOTHING,......

A compound fracture in case you don't know is one where the bone is sticking out of the skin,...Life is cruel indeed,....not to mention heartless if it cuts into precious vacation time,...

Had I had a gun,...I would have eased that animals pain in a second,.......I didn't so I got a vet to come and get it,.....

This is a place where I found one very tiny kitty,...sitting next to a dead sib. next to it,...
11am,....in a well traveled area,...and NO ONE PICKED THE WEEE THING UP,...

It too was injured and sick,....it nearly died several times before the week end was over and I could get it to the vet,....and I'm deathly allergic to cats,...but I didn't care,...(about hives, and astma) because I did care about this little life,...which now also has a home,...

I could go on but why bother,.....

It's wasted on someone who thinks,....you live,...you die,...
and in between you takes your chances,....

the responsibility to destroy them,.....DESTROY,...not end their suffering,...ease their pain,...

destroy???????????????,....well that is telling,....

let me ask you this,....do you feel the same about humans,...
that are your responsibility,...that if they were suffering,...and and they have no hope of recovery,...would you,....DESTROY THEM TOO?

I hope the stewardship of the planet is not in the hands of someone
who has no compassion,......and don't even try telling me you care bnecause you will destroy them,....please just don't go there,....because caring is suspect would not be your motivation,....if some kills so they don't have to see the suffering,...as in it upsets them to have suffering around them,....well that's not quite compassion,...in my book,...

animals we wish to care for???????????,.....again very telling

interesting turn of phrase,....because I care for ALL animals,....even the non cute ones,....

you keep talking about the bloody chore,....
well not all injuries you have to die from,....I have sutured wounds, and been covered in their blood as I tend to them,....every one of my dogs and there have been many,...has just like my sons,..had cuts and scrapes some minor some very serious,....everybody lived,....

and just FYI,....the dog,....the one I would not leave behind,....the one I would die for,....

he was born in my arms,.....DEAD,.......but I don't do dead puppies,...
so I huffed and I puffed,....and 10 minutes later,.....he moved,.......
the first breath of air he ever took,...came from me,..
and when he draws his last,...he will be in my arms,......

A gun shouldn't be the first thing taken out of the medicine cabinet,...
 ~Ames~
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/6/2005 10:04:37 AM
I wouldn't have left my pooch or my cat. I would have put the kitty in my backpack and carted my 20 lb pooch under my arm. I have donated money to the Humane Society and encourage others to do so. The poor babies that were left behind....It breaks my heart to think about them.

It is unfortunate that people had to leave their pets behind, suffering through something as horrible as the hurricane and then dealing with the guilt that they had to leave their companion behind. NO WAY, I could not have done it.

I do believe that efforts are being made to find any kind of life at this point, it is just troubling to me that some of the animals lives that were spared during the course of the storm...these are the animals that are now having to fight to survive......
 marita_b
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2005 10:09:31 AM
no one was allowed into the superdome WITH pets,...

and I'm guessing more than a few of them had pets,...

Therfore they were alone,..or tied up,..since before the hurricain hit,....

and,...they did not allow anyone on the bus with pets I believe.....heck they didn't even tell the people where the busses were going to,....before they got aboard,...flat out refused,...

Montreal_Guy
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2005 10:49:51 AM
When I had pets (dogs) they were "death-do-you-part" contracts.

I would have preferred dying with my dog, than living without them.

I can't have one now ( where I currently live) , or I would adopt one in a second.
 marita_b
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2005 4:52:20 PM
Thank you Le Chuck,....I'm glad that I started this thread too,....

I've met,...(well on line anyway) people feel as strongly as I do,...
and learned a thing or two,....

I have noticed that today the reports are concentrating more and more on the rescuing of these abandoned pets,.....but interestingly enough,....
I have not heard one report on the recue of any farm animal,...or wild animal,....

I don't understand people who consider pets, (theirs or anyone elses),...as furniture,....

So consider this,.... you have a very best (Human) friend,...and you are in a disaster like the one from Katrina,....and you are given the oportunity to be rescued,...but only one of you can be saved,...the other one may or may not survive,...

and the decision of which one goes and which one stays,...is yours ans yours alone,...

would you take the ride out?........or would you insist you friend does?

I can't even imagine a world devoid of all cats and dogs,....
They have given us soooo much over the years,.....

and this is how you would pay them back?.....yna6.
 marita_b
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2005 6:17:57 PM
read message 41 rob,...don't skim,..read it,...

I have had dogs all my life,....I am not that stupid as to think they would let me on that or any bus with a dog,....My consideration is not limited so as to give it prefference over any human,...wounder or healthy as a horse,....

I am and have said that I WOULD FORFIT MY SEAT ON THE BUS,.....
like,...Le Chuck said so elloquently,......I would find another way,...

When I said that they didn't take pets in the superdome or the bus,...

it was to point out that of the 20-25 thousand people who went into the dome,..
(some of which I'm sure had pets)
went into the dome,...BEFORE THE HURRICAIN HIT,..those people when they left their animals,..had no way of knowing what was about to happen,...I'm sure many thought they'd be in the shelter a day or two and then go home,....

I still have a problem with the ones that tied their pets to the porch BEFORE the storm,...
I don't know what in the hell were they thinking,...but they have to live with the outcome,..

never assume,....that I haven't been in the position to have to choose between my life and my dogs,....because YOU WOULD BE WRONG,...my dear,....

marita_b
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2005 6:50:38 PM
Like I said they probably only thought,..that they would be there a day,...two at the most

How many pet's died is as mysterious a number as how many humans died,...so far,..

what the count will be for either catagory,....your guess is as good as mine and we'd probably both be wrong,...

if you believe me or not about my conviction,...well that's irrelevant actually but
I did attack a pitbull who was attacking my dog,....

I defended him,...long enough for them to get the pitt off of me,....
may not have been one of my brighter moments, (agreed)
and my son's were mad as blazes when they found out,....

but it was simply an instinctive reaction,...there was no thought that went into my action,...
that didn't kick in untill I started tending the wounds,...
it took 3 men to get the dog off of me,....

and this was in Mexico,....pitt bulls are everywhere,...because they fight them there,...
 SICutie
Msg: 19
Posted: 9/8/2005 7:32:35 AM
it's been well reported where i am that the local humane society is looking for foster parents for pets until the survivors can reclaim them

the problem is that if these animals have drank the water they are going to die. the water is so diseased
 HedonistDrifter
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/8/2005 7:47:39 AM
^^^I don’t think the presence of E coli bacteria, and chemical contamination is going to necessarily kill every rescued animal...I had a dog that took every opportunity to roll in anything he encountered that was rotting or dead, as well as eating "turds"...he lived to the grand old age of 15....
 marita_b
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2005 8:06:46 AM
Complexmind,....PEOPLE LIKE ME SCARE YOU???????????????????????

well ,.....that's me scary,...weird,....and carring,...so what?????????

but if you are going to quote me,..then have the decency to quote me correctly because the out of context doesn't realy get the meaning,....and it reflexts poorly on you,....

Your conclusion,....is simply YOUR CONCLUSION,.....

and my choice under those conditions to stay with my dogs is mine,...

and yes I'm sorry if someone has to pick up my dead body nut guess what?????

eventually they will anyway,...

So when and why,..is MY CHOICE,....you seem to think that it wouldn't be but even with the so called forced evacuation order not many people have been led of in cuffs,..or at gun point,...so you betcha,..it's still MY CHOICE,...

I have in posts stated or at least eluded to the fact that I am not just going to sit there and wait for the end,...and if I can find a way out for all of us I would take the chance,....
but if any or all of us don't make it,..I can live with that because I tried ,...and I would have done MY BEST,.....

so please DO NOT ASSUME ANYTHING ON MY BEHALF NOR SUGGEST THAT MY CHOICES ARE CASUALLY MADE,....BECAUSE THEY AREN'T,....YOU CHOOSE FOR YOU,...AND i'LL THANK YOU FOR NOT CONDEMMING ME FOR THE CHOICES I MAKE FOR ME,..AND MINE,..THANKS,...,

when I said that they didn't allow pets on busses,...
and i"M ONLY GOING TO REPEAT THIS ONE MORE TIME,.....

I in no way admonish the powers to be for that,.....that is fair and I understand all the reasons why,...let's move on,....I just wouldn't take the seat and leave them behind,...

and knowing me the way I do,...I would once the storm has past and we make our way to wherever,..probably take as many abandoned as I could along the way too,....because that's who I am,...my children would mourn,..and they woud be proud all at the same time,...perhaps a little ticked too but ,....we are all of us going to die,..to me what matters is how one chooses to live,....and for what,......

If you had read all my postings you would know,..my children are men,..the youngest is 20 and he is well able to not only take care of himself but as a member of the reserves would probably be out there helping others untill someone forced HIM onto a bus,.....

Because that's who he is,...and I'm proud of him for that,....
 marita_b
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2005 8:12:39 AM
SICutie,....I have often thought that there should be research done into what it is that dogs in particular have in their system that allows them tho eat things that would kill us for sure,...some enzime or something that fights e-coli,....because the other post is true I have had amny dogs over the years,...and I can not believe the things they can consume without it killing them,...or for that matter enev stay down,...it has confounded me for years,,,,
 SICutie
Msg: 23
Posted: 9/8/2005 8:40:59 AM
i'm no vet i'm just posting what the humane society rep said on the news. same news story talked about the police officer who went wading in the water and now has a terrible rash thigh down. there is more than dead bodies and feces in that water too. think about it

but the good news is there are animals that are being saved and there are lots of people who are acting as foster parents to them.

if i didn't have a roomate with two skittish dogs i'd take every cat in the place :)
 marita_b
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2005 8:46:15 AM
If I had more money than GOD,....I would buy me a piece of land big enough to take in a nd care for all the animals,..that need a home,..temp,..or permanent,...

well,..except for snakes,....they scare me,...

and bugs,...I just don't like 'em,...

Do you think that's why God won't let me win the lottery?

(sorry but I just thought a bit of levity was due),...
 SICutie
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/8/2005 8:54:57 AM
haha! i won't take the rats and the animals with rabies which is also a problem

i did a search and there are lots of people and vets donating time to help the animals too. rest assured that people care and they are doing their best
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > dilema,...PETS LEFT BEHIND,....