Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Does Anyone Still Believe and Desire To Live Life Like It Was In The      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 wvgin
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Does Anyone Still Believe and Desire To Live Life Like It Was In The "Old Days"?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Hi all, I have a question that may have already been addressed, but I have been pondering this for some time now and would like some other opinions.

With the way the World and Society are today I can't help but wonder if anyone longs for "Back When" "The Good Old Days"

What happened to the days that Mom took care of the Dad, the house and the kids (also worked outside the home in some cases) and Dad (Significate Other) Took care of Mom, Discipline, Bills, Cars, Yard, and of course Fix everything that Breaks(lol)?

What Happened to Common Respect, Compassion for Others, Honesty and Most Important Faithfulness? Doesn't anyone have Values anymore? And we wonder why there are so many Divorces, Affairs, Abused or Neglected Kids. Everyone uses everyone any more. No one really seems to care about anyone but themselves. What happened to "The Old Days"?
 Frrosty
Msg: 2
Does Anyone Still Believe and Desire To Live Life Like It Was In The Old Days?
Posted: 10/27/2005 4:18:52 PM
Yes; most people DO still have VERY strong values. Unfortunately; they all revolve around...you know...

themselves.

(and can be forgotten when opportunity arises)

bucsgirl
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/27/2005 5:18:55 PM
Values are eternal. It's society that changes. So those who have the supposed old fashioned values just has to find someone who shares those values who have also learned to integrate them into modern society and life. This is a great topic, unicorn. We cannot live like other generations can, but we can preserve as much of that as we can. We can still have family values with two parents working or single parents. Values are values, whether it's mom having cookies in the cookie jar and being home when the kids walk home from school or a dual parent household. You cling to those things that are important and dear to you and just figure out how to incorporate that into life in a modern society the best that you can. There are still many solid families who are passing on that heritage. There always will be.
 grplaman
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/27/2005 5:53:48 PM
I miss the good old days......but, i can act as if they are still here by holding on to values, and good thoughts and putting others first. Today, values are considered, weaknesses. But, I don't think that way at all, we must all struggle to still find the good in people and things and situations. I do, it's not easy-but i know that what God wants me to do. Sure, I screw up all the time..but the secret is-KEEP TRYING AND DON'T GIVE UP. If someone is cruel and hateful-ignore them-flee them...those types, "kill souls".
 wvgin
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2005 5:55:18 PM

When I saw this thread I thought it meant like Little House on the Prarie

I was wondering how long it would take someone to make this connection or Ozzie and Harriet....And in a sense I am talking about that way of life, but only in a sense.

I was trying to hit the Values, Respect, Responsibility, Priorities part of that time frame. Not the Stay at Home Mom side of it. As a single mom of 3, that is a long ago dream. Unfortunartly these days that is all it is...a dream. In order to just make the ends meet we have to be a 2 income family....everything has gotten so expensive but the wage has not increased with it, but that is another subject entirely.

I was simply talking about the way the World is today as a whole.
 wvgin
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2005 5:56:38 PM

Yes; most people DO still have VERY strong values. Unfortunately; they all revolve around...you know...

themselves.

This is how I see it also. But why isn't this way? What Changed?
 Double Cabin
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2005 8:55:33 PM
I want the 70s back sans polyester.
 am70sguy
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2005 10:19:27 PM
I think for the most part people want to be good people have generally have good values. The move of society to a two income society in order to obtain middle income status, the work work work to make the mighty dollar (who often you hear in the last 10 years how 50-60 hour work weeks are the norm in order to keep that company looking good in the stock market you ain't making a dime from), etc. detract from peoples time and energy to be as good, communicative, and giving as they would otherwise be. By the time you catch up on kid duty and choring after working, there just isn't a whole lot left. The US is horrible in that requiring so much work out of people IMHO.
 callendargirl
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/27/2005 11:16:59 PM
oh yes, take me back to those old days , when we bathed in a barrel, filled with filthy water .......... men wore long underwear for days and weeks at a time.. women weren't much better ............ oh yes!

sorry,, this post was getting to serious! In all honesty I would just like to go back to Leave it to Beaver days! seemed simpler then!
 sammysalt
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/3/2005 3:59:10 AM
There are a lot out there like that, but they don't speak up as much as the ones that are tring to justfi what they are doing. So the country can forum around them as the nor. Sad but so true.
 YamIhere
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2005 5:52:56 AM

What happened to "The Old Days"?

This is really very simple - Mom no longer needs dad and dad no longer needs mom to do all the things you mentioned. There’s no longer any tangible need between man and woman. Thank technology. The "old days" are just that - old. Times have irreversibly changed.
 YamIhere
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2005 12:55:59 PM
Yep, I think it would be neat to get a mule, a cow, some chickens and 40 acres. Get rid of the Internet, TV, video games, cell phones, washing machines, microwave ovens, all convenience foods, anything disposable. Just think, if you want butter, you’ll be churning it yourself. Bet fresh butter tastes great!
 wvgin
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2005 4:52:27 PM
psdoffgal

This is exactly my point. I was a stay at home mom and enjoyed every minute of it. The hardest thing for me to do was go back to work after kicking my ex out. I am a firm believer in the stay at home mom. I don't agree with all this new feminism crap. Women were put on this earth to tend to family, households and husbands. The man was meant to be the provider.

I'm sorry but I do disagree with alot that has been said in this post about the "old days" being worse or at least as bad as they are now. There are so many more problems with society as a whole that we didn't have when we were growing up, or our parents. Yes, there were problems and the depression, but you know what, family meant more than it does today. Kids were tended to and not left alone for hours on end, they were disciplined, but mostly they were tought to have Respect for their elders...there is NO Respect with children these days. Haven't you noticed kids killing parents, siblings, etc. I'm sorry but the problems we have today out weigh the problems of yesterday 10 to 1. With there being little to no supervision or guidence and leaving our kids to their own divises how are the kids supposed to learn wrong from right? In the schools, the daycares, babysitters? I'm sorry but I didn't have children just to have someone else raise them. I want the joy of raising and seeing my children grow and learn, not just be a guardian to them. Another problem with society today.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Does Anyone Still Believe and Desire To Live Life Like It Was In The "Old Days"?