Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > 'toooo many fish in the sea?'      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 callendargirl
Msg: 1
'toooo many fish in the sea?'Page 1 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
I think we all agree, that this Plenty of fish is the best place to fish , and cast your rod. Hats off to the site!

However, if it is this site, (or one of those other sites who are dangling by threads , soon to be gone because we all love it here ,, swimming...... and fishing.... )

my question is.,,, ARE THERE TOOOOO MANY FISHES IN THE SEA!!!. Are we becoming too picky now that we have so many choices? When gramma met grampa at the box social (whatever that was) at church, did he have this many fish? When our parents met in highschool , didnt they search and choose from the smaller crowd. Now we have the option of thousands.

I think, that relationships and dates, and meetings, are almost like a ballot box.... we look and pick, we order as we would on a new car.. we select our options and if the newest selection... the one we have ordered doesnt come off the line with perfection , we tend to say , OH WELL NEXT.............
............. next ......

if we are back to fishing , we cast, fish a little,, hook and ........... toss that one back, he is too little, she is too big, he is out of season,.... oh god her gills are the wrong colour...............his tail is too short!

there are more fish in the sea........ I really hope , this isnt true, one day reality will hit and we will all still be here! still fishing! I myself, hope to hook one,, hook , line , and sinker!
 Majeau X!
Msg: 2
view profile
History
'toooo many fish in the sea?'
Posted: 10/8/2005 12:27:38 AM
I dunno about you, but my experience has been that yes, there ARE plenty of fish in the sea. But a high majority of them are bottom feeders, or your run of the mill cod. Only very rarely do you have the chance of bagging one of them swordfish.
 callendargirl
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/8/2005 12:39:46 AM
yes, lots of bottom feeders, lots of suckers..... but really and honestly do you think there is too many to choose from? and as i asked... TOO MANY , fish ?
 callendargirl
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/8/2005 12:48:03 AM
time... really , do you think so? do you think it is a better way? or is it disposable like everything,, slowly and surely is everything becoming disposable? this is the only way i date, no way for the blind dates or the friend set up,, so i hope this will work........... but my question, are we making this too easy too! what do you think?
 callendargirl
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/8/2005 12:58:30 AM
island, i do believe i have the maturity,,, however, although i look for my forever, when i meet , seems like all of us are looking for that 'prefect puzzle piece that fits'

sometimes, i wish i would .......... see........... but blindly! that will make sense to some!
 arri
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/8/2005 6:30:01 AM
Are we talking about the Candy Store mentality?
 bucsgirl
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/8/2005 6:54:24 AM
arrianno Yes, I've heard that term and I think it's relevant. And NOT gender based. Some people do better with a smaller selection because their idea of what they're looking for is very broad, so having fewer choices simplifies the decision making process. Some have a more narrowly defined set of parameters so whether there's few or many choices the decision making process is pretty much the same. On a dating site, it's always a temptation to fall into the candy store mentality, but I think you just end up wasting more time if you stray from what you really want, or give into the "give someone else a chance" way of thinking. Personally every time I've done that I've been disappointed. It's striking a balance in between going out with anyone who's not a convicted felon to having your parameters so narrowly defined it's like an extensive shopping list.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2005 7:01:39 AM
One can always choose their favourite cove and leave the greater waters be. Or you can be selective by being very particular with the bait you use. As to bottom feeders, if you say "No cheaters, liars, players..." then who do you think you are going top attract?

Too much of a good thing only becomes bad if we let it.
 arri
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/8/2005 7:18:45 AM
^^^^ Right on --- if you show that you are wounded and vulnerable, then you only attract the cheaters, liars and players.
 callendargirl
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/8/2005 8:55:37 AM
In my seven years of being single , i have had three long term great relationships, and all long distance. As soon as they were solid , and i saw we had something, i was out of the dating scene, and when i meet him, i will be again! I dont fish when i have enough to eat! I am not even tempted. so that isnt the issue.

I just think maybe people are a little toooo picky because there are many more options here. Candy store mentality? yes, I agree . , but I dont like candy! I would rather think of it as an appetizer before my wonderful dinner! lol
 brawnydog
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/8/2005 10:45:30 AM

Are we becoming too picky now that we have so many choices?

No. I just wanna be "Johnny Fishy Seed".

moo
 bucsgirl
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/8/2005 4:25:05 PM
ksue Your posts are always a favorite read so full of wisdom and absent of BS!!! If you're not being selective about someone you want to spend the rest of your life with, then I'd think what's wrong with that? A lot! You know what you're talking about and you say it so well. Just want to say thanks for your insightful posts.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/8/2005 4:40:06 PM
ksue You have it too, sweetie. You have the humor but most of all the cut to the chase around the BS wisdom. I love reading your posts, I learn from them. Thanks for that!!
OT: The internet and amazing technology has made the world a much smaller place. There are choices we never would have dreamed of. Rather than get overwhelmed or figure this is Home Shopping for Dates network, it can be used as a tool. Some of us are not using this as a New York City Yellow Pages Directory, trust me I've been there seen it...EGAD!!! It just makes things more available, but personally I would never be interested in a man in a country I could never even pronounce emailing me a marriage proposal. But, it happens, the thing is to learn to use it properly. I've met amazing people and some in my area that have been great friends.
 CountIbli
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/8/2005 7:25:55 PM
Personally I've found that I may meet a lot of women that I think I'm compatable with, but they simply aren't attracted to me. The opposite happens as well. The percentage of women out there where there's mutual attraction is vanishingly small. But what do we get when we multiply vanishing small with too many? Hopefully at least 1, though I have my doubts.
 Tila
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/8/2005 9:04:24 PM
too many fish in the sea? look what i've caught!!!
 callendargirl
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/8/2005 10:33:48 PM
philamon,, thank you for what you are trying to say......... but i am not deserving of that! I am just me,, simply cyn,, i am not above, beyond, behind, anyone .. anyone at all. I come across as confident,, which , I am ,, i come across as knowing what i want,, yes,, its a wish list and a dream, but dreams are our only realities we can create. If we dont dream we have nothing.............. what keeps people alive in adversities.

I cannot afford to be,,'highly selective' any more than you can! we are choosing life. choosing someone to share it! I am no different from you or anyone else on this site or any other site!

i thank you for your comments,, you sound wonderful! and as all of us are doing,, keep fishing!

c_deacon
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2005 11:15:07 AM
Many to get to know on here....both tall and small......

The whole point is that over time you can enjoy more than just one person in your life and care about them, even love them, and given the right situation, it will happen multiple times.

What you are looking for in my opinion....are the indicators and directions to find that one and take yourself out of the pond once found. Does not mean that you can not have friends or those you share many things with, what it does mean, at least to me, is that there is only one that comes home with you, and only one that goes to bed with you, and only one that knows you so well that there is no need to know another.

Just my opinion.....
 bucsgirl
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/9/2005 2:34:21 PM
livewire I've had that happen more times than I'd care to count. I actually did a thread called recycling contacts, apparently hit a nerve, it happens to everyone. And man we think alike, I call it the Date Shopping Channel, people use the internet like they're shopping for something. I've had them disappear for as high as 2 years, never met this guy, apparently not interested enough to meet for just a coffee, half a friggin hour. Starts writing calling TWO YEARS later. I said delete all my contact info, I don't believe ANYONE is that busy he's not president or anything..geez...and you just weren't that interested, so quit bugging me. He protested, giving more blah blah, I don't see a reason for you to ever call or contact me again. Wrote me a week or so ago, Just wanted to say hi and see how you were doing. Yeah right, NO response, block, delete. Don't they get it? I don't want to have you bother me ever, okay? I think that's a pretty clear message.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/9/2005 3:04:26 PM
HB My recyclers are ALL men I've never met. I was the one who wanted to cut to it, and they ALL contacted me first, were just so excited and so "into" me hahaha, and happy I returned their email. I'm just not gonna drag out the email phone stuff for 2 months or longer, yeah, they're busy, oh not this week, I have a meeting...lalalala. Well what the frick are you doing emailing women for dates, then? That's a line of BS, you're that busy take down your profile and leave me alone. Man, you find a woman that you SAY you think is incredible, she writes back and you can't meet for half an hour over a drink? Get outta town....they're lying about one thing or another, they're NOT that busy or they're NOT that interested. Either way, I don't care, meet me, or move on and don't waste time by trying to contact me again. That's the way it is. And I'm not sitting home desperate and dateless in the meantime, my inbox is always active, so why would I wring my hands over someone who won't do me the courtesy of getting his butt off the computer and meeting me for a drink. hahah Yeah, that's not happening.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/9/2005 3:50:25 PM
Actually guitarman, someone started a thread about this, and admin posted numbers. It was logins, ratio of men to women and guess what, it was 1.7 men to every 1 woman who had logged in. That's just people logging into the site. Yes, lots of variables, but consider that maybe the men log on more and are more active because they're traditionally the "pursuers". So the odds really aren't that stacked against the men. Look, I'm not questioning or arguing with you at all, but where did you get your numbers? That's the only solid figures I've seen admin, Big Fish the owner of the site post. If you have another post you could refer me to, I'd be happy to go there. I'm not trying to say you're wrong or challenge you, just telling you what I've seen from the owner of the site. If you have other info, I'd be more than happy to see that.
 cannuckswon
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2005 4:18:58 PM
there are a lot of fish in the sea but it depends on what part of the sea you are in. i havent met anyone on here anywhere close to where i live, so for now it is just enjoy the forums and hope for a favourable tide to wash some my way.
 cannuckswon
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2005 4:24:24 PM
im just hoping for another hurricane to wash all of you good looking florida women north.
 cannuckswon
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2005 4:28:47 PM
yeah that sure is a sexy visual norolim ot:does anyone else have the same problem , that all the fish are not where you are?
 cannuckswon
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2005 4:31:41 PM
i will alert the border patrol
 bucsgirl
Msg: 26
Posted: 10/9/2005 4:34:23 PM
I've gotten and sent Big Fish the site owner many times. He is an amazing individual, caring, patient and really wanting the best experience for ALL of us. I've written him before, and said, look I know you're busy just wanted to tell you blah blah, you don't even need to respond really. Guess what? Not only does he respond, but he writes an incredibly caring email, and thanks me. He really puts up with a lot to provide a chance for us to meet people, and it's all free. The mods, too. I couldn't being to say enough about how incredibly generous and caring he is and all the mods. Wonderful people, each and every one.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > 'toooo many fish in the sea?'