Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Does God answer prayer?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RDtoo
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Does God answer prayer?Page 1 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Simple question, right? Think about it before you answer. There have been answers to prayer but does our prayer get God to change His mind? Or was He already going to answer our prayers before we said them? Jesus set down a model for prayer in "the Lord's Prayer" and while it does request God to "give us our daily bread" and request that our trespasses be forgiven, it does not cover finding a new job, a mate, etc. So what do you think? Does God answer prayer?
 sweetshyone
Msg: 2
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/23/2005 11:49:18 PM
I believe he hears them and does answer them. When, that is the real question? For my sack and others, I hope soon (though it doesn't seem to be going that way right now).
 sidheanwwyn
Msg: 3
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/23/2005 11:50:17 PM
did you know that the definition of prayer, and the definition of magick are almost identical?

magick - the use of personal energy, focused to purpose by the mind and will, to affect a change in onesself or one's environment

the only difference is that the definition of prayer throws in the god thing.
 RDtoo
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/23/2005 11:53:35 PM
Sid, that is seriously a good point and is actually one of the reasons I began this thread. Some people want to think prayer is some kind of magic thing which I believe is unbiblical.
 sidheanwwyn
Msg: 5
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/24/2005 12:13:03 AM

Sid, that is seriously a good point and is actually one of the reasons I began this thread. Some people want to think prayer is some kind of magic thing which I believe is unbiblical.

yah, yah, yah. "unbiblical" being a bad thing, i suppose. i think if more people took responsibility for their own shit, and quit bugging god with trivia, the world would be a better place. you hear it all the time, "pray for this or that". how about WORKING for it? you'll probably get better results.

anyway - without getting too far into what i actually believe, because i doubt many are interested, i think the concept of prayer is a valid one. it involves asking for intervention from a deity(in whatever form makes you most happy), in order to affect change. while i really can't relate to the christian god, or the christian worldview, i do believe that there is a sentience that pervades the universe, that we all participate in. i don't think it really matters what name you call it by.
 Dharma
Msg: 6
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/24/2005 1:56:47 AM
I think God answers every prayer. Answers are multiple choice:
a) Yes
b) No
c) Not now
d) None of the above

If you didn't feel you got an answer... think more about what you asked? And go back to a-d. Ask again until you learn something about your question. So, question your question even more than the 'answer' (or 'seemingly' lack-of)
 Dharma
Msg: 7
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/24/2005 3:56:36 AM
Well, I've always kinda liked the 'prayer with props' that happens in Catholic church (though I don't go). I kinda feel that that Church embraces (though has a TERRIBLE HISTORY THAT THEY have denounced...) embraces pagan WITH christian ideas... maybe I am wrong. For a long time I hated this church based on my knowledge of history... but I think now the Catholic church is teaming with pagan and goddess-worshiping faith. Afterall, really the Catholic church (despite the other women problems) is the church that keeps the sacredness of the female, "mary" (and even invited speeches on GAIA, by Lovelock.) I have great hope for the Catholic Chruch. For a few years I was afraid, but I don't think I am, anymore. I think this is changing for the good of all. I hope, at least.
 EdwardVII
Msg: 8
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/24/2005 9:48:20 AM
I have given this subject a great deal of research both on line and in the vast Vatican library. The results are finally in and it has been found in the year 1647, God awarded the contract for prayer to an outside group from the planet Xenon. From that moment on, all of the prayers were diverted from Heaven to Xenon. The Prayer Sorting Group, or PSG were charged with the following:

a) Listening to the prayers, in all languages, 24/7.

b) Tracing each one to a specific individual.

c) Recording the prayer digitally.

On a daily basis, CD's arrive at God's home in Heaven, where they are reviewed by God's staff of administrative angels. Here they are read, and sorted according to degree of severity. The really heavy ones are set aside and reserved for God's special attention.

God receives the heavy duty prayers and files them carefully and goes out for his morning fly.

Ed..
 tim49250
Msg: 9
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/24/2005 8:09:02 PM
The evidence is there but only in percentages.
 sum1reel
Msg: 10
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/24/2005 9:28:40 PM
the key 2 getting your prayers answered is in knowing what his pre-ordained will is 4 you!...if you know this (and few pple do) then its a breeze.......it is virtually useless to pray 4 something that is outside his will 4 you, cuz you will hear a big loud 'nothing'......or, he will bestow upon you something virtually the opposite of what you were expecting, just to serve as an indicator that you are not going in the 'right' spiritual direction.......be careful what you pray for, cuz what you'll see is what you get!
 ASB
Msg: 11
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/24/2005 9:45:55 PM
I don't think God answers all prayers. If He did, we would be spoiled kids to Him and sometimes get what we REALLY don't want. I think though that if the prayer is coming humbly from you, it happens. But yes, He does answer prayers!
 RDtoo
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/24/2005 9:53:12 PM
The very fact that some see prayer and magic as being similar, shows us that we need to divorce ourselves from our current views on prayer.
 GreenEyesAndHam
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/24/2005 10:43:16 PM
I'm not religious, but I enjoy these quotations about prayer:

"Practical prayer is harder on the soles of your shoes than on the knees of your trousers." – Austin O’Malley

"Most people do not pray; they only beg." – George Bernard Shaw

GE&H
 grplaman
Msg: 14
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/25/2005 9:22:51 AM
We get either, 1 of 3 anwers to our prayers. It's either, Yes, no or not yet. Most prayers go unanswered because we ask, for selfing reasons. God knows exactly what we need prior to asking it of him. God is the best father of them all and he wants responsible children not selfish gready ones. If you feel your prayers were not answered-God also tells us to keep on praying for it.you'll get your answer..but, you got to listen REAL hard. Also too, many prayers ARE answered, but we were to busy to listen for the answer and lost the chance of direction.

My theory is, ask one question at a time....then, wait. Alot of people pray to God about a few things all at one time........and then, if they are answered...they don't know what answer went to what prayer..UGH. But, not matter what........if your prayers are not answered, God assures us that everyone of our tears is recorded and He is listening and watching.
 sum1reel
Msg: 15
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/25/2005 5:06:05 PM
at feral

[-By that logic, though, Sum, it's useless to pray: worse, it's potentially dangerous-]

as i said, it is useless to pray(to god) 4 something that is not his will 4 you....he will either ignore it...OR, he will give you something which will hopefully steer you on the path of his will...whether you think thats a dangerous thing to do will depend on your outlook toward prayer and expectations....god never gives you more that what he knows you can handle, whether you feel he's reprimanding you or not!.....many pple think that praying is making a wish list and begging god to make good on it,...they'll have better luck with santa-claus!
 E.Kyro
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/26/2005 8:22:55 AM
Mar 11:23 I assure you that whoever tells this hill to get up and throw itself in the sea and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him.
Mar 11:24 For this reason I tell you: When you pray and ask for something, believe that you have received it, and you will be given whatever you ask for.
Mar 11:25 And when you stand and pray, forgive anything you may have against anyone, so that your Father in heaven will forgive the wrongs you have done.

For the christian, it doesn't get much simpler than this.

This can even include sometimes getting prayer aswered that in hindsight I wished hadn't been.
"watch what you pray for, you may get it."
 E.Kyro
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/26/2005 12:12:54 PM
Lol, that book almost had me in tears too. But not for the same reasons. I just pray I never have to read another Bronte sisters book in this lifetime.
 masterspirit
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/26/2005 12:30:38 PM
rdtoo
In my own experience I've found that God does answer prayer.I don't think its in his own time as much as during periods of receptivity.For me that is when I'm walking , listening to music or sitting in nature.I can ask God something and it might takes days to get an answer but thats because of ME not him.I don't picture God saying "well let me get back to you on that".I think God has the answers to ALL our prayers its just a matter of us asking him and interpreting those answers correctly--which sometimes takes time.I think its also based on your motivation-say you want a job for status or money because your materialistic then God will teach you not to be.But if you want a job or mate to provide for your family and love and be happy then the teaching is different there too.So I think that God answers all prayers--no matter how ridiculous-according to what that person needs.
 Dharma
Msg: 19
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/26/2005 5:13:45 PM
There are people who 'pray' at football games, no kidding (someone reading this has done this.) People, ALL THE TIME, ask for God to help the team, or the play, or (way worse) to do something bad to a player on another team--even like "God, break that quarterback's leg, please." (That's more about 'prey,' than pray.) My answer is somewhat karmic... praying for harm to another is absurd. Praying for help with something that makes no difference in the well-being of humanity or your family and friends, (that's not the outcome of a sport game), doesn't make sense.

I guess the advice I give, right now, about prayer is:
1. Don't try to make deals. "If you do this, I will..." That, now, seems to me like attempting to bribe God.
2. Ask for honorable purpose.
3. Understand that if your prayer is not answered as you hoped, that you might not know as much as God.
4. And, sometimes (borrowing from JFK) ask not what can do for you, but what you can do for...

Few ideas, for now.
 Dharma
Msg: 20
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/26/2005 5:23:20 PM
littletwin: And that is certainly the honorable way to pray about a sport... those are the ones that I think make a difference. Thanks.

Peace.
 RDtoo
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/26/2005 10:08:06 PM
Littletwin, reading your post I was reminded of the little boy who prayed before he participated in a soap box derby race. His mother asked him if he had prayed to win and he replied "No. I just prayed that I would not cry if I lost". That is probably the proper attitude for prayer.
 Dharma
Msg: 22
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/26/2005 10:23:43 PM
I told this story once before, but I'll say it quick, again.

My grandma and grandpa partly raised me. Very close. Last year my grandma suddenly started doing weird things like moving my grandparents bedroom to another room and giving away important items... she died of a massive heart attact about two weeks later.

My grandpa, a strong man (they had been married 60 years--sixty years married, wow--at that time)... we had been tilling soil for an organic garden weeks before she died. He almost died AT her funeral. Everyone prayed for him, including me. He lived. His health went downhill after my grandma died... he needed meds, started dialasis, etc etc... He was miserable. We prayed. He lived.

We prayed. He almost died many times. He lived. Finally, he was in the hospital and in mostly a coma. My dad called me to say that grandpa is likely going to die in a few hours. Go to the hospital, NOW, if you want to see him. I STOPPED. I THOUGHT. I PRAYED. I asked not that he keep on living, if that isn't what God or he wanted, but rather that his family have a chance to say goodbye to him (and he could tell grandma)...

He came out of a coma for ONE day--the day many people, family and friends, came to see him. Although he had gone weeks without knowing where he was, he knew everyone THAT DAY. My child, his great grandchild, gave him a flower--in his funny, normal way, he said, 'awwe' sweetie 'beautiful,' and then he stuck the stalk in his mouth and clamped the flower between his teeth.

He died, soon after.

I am thankful, and at peace, with that.
 Canadian Romantic
Msg: 23
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/26/2005 10:27:07 PM
God answers in 3 ways: "Yes", "No", and "Wait"
 EdwardVII
Msg: 24
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/27/2005 6:51:01 PM
Dear Hb2 :

What's that supposed to mean? I never wear a toga any more. I have no pictures either. Where's this going? Get back with details, I can take it...

Ed..
 Dei Gratia
Msg: 25
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/28/2005 2:26:33 AM
The Lord is always in the process of answering prayer, but there are times that He requires us to wait. In our fast-paced society, we want (selfish) results. But Jesus taught that we must have a steadfast Holy Spirit in prayer. (Luke 18.1-7)
God's reasons for delay vary, but He invarbly intends for us to benefit by having waited a season.
*Sin and Rebellion* God will withhold an answer if He detects unforgivenes, bitterness, or disobedience, or if He sees unhealthy habits forming in our lives. Our hearts desire may be packaged and ready for delivery, but God cannot send it until we are spiritually ready to receive.
*Faith* The Lord's ultimate goal is to build our faith by teaching us more about Himself. Sometimes He achieves this by postponing an answer to prayer. As we speak to Him of our need and ultimately see Him respond, we learn who He is and how He operates. We also discover that He is always trustworthy.
*Patience* Steadfast prayer requires patience, a trait believers often have to learn. Our sense of the perfect moment for an answer - usually right now -is different from god's. patience allows us to endure until the timing is right.
If we are sincere about developing a steadfast, God-centered prayer life, we will not give up after presenting a single request. We will do as the Lord tells us and keep asking, seeking, and knocking on the door of heaven until He either says no or gives us our hearts desire. We are not bothering God,we are communicating with God our Father.

"All that I do I do unto myself."
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Does God answer prayer?