Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > people please be careful on here and anywhere      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sugarnspice30
Msg: 1
view profile
History
people please be careful on here and anywherePage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Folks on here don't exactly tell all of their history or background so thats why we have to check them out always get their real last name,first name that way you can look them up.Go to goggle.com and type in Raleigh Dept.of Corrections choose offender you will be surprised what you find out!!who knows you could be dating or going out with a serial Killer and this message applies to ladies too lets try being more care on the net.
Thank You
 Puckerdillo
Msg: 2
people please be careful on here and anywhere
Posted: 11/7/2005 12:25:15 PM
Good point until you look at prison statistics, they're full of dumbasses. The smart ones don't get caught.
 kellie0317
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/7/2005 12:55:14 PM
You can also check any city directory. I've never had a problem yet..
 MsOpinionated
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/7/2005 2:51:54 PM
When conversing with anyone on the net, you should be cautious. Not just for women but their familes as well. Seen many profiles on here with hometown, last name and children's pics. Not something I'd take chances with..
 MsOpinionated
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/7/2005 2:52:46 PM
Even if you do check a phone/net directory.. What does that tell you??? That they live someplace?? Good enough for me!
 born2rescue
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/7/2005 2:54:36 PM
please becarefull all the good looking woman on here are amazing warning!!
will cause shortness of breath
bitting of toungue
something in pants to shift
sweats
cold flashes
etc
 Tinkle
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/7/2005 3:16:34 PM
buy pepper spray, mace, gun, stun gun. They work well.
 BarnBabe
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/7/2005 3:21:48 PM
When meeting someone for the first time:

Let someone know where exactly you'll be going and how long you expect to be there

Never NEVER meet someone at your own home for the first meet.

Do NOT get in the same car as the guy.

Take a cell phone. You don't have to leave it on, but have it on your person in case you need it.

Leave the guys information with someone. His name, phone number, etc, just in case he turns out to be a lunatic. Then at least someone else will have contact information.
 sugarnspice30
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2005 7:11:14 AM
Well now im guilty of this i must say only because i have talked to the person a long time on the net and the phone and i do not own or drive a car so i hav e no choice but i limit my people i have to have really have talked to them for months,trust me it does work I have dated a guy from DC and he visted my home nothing happened im still here but i will agree don't play with it but i would not rule it out if the circumstances are you don't drive and i know you guys will say catch a bus or get a cab but where im from thats just to much its all about trail and error like i said i have done the come to my house thing and the other result i get is they just really want to see that im really who i say i am and goodbye never hear or see them again.Now understand what im saying no not in the house if you feel uncomfortable you can meet like in the park in your neighborhood if you feel comfortable with a thing because i hear so many horror things on the net and its just not true it really doesn't happen ,meeting people on here is just like meeting someone at a grocery store Hell i have ven been to a guys house before twice and nothing bad happened i was lucky so thats the flip side you have guys not really females but guys who will invite you to their house its up to us weather to feel comftable with it .Im not going to say to much because a modeerator wrote me about something i said on here which was wierd cause i was only speaking the truth but oh wellthats the way it is i guess.
 thejamiecat
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/8/2005 7:16:19 AM
it makes me kind of sad that there are people out there who clearly don't have enough common sense so that we even NEED PSA posts like these... know what i mean??

(p.s. that wasn't an insult to the OP, just saying people should be smart!)
 kuddlebum
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/8/2005 8:25:06 AM
Advantage of the net,,,,,this should be called!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on peoples,,that bad ones in life ,in general,, make it worse for everyone that is real.

Is to bad when you meet someone in a public place ,,example a bar, or gathering you couldn't do the same huh???(unless you have your damn laptop with you ,,get their information and go to the bathroom and look them up)

Yes be careful,,,but there is a some extremes as well,

But damn if you are soo afraid of everything,,,,,

DO NOT LEAVE YOUR HOUSE!!!!

Life,,,is scarey no matter what!!!!!!!!

But I LOVE life!!!!

Common Sense is a great gift!!!
 Byrd
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2005 9:38:28 AM
O.K.,O.K...Get this my name is George W. Bu.... lets see what we get District of Columbia dept of corrections... Yep it's good to check you might also wanna check Megans Law (your state). Gov for sex offenders sonofa**** could give you a false name most of these sites have pictures..Good hunting...
 Scream1969
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/8/2005 11:40:51 AM
I'm with kuddlebum on this. Of course use the same common sense you would use when meeting anyone new, but for God's sake live your lives people. An incredibly small portion of the population are actually serial killers, regardless of what CNN might tell you...
 MsOpinionated
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/8/2005 5:05:07 PM
A person doesn't have to be a serial killer to be dangerous. No one is saying to hide away from society, but rather to use your head to approach with caution. It should go without saying if you ask me. Some people are far too naive to the real dangers present in this world. Not everyone is dangerous of course but let's face it, you could meet 1000 nice people online but it only takes one to change your world in a negatively profound way.
 fl_cntry_boy
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2005 7:31:52 PM
I worked as a correctional officer and yes there are some bad bad boys walkin loose in our sociciety. 1 thing I did learn you can call and check till your fingers hurt and to a sosciapath you will never find the bad one unless they want you to. There saying is true I'm not guilty till they ketch me !!! the ones that wernt so good are locked up !!!!!!!!!!!!! So take norolim's advice let every one know set times and if your runnin late call and say your ok.Mace to the truly crazy one is like sprayin candy in there face a gun is a no no unless you can gurantee yourself without a doubt you can kill someone if you do'nt he will us it on you.Tazer or stun gun yuppers and rite in the jewel chest hit em with it and start movin an do'nt look back.o.k now that every one is paranoid about dating jeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzLike what was said if you that damn worried stay in your house bolt the doors an hide in the corner.

From minute to minute day to day wehave no control on what happens around us your neighbor of 30 yrs could have been laid of 30 min ago and flipped grabbed a gun and just gonna shoot anything that moves. The truck that just deliverd to your local store could have been late and got cussed by the store ,his company and is thinking to hell with it next idiot that gets in front of me and does somthing stupid I'm just gonna plow over. Regretfully we live in a world that we take chances every second of every day but hay thats life.You can live it and have fun or stay locked away in your safe spot and watch it go by...................
 Byrd
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2005 9:04:26 PM
Yes norolim knows what shes talkin about listen to her there was a gal on here last year ended up getting beat up by some wack job, he even beat up her dog...I recall this girl writing about it there's alot of weirdos out there girls, it's better to be safe than sorry.. I was held aganist my will as a kid and there's no fear worse than that of knowing your going to die some ***hole decided he's going to play god and take your life..People that say " Don't take life too seriously, have fun, don't check people out.." Their wrong. Check everybody out. All it takes is one weirdo to ruin your life..Be safe.
 Scream1969
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/8/2005 9:27:49 PM
I'm not saying you shouldn't exercise some caution when meeting someone for the first time, but it's a question of degree. Eventually, you've got to trust someone. Many of my friends and neighbours have security systems installed in their house that they get to punch keys on every time they open and close their doors and windows, and that's further than I'm willing to go in impacting my personal freedom, so everyone has their own balance of how much they'll allow the few crazies out there to impact their day to day life.

At some point, all this crap you do means they've won, and you've lost as you're a slave to whatever processes you follow to make yourself feel safe. It is of course up to each individual to decide for themselves what that point is.
 dotcalm
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/9/2005 12:09:54 PM
Byrd!

I don't take life too seriously when I am with people I know well and trust and feel safe with.
Be it on the net or anywhere in real life,having some good street sense, can go a long way and save you a lot of trouble.

Having your head in the clouds or the other extreme of living in absolute fear and paranoia, is not having a life at all.

'Fools rush in...' What is the hurry with so many to meet, get naked and then have THE TALK? lol
Nobody has a squeaky-clean past and if they claim they do, then that raises some questions, too.

If I started to feel like I need to check out some guy's criminal record, etc., then I ought to be listening to my gut feelings, better. I don't really need to qualify it much more than that, other than to say, 'bye!'

At this point in my life I know when a man is hiding something and being kind of aloof with half truths.
And I am cautious and proud of it!

My safety rules are;

I don't let anyone pressure me into doing anything I don't want to.
I don't give out any personal info, until I am ready, to.
We meet where I am comfortable.
I don't let them drive me home. I can cab it.
I don't invite anyone over to my home until I know them and feel safe and comfortable.

This helps me screen out the questionable guys from the majority of good guys that are out there.
 happening
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/9/2005 4:22:33 PM
I totally agree with "norolim" Excellent advise!!!! Its always a good idea to be careful, but don't be too paranoid!!! Statistically, the odds are very, very low meeting a "physco" on the net, maybe more chance meeting a weirdo or freak but not serial killers!!! As a precaution, meet for lunch, rather than dinner, as it is lighter outside and there are more people around!! If you find you like the guy, and want to see him again, get him to give you his full name and address for your address book!! If he's willing to do that, then he probably doesn't have anything to hide, so you can relax!! Do a record check on him if you want to be more at ease!! Taker Easy!!
 BarnBabe
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/9/2005 4:57:13 PM
Okay.. I need the jaw dropping icon. Just imagine it here.

Everyone's agreeing with me? Did Hell just freeze over? I'm frightened now!

By the by I work in law enforcement too.. and yes there are baddies out there that will not be found until/unless they want to be. I can't tell you how many times I've run a couple (out on a date) and one of them turned out to be a violent registered sex offender. Think his date was aware of that? Nope! Bet she wasn't!
 happening
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/9/2005 7:09:02 PM
Yeah!! But did they meet on the internet!!? I agree there are a lot of real creeps in this world, but not many real sex offender will waste their time trying to get women to meet them online!! They want NOW!!

Don't get me wrong, it is always best to play it safe and follow the above rules, just don't be too freaked about meeting people; because that's ultimately why we are all here. Life's a chance!! Be cautious and take some!!!
 BarnBabe
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/9/2005 7:59:31 PM
Happening, fact is you never know. Why wouldn't they try to pick up women on the internet? Some are more patient than others, not all of them need a "right now". Look at the ones who seduce young children. They work for YEARS to "groom" the kid into what they want. Why wouldn't an adult take a week or two to pick up a woman from the net to bag her?

Look at how many women in these forums complain about stalkers (real life and forum stalkers) Same thing.
 gbg1964
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/9/2005 8:56:48 PM
You will meet all kinds of people in many walks of form in life. Meeting someone from the net, can be risky. You can weed out the weirdos pretty quickly, providing you are not a vulnerable person.

Remember, alot of these people target on someone who sounds "needy and niave". They rarely go after someone who is confident and well rounded.

Insist on meeting in an open place with lots of people in it. When you leave the establishment, watch him/her get in their car. Make a mental note of the make, model, and try to remember the first 3 digits of the license plate.

When you are driving off, watch to see that you are not being followed home by that car. If you are do not pull over and ask him/her what they are doing. Instead, drive to the nearest police station, fire dept, hospital.

I actually was chatting with a guy on here for a bit, and he wanted me to meet him in a park at midnight for a picinic. HUGE flags went off in my head. I said ummm no. That was the end of our conversation. I blocked him after that.

Anyone who is genuine will have no issues about meeting in a public place. Once you have established contact, watch their body language. Listen to what they are talking about. Ask alot of questions. If they are too closed mouth about telling you about themselves, then flags should be raising in your head.

Just be smart and observe.
 BarnBabe
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/9/2005 10:28:08 PM
^^ Great advise on if you're followed.

Police dept parking lots have video cameras. And there's generally usually a cop around there somewhere. But if you use the Sheriffs Dept bear in mind that sub stations aren't always manned. Dispatchers can and sometimes are kept in seperate buildings, but sub stations can be open on a 9-5 basis (or sometimes you can catch shift changes).

But if you are being followed, don't stop your car until there's a cop in sight, even if it means doing doughnuts in the parking lot.
 fl_cntry_boy
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2005 11:52:40 PM
But if you are being followed, don't stop your car until there's a cop in sight, even if it means doing doughnuts in the parking lot.

First norolim sit down take a deep breath and no I'm sure hades is still quite warm.

Norolim just hit the nail square If your on a date and it starts going sour and flags are flying get the heck outa there. If you can plan where you are meating go there before hand so you know the layout.If you can find a place with the a exit close to the bathroom. Why? if your date dosnt relize your seing flags you can excuse yourself without him being suspicious and vamoose.
If you leave and relize your being followed find a cop if you cant find a cop then do doughnuts in a public area while blowing your horn heck drive backwards the wrong way on a one way ATTRACT attention to you if you do the above you wont hafto look the officer will find you.....
One more thing if you even feel the least uncomfortable about having the date then do'nt!! Trust your feelings.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > people please be careful on here and anywhere