Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Breastfeeding in public...approve or disapprove?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gossp
Msg: 3
Breastfeeding in public...approve or disapprove?Page 1 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
As I hadn't seen any other men jumping in on this, I will. For all the reasons already listed: Go for it. It's better for the child, better for you. If you are a regular breastfeeder going too long without letting some go is going to get messy, and that's worse than any possible glimpses someone might get. My ex was quite shy about it and we went to great lengths to find a private place for her while out and about. I've had many friends that put a towel or blanket over their chest and would feed away at the table in a resturaunt. Didn't bother me one bit. Won't bother any informed person.
 momishadow2
Msg: 5
Breastfeeding in public...approve or disapprove?
Posted: 10/3/2005 3:01:39 PM
i completely agree.. if you're kids hungry, then you're kid's hungry. i wasn't willing to make my daughters wait until we were at home just to nurse. i did use a blanket to cover up though, but it's your child and anyone who is going to punish a woman for taking care of her child is an idiot
 techgirl27
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2005 4:13:32 PM
I definitely approve of breastfeeding, and in public as long as it is done respectfully. That doesnt mean whisking off to the bathroom, it would mean just being discrete about it. No one should have to eat their dinner at the toilet. Use a blanket, sit at a quiet table not in the middle of a crowd, dont flaunt it, etc. We need more people doing this. Studies show that not breastfeeding (feeding formula from birth) raises a woman's risk of breast cancer by up to 3 times. This is mother nature's way of saying "naughty" for not using the tools she gave you. Plus I would be in agony if I went more than about 8 hours without nursing or at least expressing. Blankets aren't wrong. And a designated feeding area is GOOD for those who want it, but no one should be forced to use it. You can't legislate nature so there's really no point in trying. If the little one needs to eat, they need to eat, doesnt matter where you are. Thats the best part about it, its portable, and free!! Go to the La Leche League website (its a .org site) for more info.
 JuJuBee
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/3/2005 4:36:11 PM
If you are hungry, do you go to the bathroom or under a blanket to eat? (Not YOU,just in general) I think mothers & thier babies should have the right to feed thier chidlren anywhere if done in taste... A designated place might be better for some ppl not to be offended, but really...would they starve thier child if they were screaming in hunger?
 prolibertate
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/3/2005 6:04:58 PM
Breasts exist to feed babies; they're sexual organs secondarily. I believe that breastfeeding is better for babies and that they need to be fed when they're hungry, regardless of where that is. That said, most women do it discreetly, using a towel or blanket to cover themselves, as 1) it's a precious, bonding moment for mother and child, and 2) they don't need people looking - or leering - at them when they're doing it. Many places now have lounges for just this purpose and many mothers I know have said they feel more comfortable doing it there when they don't want to cover themselves or the baby. I believe people need to do what's comfortable for them, but I don't think breastfeeding in public should be banned anywhere. That some states have to have a law to allow that, or against it, is a bit ridiculous.
 hagstrom18
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2005 7:39:17 PM
I approve of breastfeeding in public,,its a natural thing,I've seen a few women do it,,no problem...its the same as a grown person is hungary or thirsty,,do they have to do it under a blanklet?? poppycock,,,its the womans right, my wife would have breastfed our kids ,,if they would have taken to it...in public..
 techgirl27
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2005 11:18:44 PM
your baby doesnt get antibodies with bottled milk, so that says they will get sick more often.
They can duplicate a lot of things now in formulas, but not antibodies. Those are individual to the mother.

I dont think going off to hide in a bathroom corner is appropriate. Most people are tactful and dont want to embarass themselves or anyone else, enough to be polite about it. I say go for it, just have some tact

oh yes gossp, I cant count the number of wet spots on my shirts I had. ACK! I had to take a change of shirt with me everywhere.
 CoffeeCanuck
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/3/2005 11:59:47 PM
I 100% approve, but as many have said, be discreet about it. A little blanket to cover baby with is all that is needed. I've seen the odd woman just pull her breast out in the mall and feed her baby without covering up and that is simply distasteful to me......no pun intended.
 techgirl27
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2005 10:33:55 AM
I support the towel thing, plus breastfeeding can get messy!! bleah. Those muslin squares are fantastic for that kind of thing. That's what they're for.
 wonwascallywabbit
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/5/2005 7:40:49 AM
I think it's perfectly fine wherever, whenever. Yes a woman should do her best to stay covered, but the reality is you can only do so much when trying to breast feed. I think the other posters are absolutely correct in saying the bathroom is not the best place for this either. Anyone who might be offended by breast feeding in public has personal issues, and they aren't your problem. I think that anyone offended by it must be viewing the woman sexually and not as a mother. That is just sad. When done in a private and quiet manner I doubt most people would even take notice.
 techgirl27
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2005 7:40:27 PM
babies getting hot under the blanket? use a muslin square or one of those cellular blankets (the woven ones with the little holes in them). That provides breathing room as well as privacy .
 DanQuixote
Msg: 26
Posted: 10/6/2005 2:30:38 PM

think nurseing it all a natural part of life....people who have a problem with it don't look, and deal with it. Nature can't be wrong.

True...

The problems are caused by the social situation itself. If my eyes happen to catch what you're doing, you think I'm a perv... so if either my eyes or your breast are not covered, it makes a very awkward situation... not just for the man but the woman as well.

Oh well.... I guess we have to feel awkward sometimes... don't want you to suffocate your baby fer cryin' out loud.
 JuJuBee
Msg: 28
Posted: 10/8/2005 9:11:55 PM
I had lightweight cotton blankets to cover my kids. The blankies were light enough to do the job & not overheat the kidlets.
 Vixen6
Msg: 30
Posted: 10/9/2005 3:08:30 PM
Come on people you can't be serious?

Breast feeding is the absolute best way to feed your child. Why would anyone have a problem with you doing it anywhere? We as woman have the right to feed our children and do the best we can for them.

And the fact of the matter is......IT'S JUST A BOOB!!!!!!!!

We are not saying walk around with your breast hanging out waiting for you child to get hungry, but as long as it's tasteful who cares? We see woman everyday wearing clothes that are see through, tight and barely covering them as it is but we claim it's there right to wear it beacuse it is self expression. As long as thier nipples/ariolas aren't showing it is ok. Well if you are breast feeding correctly your nipples and ariolas wont be showing either.

So here is my solution to all these problems for breast feeding in public for you ladies who get harrased for it...................... Tell them it's not breast feeding. It is a fashion statment! Interactive clothing! maybe then they will leave you be. Thanks for reading my rant. Vix
 Lazyboyz
Msg: 33
Posted: 10/16/2005 1:17:43 AM
T O T A L L Y disagree.

If I'm at a swanky bar&grill with my date, the last thing I want to hear over my
expensive dinner is the suckling sound of a breast. Hopefully, she
didn't have twins

Lazyboyz
Msg: 35
Posted: 10/16/2005 2:10:37 AM
Come on ladies, it is one of the most natural things in the world

So is any liquid, solid or gas eminating from a human body. LOL

Lazyboyz
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/16/2005 11:17:50 AM

You can't hear anything while my son nurses

I trust you Virgogirl but what you fail to understand is the militant fems in your
ranks that simply want to flaunt and shock....they are like rebels without a clue & without taste. I've seen it before.
 livewirehere
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/16/2005 1:41:56 PM
I think if you're somewhat discreet ((depending on where you are))... My ex and I were in a fairly nice restaurant with his brother and wife.. She just pulled out her breast (they were HUGE at the time) at the table and started feeding the baby. Didn't try to cover up at all.. My ex couldn't even look her direction~~~I thought I was gonna fall off my chair~~~
 livewirehere
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/16/2005 4:51:42 PM
It didn't bother me, which is why I almost fell off my chair when I saw my ex squirming in his chair... but, that's how society has raised most of us, so it's gonna take a while, I think... Especially in a "fine dining establishment", and at the table... I thought she maybe could have at least covered herself somewhat with her blouse, or something.. But, her and her husband are organically grown~~~ She had both of her kids at home, in the bathtub~~
 abcdabcd
Msg: 41
Posted: 10/31/2005 8:59:04 AM
your baby has too eat they have to eat i know mine is a lil piggy.
 Bigger Guy
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2005 8:32:29 PM
Nothing wrong with it at all ... the lady sitting next to me on a flight recently did it. I had never seen the lady before or since. She asked if I minded ... I told her no, and that I had kids too and understood the urgency. I held the baby while she got ready. You would be surprised at how fast that slightly cranky baby became satisfied and calm after. It is a necessary and non sexual thing ... go for it.
 dewkiss31
Msg: 43
Posted: 11/8/2005 9:01:44 PM
I approve of it fully when my child was about 3 weks old I was in a chinese resuarant my child was hungrey and I politly covered myself and began feeding my child when this little elderly oriental woman came up to my table began to chew my ass out in chineese shaking her finger at me then uncovered my child patted him on the head and yelled at me some more she was yelling at me for covering up my child while he ate. I have hear that you should breast feed you child in the bathroom or some place where no body can see you I say would you like to eat in a bathroom NO!!!!! I THINK NOT why ask a mother to feed her child there. If someone tell you or gives you grief tell them to kiss you ass!!!!!!!!!!! Also breasts are NOT sexual organs they were put on our body for a pourpous to feed your child. Yes they are fun for a guy to play with but there main pourpous is to feed you child I am sorry if I ofend anyone but oh well that is how I feel.
 dcx10
Msg: 44
Posted: 11/8/2005 9:18:39 PM
Sure, if she is pretty. I am always open to see some good tits. Heck I want to go suck on them myself.
 blondegreeneyedgal
Msg: 45
Posted: 11/9/2005 8:57:34 AM
approve 100%,wherever whenever,its what they were made for.
 hummer4x4guy
Msg: 46
Posted: 11/10/2005 12:52:11 PM
Anyone know of or heard of the study done on breast milk and in all samples taken.. jet fuel was found in all the milk...Just goes to show how even tho the milk is best..its not always pure..its all from the environment..
Joel
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Breastfeeding in public...approve or disapprove?