Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Does anyone else suck at talking on the phone?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cannuckswon
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Does anyone else suck at talking on the phone?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
i dont neccesarily suck on the phone but i hate them infernal contraptions. i spend 20 years in a job where i talked on the phone all day . now i use it as little as possible . i am more comfortable talking in person or believe it or not on one of the messengers.
Does anyone else suck at talking on the phone?
Posted: 10/6/2005 5:05:38 AM
I am the worst...

years ago, I use to be the king of the phone, could talk to my girl for hours and hours.
I remember nights we talked for like 10 hours or more.
but them days are long gone...

basically, I graduated high school... and now have to go to work in the morning, or I'll be homeless, so phone time, isn't a option these days.

sad...
there was something so simple and fun, about having the secret permission from your girl to sneak in a phone call at 3 am, after the parents went to sleep.

now...
I can barely stand to be on the phone for more then 5 minutes with my close friends.
I try to find the fastest way to get them off the phone.

I still let conversations with girls kinda go on as long as they can.
but now that I suck at phone talk... it doesn't go on too long.
 darkeagle03
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2005 7:12:17 AM
Yeah, I'm not a phone person at all, never have been. I'm not much of a small-talker to start with. I much prefer to actually do things than to talk about doing them. Throw in being very visually oriented and a touch of ADD, or something similar to it, and you get a horrible phone person. If I do want to talk on the phone for more than about 10 minutes, I pretty much have to lock myself in my room, lay down, and stare at the wall for the entire time to minimize distractions and keep from spacing out. Even then my mind will wander. I'll hear everything that the other person is saying but won't really come up with anything of my own to say.

I had the same problem in classes at school. When I did attended the lectures I usually spaced out and then fell asleep within 15 minutes. Luckily I didn't need to actually attend the classes to pass them...
 Suzy_Chestnut
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/6/2005 7:24:02 AM
Griffin.. please write to me. (Urgent...2nd class) <--- secret code! heh

OT: I find my dry/dark sense of humor doesn't translate well to the phone unless the other person is very similar in that sense, or they've already met me and know that I'm a little off center. So I guess I can't say I suck at talking, it's just rarely a success with normal people. That works out ok, because I don't have much in common with normal people anyway!
 Suzy_Chestnut
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/6/2005 9:02:59 AM
Angelina: It would be like talking to Steven Wright on the phone!

On the other hand, I think the phone is still slightly better than writing. The only way to let someone know you're not being serious is to use a smiley, and I hate having to announce that I made a funny, ya know?
 mouthing_drama
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/6/2005 1:57:42 PM
*raises hand* Me 2
 mouthing_drama
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/6/2005 1:58:52 PM
Don't you guys find the occasional pauses in conversation, which would be considered normal face to face, would actually be awkward over the phone?

I never had the feeling of not knowing what to say like I did on the phone with my closest friends.
 techgirl27
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2005 2:53:06 PM
I dont think I "suck" at it, but sometimes with new people I am at a loss for words and have a hard time thinking of things to say.
 mcbobly
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2005 12:54:15 AM
I do as well, but then again I'm not much of a phone person either. I prefer most of my communication to be face to face. I do also understand that at some point that we have to do the phone thing to attempt to take the next step in the compatibility thing, but wow, it can be difficult sometimes.
 drpookie
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/23/2005 1:09:48 AM
Im the phone doctor, because i never talk on it, no one to talk with, except myself
 hdryder
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2005 1:42:04 AM
hey all...... wow ..... some of my best friends are talking about this one....

you know what?...... i sorta think we all do this... me though .... .dammmmmmmmnnnn..... i am gonna talk your ear offf tho'..... 'cuz like if i stop talking, i will denintely be exactly this.... have you lost a (what you think may be a ) good potential person from this?....

maybe if this is a problem, suggest meeting in person..... now we all know your secret and you cant use this as an excuse ofor not meeting us .....
you all take care now huh?
 huhoney
Msg: 27
Posted: 11/10/2005 11:18:04 AM
i do much better in person....my arms fall asleep holding the phone!
 astrosky
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2005 12:05:14 PM
Yep, often guilty of total brain freeze. The last time I talked to a "strange guy" on the phone, he said "so tell me about yourself" and my brain froze. I said "c'mon man, ask me something a little more specific, I can't cope with anything that open ended, nurse me along with yes/no questions for a little while until my brain unlocks".
 astrosky
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 11/12/2005 6:20:48 PM
^^^^^

And then there are those who are challenged at talking to the other sex no matter what the medium!
 BamaBob
Msg: 35
Posted: 12/9/2007 9:25:48 PM
I take spells when I do very well on the phone but for the most part I can express myself in writing much better. Keeping track of I'm talking about is the most difficult part. I can remember so many times that I'd be in the middle of a conversation and start drifting off into another tangent and totally forget about what I was originally talking about. I just get too much on my mind and try to squeeze it all out at the same time.
 boisegoodbadboy
Msg: 36
Posted: 12/9/2007 9:35:16 PM
just a word of caution talking on the phone...'specailly talking sex.
my doctor told me to be real careful having phone sex with someone
i dont know very well...

...could get hearing aids....
 BOIT
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2008 6:23:08 AM
I too hate talking on the phone...was just talking about this the other day. I like to keep calls down to 5 minutes. Much rather be face to face. Even IM is better than phone for me. I'm glad I'm not the only one.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Does anyone else suck at talking on the phone?