Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What does splitting the bill mean?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 YamIhere
Msg: 2
view profile
History
What does splitting the bill mean?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
forever.

Separate check books, folks, it's the way to go!!!!
 YamIhere
Msg: 5
view profile
History
What does splitting the bill mean?
Posted: 9/28/2005 4:00:14 PM
Hmmmm ... when I go out with a woman, if she offers to split the check that is a romantic moment!!!
 Double Cabin
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2005 4:01:05 PM
^^^That's it Sue, reciprocation one way or another.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2005 4:18:03 PM
^^^^^^Would a better word have been chivalry? Difference of opinion here: There is a difference betwen a genuine offer and insistance. Some of us make more money than others, so there should be some consideration, however ultimately for a relationship to work for me I want something in return. It could be that dinner, it could be an activity you're not thrilled about at first, a willingness to try, help with a task, whatever. I want a woman walking beside me in life, and the only way that happens is with genuine reciprocation. Now if that pair of shoes were hiking boots now you're talkin'.

Double Cabin
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2005 4:19:47 PM
Above was for Lady Bug.
 YamIhere
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2005 4:41:51 PM
If she doesn't at least offer to split the check on a first date, there won't be a second date.

What I have found is odd, women that I date multiple times seem to get comfortable after a few dates and stop offering to pay. That's when things start down hill.
 YamIhere
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2005 4:49:51 PM
Yanno, Smile, the worst part is the type of women I date are all successful professionals who have plenty of their own money. Just doesn't make sense.
 sammysalt
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/28/2005 5:32:46 PM
If you talking about dating and paying for food. I have never paid for it. The man has never let me, even if I did try. So I have no answers there.
Living toghter, and paying bills is different. We kept are own money, and split every thing in half, for years. Until I had his kid. then we put our money toghter.
 islandbwai
Msg: 26
Posted: 10/24/2005 11:24:22 AM
Well...I've never splitted the bill. I've had girls asked me out for dinner or coffee and I still paid the bill. It's not that I'm trying to prove anything but its just who I am. I'm very old fashion and I have the mentally that the guy should take care of the bill, pull out and slide in the chair and open doors for the lady. But at times, if the person you're with really wants to pay for the tab then the polite thing is to just go ahead and let her do it. I will admit that it is a good feeling to know that she wants to pay for you. Its a very romantic gesture.
 slubrub
Msg: 30
Posted: 10/24/2005 12:09:13 PM
whoever asks, pays. simple concept.

if you invite a guest to dinner and expect them to pay you're a jerk. it'd be like expecting to be reimbursed for a christmas/birthday/whatever gift.

who DOES that?
 grplaman
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/24/2005 12:15:26 PM
At first, initiatly, whoever invites-PAYS. After a relationship is formed..normally the guy pays. But this is a new millenium..so, i'm not sure anymore. I just stay home and cook Tacos for everyone,.guests bring the beer! Besides, restuarants are expensive...stay home and cook-it's cheaper. They spit on food in restuarants-i know. Trust me! I wasn't a security guard for ever...........
 slubrub
Msg: 32
Posted: 10/24/2005 12:25:12 PM
^^^^^^^^^

smart girl!

when you offer something to someone be it a dinner or a sweater or a card you DON'T ask to be paid for it. jesus!
 DavePinFlorida
Msg: 33
Posted: 10/24/2005 12:58:21 PM
The man should pay.. end of discussion.
 arri
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/24/2005 1:03:10 PM
If she doesn't at least offer to split the check on a first date, there won't be a second date.

This is my rule too and I am far from being cheap. It shows class and independence on the part of the woman.
 slubrub
Msg: 36
Posted: 10/24/2005 1:21:16 PM
how does it show class and independence to pay for a gift?

i'm so totally confused on this
 arri
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/24/2005 2:02:53 PM
how does it show class and independence to pay for a gift? i'm so totally confused on this

Since you see it as a gift instead of an opportunity for romance, fine, I’ll accept the BJ after the date as a gift too. Nothing to be confused about.

However, since my intentions are to establish a bond with a strong and independent woman, then this is a good way to separate the serial daters from women who are actually interested in me for more than a good time.
 slubrub
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/24/2005 2:09:49 PM
um...yeah i HOPE you don't pay for your blow jobs! i think you just proved my point with that comment. thanks

being strong and independent has nothing to do with it. how could it?!

it's about tact. i personally don't want to be seen as an "opportunity" either. that's a little to businesslike for my tastes

when i invite a person to have dinner with me, possibly take in a show, i pay. i don't look at them with a look on my face that says "yeah, i asked you to spend some time with me and get to know me. enjoy some dinner AS MY GUEST, but i expect you to pay for it"

that's beyond lame
 Wikster
Msg: 41
Posted: 11/1/2005 6:41:13 PM
Well, it is a new day and times have changed, but me, I'm from the old school, which is ... "It's my pleasure =) "
 social dragonfly
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2005 11:45:06 PM
if its the first date, the bill payments could/should b discussed before going anywhere "the term is going dutch" .in the situation of couples ,the ladies can pay the bill occassionally. when i ask a friend m/f to dinner i pay.when they ask they should pay .however i do offer to pay in some form of the payment and "not just the tip." there are persons out there who donot allow their dinner date to pay at all. myself i'm not one of them.good luck ya all
 flowersinthelake
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2018 4:13:08 AM

But what if you've been dating for awhile and everything has been split in the dating phases. Each person pays their own stuff, fifty/fifty.

It means somebody in the paying party is getting a nice discount on their larger amount of the bill.

I'm not going to Cash App a steak beast for "my half" of a $100 dinner tab when my portion was only $25. He can find some idiot to subside his meal hoarding, somewhere else, because I'm not going to fuq'ing do it.
 MsMicki
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2018 5:44:00 AM
Are you seriously going to drag up every thread about this subject???
 Aloof_Loofah
Msg: 46
Posted: 5/31/2018 6:24:10 AM
^^^ So it would appear, MsMicki. Like a dog with a bone.

To each their own, sincerely, but man, women can be vicious (and even muse that they are more "worthy") when someone dares to have a different opinion.
 whiterose0
Msg: 47
Posted: 5/31/2018 9:41:26 AM

It means somebody in the paying party is getting a nice discount on their larger amount of the bill.

I'm not going to Cash App a steak beast for "my half" of a $100 dinner tab when my portion was only $25. He can find some idiot to subside his meal hoarding, somewhere else, because I'm not going to fuq'ing do it.

Simply ask for separate checks. Problem solved.
 Whisky_River
Msg: 48
Posted: 5/31/2018 9:58:34 AM

Simply ask for separate checks. Problem solved.

OMG...I never thought anyone had to be told that....
 MsMicki
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2018 10:09:12 AM
^^ told....and told again unfortunately!!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What does splitting the bill mean?