Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > what good or bad food do you remember from childhood?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 1
view profile
History
what good or bad food do you remember from childhood?Page 1 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
food holds such an integral part of our lives, another thread got me to thinking, then remembering...
my parents were refugees from war torn europe and when i was a kid i remember both great and awful things placed in front of me. table manners where very serious and strict, us kids weren't allowed to talk unless spoken to and had to finish everything on our plates...
perhaps why i am so outspoken now? ya think? ;)
what do you remember from those days?
here's some of mine

policintas: thin crepes filled with strawberry or lingonberry jam, butter, sprinkled w/powdered suger, (i liked those...)

fried liver & onions. (i didn't like that)

pork or roast beef with roasted potatoes, parsnips, onions, carrots and celery
with horseradish and spicy mustard,

chicken paprikash over egg noodles, mmm,

beef gulyas of a variant form i cannot replicate or find anywhere,

wonderful juicy hamburgers with a fried egg on top, creamed spinach, and
thinly sliced fried potatoes or french fries,

a weird fried cabbage/onion mix served over egg noodles and lots of fresh ground black pepper

another weird sour cream/white sugar and cinnamon dollops over egg noodles
what was that?

veal scnitzles with lemon slices, red cabbage and spatzle,

t bone or porterhouse steaks with potatoes, vegetables and salad with slices of garlic,

the best simple thick n steamy pots of beans with assorted vegetables,

huge pots of the best homemade chicken soup with spatzle,

homemade spaghetti sauce and noodles with wonderful garlic bread,

potato and cucumber salads with sour cream,

walnut cinnamon, brown sugar and raisen nutrolls and paperthin apple strudels, cherry/peach/apple pies,
thick cottage cheese/ricotta and raisen pies with criss crossed dough baked on top,
so many cookies i can't remember them all,

a weird thing involving whole plums in a ball o dough, boiled & rolled in brown sugar cinnamon...

i liked taco or pizza night and mom mom didn't make fish;
so sometimes we had those horrid fish sticks with homemade mac n cheese, all cripsy on top.

lots more, but this is just to get ya'll remembering...
 smith2267
Msg: 2
what good or bad food do you remember from childhood?
Posted: 9/18/2005 9:24:24 PM
Mom, bless her, was not a great cook.
I thought I hated eggs for years! Turns out, she just overcooks them, and I like them fine!

She loved to preesure cook things. Can you say tasteless?

I have fond memories of peppermint sticks and PB&J sandwiches, which I used to enjoy with a good book, curled up next to the furnace.
 berrysweetncgurl
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/18/2005 11:30:10 PM
I remember my step dad making these scrumptious steak kabobs, he would put butter on the steak and put onions and green and yellow and red peppers on there and grill them over charcoal brickets

I also remember my grandparents making all kinds of veggies b/c we have a lot of farm land and gardens so it was always time to harvest something......matter of fact this is still a family thing, every sunday we have a dinner at my great grandparents house with all the homemade food from the south everyone always talks about.....

I remember chocolate chess pie, and big fluffy meringues....egg custard pie, green tomatoe pie, nice homemade meatloaf with bacon baked on top surrounded by carrots, broccolli us kids so lovingly referred to as "trees" lol hard to believe but everyone in my family loves vegetables and have always eaten them even as kids

mmm I think about the homemade tater dumplins my great grandma makes from scratch
Sheez I am sooooo hungry now, I think this forum is going to make me gain weight
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2005 9:00:53 AM
ugh,
since my folks practically starved in the war, they worried we children didn't appreciate food.
due to behaviour toward us i learned at a young age, food was my control.
they could yell, scream, hit etc., but if i wasnt hungry i didn't eat.
i remember in first grade a big gust of wind from behind lifted me to my toes;
but i thought that was amazing and funny!
but i digress; the bread, ahh...
my mom baked everything from scratch and bread was only one part of the process.
us kids were given 2'' slices of fresh french or italian bread with every meal.
ohh, i hated it, it was too much for a lil tow head skinny girlie like me.
one time i remember eating my summer dessert (watermelon) with the huge chunk of bread...
now i like it; but as we all now know an overbalance of carbs can be bad.
well, an overabundance of anything can be bad...
but those chunks of fresh bread... i love them with lotsa butter...
but i don't like how i feel afterwards at all.

i too remember stuffed cabbage rolls and stuffed peppers;
but she served them with a dollup of sour cream whereas i prefer yogurt.
sighs.

bread, what a staple...
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2005 4:33:15 PM

allowed to talk unless spoken to and had to finish everything on our plates...
perhaps why i am so outspoken now? ya think? ;)
what do you remember from those days?

Remember those days ... many a time I'd have to sit at the table until the plate was clean (when my g'mother was visiting) ..war of wills and I usually won with the help of one of the dogs

beef stew ... loved the stuff, especially the 2nd day

cabbage rolls ... mom made great cabbage rolls but I hated them

liver 'n onions ... nope - mom always made me something else but the sisters had to eat the liver

stuffed spareribs ... awesome with cole slaw and fries

Swiss steak ... still make it today

chocolate Miracle Whip cake ... a great cake (and no, you don't taste the Miracle Whip) always had it on my birthday

Witches Brew ... still make it - my kids love the stuff

deer or moose steak/roast/hamburgers ... couldn't wait until dad came home from hunting and the freezer was stocked

and the best: a huge smelt fry after dad and I spent the night smelting

My paternal grandmother (born in England) would visit and it was all English foods while she was in residence.

bubble 'n squeak ... good with leftover veggies thrown in

tripe ... no way that hit my plate

roast beef with roast veggies and Yorkshire pudding ... she always made 2 huge puds so there'd be enough for everybody

blood pudding ... never in a million years

Lancashire hot pot ... yummy

steak 'n kidney pie ... excellent but I never ate the kidneys

spotted****... good but they could have thought of a better name

roast leg of lamb with oven-roasted veggies ... excellent

and who could forget granny & gramps (maternal) and their offerings

homemade bread ... she always made an extra loaf for me

homemade cookies/cakes/pies ... nobody could match granny when it came to baking

Haggis ... hated the stuff with a passion ... gramps would always come to the house to celebrate Robbie Burns birthday and I'd be watching for him ... as soon as he drove up, I'd head out the door, give him a huge hug and smooch and say "love ya but I gotta run, see you when I get back"

homemade sausages ... gramps made the best
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2005 4:42:37 PM

spotted****... good but they could have thought of a better name

and that would be spotted d*i*c*k
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2005 2:41:16 PM

just out of curiousity, what the heck is witches brew?

Probably known as something else, but granny called it Witches Brew so we did too - great when you're cleaning out the fridge.

no quantities - just throw in the ingredients to taste

ground beef, cooked and drained of fat
rice, cooked
stewed tomatoes
kernel corn and any other veggies you have on hand
grated cheese

mix beef, rice, tomatoes, and veggies; place in casserole dish and top with grated cheese; bake at 350°F for 20-30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
 metelyk
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2005 12:40:18 PM
My favorite was coming home from school for lunch, and my Mom having a big dish of Johnny Cake (I have no idea if that's the real name, it's what we called it - perhaps like cornbread?). Smothered in syrup, so yummy!

Favorite snack was dill pickles with balogna wrapped around it

Worst food ever - Shepard's Pie! Ugh.
 angel82
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2005 10:34:42 PM
I came from a traditional English familiy so the Good was Roast Beef with Yorkshire pudding and the worst was the rest of the week with grey meat and over boiled veggies.....yummy(not)
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2006 6:11:24 PM
simon150480 says
I remember squirrel nuts

anyone know about what these might be?!
 smith2267
Msg: 12
 smith2267
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/8/2006 12:59:28 AM
When I was 14, I went to spend a summer in Boston with my Dad (my parents divorced when I was 4).

Dad didn't have much money, and apparently had no clue that teenaged boys need a lot of food.
I was soo hungry!
When Dad made chinese food, I ate and ate. It was rice based, so he didn't mind me eating a lot--rice is cheap. It was my first experience with chinese food.
Because my first experience with it was under starvation conditions, I have forever loved the flavor of soy sauce since.
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2006 4:42:40 PM
well, she will get her just desserts,
karma can be a b*tch, eh.
wherever she is, i bet she's lonely.
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2006 4:41:32 PM
my mom was such a great cook.
today i'm remembering her juicy hamburgers; sometimes topped with a fried egg when served with some boiled tates and creamed spinach. sounds so simple, but it was all savory.

she made some sort of roasted eggplant dip i never really gleaned,
because at the time it went unappreciated by myself.
i wish i'd paid attention, now; i'd love some of that smokey, nuttyish blended eggplant dip.
she served it with a swirl of olive oil and sliced onion and fresh sliced tomato.

she loved to bake and had quite the repotoire.
i remember getting a kitchen dinette chair, and pushing it to the cupboard to climb up high enough to steal nestle toll house chocolate chips.
i also remember truly being suprised as the same bag seemed to dwindle so quickly.
i was a skinny little thing, one day a hard wind blew me up on my toes in the schoolyard.
funny the things we remember, eh.
 tmwig1956
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/2/2006 1:36:13 PM
Well Princess,
Today I wouldn't eat that either, but when we were younger that was all there was. My parents were in the service, and not much money, with 4 small children. Our favorite meal when things were good was Sunday, we would have Roast Beef, mashed potatoes, gravey, corn and a large glass of milk. Back then the only time we went out to dinner, was when Mom didn't feel like cooking and we went to Kentucky Fried. Now it seems I barely ever eat in, I always seem to go out.
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2006 4:11:42 PM
ahh, liver...
it made me cry as a child, but i was rather, um, sensitive...
but i DO like pate, and sometimes even a liverwurst n red onion sammich.
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2006 3:45:06 PM
Sounds like you came from a european family, by your list of faves, where abouts from?
umm, to whom are you referring this query to, please?

fried beaver?!
wow.
 designingwoman
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2006 10:44:42 PM
My Dad was a great cook....I loved his shish kabobs, veal patties piccata style, home made tacos, sloppy joes, all kinds of grilled meats, and more. I miss him so much--gone but never forgotten.

My brother added to the kitchen's delights with his "brupper" (breakfast for supper) and the S'mores he and I made in the kitchen. Funny I was a Girl Scout for a couple of years. They never taught me about them--my brother did! Today, my brother follows in Dad's footsteps by being a fabulous cook! He delights us every year at Christmas time with his great cooking.

Last but not least, my beloved aunt' great gourmet cooking. She got me hooked on mesclun salad with balsamic vinegar, sea bass, and her divine rosemary flavored chicken, to name a few! Gourmet goodies are as much a comfort food to me as are the simple delights because they remind me of her.
 designingwoman
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2006 10:51:16 PM
And now for my mom's delights in the kitchen: Lemon meringue pie, and Irish soda bread! I also love her meatloaf. It is done perfectly, and she adds these wonderful seasonings. Add just a little ketchup, and I am in 7th heaven!

Bad: I don't care for anything with tuna in it or cow liver. Oddly enough I love chicken liver pate! Tuna noodle casseroles are just THE worst, along with overcooked green beans served with that icky cream of mushroom soup stuff.

My fave outside the home: JOHN's BEST PIZZA, at one time was at Eastfield Mall in Springfield. Fresh pizzas with fresh ingredients that were absolutely fabulous.
 Jinley
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/26/2006 12:29:26 PM

simon150480 says

I remember squirrel nuts

anyone know about what these might be?!

I think this is probably a reference to Squirrel Nut Zippers, it's a peanut butter candy that's crunchy, it's been around for a long time, but I have found it's mostly sold in the South.

I love my mother's turkey stuffing, everytime I make it I feel like I'm home, no matter where I am.
 OrangeKrush
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2006 7:05:24 PM
This brings back memories... My mom used to make this stuff out of diced spam and cubed velveeta cheese mixed up with miracle whip and she would bake it on toast. EEEWWW grosses me out to think about it today, and I would not feed it to my kids. We sure did love it as kids...Did you know that in Hawaii, SPAM is considered a main food? It's true they even serve spam & eggs at the McDonalds!
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2006 7:12:14 PM
SPAM, gross...

i admit i was perplexed to open a care package from my parents when i lived in spain for three years, i was like, wtf? we never ate it in our house, why send me that shit there? did they think i was starving? in their defense, it WAS near Easter and maybe they thought i couldn't procure a ham to bake?!
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2006 7:29:04 PM
liver makes me vurp, too; but i like liverwurst...
i know i'm just weird.
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2006 4:22:23 PM
glad you liked, kitkat!

i have always loved my mom's white beans n ham hocks.
wish i'd written all her recipes down,
st patty's day will be one year since she has passed.
what a lovely mother, friend and confidant i have lost, physically;
but she lives on strongly in spirit, heart and mind, memories and love.

it's so nice for me to see people still posting to this, thank you to all those whom have contributed, nice tribute to her memory, and those of yours you all as well.
 designingwoman
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2006 4:58:50 PM
When I was in my teens, my mother once was too busy to bake a cake for my birthday. She apologized profusely for getting something from the bakery. She had no need to because it was one of my favorites--rum cake from the La Fiorentina Bakery in Springfield, Mass.!! YUMMMMMMMMYYYY! After that, she always got me a rumcake, which I still consider a real treat
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > what good or bad food do you remember from childhood?