Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Why Do Non-Christians Celebrate,The Birth of Christ & Holy-Days ???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Valya
Msg: 2
Why Do Non-Christians Celebrate,The Birth of Christ & Holy-Days ???Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I think its a matter of tradition. But i can really relate to what you said..i have never in my life celebrated Christmas..only New Years. We still have a tree, and gifts and parties exc, but its never to celebrate Christmas. Particularily in Ukraine only a few years ago there was still traces of communism. Its hard to get rid of something someone has been living with all their lives therefore it obviously took more time than maybe it was thought. Anyways..as you might see Religion and Communism are two different powers, both are powerful and to have two in rivalry would be a problem. So..for a time, religion was almost wiped out so to speak..to get married in a church or to have a a baptism was rare..and if done there might be problems depending on your status. Iam pretty sure that every other country in the world celebrates Christmas...
 shannanigan
Msg: 16
Why Do Non-Christians Celebrate,The Birth of Christ & Holy-Days ???
Posted: 5/4/2005 12:42:31 PM

Actually, Christmas and Easter were both Pagan days of celebration prior to Bible-Thumpers of old taking those days over in an effort to stamp out the Pagan religion and practices.

I find it rather interesting (not to mention all to convenient) how many
Christian holidays coincide with ancient Pagan ones. Sorta makes me
think even more that the whole Christianity thing... a set-up.

Wasn't Halloween originally called "Samhain"... until the Christians
changed it to All Hallow's Eve/ All Saint's Day?
 Airmage80
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2005 6:25:33 PM
Hey Poppa,

Why have you not done your homework yet?

Here is how I see the history of all religions (anyone who is knowledgeable in any area's feel free to amend away)

1. the early humans knew one thing...nature was all around them and they needed it to survive.
2. they figured out that they needed rules/guidelines in order to better survive in nature, so they discovered/created ritual in order to get in touch with nature and her spirits.
3. they then got the idea that with something happening with the rituals they were doing that there must be something, they could not see, hearing/knowing what they were saying/doing so they tought for the first time...Deity.
4. then they figured that since nature was so varied that Deity had to be as well so Polytheism was born (hence Non-christianity came first).
5. then civilization grew and the known Pagan religions cam into being like unto what the Greeks and Romans and very early English had.
6. then christianity came (probably by someone thinking why should we worship so many Deities when it would be easier to only worship one who could do everything), and said we are right all those not of us die. Hence the Salem Witch Trials/burnings and for the most part the Crusades :(.
7. then while christianity flourished through punishing Pagans and those assumed to be with them, Paganism went underground fearing for their very uninterfering lives. Persecuted for being who/what they chose to be like all...correction some christians (chose their religion that is. The rest were converted against their will, think about it in reality no-one likes being controlled and that's what was being done by themselves being converted...they were being bugged until they gave in and converted. I should know as that's what happened to me right after moving here to Utah by the local, so called tolerant, mormons.).
8. then after many decades of living under fear of nonsensical persecution for being different, Paganism finally came back into the sun with new laws of religous freedom in tow to finally protect them/us.

So the Pagan religions came first and therefore most if not all the celebration-days came from Pagan religions "converted" by christians for the sole purpose of "converting" more people to *A* religion whos followers fervently believed they were the only religion and through that wrongfull logic believe that all other religions are not right for anyone, and therefore most if not all christians are selfish and most definately arrogant (in terms of their religion and its standing as compared to all others).

Just my 2 cents as a friend once told me that all religions were a way to look at one thing...what will happen to us after this life? All religions have one goal in mind and answering this very question is that goal so no-one religion has any right to state they are the right one for all because humans are all varied and as different as the religions the christians persecuted and killed in the name of "Religous Tolerance" *Bows deeply*.
 CountIbli
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/2/2005 6:10:00 PM
On Dec 25 I celebrate the birthday of one of the greatest human beings of all time: Sir Isaac Newton. He invented calculus, revolutionized the field of mechanics, created a theory of gravity that stood unscathed for nearly 300 years (and still used today for most purposes), and rewrote the book (literally) on optics. Not bad for a guy only 24 years old. He then went on to make important contributions to thermodynamics and hydrodynamics, and invented the modern reflecting telescope.

The only thing Jesus did was misquote Scripture and get himself killed.
 CountIbli
Msg: 26
Posted: 8/2/2005 6:12:09 PM
Maybe thousands of years ago Satan told all the Pagans which days Christians were going to someday use for holy days. You just stole all the holy days before Christians had a chance to implement them. Very clever, but I see through you.
 -One-
Msg: 27
Posted: 8/2/2005 8:14:18 PM
13th, Enchantress wants me to tell you, that was the best most honest answer so far!
 tyme_gypsy
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2005 6:56:17 AM
Righton, PW. I am not sure WHAT the rest of you people are smoking but if you can put it down long enough, I'd love to have ANY of you cite ANY part of The Constitution that establishes a "separation of church and state".
While you're at it find me ANY part of The Constitution that says we may not FREELY practice our religion anywhere, anytime in any way we see fit as long as it doesn't violate noise ordinances.
(listens to the crickets Chirping)

artistaca
Actually, Christmas and Easter were both Pagan days of celebration prior to Bible-Thumpers of old taking those days over in an effort to stamp out the Pagan religion and practices.

Will the ignorance never end?????? (rolls eyes-->@¿@ This situation you're citing is the work of the catholic church in the time of Constantine. This has NOTHING to do with the Christian church which existed then and now, outside of Catholicism. The cathoolic church is not now, and has never been "bible thumpers". Bible BURNERS, yes. Christian BURNERS, yes. Bible THUMPERS; no.

artistaca
If you want to think about the facts, what the hell do Christmas trees, gift-giving and receiving, lights on the houses and Christmas trees, candy canes, decorating eggs that are mythically hidden by a rabbit, jellybeans and other confectionaries, etc., have to do with the birth and death of Christ?

Nothing, these are all secularist (READ: pagan/satan's followers, knowingly or otherwise) practices

kr8ztwin
hes right...the worshiping of the rabbit was a pagan ritual that was introduced into the Easter Holiday. I'm serious...i did research on it heh.

I can tell. Your research was so thorough that you didn't bother to find out that Christians have never worshipped a rabbit, easter eggs, candy......(heh)
 tyme_gypsy
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2005 7:20:22 AM
Sure not-so-enchantress.
Again its easy to dust off your complaints...

justaguy13

Msg: 4
1.) Separation of church and state has not yet totally come about so I am FORCED to recognize some of your christian religious holidays. I live in Canada, not the US.
 Dei Gratia
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/3/2005 7:59:18 AM
Marketing, greedy dollar, and peoples wants.... Bang
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Why Do Non-Christians Celebrate,The Birth of Christ & Holy-Days ???