Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > THE GUITAR PLAYER'S THREAD      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ray38
Msg: 10
THE GUITAR PLAYER'S THREADPage 1 of 102    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
Hey, I was just at the music store, and I noticed that the Mexican made "Fender Strat", is virually half if not more than the American made one..Does anyone know if there is a big quality difference between the two?...I fully realize that the price of labour is cheaper in Mexico. I was just wondering if the craftmanship is negligible.

As a side bar, try the "Ernie Ball" Earthwood accoustic strings..They are dynamite, and I swear by them now.
 Ray38
Msg: 12
THE GUITAR PLAYER'S THREAD
Posted: 12/10/2004 10:22:24 PM
O.k guitarman, thanx for the tip...Now only if lp's can be made in mexico...lol
 Ray38
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/11/2004 9:25:47 AM
Because Lp's look soo much cooler slung low....Kidding
I do have an epi, and like it actually..Did change pick-ups a while back, so now need to change wiring...The strat I was eying will have to wait until after x-mas, and it may be the Mexican made one..And yes, I'll take you're advice, and do the floyd rose, with a split humbacker in the back, if I do go for the Strat...Sigh @ g.a.s..Thanks for you're input guitarman
 glichious
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 12/23/2004 7:53:24 PM
I have a power house strat which sounds wicked cool, I love it. My fav is fender...or ones I build...Hammer...actually are good, cheap, but good, great for someone on a 300-400 budget. Hmm Dan Electros are cool, Im not much for les pauls though because they don't have enough high range for me, great lows and mids though...plus I hit my arm on the knobs...

I have a Crate full stack...120 rms...gv1200 or something...I would like a blue voodoo or a crate tube stack, but we all bust a nut for Mesa "Boogie.....Fender Custom amps are killer too. I use 10's to13's for strings...always tune down, tune down and tune again...lol

I have been playing for 12 years...since 14.......no lessons
Music is great!
 Jackson*
Msg: 91
Posted: 1/9/2005 7:40:32 PM
I’ve got a Gibson Les Paul Custom electric, and a Martin D35 acoustic. But the one I play most, the one that’s on my lap as I type, is a $100 Samick classical. A fraction of the cost of the others, but d*mn it’s fun to play.
 Handsome_n_honest
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2005 2:35:55 AM
PRS, '72 Fender, Guild acoustic, and an old classical. Idon't know who makes 'cause the inside info is gone, but it is one of the sweetest thangs ever. Older guitars were better due to their wood: it was old growth. Nothing 'but new trees now...

Guitarman100, what do you think about the disortion on the "ZOOM Tri Metal TM-01"?
what do think about old and new, heavy and light guitars?
 Handsome_n_honest
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2005 2:36:58 PM
I play born yo' stomp with a pick, so I guess it don't matter. whatever suits your fancy.
 Handsome_n_honest
Msg: 153
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2005 9:17:13 PM
Guitarman, it ain't a multi, it's just plain dist.
 Handsome_n_honest
Msg: 158
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2005 9:16:05 PM
Why is that non-musicians can't see the difference between crapy and good music? U people see MTV lately? It's a bunch a crap, musically. I think musicians should be in charge of record companies and MTV
 Jackson*
Msg: 173
Posted: 2/8/2005 8:42:30 AM
Here’s my problem:

I’ve got an all-tube Ampeg amp which sounds like pure sex, deep down all warm and cozy (just how I like it). But ever since new it’s had this… subtle hum, right around the mid-range. I’ve had the tubes replaced and no one seems to be able to figure out the cause. At first it didn’t bother me, because the sex was so good. But it’s slowly driving me crazy.

Can’t believe I’m asking gear advice on a dating website, but some of you seem to know your stuff. Any ideas?
 Jackson*
Msg: 175
Posted: 2/8/2005 9:23:12 AM
Ampeg Model J-12T

It occurs with all guitars. But it is most noticeable with the warmer tones of say humbucker pickups. This in and of itself is a tragedy for this also brings the sexiest tones.

But before going further, let me make a correction. I shouldn’t have called it a hum. More of a light rattle really. Almost as if something is loose. But I’ve tightened everything and simply cannot locate the vibration. It occurs on the mid to low range. Not at the highs.

Also, it doesn’t occur when the amp is first turned on. It gets worse as the tubes warm up. Maybe I got bad replacement tubes?
 Jackson*
Msg: 177
Posted: 2/9/2005 5:16:49 AM
Thanks Late, i've got a lot of googleing to do.
 Handsome_n_honest
Msg: 194
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2005 10:53:41 AM
Guitarman, you fix guitars right?

Is it possible to intonate an acoustic?
 Jackson*
Msg: 202
Posted: 3/10/2005 3:31:50 PM
Confession time:

Does anyone else play guitar in the bathroom? Best acoustics in the house.
 Handsome_n_honest
Msg: 212
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2005 11:52:03 PM
Very true of the bathroom acoustics. Try the empty garage someitme. Thanks for the advice Late and G-man. I changed the gauge, and yet no perfect intonation, so I carved out a bone bridge nut with different "bridge-to-headstock" distances. Much better now, but it took a few pieces... and a bunch o'time. This was for a cheap guitar though. I wonder why these cheap guitars don't come with a intonatable bridge? Maybe one of us could start a new fad... or maybe pre make variable bridgenuts? Is there such a product?
 Handsome_n_honest
Msg: 217
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2005 9:52:26 PM
If you've just started guitar, as I think i read in an earlier post, you may not have prefect pitch ears yet, a Tuner is a great help
 Jackson*
Msg: 222
Posted: 3/14/2005 3:10:23 PM
Just placed it on hold at the library.

My frugality knows no bounds.
 Handsome_n_honest
Msg: 223
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2005 10:34:07 PM
I meant to intonate - not tune. Doing it by ear is pointless if you have no concept of perfect pitch, which is natural in some, and takes a long time to develop in others. I do agree that if you can't tune your guitar by ear though, YOU NEED TO LEARN HOW TO. Ever notice that the tone you hear when you pick your phone is the harmonic over the 5th fret of your A string? It's near perfect...
 Handsome_n_honest
Msg: 226
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2005 12:54:57 AM
So you can perfectly intonate your electric without any type of tuner? Late? if so, I have to call

well not bullsh*tbut can you teach me how??? Jesus, I never heard of that.
 Handsome_n_honest
Msg: 228
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2005 2:03:47 AM
Very good. I know about most of what you said, but I've never heard/learned about how many times you wrap your strings around the tuning posts. Can you explain that one... I truly never heard of.

p.s. I make a Sears guitar sound like a Guild with My left hand.... I heard you could too from a few posters here.
 Handsome_n_honest
Msg: 230
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2005 2:21:32 AM
Okay with the caps G-man. I get it: get a peterson tuner. I'd rather my old a$$ tuner I've had for ten years, or my seven tuning forks - never let me down yet and all my $$ go into University. I've known how to intonate my electrics for 11 years now, and was wondering what your CAPS and REREAD1410 had to do with the number of loops on your tuning posts, like my post above yours asks...
 Handsome_n_honest
Msg: 233
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2005 2:31:56 AM
Nawh on the three wraps.... I was just wondering why the # of wraps would affect the intonation, whether 2 or 5, and how?

My tuner... d*mn I'll have to get back to you on that one... I have not a f'kn clue. It's black, red, and white, and got a dial on it, it's probably as old as my dad. That's all I ever need to know. My tuning forks tell me it's still dead on for accuracy, so that's the important part right.

edit:
Thanks Late...Shite you really know your stuff, as others suggested huh? Are you a studio musician? You know, the "fill-in" better than the band recording...Laughs! It always makes me laugh when I hear of someone actually getting signed, and not being able to record their own music.
 Handsome_n_honest
Msg: 236
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2005 2:45:01 AM
Perfect pitch is my dream, i'd say i'm about 5 out of 7. Still working on it though... For some reasons certain notes stand out more than others... My best friend has different notes stand out than mine.

I wonder why that is... Do certain people hear diefferent pitches better than others? Is there such a thing as an B# person or a Cb. Maybe they should do a study on this, then promote it like the zodiac. D people are compatible in a relationship with other Ds, As, F#...etc...

Instead of listing the zodiacs on our profiles, it could list our pitches...
 Wickens
Msg: 255
Posted: 3/23/2005 7:53:22 AM
Anyone do any home recording stuff?
New here, quick gear list:
Mesa triple recto /w oversized mesa 4x12
2 gibson les pauls, one with pickups ordered by Steve Vai personally
2 Ibanez, one RG470, and a 270DX with 81/85 EMG combo
2 Pod XT's /w upgrades
Carvin TS100 tube poweramp
Marshall 1960A 4x12
POS marshall JCM2000 that sounds like butt and shocks whoever uses it
Mac G5 /w dual 2ghz CPU, 1gb ram, 240gig internal drive, 240 gig external firewire, protools, digidesign 002 protools firewire rack unit <- mostly why i'm hear, i want to learn some recording technique's for drums/guitars, and if anyone wants some samples of my personal direct recordings that suck. Steve Vai's engineer is teaching me basics, but he's really busy, and i think he hates it when i call him at the studio because i forget that the mute button is turned on whenever the 002 rack is powered up ehhe
http://www.angelfire.com/80s/wickens
Most of those are from about 4 years ago, a couple from when i was REALLY lazy with my guitar playing.

- Rock on!
 Wickens
Msg: 258
Posted: 3/23/2005 2:16:05 PM
Chet Atkins has an amazing sound, havnt heard much of his stuff, but he was really good!
And i'm going to take a look at that speaker sim when i get a chance, always up for new toys
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > THE GUITAR PLAYER'S THREAD